ADVERTISEMENT

Who should return punts in 2019?

If Gest is playing I’d give him that opportunity to contribute. I would think he is way down the list at rb and don’t see him contributing much on offense. He runs hard and could be a real asset for it.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and CC Mac
A Defensive Back with sure hands...

Punt returns for serious yardage are rare. I'd rather have a guy who won't muff it and who is a certain tackler in the event of a trick play (something every team has in its play book).

We need another Harris from 2017 to return punts. The punt return was a real threat that year and I hope it is once again in 2019.

Reactions: ESalum86
center fielder skills in being able to cover a lot of ground, judge quickly where the ball is going, and how far it will carry.

best hands, ability to catch the low line drives now popular, and ability to catch a punt on the run, especially running in.

less concerned about return yrs.

would love to see the stats on yards lost after the ball bounces, vs yds gained on a return.

goal should be for as few punts as possible to ever hit the ground.

Reactions: Crossblock
center fielder skills in being able to cover a lot of ground, judge quickly where the ball is going, and how far it will carry.

best hands, ability to catch the low line drives now popular, and ability to catch a punt on the run, especially running in.

would love to see the stats on yards lost after the ball bounces, vs yds gained on a return.

As a coach the yardage used by most was losing 15 yds. I never saw breakdown on what the reality was but 15 yds is a good guess based on experience.

That’s been a peeve of mine for years - IU seems to lose 50+ yds. a game in field position by not catching punts.

A Defensive Back with sure hands...

Punt returns for serious yardage are rare. I'd rather have a guy who won't muff it and who is a certain tackler in the event of a trick play (something every team has in its play book).
That's a WR(a DB with good hands)! Lol!! No, just kidding, sort of. Jaylin Williams is so fast that he should be a candidate. If he ever gets in the open field, he'd be such a HR threat.

That's a WR(a DB with good hands)! Lol!! No, just kidding, sort of. Jaylin Williams is so fast that he should be a candidate. If he ever gets in the open field, he'd be such a HR threat.

Yeah, I think I'm describing Mullins or Williams (both DB's) but we'll have to wait till we face Ball State at the Luke to see who won the job...

Truthfully, with our "Special Teams", I'm just looking for plays and players that don't hurt us, versus the sometimes "Keystone Kops" routine that happened when it often hurt the most, last year...

With all the talk of the horrors letting the ball hit the ground or fumbling the punt, why not try something unique?

Put someone like Marcelino back as a last resort tackler, and sell out 10 men to block the punt. If they get the punt off, don't even have him try to field it. Just run away from it.

Reactions: vesuvius13
With all the talk of the horrors letting the ball hit the ground or fumbling the punt, why not try something unique?

Put someone like Marcelino back as a last resort tackler, and sell out 10 men to block the punt. If they get the punt off, don't even have him try to field it. Just run away from it.
Yeah, but then they'll just down the punt inside the 20 every time.

Also, they could just leak out the long snapper for a 5 yd floater from the punter. No one lines up in front of the LS. It's too easy if you rush all 10.

i'd consider going the exact opposite direction.

i'd rather see 2 guys back sometimes, and increase the odds the punt never hits the ground. (and not chance running into the kicker all the time).

as i said before, returner needs center fielder skills.

punting has changed a lot the last several yrs, and the line drive with roll out has become increasingly popular rather than just focusing on carry yards.

as with all things, what strategy the opposing team's kicker uses should be factored in.

those big on the low line drive with a lot of roll need a new strategy against, and return teams have not really adjusted to that rugby kick yet.

don't let it bounce is more important than return yds imo in the field position battle.

as i said before, center fielder skills should be qualification one.

What do you think of the AAF eliminating special teams altogether?
I would be okay with it. It would speed up the game too. Just about anything would be an improvement over the fair catch rule.

Wow, you have pointed out just how many things to consider when a staff chooses the return guy. Good insights. Excellent judgements and instincts needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT