ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Von Jones on CNN?

toastedbread

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2006
I just heard him state that Obama is responsible for low gas prices!!! I can't imagine he actually believes that. Even a dummy knows that the current low prices are the result of global economic and geopolitical factors far beyond the reach of BHO. Jones has 0 credibility if he is spouting nonsense like that.

Well...

Perhaps Jones is just wondering why the same people who blamed Obama for high gas prices won't now credit him for low prices.

I, for one, will not credit him much for low prices, but then I didn't blame him for the higher prices, either. Like you, I think gas prices are largely out of the President's hands. Maybe not entirely out of his hands, but almost.

goat

No...

He was listing President Obama's accomplishments. I do agree with your 2nd paragraph.

that's because the president sort of... kind of... took credit for that....

in his speech... in a very indirect manner.... even though most of the informed public know otherwise....

I'm sure you're right

I only said it to highlight the fact that I can't even count the number of times that "smart" conservatives - including most of the ones on this board - have blamed Obama for higher gas prices and claimed explicitly that they were due to his energy policies.

goat

This post was edited on 11/6 12:17 AM by TheOriginalHappyGoat

Are you claiming the President has helped fracking?

Presidents are just straped on the rocket of energy cost with duck tape. The pipline would really help, and the voters yesterday know it. The voter demographic that fails to understand the oil market is not the business wing of the Republican Party. "Come on man"

Huh?

You better do that one again.
tongue.r191677.gif

It's not hard to understand.

Hell the President is touting lower gas prices and everyone knows he dosn't have a damn thing to do with it. He needs to approve the Keystone Pipeline. The percentage of people who understand the oil market from production to the pump is very small and it isn't the group that can't get a picture ID. Most couldn't understand the simple concept of refinery price plus transportation cost plus markup at the point of distribution and that is elementary compared to the world market. Leadership would help the producers in the face of the house of Saud trying to undercut the price.

Ah, I see the problem.

You're crazy.

As I said: I don't credit the President for the low gas prices for the same reasons I didn't blame him for high gas prices.

End. Of. Story.

Soooooooo, what happens when the pipeline gets approved and. . .

Has absolutely no effect on gas prices? How do we blame Obama then? Do we say he took too long to approve it and that's why it didn't work?

Affecting gas prices is not the only slice in the pie

and that ship may have already sailed, as prices are way down as a result of reduced demand, over production, and a ton of surplus above ground. That does not mean that the pipeline will not have benefits. Canada's other choice is China - I would rather that we be the ones taking their oil. Jobs will be created even if prices do not fall further. This also messes with Russia's and Saudi Arabia's economy.

The real issue, IMO, is - what happens if the price of oil falls below $70 - the point where many say it is no longer cost effective to extract it from shale? Methinks we don't want the price to drop much further.

What pie are we talking about?

I haven't done my typical research on this, but as I understand it, TransCanada wants approval of the Keystone pipeline so it can cost-effectively transport its shale oil across our country to Southern US ports for export to countries like China. This would create some jobs here, but if I understand correctly, we'd be threatening our aquifers so TransCanada would have a cheaper way to make money on its exports.

And Republicans hale this as infrastructure investment (the only infrastructure investment the GOP supports), but once again as I understand it, it's TransCanada's infrastructure we're supporting and not our own. TransCanada isn't proposing to build the United States a bright shiny new 21st-century infrastructure, it's proposing to make money on an environmentally risky pipeline through our country.

We don't need the TransCanada pipeline. TransCanada does. It's a mystery to me why this has become a key demand of the Republican Party. Who are you guys working for?

Also, by the way, why the hell are Republicans suddenly against low energy prices? If low energy prices mean we don't need fracking, that ought to be a good thing, right?

We want the price of energy to be zero. Nations like Iran, Russia, and Saudi Arabia want it to be infinity. Aren't we getting confused here?

It already has.

Gas prices are lower now since the oil companies are trying to stop this. If they can convence enough "people" that it isn't needed then they can stop it and go back to business as usual.

Oh, that tired old refrain again?

We heard over and over again how the Alaska Pipeline was going to be an environmentally risky venture. The naysayers were as wrong about that as they are about the Keystone Pipeline.

They weren't wrong.

"Risky" doesn't mean "guaranteed to fail." It just means "risky."

EDIT: Also, as an aside, I couldn't help but notice you felt compelled to dismiss Rock's post as a "tired old refrain" based on one throwaway descriptor that made up a tiny amount of his content and had no bearing whatsoever on any of his actual points.

goat

This post was edited on 11/6 3:17 PM by TheOriginalHappyGoat

Huh?

The supposed environmental risk has been Obama's objection all along. Rock is grasping at staws.

Can we compare that to the number of times the "smart"

liberals credited Obama's economic policies for the gains in the stock market but refuse to blame him when the msrket goes down. You see Goat, there are a lot of "smart" people who post here who are wrong about a lot of things from both sides of the aisle.

No.

Because that's not what this is about.

FWIW, the President probably has more control over the market as a whole than over the prices of a particular commodity, especially oil. But even that is going to be on a serious lag.

But just a few months ago, many, many regular posters on this board explicitly blamed Obama for gas prices. Where are they now? This is a specific instance of hypocritical partisan bullshit that exists within our little online world within the living memories of all of us. I was just throwing it out there casually, but since more than one of you seem to have a problem with it, fine, I'll double down: every single one of you who blamed Obama for higher gas prices who doesn't also give him credit for lower gas prices is a jackass, plain and simple, and any claim you have to being objective about these types of issues is permanently void.

goat

I can make the same claim about any of you who claimed Obama's

economic policies made the market go up but didb't make the market go down. Please don't tell that you don't remember that.
Now, you can' t show me one post where I ever bkamed Obama for high gas prices so you would lose your double diwn with me on this issue.
FWIW, my point is, which obviously went right over your head, is thst there are plenty of people here on both sides of the aisle who are wrong about a lot of things

Well you're right there...

...the thing is I am getting very tired of the "you do it too" excuses, because I think they have become default justification for continuing to get it wrong.

That I agree with and again, both sides are guilty,

and both sides are wrong but just too stubborn to admit it.

This post was edited on 11/6 11:25 PM by IUJay1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT