ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the last former IU player who has had a son

VanPastorMan

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2002
Central Pennsylvania Via Washington Indiana
who played Division 1 basketball? The reason I am asking is because Zionsville's kicker is the son of Adam Vinatieri and it got me thinking of IU basketball. I can't think of one player who had a son who played Division 1. Damon Bailey's son played or plays in college but I thought it was a lower division.

who played Division 1 basketball? The reason I am asking is because Zionsville's kicker is the son of Adam Vinatieri and it got me thinking of IU basketball. I can't think of one player who had a son who played Division 1. Damon Bailey's son played or plays in college but I thought it was a lower division.
Dan Dackich

Reactions: kkott
Technically, Marty Simmons played for IU and his son played for him a E'ville.

Daryl Thomas' son will play D1. He has offers from Illannoy and Nebraska.

Reactions: .Gerdis and kkott
Marty Simmons is now the head coach at Eastern Illinois.

Last edited:
He is a decent coach isn't he? I always thought he did decent at Evansville for what Evansville is. In interviews I always appreciated his take on things. He's an interesting person. I didn't realize he was at Eastern.
Aces really messed up letting Marty go. The Walter McCarty saga set UE back for years. The Evansville administration has not made good decisions re the bball Aces program for years.

ISU Sycamores AD REALLY Screwed Up in firing Greg Lansing. Lansing did a solid job in THaute and was well-liked in the community. The new AD wanted "his own man", and fired Lansing. ISU's best 3 players promptly transferred out of the program, and ISU went from a strong contender to win the MVC this coming season to an also-ran. It will be interesting to see if ISU can overcome what I believe is a huge mistake.

Management mess ups, sound familiar, IU fans?

Aces really messed up letting Marty go. The Walter McCarty saga set UE back for years. The Evansville administration has not made good decisions re the bball Aces program for years.

ISU Sycamores AD REALLY Screwed Up in firing Greg Lansing. Lansing did a solid job in THaute and was well-liked in the community. The new AD wanted "his own man", and fired Lansing. ISU's best 3 players promptly transferred out of the program, and ISU went from a strong contender to win the MVC this coming season to an also-ran. It will be interesting to see if ISU can overcome what I believe is a huge mistake.

Management mess ups, sound familiar, IU fans?
UE hiring Walter McCarty was obviously a terrible decision. But that doesn’t mean firing Simmons wasn’t. The program had stagnated badly under Simmons’ leadership.

And what I’d say about the McCarty debacle is that, despite how that turned out (because of Walter’s boundless lechery…which was well-known to those who know him), it at least did demonstrate that a program like UE doesn’t have to settle for being a doormat with a “well, that’s the best we can do” mentality.

That doesn’t mean Marty’s an awful coach. The Aces had their moments while he was there. But they needed to boost their recruiting to compete in the MVC, and that just wasn’t Simmons’ forte.

McCarty edged out Calbert which proved to be unfortunate.
Now they go with Lickliter which could prove the same.

UE hiring Walter McCarty was obviously a terrible decision. But that doesn’t mean firing Simmons wasn’t. The program had stagnated badly under Simmons’ leadership.

And what I’d say about the McCarty debacle is that, despite how that turned out (because of Walter’s boundless lechery…which was well-known to those who know him), it at least did demonstrate that a program like UE doesn’t have to settle for being a doormat with a “well, that’s the best we can do” mentality.

That doesn’t mean Marty’s an awful coach. The Aces had their moments while he was there. But they needed to boost their recruiting to compete in the MVC, and that just wasn’t Simmons’ forte.
I don't think that Lichlyter (sp) will recruit any better though. Lickis a nice and professional man for sure. Thoughts on Lansing?

I don't think that Lichlyter (sp) will recruit any better though. Lickis a nice and professional man for sure. Thoughts on Lansing?
Maybe not. But my point is that McCarty proved that it’s not impossible to get better recruits.

And, yes, I respect Todd Lickliter a lot. He actually had resigned as an assistant for McCarty once he figured out what Walter was up to. Then he agreed to come back as interim HC after Walter was let go.

That shows integrity.

Reactions: brebelle3
or desperation
Perhaps. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm really referring more to Lickliter's resignation than the acceptance of the job after Walter was fired. If his primary motivation was financial or professional desperation, he probably wouldn't have resigned. His resignation was really one of the first public signs that something was amiss.

ADVERTISEMENT