ADVERTISEMENT

Who is on your all time IU defensive team

Shirtsandskins

All-Big Ten
Apr 10, 2016
Disclaimer: Im 51 and I have lived out of state for most of my life so that means through much of the 70s and 80s I lived in a virtual IUFB blackout since very few of their games were on tv, so my knowledge is limited

Safety
Mike Dumas
Mike Middleton

Corner
Tracy Porter
?

Linebacker
Van Waiters
Tegray Scales
?

Dline
Nolan Harrison
Adewale Ogunleye
Victor Adeyanju
Nathan Davis

Reactions: vesuvius13
Disclaimer: Im 51 and I have lived out of state for most of my life so that means through much of the 70s and 80s I lived in a virtual IUFB blackout since very few of their games were on tv, so my knowledge is limited

Safety
Mike Dumas
Mike Middleton

Corner
Tracy Porter
?

Linebacker
Van Waiters
Tegray Scales
?

Dline
Nolan Harrison
Adewale Ogunleye
Victor Adeyanju
Nathan Davis
All those guys you mentioned are worthy for sure. But any list must start with Joe Norman at LB. I was too young to remember in detail anybody before the Rose Bowl team (and even then, I mostly recall our offensive players). In all the years since, I am confident in saying that Joe Norman and Van Waiters are the most dominant defensive players I've seen at IU.

Good to see greats like Joe Norman and Van Waiters mentioned as they definitely were the best 2 in my years of watching IU. 3rd LB?? Will mention a few candidates from time as a fan... Willie Bates, Mark Weiler, Jamie Baisley, Al Thurman, Scales.

DT/DEs - Walt Harris, Joe Huff, Hurvin McCormick, Charles Beauchamp, Troy Drake, Nolan Harrison, Wale Ogunleye, Nate Davis, Bobby Richardson, Victor Adeyanju.

DBs - Tim Wilbur, Chris Dyer, Bryan DeWitz, Dart Ramsey, Leonard Bell, Alex Green, Mike Dumas, Tracy Porter, Marc Ferry, Mose Richardson.

This goes back to even before my time following the Hoosiers, but Dave Whitsell was a defensive back at IU who played 12 seasons in the NFl with Detroit, Chicago and New Orleans. He had 46 career interceptions in the pros, including 10 with the Saints in 1967 when he scored twice.
I remember Whitsell's pro career, but, I believe he played primarily Offense in College and was moved to DB once he got to the Pros.

Good to see greats like Joe Norman and Van Waiters mentioned as they definitely were the best 2 in my years of watching IU. 3rd LB?? Will mention a few candidates from time as a fan... Willie Bates, Mark Weiler, Jamie Baisley, Al Thurman, Scales.

DT/DEs - Walt Harris, Joe Huff, Hurvin McCormick, Charles Beauchamp, Troy Drake, Nolan Harrison, Wale Ogunleye, Nate Davis, Bobby Richardson, Victor Adeyanju.

DBs - Tim Wilbur, Chris Dyer, Bryan DeWitz, Dart Ramsey, Leonard Bell, Alex Green, Mike Dumas, Tracy Porter, Marc Ferry, Mose Richardson.
Great List that I couldn't have come up with off the top of my head. But here are a couple of additions for all of us old farts.

1. Earl Faison DE- played both ways at IU in the late 50's and had a great professional career primarily with the Chargers in the 1960's.

2. Donnie Thomas LB - Great Player with IU in the early 1970's. A tackling machine with what at that time was the prototype NFL Middle Linebacker Body (6'3"" about 255).

3. George Taliferio - I believe the first black football player at IU and member of the 1945 Big Ten Championship Team. A tailback who went on to play professionally with the Eagles, Colts, and New York Bulldogs of the old All American Conference.

4. Larry Highbaugh DB- Played in the late 1960's, and was not only a Corner Back, but also a kick return man and member of the Track Team. Had a Professional Career of about a dozen years in the Canadian Football League, and is a member of the CFL Hall of Fame. Is also the Uncle or Great Uncle of former IU Quarterback Tre Roberson.

5. Kemp Rasmussen DE - A more recent player (1990's) With Height of 6'7'', a large wind span, and the athletic ability to be a great pass rusher. played several years in the NFL.

Safety
Mike Dumas
Mike Middleton

Corner
Tracy Porter
?

Linebacker
Van Waiters
Tegray Scales
?

Dline
Nolan Harrison
Adewale Ogunleye
Victor Adeyanju
Nathan Davis
how could you possibly forget carl barzilaukas?

I would leave Tracy Porter off the list! Yea he had a pro career, but he was one of the worst dbs ive ever seen in college! I dont know how he made it to the next level! All I remember him doing in college was getting burnt left and right! Id put Fant in his place!

I loved seeing Joey Eloms on someone's list. I had totally forgotten about him, and he was a great athlete that actually played both sides of the ball when times were rough.

I can think of a bunch of defensive backs that had one good year, but never really broke through:

Tim Bennett
Damion Jones
Cedric Henry
Ball
Greg Heban

Regarding Porter...the dude had a 100 yard interception return his first game as a true freshman. He, like every college DB, was occasionally burned, but he was a ball hawk and the best we've had in the past twenty years. The first half of our 14-7 loss to UConn in 2006 saw TP intercept two passes and block a field goal. Get outta town.

I remember Whitsell's pro career, but, I believe he played primarily Offense in College and was moved to DB once he got to the Pros.
Back in the 1950s most players played both ways, so he probably did offensive duty. I don't believe colleges went to two platoon until maybe the mid 60s, but I'm not certain which year. I first started watching him with the Bears.

Jabar Robinson at LB
Damon Watts DB
Nate Davis DT
Kemp Rasmussen DE

Up front, we've had some nice players. Greg Middleton, Jamie Kirlew, Wale Ogunleye, Troy Drake, Beauchamp, Whittington and Lamer Mills would work. Take your pick type deal.

Jamie Baisley, Tegray Scales and Chris Covington could/should be in their at LB.

In the backfield, Greg Yeldell, Damon Watts, Mike Dumas, and Tracy Porter, would be hard to best.

Last edited:
Probably because he's only 51. I'm older than that and I don't remember Carl Barzilauskas either. My IU football memories start in the mid-70's, probably '75 or '76.

Unfortunately for us all, the days are long, but the years are short.
Barzilauskas played for a couple of years when i was there (74-76). he was drafted by the New York Jets and played a number of years in the NFl. One other thing he is known for in Bloomington. He used part of his NFL money to go into business with a Group to buy and run a Bar that was located on Walnut, just a few storefronts south of seventh Street. It carried his nickname, Barzo's Blitz. It was a pretty popular watering hole when I was there.

I would view Van Waiters as more of a DE than a LB..........I know he's listed as a LB, but essentially his thing was rushing the passer. He was also quite defending the end of the line on running plays.

I'd say Barzo, Norman, Wally O., Waiters, T. Porter, Wilbur, Dumas, Scales are all post-1970 no doubters. If you want to go back to the '60s, Cruzan is a no doubter at DT, and you'd have to try to find a place for Sniadecki & Kaczmarek at LB.

Last edited:

Safety
Mike Dumas
Mike Middleton

Corner
Tracy Porter
?

Linebacker
Van Waiters
Tegray Scales
?

Dline
Nolan Harrison
Adewale Ogunleye
Victor Adeyanju
Nathan Davis

Joe Huff has to be on this LB list. He was a B1G and All-American selection in '88, Defensive MVP of the Liberty Bowl in 88. Team Defensive MVP in '88. Team Captain in 87 & 88. Help lead the team to 3 straight bowl games.

Safety
Mike Dumas
Mike Middleton

Corner
Tracy Porter
?

Linebacker
Van Waiters
Tegray Scales
?

Dline
Nolan Harrison
Adewale Ogunleye
Victor Adeyanju
Nathan Davis

My post-1960 IU Defense:

DE Adewale Ogunleye & Van Waiters....others: Joe Huff
DT: Doug Crusan & Carl Barzilauskas
LBs: Joe Norman, Tegray Scales, Jim Snaidecki....others: Ken Kaczmarek, Donnie Thomas
DBs: Mike Dumas, Tracy Porter, Tim Wilbur, Marv Woodson (?)...others: Eric Allen, Rashard Fant

comments---I listed Woodson on the assumption that he was a two-way player at IU....he was a very fine NFL DB, but played TB/WR at IU......not sure but assume he also played DB? If not Eric Allen, then Rashard Fant, but I do think both are a little bit of a reach..

I believe it was around 1993/94 that our DL consisted of Bernard Whitington & Lamar Mills at DE & Hurvin McCormick & Troy Drake at the tackle spots. Individually maybe not our best players; collectively that line was a beast.

All four of them played on Sundays, too. I believe McCormick is a Super Bowl champion.

Joe Norman was the best LB ever at IU, bar none. He was all over the field on some pretty mediocre Corso teams. He was a one man wrecking crew. Tim Wilbur was pretty special at Safety. The guy had a knack for the ball.

Mike Dumas and Watts were great back there as well.
Tim Wilbur made one of the top 3 plays I've seen by an IU football player when he returned the punt for a TD in the Holiday Bowl. BYU was letting the ball roll dead when Wilbur flew in and grabbed it. Huge balls

Joe Norman was the best LB ever at IU, bar none. He was all over the field on some pretty mediocre Corso teams. He was a one man wrecking crew. Tim Wilbur was pretty special at Safety. The guy had a knack for the ball.

Mike Dumas and Watts were great back there as well.

will always remember the time Norman jumped over the linemen in front of him and really stuck it to the running back.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
My post-1960 IU Defense:

DE Adewale Ogunleye & Van Waiters....others: Joe Huff
DT: Doug Crusan & Carl Barzilauskas
LBs: Joe Norman, Tegray Scales, Jim Snaidecki....others: Ken Kaczmarek, Donnie Thomas
DBs: Mike Dumas, Tracy Porter, Tim Wilbur, Marv Woodson (?)...others: Eric Allen, Rashard Fant

comments---I listed Woodson on the assumption that he was a two-way player at IU....he was a very fine NFL DB, but played TB/WR at IU......not sure but assume he also played DB? If not Eric Allen, then Rashard Fant, but I do think both are a little bit of a reach..

1003-H-B-07.gif

1963 Playboy All American Team

Marv Woodson 40 Halfback, bottom row, 2nd from left. (guy behind him in pic in the orange helmet with stripe is Butkus).

i only remember MV as a running back, (very smooth) but i was young, and don't remember defensive players from then.

Barzilauskas played for a couple of years when i was there (74-76). he was drafted by the New York Jets and played a number of years in the NFl. One other thing he is known for in Bloomington. He used part of his NFL money to go into business with a Group to buy and run a Bar that was located on Walnut, just a few storefronts south of seventh Street. It carried his nickname, Barzo's Blitz. It was a pretty popular watering hole when I was there.

i remember when Barzo got recruited it got big pub in the Btown paper when recruiting didn't get much pub back then, as i think he was a really highly regarded recruit.

iirc, he was recruited following our Rose Bowl yr.

another player whose recruitment got play back then was Larry Highbaugh, due to his HS track fame, though i don't remember him playing defense, just running back. (Highbaugh and Mike Goodrich also excelled on the track team).

1003-H-B-07.gif

Marv Woodson 40 Halfback, bottom row, 2nd from left. (guy behind him in pic in the orange helmet with stripe is Butkus).

i only remember MV as a running back, (very smooth) but i was young, and don't remember defensive players from then.
IU had both Woodson and Nate Ramsey in the backfields of the early 60s. Ramsey actually had a longer pro career since he played 11 seasons, 10 with the Eagles, and had 21 career interceptions. Woodson had six seasons and had 18 interceptions. Those early 60s teams had some good talent, with Tom Nowatzke playing eight seasons in the NFL and Don Croftcheck played three. Speaking of those years, has anyone else seen an ad on TV with Dr. Joe Maroon saying how he has kept his physique all these years? I'm almost certain that is the former Hoosier running back of that period.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners

Safety
Mike Dumas
Mike Middleton

Corner
Tracy Porter
?

Linebacker
Van Waiters
Tegray Scales
?

Dline
Nolan Harrison
Adewale Ogunleye
Victor Adeyanju
Nathan Davis
Joe Norman and Van Waiters for LB.

Tim Wilbur has to be a DB.

Nickle beer night at the Blitz. Oh yeah......

1003-H-B-07.gif

Although IU's football tradition is obviously not great, I wish we'd do more to honor the great players we have had..........I know Fred tried to do that we the banners they just took down, but those things were kind of ugly and arbitrary......this kind of picture would be a welcome.....and Fred's a big statute guy, so why can't we get statutes of Bo with George T and Pete Pihos (arguably IU's greatest player) on one end and Bill Mallory with AT on the other?

1003-H-B-07.gif

Top row, left to right: Ken Kortas, Tackle — Louisville; Jim Kelly, End — Notre Dame; Harrison Rosdahl, Tackle — Penn State; Hal Bedsole, End — USC. Middle Row, left to right: Jack Cvercko, Guard — Northwestern; Dick Butkus, Center — Illinois; Damon Bame, Guard — USC; Ara Parseghian, Coach of the Year — Northwestern. Bottom Row, left to right: Rick Leeson, Fullback — Pittsburgh; Marv Woodson, Halfback — Indiana; Tom Myers, Quarterback — Northwestern; Larry Dupree, Halfback — Florida

Nickle beer night at the Blitz. Oh yeah......
Much better than Nickel Beer night at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium during Indians Games, and certainly less controversial than Nickel Beer Night/Disco Demolition Night at old Comiskey Park.

Reactions: DANC
Top row, left to right: Ken Kortas, Tackle — Louisville; Jim Kelly, End — Notre Dame; Harrison Rosdahl, Tackle — Penn State; Hal Bedsole, End — USC. Middle Row, left to right: Jack Cvercko, Guard — Northwestern; Dick Butkus, Center — Illinois; Damon Bame, Guard — USC; Ara Parseghian, Coach of the Year — Northwestern. Bottom Row, left to right: Rick Leeson, Fullback — Pittsburgh; Marv Woodson, Halfback — Indiana; Tom Myers, Quarterback — Northwestern; Larry Dupree, Halfback — Florida

How great would it have been to watch Butkis in college? If you look at Illinois' record just before he went there and during his time there, he might have had the most influence of any single non-QB or TB ever on the success of his college team. He played both C on offense and LB on D, and might have been the best college C ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT