ADVERTISEMENT

Who is next man up

Brockettman

Freshman
Mar 6, 2020
Ok Trey is gone , so let’s move on. Who is next up on our recruiting list. Miller looks good , so how do we stand with him. He sounds more like a 3 or 4 , and with Dumcomb in the middle that seems like a really good fit. Let’s stop whining about who is not coming and start looking forward to who is.

Ok Trey is gone , so let’s move on. Who is next up on our recruiting list. Miller looks good , so how do we stand with him. He sounds more like a 3 or 4 , and with Dumcomb in the middle that seems like a really good fit. Let’s stop whining about who is not coming and start looking forward to who is.
It's not a long list (Miller and Aminu Mohammed, pretty much I think!) and something I do think Archie could be rightly criticized for, is not having more irons in the fire. It's worked for him until this year, but he's definitely taken much more of a rifle approach to Tom Crean's scatter gun. Maybe there's a happy medium that might serve us well. Maybe he'll get some help this year with an expanded list of transfers, but the "regular" 2021 class was hurt greatly by TK's decision. And as an example, MP had Furst, TK and Ingram that he was going after. Wasn't a factor when he was landing his top targets, but I think it's a reasonable discussion.

Miller and Aminu. After that it turns to spring recruiting. Keep in mind every player can transfer without sitting out starting next Spring. This could be a class where Logan is our only incoming freshman, but we could have sophomores/juniors/seniors also transferring in.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Durham and Brunk can come back next year. 5th year Al Durham is a lot better than many freshman guards. Same for 7th year (crazy) Joey Brunk in the front court.

Miller and Aminu. After that it turns to spring recruiting. Keep in mind every player can transfer without sitting out starting next Spring. This could be a class where Logan is our only incoming freshman, but we could have sophomores/juniors/seniors also transferring in.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Durham and Brunk can come back next year. 5th year Al Durham is a lot better than many freshman guards. Same for 7th year (crazy) Joey Brunk in the front court.
Is this open transfer thing a done deal, or just something folks have read is being considered? I'd not heard that, but I do belive all winter sport athletes this year can bet an extra year of eligibility if they want it.

Is this open transfer thing a done deal, or just something folks have read is being considered? I'd not heard that, but I do belive all winter sport athletes this year can bet an extra year of eligibility if they want it.
It’s a done deal.

Reactions: kkott
The NCAA has granted that year, but schools aren’t obligated to extend that same offer. Budgets are going to be very tight, and it’s unrealistic to believe that enough scholarship money will be available for every player who would like to extend. As much as anything, the scarcity of scholarships for that extra year will drive whatever additional transfer activity we might see.

starting at center....a 6 foot 11 Doctorate Student.... Joey Brunk.

I believe Brunk is in year 5 now, and next year would be 6. Race Thompson and Jerome will also have that option down the road.

mixed up players names. I meant Settles. I know Street passed. Sorry for mix up.
thought so. Street's death was tough...good clean kid, played hard and was skilled. He, Nover and Painter were all friends (maybe played with/against on the AAU circuit). I read that when the news broke, Nover and Painter talked on the phone for an hour (both were still at IU/Purdue).

And it's well documented, Jess Settles spent 17 yrs as a player for Dr Tom. He finally used up his eligibility when he turned 40 yrs old (TIC...sort of).

I remember quite a few IU players going up into the seating area and visiting with Mr. and Mrs. Street after we played them in Iowa City. CS and MN played together on a Big 10 team that toured somewhere, and they were good friends. Sad times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT