ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the top impact players returning for IU next year on D.......

iuin1994

Sophomore
Feb 27, 2006
Looking at the year end D stats for IU, I added sacks, TFLs, interceptions, break-ups and forced fumbles, and considered those impact plays. There's a reason IU struggled on D. They only had four guys average at least one impact play per game. Unfortunately, 3 of them were seniors. (Flo Hardin had the most at 16.5, then Richardson and Bennett) Only Nate Hoff average at least one a game and returns. Eight guys had at least 10 and five of them return. Here is the top ten:

Nate Hoff--12
Chase Dutra--11
T.J. Simmons--10.5
Tegray Scales--10.5
Darius Latham--10
Antonio Allen--7.5
Nick Mangieri--7
Zack Shaw--7
Ralph Green--5.5
Rashard Fant--5

I think this shows a few things......

IU returns a solid LB core (particularly inside) and they really need some young guys (or new guys) to step up at CB.

I thought Dutra was the best safety all year, so it was interesting to see how many plays he made compared to others.

The DL has a chance to be pretty solid also. (particularly if IU moves Mangieri and/or Shaw to DL)

I really like Dutra, but Allen needs to step up.....

Allen isn't very good in coverage, and hasn't been that great against the run, which is supposed to be his strength. He missed ALOT of tackles. Watch Hunt's TD run from the Purdue game. I still see the long TD against Maryland, he was right there and whiffed. I do think the two of them and be a good combo, but right now I consider Dutra IUs clear #1 safety.

Agree - AA a big hitter when he connects...

but a liability in coverage... Always seems to bite on play action which I guess is somewhat understandable.
I like what we have coming back however and look forward to more improvement next year.

Re: Agree - AA a big hitter when he connects...

The last 3-4 games he started playing more confidently, not saying he didn't make mistakes, he just looked more comfortable and mature and was outstanding at ohio state

ehhh.....not too sure about that......

I do think Allen improved this year, but he was missing tackles/taking bad angles late in the year like he did at the start of the year.

As for Ohio State, I think he played good, but not outstanding. I'm sorry, but the two picks look great on paper, but on neither did Allen really make a play on the ball. Both were tipped passes. Now to his credit, he caught the ball. How many times have we seen an IU player drop a certain pick. But one of those picks was off a WR not catching the ball and the other was a nice play by Bennett.

This was where Dutra impressed me the most. All 3 of his picks were making plays on the ball in the air. It has been awhile since IU had a safety get to the hash, or to the sideline, and cut in front of the WR as the ball was arriving to get the pick.

Allen was all-big 10 honorable mention

dutra made some big plays, but allen played a lot more than dutra and was in on a lot more tackles.

no need to bag on allen. hes among iu's best defensive players.

If the D makes as much improvement next year as they did this year

in comparison to 2013, then we should have a fun year. Need Sudfield back and reaching his potential and a running back to step up for some solid runs as well as receivers not dropping balls. Wish Coleman would come back, but I fear that is to no avail.
This post was edited on 12/4 9:16 AM by Big Red Believer

Re: ehhh.....not too sure about that......

I want Allen on my team.

Re: ehhh.....not too sure about that......

Difference in a free and strong safety! Dutra is good when the balls in the air, free safeties need to be, Allen is in the box hard hitting safety, like a strong safety should. Together they will be dynamite next few years. Missed tackles are part of the game but his improvement was very visible which bodes well for IU in the coming years.

Not bagging on him, but watch the games.....

First of all, Dutra made more impact plays than Allen and as you said Allen played a lot more. Total tackles don't mean a whole lot, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Particularly if a DB is your leading tackler, that's more of an indictment of the D.

Allen can be very good, but he really needs to improve his pass coverage (Dutra far and away the best safety on the team there) and needs to improve his tackling. Way too many missed tackles.

Never said I didn't......just don't have blinders on........

Allen can be very good, but really needs to improve in coverage and decrease the missed tackles.

No kidding.....but even SS needs to be able to cover....

And if you're going to call Allen great, or very good, then he needs to be able to do both. Allen has a chance to be very good, but needs to improve in coverage and decrease the missed tackles. If you're going to tout Allen as a run stuffer, then he can't miss the number of tackles he did.

I do like the combo of Dutra and Allen and think they can be as good a pair as IU has had in quite some time.

Agree with this.....

I was a little surprised that the top 3 "impact" players were seniors, but still feel good about what is coming back. Particularly when you think about a guy like Gooch or Fant who didn't play much early, but were making plays at the end of the year.

Re: Never said I didn't......just don't have blinders on........

It's his first full season of D1 football for crying out loud! You expect Troy polamalu? He's young and getting better every game, all you can ask for in a young player, as you can tell by the latter part of the season. You discredit his ints in the OSU game but isn't that a product of being in the right position? He's gonna be All Conference when his ball skills improve but unless you are in the coaches meetings you don't know what coverages are blown or by who 90% of the time.

Looking at the games I TIVO'd, Allen

seemed slow to recognize and recover from runing fakes..he would freeze, and was not able to get to the receiver to prevent successful completions...Rutgers pass down the sidelines, and others....numerous...

A lot of whiffs on tackles, as has been mentioned..

Perhaps Dutra at Free and Woo at Strong would be the mix...don't know..

Re: Never said I didn't......just don't have blinders on........

I guess the big ten coaches and media need to take their blinders off too. ill take their opinion of allen.

Yes, and I never said he was terrible.....

and gave him credit for catching those INTs vs OSU because we have all seen IU players drop those in the past. My point is that he has plenty of room for improvement. Some on here seem to think he is already a top-flight player. I would argue Dutra is IUs best safety right now. We don't know who grades out better, but I was just looking at impact plays and those numbers are what they are.

Again, never said he played bad....just that he has plenty to

improve on. Sorry if you can't hear/read any criticism of an IU player. I've also said that he and Dutra can be a very good combo at safety moving forward, but you choose not to read that.

I agree, and think they can be a good combo moving forward.....

Dutra just surprised/impressed me with his play this year and I was hoping to see a little more from Allen. I forgot you can't say anything critical of someone without being a hater. (not referring to you)

Might be good to keep Allen up around the LOS in nickel and blitz him some?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT