ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the blue bloods of college soccer?

Seyton

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2001
Naperville, IL
IU and Virginia for sure. After that I'm not sure... there are lots of good programs out there. Would you count St. Louis?

IU and Virginia for sure. After that I'm not sure... there are lots of good programs out there. Would you count St. Louis?
The blue bloods of college soccer right now are Stanford, Indiana and Virginia. Then you could basically say after that the ACC conference. Nothing is remotely close to the acc. This is a big advantage for iu. There are so many insanely good programs in the Southeast but it’s hard to progress out of the south because you have to get through the acc. Getting to final fours and elite 8s is a lot easier coming from the Midwest.

Slu has the most titles but they were almost a half century ago in a very different era. They had one good run in the early 90s with sorber and Mcbride but that’s it. I’m not sure they are even a top 75 program now.

I'd add Maryland to the list of blue bloods along with IU, UVA, and Stanford. I would have included UCLA until they went into a slump a few years ago. In that next tier I would include UCSB, Akron, Notre Dame, and all those ACC schools like McMurtry said. Funny thing is no schools in Florida have ever been that strong.

Reactions: Seyton
I'd add Maryland to the list of blue bloods along with IU, UVA, and Stanford. I would have included UCLA until they went into a slump a few years ago. In that next tier I would include UCSB, Akron, Notre Dame, and all those ACC schools like McMurtry said. Funny thing is no schools in Florida have ever been that strong.

I almost added Maryland. Totally agree. When I was in college we always talked about just how dominant certain schools could be if they had soccer. Florida, Florida State, Miami, Texas. So much talent in those areas and none of them have programs. Really strange. I guess it’s bc of title ix.

Just by way of example I played against Claudio reyna’s Virginia team when I was in college. As God as my witness they weren’t as good as a preseason game we played against an naia team called the college of boca Raton. They’re called Lynn now. Anyway they were mostly foreign and fla players and better than any team we played, and that included the acc etc. they were naia champs and just fantastic. soccer is weird.

I almost added Maryland. Totally agree. When I was in college we always talked about just how dominant certain schools could be if they had soccer. Florida, Florida State, Miami, Texas. So much talent in those areas and none of them have programs. Really strange. I guess it’s bc of title ix.

Just by way of example I played against Claudio reyna’s Virginia team when I was in college. As God as my witness they weren’t as good as a preseason game we played against an naia team called the college of boca Raton. They’re called Lynn now. Anyway they were mostly foreign and fla players and better than any team we played, and that included the acc etc. they were naia champs and just fantastic. soccer is weird.
Very interesting. Who else was on that Virginia team? Meola? Bruce Arena as coach? FIU is the only team I can even think of in the sunshine state.

Very interesting. Who else was on that Virginia team? Meola? Bruce Arena as coach? FIU is the only team I can even think of in the sunshine state.
Bruce arena was coach. They won all four years I was in college. Gosh I don’t even remember who all was on that team.Yep FIU. I had a bunch of friends play there. And USF had some Stl guys along with Ucf. The two best programs were Tampa and college of boca raton though. Weird.

Mike Fisher from Batavia (IL and right next door to me) was on one of those Virginia teams.
Seyton i feel like i remember that you had played in the chicago area? I haven't posted in like 15 years and started a new handle. i used to just be mcmurtry. i couldn't remember my old password.

Mike Fisher from Batavia (IL and right next door to me) was on one of those Virginia teams.
Virginia’s 4th consecutive title was in 1994 when they defeated our Hoosiers 1-0 in the final match. I was an undergrad at the time and sure we were going to win with Todd and Maissonueve on that squad. It was one of those great IU teams that just came up a bit short.

Virginia’s 4th consecutive title was in 1994 when they defeated our Hoosiers 1-0 in the final match. I was an undergrad at the time and sure we were going to win with Todd and Maissonueve on that squad. It was one of those great IU teams that just came up a bit short.
My senior season was 92. Wow you were at IU for a fun time with sports. IU hoops was awesome then too. what year did you graduate?

My senior season was 92. Wow you were at IU for a fun time with sports. IU hoops was awesome then too. what year did you graduate?
I started in Fall 1993 and just missed the great IU hoops class of Calbert/Greg Graham. Knight started to slip during the mid 90s. Football was good freshman year (Independence Bowl) but slipped as well, with Mallory getting fired my senior year. I got my B.A in 1997. I returned in Fall 2001 to start my Masters and got to experience the 2002 Final Four and Jerry's last game/title in 2003. Good times.

I started in Fall 1993 and just missed the great IU hoops class of Calbert/Greg Graham. Knight started to slip during the mid 90s. Football was good freshman year (Independence Bowl) but slipped as well, with Mallory getting fired my senior year. I got my B.A in 1997. I returned in Fall 2001 to start my Masters and got to experience the 2002 Final Four and Jerry's last game/title in 2003. Good times.
Lots of good times. That’s awesome.

I was at IU from 91 to 95.

Basketball went to the Final Four my freshman year.

Football, with Trent Green and Eddie Lewis was really good my freshman year and very good my sophomore year.

Soccer - was awesome all four years no matter what they're ultimate finish in the tournament.

I though Massionueve was the best player I'd ever seen in person my age.

I went to Wheaton North. I'm the same year as Jay Konrad who starred at Naperville North. Steve Keller was from Naperville Central if I'm not mistaken.

Mike Dunne played with Mike Fisher at Batavia. His younger brother, Matt, was an excellent player as well. He has a son the same age as my oldest and coached them when they were in second and third grade.

My younger son (2008) plays for Galaxy and Brett Strang.

I think Steve Keller was my age and from Naperville but I don't think I played against him as (I think) he went to Waubonsie Valley. We played them my freshman and sophomore year but not my varsity seasons.

Back then the powerhouse clubs were Pegasus, which I think was born out of Sports Performance or Sports Club. Schwaben, Eagles, Green White and Maroons were super huge semi-pro clubs at the time.

Playing for the Wheaton Wings we could never get past Glen Ellyn, Naperville and Homewood-Flossmor.

Football, with Trent Green and Eddie Lewis was really good my freshman year and very good my sophomore year.

Soccer - was awesome all four years no matter what they're ultimate finish in the tournament.

I went to Wheaton North. I'm the same year as Jay Konrad who starred at Naperville North. Steve Keller was from Naperville Central if I'm not mistaken.

Mike Dunne played with Mike Fisher at Batavia. His younger brother, Matt, was an excellent player as well. He has a son the same age as my oldest and coached them when they were in second and third grade.

I think Steve Keller was my age and from Naperville but I don't think I played against him as (I think) he went to Waubonsie Valley. We played them my freshman and sophomore year but not my varsity seasons.

Back then the powerhouse clubs were Pegasus, which I think was born out of Sports Performance or Sports Club. Schwaben, Eagles, Green White and Maroons were super huge semi-pro clubs at the time.

Playing for the Wheaton Wings we could never get past Glen Ellyn, Naperville and Homewood-Flossmor.
Trent green went to my rival high school. Vianney. Better soccer at vianney than football.

Wow!! Green-White and Pegasus. Blast from the past. Back when teams had patches lol.

Mais was awesome, no doubt. From everything I’ve seen, he’s a great person too. Watch his Kevin Durant-like induction speech to the IU Hall of Fame on YouTube. It’s well worth 10 minutes of your time.

ADVERTISEMENT