ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s in and who’s out?

You make good points about the Irish catching scheduling breaks this season. Including USC and Stanford being somewhat down too. Something to note about the 5 ACC schools annually on ND’s schedule is that the ACC has scripted years ahead who they play each season. This time around, they played mostly teams with down seasons. I do wish they would go all-in with the ACC for football, but I just don’t see that happening in the near future as long as they have the NBC contract and don’t ever have to share bowl revenue with anyone else.
if nd had joined the big ten their share of network revenue would far exceed what they get from a bowl game

you left out, then georgia blew it by getting pounded by lsu
No, I actually mentioned that in one post. As I said, that's what hurt them the most--if they only had the one loss to Bama, I fully expect they'd have gotten in over Oklahoma.

But IMO neither of UGA's losses are as bad as Okla's loss to a Texas team that was beaten by Maryland, and UGA's losses certainly aren't as bad as tOSU's blowout loss to PU.

Reactions: Sope Creek
it will never be a 6 team playoff. a bye in a football playoff is a huge advantage. i know it's done in the nfl but putting student athletes in that position won't be considered, in my opinion. 8 teams is coming, i think
pardon my cynicism, but if the $$$ is big enough I have no doubt it will at least be considered. But if it's seen that the $$$ (and ratings) from 8 teams is even more, I don't doubt it will move to 8.

Reactions: 76-1
Notre Dame did not play Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee or UMass caliber opponents. Or for that matter OSU did not strategically schedule the likes of Arkansas State, Louisiana Lafayette or the Citadel!
Nope. As I noted in my post, ND has tried to play a better schedule in an attempt to gain better respect for their program, but this year some traditionally high level programs were down, like VA Tech, Florida State, Stanford and USC. I can't blame them for that . . . but they don't get any credit for it either, with those programs being weak this season.

That said, they did schedule Ball State, one of the worst D1 teams in the country this year. And their schedule included Vandy and Wake, neither of them a bad program but neither of them particularly impressive either. Sagarin tagged them with the 42nd hardest schedule - respectable enough.

O$U scheduled Oregon State (2-10) and Tulane (an up and down 7-6 bowl team), and had Rutgers (1-11) as part of their conference schedule. Not to mention they barely escaped Maryland (1 point win) which is a team that IU beat, had a hard time with a down Nebraska team, got another 1 point win at PSU, and got crushed by PU. Sagarin has their schedule as the 40th toughest - also respectable enough.

You are correct, BAMA did schedule Arkansas State (a 9-4 bowl team) and crushed the hell out of them, (a 7-6 bowl team scheduled to play O$U's opponent, Tulane) and The Citadel. They also went 6-0 against Sagarin's Top 30 competition and 2-0 against Sagarin's Top 10 . . . combined ND and O$U are 3-0 against Sagarin's Top 10 and 5-0 against Sagarin's Top 30, so I'd suggest that your criticism of BAMA's schedule is of no merit.

According to Sagarin, UGA played the 6th toughest schedule even with playing the likes of Middle Tennessee (an 8-5 bowl team scheduled to play the venerable Appalachian State), UMass (a weak opponent) and Austin Peay (another weak opponent). Sure they got beat at LSU - ND sure didn't play anyplace like Baton Rouge this year - but they also won at South Carolina, at Missouri (ranked no. 23), in Jacksonville over Florida (ranked no. 10), and at Kentucky (ranked no. 14).

I might add that in Kirby Smart's first game as a head coach he beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame, in 2017. :D

So you can play your hide and seek game all you want, the point remains the same . . . UGA is demonstrably a better football team than Notre Dame this year and is more deserving to be in the playoffs than ND. :cool:

And BAMA is better than UGA by a bit.

Nope. As I noted in my post, ND has tried to play a better schedule in an attempt to gain better respect for their program, but this year some traditionally high level programs were down, like VA Tech, Florida State, Stanford and USC. I can't blame them for that . . . but they don't get any credit for it either, with those programs being weak this season.

That said, they did schedule Ball State, one of the worst D1 teams in the country this year. And their schedule included Vandy and Wake, neither of them a bad program but neither of them particularly impressive either. Sagarin tagged them with the 42nd hardest schedule - respectable enough.

O$U scheduled Oregon State (2-10) and Tulane (an up and down 7-6 bowl team), and had Rutgers (1-11) as part of their conference schedule. Not to mention they barely escaped Maryland (1 point win) which is a team that IU beat, had a hard time with a down Nebraska team, got another 1 point win at PSU, and got crushed by PU. Sagarin has their schedule as the 40th toughest - also respectable enough.

You are correct, BAMA did schedule Arkansas State (a 9-4 bowl team) and crushed the hell out of them, (a 7-6 bowl team scheduled to play O$U's opponent, Tulane) and The Citadel. They also went 6-0 against Sagarin's Top 30 competition and 2-0 against Sagarin's Top 10 . . . combined ND and O$U are 3-0 against Sagarin's Top 10 and 5-0 against Sagarin's Top 30, so I'd suggest that your criticism of BAMA's schedule is of no merit.

According to Sagarin, UGA played the 6th toughest schedule even with playing the likes of Middle Tennessee (an 8-5 bowl team scheduled to play the venerable Appalachian State), UMass (a weak opponent) and Austin Peay (another weak opponent). Sure they got beat at LSU - ND sure didn't play anyplace like Baton Rouge this year - but they also won at South Carolina, at Missouri (ranked no. 23), in Jacksonville over Florida (ranked no. 10), and at Kentucky (ranked no. 14).

I might add that in Kirby Smart's first game as a head coach he beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame, in 2017. :D

So you can play your hide and seek game all you want, the point remains the same . . . UGA is demonstrably a better football team than Notre Dame this year and is more deserving to be in the playoffs than ND. :cool:

And BAMA is better than UGA by a bit.

It is a clear advantage to play eight conference games and schedule games against weak opponents as warmups for their most challenging opponents. SEC gets away with now, but look for that to change soon.

Reactions: indy1203
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT