ADVERTISEMENT

"White Civil Rights" Rally Approved for D.C. in August

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
My question, on so many levels, is why do we need a "White Civil Rights" rally?

I just hope people who would oppose a rally like this (ideally most of the sane population) stay home/out of DC and don't take the bait. "Tick off and incite liberals" was probably high on their checklist of things to do in planning for this. Let the few hundred hillbillies from God knows where get together for their racist circle-jerk and be done with it.

I know it wouldn't be legal, but I'd be perfectly fine with The National Park service denying their claim for a rally, based on historical context of what a group like that brings and who is a part of it.

My question, on so many levels, is why do we need a "White Civil Rights" rally?

I just hope people who would oppose a rally like this (ideally most of the sane population) stay home/out of DC and don't take the bait. "Tick off and incite liberals" was probably high on their checklist of things to do in planning for this. Let the few hundred hillbillies from God knows where get together for their racist circle-jerk and be done with it.

I know it wouldn't be legal, but I'd be perfectly fine with The National Park service denying their claim for a rally, based on historical context of what a group like that brings and who is a part of it.

I wonder if there will be any “very fine people” there. Maybe even on both sides again.

I got some MAGA toilet paper. Making Ass Great Again
I'm going to go and wear this t-shirt...
th

Well that should end up being a shit show. We can have another argument about which side's deplorables are more deplorable after they rumble on the Mall. (Sigh)

Reactions: Rusty G
Well that should end up being a shit show. We can have another argument about which side's deplorables are more deplorable after they rumble on the Mall. (Sigh)
I know this is a fool's errand, but I really hope people opposed to this sort of thing don't take the bait and counter-protest. After all, the reaction is likely the ONLY reason a white civil rights rally is being held in the first place.

Reactions: hoot1
It is already a deplorable shit show...staged entirely in the media...and there is only one side to deplore at this point.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
It is already a deplorable shit show...staged entirely in the media...and there is only one side to deplore at this point.

Disagree but not going to argue with you all over again. We did this after Charlottesville.

Disagree but not going to argue with you all over again. We did this after Charlottesville.
Both sides are to blame for the neonazi application for a permit to stage event in front of White House? You have pronounced both sides guilty before one side has done anything.

Both sides are to blame for the neonazi application for a permit to stage event in front of White House? You have pronounced both sides guilty before one side has done anything.
Also, there's the problem that Nazis and white supremacists are inherently vile. People who oppose Nazis and white supremacists are not -- even though they sometimes adopt reprehensible methods. That's why the "both sides used violence" argument is a fallacy:

Both bank robbers and the police use violence.

Therefore bank robbers and the police are morally equivalent.​

No. Not what I said at all.

Also, there's the problem that Nazis and white supremacists are inherently vile. People who oppose Nazis and white supremacists are not -- even though they sometimes adopt reprehensible methods. That's why the "both sides used violence" argument is a fallacy:

Both bank robbers and the police use violence.

Therefore bank robbers and the police are morally equivalent.​

False equivalence. Despite your, my, or anyone else's disagreement with their message, all of those racist idiots have every right to shout whatever the hell they want to shout. And those who think that they are racist idiots have every right to shout that back and let their disapproval be known. What neither side has the right to do is put their hands on the other. Period. I do not care how morally superior any of them think their position may be. If they are doing nothing but yelling stupidity, they have every right to do so.

The police are given agreed upon authority to enforce our laws. They are given force latitude that you and I do not have. That is part of the social contract we have with them. Antifa and Neo Nazis do not have that same agreement from society.

The only one spouting fallacies here is you. We do not need the Bolsheviks and the Brown Shirts brawling in the streets. We are developed enough to hear a dumb argument and reject it without punching someone in the face.

Reactions: 76-1
Hard to believe nowadays but circa 1950, liberals wanted free speech and conservatives tried to suppress it. Now it's exactly the opposite.

Last edited:

WUT?

Antifa and Neo Nazis do not have that same agreement from society.

Oh there it is. The boogie man reappears.

Detail missed: Antifa doesn't have a side.

Hard to believe nowadays but circa 1950, liberals wanted free speech and conservatives tried to suppress it. Now it exactly the opposite.

Funny you should mention that...

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/06/21/aclu-tip-toes-away-first-amendment/

The far left has been moving away from the ideas of classical liberalism over the past several years. We see it with Antifa. We see it on college campuses where “no platforming” has become the standard operating procedure for social justice groups. We see it in Silicon Valley where social media companies have begun to police speech more actively.

The far left no longer believes in the First Amendment and says so openly. They denounce “hate speech” as something that should not be allowed anywhere for exactly the same reasons the ACLU memo has outlined, i.e. it is counter to their commitment to social justice. While the ACLU is still a long way from throwing in the towel on free speech, I think this memo indicates that the far left is exerting an influence on the left in general. As the far left moves away from classic liberal values, even the ACLU is beginning to acknowledge that shift, albeit quietly in a memo they asked not be distributed to anyone.​

Detail missed: Antifa doesn't have a side.

Bull. Shit.

http://www.newsweek.com/antifa-shares-names-photos-1600-ice-employees-987454

Despite Newsweek spreading Antifa propaganda at the bottom, these are not choir boys. They are the violent arm of the far left and they deem even mainstream Republicans as fascists. I don't know why it is so ****ing hard for you guys to disavow violence. This happened last summer and a Republican Congressman was shot soon after. This rhetoric is heating up again (doxxing ICE agents and spreading memes calling for their killing) and we see this type of stuff starting to pop up:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...rence-key-arrested-threat-20180620-story.html

It is not hard. White Guys running around looking like douche canoes with Tiki Torches, you are idiots. I do not accept you getting into violent clashes with anyone. I do not accept you threatening political opponents. You are free to run your mouth and be an ass hole, but no violence or threat of violence is acceptable. You try it. Criticism of one does not mean acceptance of the other.

Last edited:
And of course the usual suspects turn a thread about how awful white supremacy is into a thread about how liberals want to suppress speech. Shameful.

I think it is shameful that so called liberals are so afraid of letting people air stupid ideas. You all used to be okay with letting an idiot be an idiot and then ripping apart their ignorant arguments with logic and reason. When did you all become such pussies?

Furthermore, the thread started was not about how awful white supremacists are. It was about the fact that they are holding another rally and if they should be allowed to have the rally (i.e. free speech) The original post specifically mentions hoping that it does not provoke a reaction.

Bull. Shit.

http://www.newsweek.com/antifa-shares-names-photos-1600-ice-employees-987454

Despite Newsweek spreading Antifa propaganda at the bottom, these are not choir boys. They are the violent arm of the far left and they deem even mainstream Republicans as fascists. I don't know why it is so ****ing hard for you guys to disavow violence. This happened last summer and a Republican Congressman was shot soon after. This rhetoric is heating up again (doxxing ICE agents and spreading memes calling for their killing) and we see this type of stuff starting to pop up:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...rence-key-arrested-threat-20180620-story.html

It is not hard. White Guys running around looking like douche canoes with Tiki Torches, you are idiots. I do not accept you getting into violent clashes with anyone. I do not accept you threatening political opponents. You are free to run your mouth and be an ass hole, but no violence or threat of violence is acceptable. You try it. Criticism of one does not mean acceptance of the other.
The thread here is about racists and Nazis scheduling a protest in front of the White House. They have a legal right to do it. But racism and Nazism is deplorable and so I deplore people planning to come out to advocate it. None of this has anything to do with whether the protests or counterprotests that haven't happened yet will be violent or not.

I think it is shameful that so called liberals are so afraid of letting people air stupid ideas. You all used to be okay with letting an idiot be an idiot and then ripping apart their ignorant arguments with logic and reason. When did you all become such pussies?

Furthermore, the thread started was not about how awful white supremacists are. It was about the fact that they are holding another rally and if they should be allowed to have the rally (i.e. free speech) The original post specifically mentions hoping that it does not provoke a reaction.
We're not afraid of letting them air stupid ideas. In fact, we like it. Whenever they do air stupid ideas, we get to criticize them, and then watch who comes to their defense. That lets us know who the racist-but-too-chickenshit-to-admit-it people are.

Reactions: Ohio Guy

Let me be clear, we should all be concerned when people take to the streets to advocate not just stupid but deeply evil ideas. We should all strongly recommend to others that they not participate in such an event and publicly advocate evil. But in America people have the right to free speech. So if people insist on advocating evil then I applaud those who would peacefully counterprotest against evil.

Reactions: MrBing
And of course the usual suspects turn a thread about how awful white supremacy is into a thread about how liberals want to suppress speech. Shameful.
Ummm, it appears you have it back-asswards. The article is about a "White Civil Rights Rally" and the stated purpose is "...protesting civil rights abuse...." However you have decided that the agenda of the group is actually white supremacy rather than civil rights and freedom of speech. Shameful.

Last edited:
Ummm, it appears you have it back-asswards. The article is about a "White Civil Rights Rally" and the stated purpose is "...protesting civil rights abuse...." However you have decided that the agenda of the group is actually white supremacy rather than rather than civil rights and freedom of speech. Shameful.
LOL.

Ummm, it appears you have it back-asswards. The article is about a "White Civil Rights Rally" and the stated purpose is "...protesting civil rights abuse...." However you have decided that the agenda of the group is actually white supremacy rather than rather than civil rights and freedom of speech. Shameful.
Quotes from the article:
The park service has given initial approval to an application from Jason Kessler to hold a "white civil rights rally" on Aug. 11 and 12, as first reported by WUSA9. Kessler, along with white supremacist Richard Spencer and others, organized the 2017 rally, during which a woman was killed.
In an application dated May 8, Kessler estimated that as many as 400 people would attend. He listed the purpose of the event as: "Protesting civil rights abuse in Charlottesville Va / white civil rights rally."​

It's becoming clear there are three types of white people:

1) Those that get are offended by the loud, obnoxious leftists to the point that they feel the need to demonstrate in poor taste (e.g. Charlottesville)

2) Those, like many on this board, that get offended by whackos deciding to protest because it makes them feel ashamed and guilty to be white

3) Those that don't give a flying fvck about any of it and think people that protest are pathetic, regardless of their political affiliation or views. They also tend to think people that get so bent out of shape about things said by CNN or Breitbart are just as pathetic. If only there wasn't such a shrinking amount of this group.

Quotes from the article:
The park service has given initial approval to an application from Jason Kessler to hold a "white civil rights rally" on Aug. 11 and 12, as first reported by WUSA9. Kessler, along with white supremacist Richard Spencer and others, organized the 2017 rally, during which a woman was killed.
In an application dated May 8, Kessler estimated that as many as 400 people would attend. He listed the purpose of the event as: "Protesting civil rights abuse in Charlottesville Va / white civil rights rally."​
That's exactly what I said. The rally is about white civil rights, not white supremacy.

Reactions: Lucy01
Krugman writes an excellent article about the upsurge of hate on the right and how it bears no relationship to anything really happening.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/opinion/blood-libel-trump-immigrants.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

I'm surely not going to give Krugman clicks, but I can only assume that he acknowledges that this goes both ways. I mean, unless he demonstrates that the data clearly states it is worse for a minority or female today than it was three years ago or ten years ago.

/dws because we all know he isn't objective

Reactions: Sassy61
People have ALWAYS spoken out against hate-based protests. Take the public Klan rallies of you, your Dad, and grandpa, for example.
I disagree with almost all of his political positions but he is polite in his posts and makes a good effort to support his arguments. It's way out of line to say he and his father and grandfather participate in Klan rallies.

Reactions: Cajun54
I'm surely not going to give Krugman clicks, but I can only assume that he acknowledges that this goes both ways. I mean, unless he demonstrates that the data clearly states it is worse for a minority or female today than it was three years ago or ten years ago.

/dws because we all know he isn't objective
Ah, yes. The old "I will refuse to read an article yet still comment on it" gambit. Definitely makes you look like you are adding something valuable. Well done.

That's exactly what I said. The rally is about white civil rights, not white supremacy.

Doesn't, by it's nature, a "Civil Rights rally" come with the presupposition that someone's "civil Rights" are under attack? I think most of us commenting within this thread that are opposed to this "demonstration" are Caucasian/White, so can you point out to us exactly why this rally is necessary and who is staging an assault on "white civil rights" here in the US? Enlighten us, oh Grand Poobah...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT