ADVERTISEMENT

While we wait for news on the new OC

I would love to see Clemson get it but I don’t think they have the horses this year. I’ll go with ‘bama.

Reactions: CC Mac
Bama

Saw a tweet today involving Saban
He told a story about his "first coaching lesson"
He was a sophmore QB in HS playing to get to the West Virginia state finals.
He called his own plays
End of the game, he is down 18-12
In the red zone
Time out
His coach asks him what he thinks
He said "I think you should call this play" - didn't want the responsibilty
Coach said "Well, you got the fastest tailback in the state and an all-state TE. I don't care what play you call - make sure one of those guys gets the ball."

So Saban called what he called a "post-corner" route and hit the TE for the tie TD, then got he XP for the win.

He said "ever since, when its on the line, I don't think 'play', I think "player.' "

Smart fella.

"Feed the studs."
Bobby Petrino.
Another smart fella.

Bama

Saw a tweet today involving Saban
He told a story about his "first coaching lesson"
He was a sophmore QB in HS playing to get to the West Virginia state finals.
He called his own plays
End of the game, he is down 18-12
In the red zone
Time out
His coach asks him what he thinks
He said "I think you should call this play" - didn't want the responsibilty
Coach said "Well, you got the fastest tailback in the state and an all-state TE. I don't care what play you call - make sure one of those guys gets the ball."

So Saban called what he called a "post-corner" route and hit the TE for the tie TD, then got he XP for the win.

He said "ever since, when its on the line, I don't think 'play', I think "player.' "

Smart fella.

"Feed the studs."
Bobby Petrino.
Another smart fella.
Cool story,intense guy for sure.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Cool story,intense guy for sure.

I wonder what Saban would call when he DOESN’T have the best players on the field?

Maybe like his stint with the Dolphins?
The thing that makes real coaches is what they do when they don’t have all the tools in the toolbox.

His recruiting, however, is where he sets himself up for autopilot.

I wonder what Saban would call when he DOESN’T have the best players on the field?

The thing that makes real coaches is what they do when they don’t have all the tools in the toolbox.

I forgot all about him coaching the Dolphins.

Too many folks who post here seem to think Allen (and presumbaly all coaches) should win NOW without regard to his roster.

I disagee - and I agree with you here. The guy with the players always looks better than the guy without.

As always, I want to see a coach's Year 3 team before I start to decide what his ceiling can be and whether he is on the right track.

As of today, my opinion is Allen is showing promise. His recruiting (make that "the recruiting of he and his staff") has been well above IU's historical performance. He does not waste clock like Wilson did. While he does not call plays, he seems to want a more aggressive offense - and I'm OK with that (until it produces turnovers, and then I'll turn on that like a caged animal!) Plusd, he seems to have realized that his beloved defense suffered from his inability to give it full attention, and has (again) addressed the staffing (even when it meant replacing himself!)

He still needs more line depth on both sides of the ball before he beats The Usual Suspects, but I already think we are competitive with the middle of the pack in both East and West. Gotta learn to win those close ones, and gotta come to play EVERY PLAY and EVERY GAME. (Every senior should pledge that we shall have no more flat games ala Minnesota.)

Overall, there is WAY more good to credit than bad to criticize with his tenure.

Can't wait for next year.

QB - loaded
RB - loaded
OL - getting better
WR - solid and getting better

DL - my kingdom for a pass rush
LB - somebody gotta step up
Husky - loaded
Back 4 - loaded and no longer virgins.

FG Kicker - we redshirted the best kicker in the country!
Punt - he can put it anywhere he's told.

KO Return - take it at the 25.
Punt Return - no turnovers = I'm OK with it.

that's what separates the great from the good. the great ones can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n. there's a lot of good coaches around, not many great ones. never has been.

Last edited:
Too many folks who post here seem to think Allen (and presumbaly all coaches) should win NOW without regard to his roster.

I disagee - and I agree with you here. The guy with the players always looks better than the guy without.

As always, I want to see a coach's Year 3 team before I start to decide what his ceiling can be and whether he is on the right track.

As of today, my opinion is Allen is showing promise. His recruiting (make that "the recruiting of he and his staff") has been well above IU's historical performance. He does not waste clock like Wilson did. While he does not call plays, he seems to want a more aggressive offense - and I'm OK with that (until it produces turnovers, and then I'll turn on that like a caged animal!) Plusd, he seems to have realized that his beloved defense suffered from his inability to give it full attention, and has (again) addressed the staffing (even when it meant replacing himself!)

He still needs more line depth on both sides of the ball before he beats The Usual Suspects, but I already think we are competitive with the middle of the pack in both East and West. Gotta learn to win those close ones, and gotta come to play EVERY PLAY and EVERY GAME. (Every senior should pledge that we shall have no more flat games ala Minnesota.)

Overall, there is WAY more good to credit than bad to criticize with his tenure.

QB - loaded
RB - loaded
OL - getting better

Husky - loaded

I was with you all the way until you got to the "overall" paragraph, because the bottom line is still the bottom line, and the results of his first two years have not been satisfactory. Those results are in the books and can't be changed. Everything else right now is speculation.

Things are in flux. This OC hire is huge. There's a lot to be optimistic about, esp. the recruiting/talent level. We need a couple more LM in this class. Then, next year will be 'can't miss TV' because there will a sense of urgency and the situation could go either way.

College and pros are two different games. How would Bobby Knight have done in the NBA?

Saban is the Belichick of college football. Remember, he also won 1 at LSU. How hard is it to win NCs at 2 different schools? Recruiting is a big part of it, but not all of it. It's the whole package.

College and pros are two different games. How would Bobby Knight have done in the NBA?

Saban is the Belichick of college football. Remember, he also won 1 at LSU. How hard is it to win NCs at 2 different schools? Recruiting is a big part of it, but not all of it. It's the whole package.
recruiting is a HUGE part of it. as john wooden said, nobody wins without talent. some guys can't win with it. but nobody wins without it.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

QB - loaded
RB - loaded
OL - getting better

Husky - loaded

only one husky on the field. we have a few guys big and athletic that can add a few pounds and move up to lb

please, please, no overtime. the most stupid rule in sports since penalty kicks in soccer. i loseually turn off games that go to ot

So are you saying we should have a shared national title in case of a tie in regulation?

I understand and can somewhat agree with the argument against OT in regular season play, but having ties in postseason play defeats the purpose of postseason play.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
So are you saying we should have a shared national title in case of a tie in regulation?

I understand and can somewhat agree with the argument against OT in regular season play, but having ties in postseason play defeats the purpose of postseason play.
of course not. play it out like men, regular rules

Yes, and NCAA handles OT much better than NFL where the coin toss is fifty percent of the final outcome.

Yes, and NCAA handles OT much better than NFL where the coin toss is fifty percent of the final outcome.

Yeah, the rules are a bit convoluted, but it does make things about as fair as a possible under the circumstances. Only thing I might change is moving the starting position back some which would put some more emphasis on defensive play.

What you saw last night was the difference between a "dual threat" qb and one who can get it there on time and on target and can read defenses. Sure you want a guy that can get out of trouble and take advantage every once in a while. Tua had no clue what Clemson was doing on D.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Yeah, the rules are a bit convoluted, but it does make things about as fair as a possible under the circumstances. Only thing I might change is moving the starting position back some which would put some more emphasis on defensive play.
i think they should have a field goal kicking contest like they do in soccer. and like soccer, you must have 5 different players kick them. and you can have a goalie next to the posts who is allowed to block anything he can reach

What you saw last night was the difference between a "dual threat" qb and one who can get it there on time and on target and can read defenses. Sure you want a guy that can get out of trouble and take advantage every once in a while. Tua had no clue what Clemson was doing on D.
clemson did a great job of confusing him by constantly changing alignments. would a quick snap help to combat that? any of our resident coaches want to weigh in? i'll take my answer off the phone

With my second favorite team being UGA, it especially hurt to see how good Lawrence is as a freshman.At one time, he was ready to commit to UGA, but he decided to visit Clemson for one last look. Whatever Dabo is putting in the water worked with this young man. He is special.

With my second favorite team being UGA, it especially hurt to see how good Lawrence is as a freshman.At one time, he was ready to commit to UGA, but he decided to visit Clemson for one last look. Whatever Dabo is putting in the water worked with this young man. He is special.
He's the reason I picked Clemson to beat Alabama last night.

We're over near Kennesaw Mountain. What part of the ATL are you in?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT