ADVERTISEMENT

Which way is recruiting going?

Give me some concrete examples as to how there is a sense of urgency with this recruiting class, because I'm not seeing or hearing it. Also, give me some inside information that assures me that a thorough evaluation of the complete staff is taking place. Thanks in advance.

Duh...I refuse to believe you are as ignorant as this post. Get over your anger...give it up...cant you hear yourself? Bet you can but you just cant stop. Quit trying to convince people a crazy idea is not crazy...I bet your a good guy...but this has gone over the edge. Look in a mirror and repeat your initial post. Yeah...looks that bad to the rest of us too.

So then why were you a fan of Wilson’s? His recruiting trended downward and ended up around 70th for his last class. Bill Connelly recently released figures that showed that IU under Wilson blew more wins than every other team in the country (literally) during his tenure:

And again, no Indiana fans should be complaining about this class right now. It’s completely stupid to do so. You’re completely making up that 50th thing, as we should finish most likely in the 30s or 40s based on past years and how past classes were put together. And there is nothing wrong with finishing in that range. If you would actually go back and look at who finishes in that range every year, you would see a lot of successful programs. But you won’t, because you’re either lazy or willfully ignorant. This will be either our best or second best class on paper in 20 years. I don’t know why you continue to ignore that.

17 of our 19 commits are three stars. It’s about to be 18 out of 20. And most importantly, there are a ton of really good offer lists in there. For about the 50th time, this is exactly how Iowa and Wisconsin became Iowa and Wisconsin. Why would you not want that? People keep drooling over Iowa’s class and yet it’s going to finish in the same range as us, perhaps behind us. It’s like you’re just looking for things to complain about even if you have to make it up.

There are more things wrong with this post than I can count. But lets sum it up...we just had the best 5 years under any coach when it comes to talent and results, just not in the win/loss column...but there are a hell of a lot more way to measure improvement in a league where a lot of improvement for IU wont show up there either.

Damn you simply cant have followed IU FB that long...I don't care what you say. If you cant tell the difference in Wilson's term from the 20 years of IU FB before it...you know absolutely nothing about FB...period. God lord what a petty childish bunch.

Duh...I refuse to believe you are as ignorant as this post. Get over your anger...give it up...cant you hear yourself? Bet you can but you just cant stop. Quit trying to convince people a crazy idea is not crazy...I bet your a good guy...but this has gone over the edge. Look in a mirror and repeat your initial post. Yeah...looks that bad to the rest of us too.

I thought it was a reasonable post. And I see you have nothing concrete in reply.

I've watched this program a long time, and have specific concerns about how the season played out, and the reaction of CTA to how the season played out.

I remember Mallory talking about 'beating the bushes' for recruits. It is my sense, from everything that I'm reading, that the Michigans and Nebraskas of the world are out-working us on recruiting. And that there is a sense of complacency within the IU football program. Again, I'd welcome concrete evidence to the contrary.

Give me some concrete examples as to how there is a sense of urgency with this recruiting class, because I'm not seeing or hearing it. Also, give me some inside information that assures me that a thorough evaluation of the complete staff is taking place. Thanks in advance.

No offense but I seriously don't think Coach Allen & staff have you on their top 10 things to do or call list.

If you follow Twitter, the coaches are on the road and have been for awhile, going to every verbal commit's home for an in-home visit, as well as seeing others as well. I'm not on the premium board but I know that other recruits have been to Bball games (both Duke and Iowa games), that coaches are still on road now and the initial signing day is a few weeks away in December.

Like others, I get being frustrated at this season's results, on top of the Wilson years "so close" and not going to a bowl this year stinks. But to think Allen is not humping it out there, and asking the same of his staff, is just bizarre and I really don't think you are basing that on anything other than "Not reading or hearing anything about it in the media or on this free fan board."

Does NOT mean nothing is happening. Best bet, wait until after the final Feb signing date, see how many recruits IU gets, see how many pre-verbals stay on versus leave, see if there are any grad transfers, and see if there are any surprise recruit gets people weren't expecting? (Ex: the Michigan QB looking at us and MSU, you have to put MSU ahead of us right now, but maybe we win that one?)

Get all of the FACTS and then make an educated assessment. "Not hearing anything so you think there's no urgency for the coaching staff" may truly be one of the more totally speculative things I've seen on the board and just sharing it really makes you look unsophisticated in the analysis, so perhaps chill until February and then come back post signing with thoughtful insights you have based on a complete signing class.

I thought it was a reasonable post. And I see you have nothing concrete in reply.

I've watched this program a long time, and have specific concerns about how the season played out, and the reaction of CTA to how the season played out.

I remember Mallory talking about 'beating the bushes' for recruits. It is my sense, from everything that I'm reading, that the Michigans and Nebraskas of the world are out-working us on recruiting. And that there is a sense of complacency within the IU football program. Again, I'd welcome concrete evidence to the contrary.

Look...I don't want to make this a battle or a rude argument. Show me proof that they are NOT trying everything.. The burden of proof is on you dude. You opened the argument (as in debate). You said they were not giving their best. Prove it...I can assume they are doing their best...its the job description ergo they must be or they would not be there...but you said the opposite....so prove it.

You cant of course, nor can I "prove" anything either...and that is the point isn't it? You're just guessing something bad is going on. I assume it isn't because coaches always...always go for the players that will keep or advance their job. What are you basing your assumption on? What are the critical criteria for such assumption?

No flame here fella...just trying to rub snow on the old fogged goggles...vbg.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
I wonder what "beating the bushes" for recruits even means now. Today recruits can forward videos of their playing time on their cell phones and promote themselves on their own websites.

Okay...you're angry...we get that. I am too. Didn't like how any of the coaching change was handled. Ditto...but...

Geeeze Louise dude...you know what you said borders on neurotic. If IU became known as a school stupid enough to hire a coach for a bunch of years...fire him after one season where no scandal was involved...pay him a bunch of money for no reason just to leave...then turn around and try to hire a great coach...we would be the laughing stock of the Football World...all levels.

Two things...logistically and financially, we cant do that. Not sure who you think IU is??? Did you attend IU? Endless money we aint got. We are committed to Allen for the next few years, good or bad, like it or not. Crying about it constantly just makes you look petty...or silly..or both.

2nd...IF IU fired Allen now, try to hire a good coach from...anywhere. They wont give you the time of day. You idea is a program killer...out and out murder. Think getting a coach will be tough? Try getting a decent recruit when they know the staff that recruited them lives on a one year notice.

Come on...try again...you can do it. You don't even believe what your saying. I'm an old fart and spent decades in business. I understand you perfectly well. Your pissy...your mad..your feeling got hurt. Well, man up. I'm sick of reading this crap...go kick your dog. You will feel sooo much better...and spare us.
First, he should have never been hired. Ever. For any reason.

Second, and most importantly, is that fact that Allen shouldn't have a buyout. As in $0. $1 would be egregious. He was handed the keys to his first car with absolutely zero leverage. Glass went to him with a contract and he signed it. Buyouts are for coaches with leverage. Glass should've said we'll give you a try but we're not giving you a buyout. Take it or we're doing a search. Anyone who understands the very basics of negotiation will understand this. It wouldn't cost IU a dime to move on if this was done properly.

I see where Michigan is recruiting as least 3 players from Mississippi....Ole Miss players who `will be seniors next year can transfer without having to sit out a year. Others must sit out a year if they transfer.

I don't sense that our coaching staff has a feeling of urgency when it comes to recruiting that exists elsewhere.....we're seem to be satisfied with what we've got. Compare that to Frost at Nebraska, who has already offered several players out of New Jersey. And compare to what Brohm did last year in the transfer "market". I don't think any real evaluation of the staff is going on. And I cringe when I hear Allen talking about falling "1 game short" when in reality we fell 3 games short of the stated objective of a breakthrough year.

I think I'm hearing and seeing complacency, rather than a group of people that are ticked off. I think we saw the same thing in the Purdue game. And it doesn't give me a lot of hope for any real breakthrough next year and the years following.

BTW, it appears our potential JC transfer, Wilson, cancelled his visit to UK, and will probably be committing to Nebraska. He's visiting there this WE.
Not sure your “feeling” is correct at all, hopefully you understand that we don’t have a lot of spots remaining open in our class ,as long as we hang on to what we have. The staff has been furiously making the rounds to committed players, which is every bit as important as trying to gain new commits. Rest assured many of our commits are trying to be flipped as we speak.
All that said , we are trying to flip a DT OleMiss commit, a Rutgers RB commit , they went to see OT Carvin who is a long shot (offers all over the place)but are still trying and they are working a QB from Michigan that looks to be between us and MSU (great athlete and kid). On top of all that they have handed out a few 2019 offers in the last few days, along with having David Bell (2019 WR), and others in for the Duke Bball game. That is just some of what they have been doing, to say they don’t have a sense of urgency is unfair and ill-informed. Don’t know how the class will end up, but whatever happens, it isn’t a lack of effort.

First, he should have never been hired. Ever. For any reason.

Second, and most importantly, is that fact that Allen shouldn't have a buyout. As in $0. $1 would be egregious. He was handed the keys to his first car with absolutely zero leverage. Glass went to him with a contract and he signed it. Buyouts are for coaches with leverage. Glass should've said we'll give you a try but we're not giving you a buyout. Take it or we're doing a search. Anyone who understands the very basics of negotiation will understand this. It wouldn't cost IU a dime to move on if this was done properly.
Did you even read what he said ?? He doesn’t agree with the hiring process either, but it is DONE , whether one agrees with it or not.
The point is, firing now, after one year, is insanely stupid. You would never get coaches or players to come here if you hire a guy, then fire him 1 year later , what you suggest is just dumb.

Reactions: IUCol
Here is an article on the current OSU recruiting class. It is obvious once again that we will not have a realistic chance again to compete with the likes of OSU on the football field. When schools like OSU always get the best players and schools like IU get what is left, the playing field is really not fair. And short of having a college draft of high school players, no, I have no idea what the fix is. http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index....8_football_commi.html#0#incart_special-report
I think that’s not untrue. Iowa, Wisconsin ect. Have competed with OSU, and don’t even attempt to get the guys OSU gets that make up the bedrock of their program. That’s because OSU doesn’t get the best players. They get the highest rated players from a fairly subjective ranking system where mistakes as to a players value are regularly made. OSU would be more than happy to trade in some of their 4 stars for guys we had in the past who were 2-3 stars

Reactions: ESalum86
There are more things wrong with this post than I can count. But lets sum it up...we just had the best 5 years under any coach when it comes to talent and results, just not in the win/loss column...but there are a hell of a lot more way to measure improvement in a league where a lot of improvement for IU wont show up there either.

Damn you simply cant have followed IU FB that long...I don't care what you say. If you cant tell the difference in Wilson's term from the 20 years of IU FB before it...you know absolutely nothing about FB...period. God lord what a petty childish bunch.
I don’t know if there was more talent. Guys just worked harder because Wilson brought in guys who weren’t complacent. But that doesn’t mean they were more talented because of some rivals rankings. I’m convinced that the rankings are almost worthless. So I really don’t know if he brought in more talent, but the attitude that he brought, and the passion that he personally had helped. But a lot of that is offset by the way he ran the program, and my ultimate conclusion is that the program was better off with lynch than Wilson, but the team still had to win in spite of Wilson due to his poor managerial skills. He also had poor in game management skills. And what went on with the defense really brings a lot into question. He’s an offensive genius, and I personally like/respect him, but I see nothing that says CTA can’t be more successful than Wilson was. So although I like Wilson, and didn’t agree with the way he was fired, his track record doesn’t show that CTA can’t be just as if not more effective. And let’s not forget that in recruiting Wilson had a ton of busts and suspect offers, so I really don’t think that he brought in significantly better talent.

Look...I don't want to make this a battle or a rude argument. Show me proof that they are NOT trying everything.. The burden of proof is on you dude. You opened the argument (as in debate). You said they were not giving their best. Prove it...I can assume they are doing their best...its the job description ergo they must be or they would not be there...but you said the opposite....so prove it.

You cant of course, nor can I "prove" anything either...and that is the point isn't it? You're just guessing something bad is going on. I assume it isn't because coaches always...always go for the players that will keep or advance their job. What are you basing your assumption on? What are the critical criteria for such assumption?

I’ve said this before so please understand... a lot of the issues here is IU related. Fans have been promised/lied to for years. I don’t think the issue is with the staff.. it’s the University and approach to the football program over the last 30 years. It isn’t the 20 year old kid that is now 50 years old fault .... the school has begged, sucked, and played on emotion, for over 30 years that has promised at a minimum winning seasons....

Gotta win. The school owes it. I personally think CTA is a great guy... money should be no object to make sure he is successful..... give us the OC and assistants the program needs and wants.

Reactions: IUCol and td75

Yeah, when Wilson was the coach not even everyone on the defense who played in games had a playbook? So that’s like the ultimate level of complacency, and there’s no way Wilson is that bad. Like I said, in 13’ For example, a safety was put into the game who I know for a fact didn’t have a book, and didn’t watch any film on Indiana state, and his first play made an error and gave up a TD because he had no clue what he was doing. You can pull many of these examples throughout Wilson’s tenure, and I have a hard time believing that Allen is that complacent. I am on the outside looking in now, but based on the defensive improvement, with the SAME GUYS we had before who gave up 50 a game, it’s clear that Allen can’t be that complacent.

Again, I’m actually biased TOWARDS Wilson because I thought he was let go in a way that I did not agree with. And I think that he brought an attitude that completely changed the perception of Indiana football. He did that. But the silly things he did, particularly the neglect of the defense offsets a lot of the positive things he did. Here’s a guy who after the Penn State game in 13’, when we beat them for the first time said something like, “I can’t coach that hard every week...” he said that in practice and at the press conference. It was bizarre. So even if you have a bias towards Wilson, which I do, you also have to have some objectivity, and there are many signs that Allen has every indication that he can be as successful, if not more than Wilson.

In the end, everyone on the board is sick of not going to bowls and is disappointed in missing one, so I understand and agree with the frustration. But rationally speaking, I haven’t seen anything that says Allen is “worse” than Wilson, because I saw Wilson manage a program in some ways recklessly.

I’ve said this before so please understand... a lot of the issues here is IU related. Fans have been promised/lied to for years. I don’t think the issue is with the staff.. it’s the University and approach to the football program over the last 30 years. It isn’t the 20 year old kid that is now 50 years old fault .... the school has begged, sucked, and played on emotion, for over 30 years that has promised at a minimum winning seasons....

Gotta win. The school owes it. I personally think CTA is a great guy... money should be no object to make sure he is successful..... give us the OC and assistants the program needs and wants.

When did anyone at IU ever promise a winning season? Based on statistics I would have taken that bet every year.

When did anyone at IU ever promise a winning season? Based on statistics I would have taken that bet every year.
“Breakthrough”. That implied a rosey picture, and each year a coach generally gives a rosey picture. The losses haven’t matched the rosey picture that you get each pre season from coaches, and the commitment to a good program doesn’t match the financial contribution that the school asks of donors. That’s why many are frustrated. Their hopes are up, the money is there, and still not a producing a team that wins consistently. Many factors do go into that though. But I think Allen is unfairly judged because of the history of IU football. So because he’s cheap and a first time head coach, many are prejudging this as more of the same. But Allen does appear to be different than past coaches, and there are tangible and physical reasons that we see as to why he can be solid coach at IU.

“Breakthrough”. That implied a rosey picture, and each year a coach generally gives a rosey picture. The losses haven’t matched the rosey picture that you get each pre season from coaches, and the commitment to a good program doesn’t match the financial contribution that the school asks of donors. That’s why many are frustrated. Their hopes are up, the money is there, and still not a producing a team that wins consistently. Many factors do go into that though. But I think Allen is unfairly judged because of the history of IU football. So because he’s cheap and a first time head coach, many are prejudging this as more of the same. But Allen does appear to be different than past coaches, and there are tangible and physical reasons that we see as to why he can be solid coach at IU.

This is a solid post. I 100% agree Allen is guilty of overselling his results before they happened. I think, being a new HC in the big leagues he bought into some of his own press. Not surprising nor does it make him a bad guy or coach...just naïve. Don't think he will make that mistake again. But IU as a whole has had a BOT that have not had IU FB fans best interests at heart. That is the source of the problem for decades. I think that is changing now. But we are still living with the damage done. I was a business owner in Btown for years. Complacency when it came to IU FB was rampant...we have a long way to go but I think we may be on the way.

The Allen hire was a big disappointment to me. As much because we finally had a real defense coach and we go and make him HC. He thought he could do both and only pay attention to the D...DeBorg left much...much to be desired. Allen will have to get involved or lose his job unless DeBorg suddenly gets creative. Fan at UT say it wont happen. We will see.

But the die is cast. People need to just accept the facts and move on.

I would like this sta
i would like this statement but it scares me too much... again not judging Allen... I’m saying the school needs to pony up every conceivable dollar what ever, to make it happen. I’m talking $200,000 head coaches and crap for assistants .... not even having the full allotment of assistants.... that’s what they have done.

It’s time

Win

I know the LEO concept as caused more than a few fans to roll their eyes. Respectfully, I think they just don't get it. Football is 12 months a year for these guys. Besides practice and games they see each other every day in class as well as socially. Like it or not at many schools it's a big closed fraternity.

To the extent that players help and support each other's focus in all aspects of college life, it will only make the Hoosiers a better program. This type of progress is measured in months and years - not days and weeks.

If people think IU lost to Purdue because the LEO concept had no tangible results, then I imagine they are constantly being disappointed. CTA is building a program. He can't tell recruits to look at the sellout crowds. In fact there's not a lot that he can tell them. But the enthusiasm and the passion and the commitment that the players have is contagious. It is drawn directly off of CTA's passion, commitment and enthusiasm and will become more infectious. Players saw it when the was the DC last year. They probably saw more of it this year. And they will probably see more next year too. None of this is lost on recruits. And eventually it will translate into more higher-end three and four-star recruits - and I am talking about the recruits that come without baggage.

I know the LEO concept as caused more than a few fans to roll their eyes. Respectfully, I think they just don't get it. Football is 12 months a year for these guys. Besides practice and games they see each other every day in class as well as socially. Like it or not at many schools it's a big closed fraternity.

To the extent that players help and support each other's focus in all aspects of college life, it will only make the Hoosiers a better program. This type of progress is measured in months and years - not days and weeks.

If people think IU lost to Purdue because the LEO concept had no tangible results, then I imagine they are constantly being disappointed. CTA is building a program. He can't tell recruits to look at the sellout crowds. In fact there's not a lot that he can tell them. But the enthusiasm and the passion and the commitment that the players have is contagious. It is drawn directly off of CTA's passion, commitment and enthusiasm and will become more infectious. Players saw it when the was the DC last year. They probably saw more of it this year. And they will probably see more next year too. None of this is lost on recruits. And eventually it will translate into more higher-end three and four-star recruits - and I am talking about the recruits that come without baggage.

Respectfully...I do believe that bonding is a critical part of building a program. A strongly bonded team is more attractive to recruits than one that is not. But only winning brings better recruits. 40+ years of being an IU FB fan has taught that if nothing else. Enthusiastic coaches we've had...lots of them. Allen is special to us first season as HC because of what we saw him do one season with the defense. Let's not oversell that just yet.

Imo...for Allen to get recruiting to where it needs to be...and hold it, and we're not far off, then he needs to win with what he has. No white knights are waiting around the corner. No excuse will save his job. Deborg must do better, all the coaches must...including Allen, or its revolving door time again. And I'm getting too old for that...vbg.

Reactions: td75
Tired of excuses, tired of the off season being the best part of the year, tired of the hype, just plain tired.

One word fixes it:

Win

Don’t need a mouthpiece on the admin payroll working spin on the board. It all comes down to wins.

I get that, I really do. We had 4 games we could have won, maybe at least 3 we should have won. We had a first year head coach and a team with talent scattered throughout but also some big holes and some key injuries. You can call those excuses or facts but it really doesn't matter. There are some things that were shown this year that I didn't like. First the conservative strategy on offense that I think cost us a couple of chances to win games. I hope that it was more of a personell problem than a long term strategy. You can't play not to lose against todays teams. I also don't think it is a good idea for Allen to DC and HC at the same time. He needs to hire someone that can run his stuff and work with him. There are some positives from this season and recruiting is probably going to end up much better than the last 3 seasons. Someone pointing to these things doesn't make them a shill. Positives don't mean beans if you don't do something with them however. Next season we need to see some real gains and anything like this season or worse should bring some real changes if we are ever going to move forward.

Reactions: td75
My concern going forward is Debord's offense, I just did not like it. I guess five or six years of Kevin Wilson ball has spoiled me offensively speaking...that said, I'm looking forward to seeing what next year's offense will look like.

People here tend to discount the losses of LB on defense and that's a mistake. We will be so frigging green at LB that it's scary. Our run defense wore down as the year went on, that's why I said we were shot heading up to Purdue.

I see next year's team as a 7 win team at best. Until Indiana wins games they should win, they'll have a hard time being anything other than a 5-7 win program.

I don't understand this mirage that Kevin Wilson's offense was so much better than Debords offense. We basically scored the same amount of points, Wilson's offense his last year gained about 30 more yards a game but our red zone offense was much improved. With a redshirt freshman at QB, freshman running back and a much worse offensive line, our offense was pretty good last year.

Allen went 5-7 with a team that had the players to win seven or eight games this season. Now recruiting is shaping up to rank around 50. As a fan, I’m having a hard time getting excited about the guy. To his credit, we play games the right way.
"we had players to win 7 or 8 games".....yeah and they were all injured. Unfortunately we didn't have those kinds of players on the offensive or defensive line. Our D was a top 15 defense in quarters 1-3, but in the forth quarter we were ranked 74th. Gotta get better on D too and the OL. Bottomline is we didn't have the players most of the year, they got hurt, so we finished with 5 wins. Best we could do I think because there wasn't the depth needed with all the injuries and the bad OL.

I don't understand this mirage that Kevin Wilson's offense was so much better than Debords offense. We basically scored the same amount of points, Wilson's offense his last year gained about 30 more yards a game but our red zone offense was much improved. With a redshirt freshman at QB, freshman running back and a much worse offensive line, our offense was pretty good last year.

I certainly won't say Deboard was magical as OC, but 100% have to agree, the Wilson offense fantasy has to be popped just a bit. There were some good years and he elevated things. But last year specifically, wasn't so great with better players on Oline & RB.

That said, I believe we are getting more good players coming in as FR, there are a lot of RS who will be year older/stronger, and still returning players who will be better too. Depth should be better, more experience and believe Allen will be better every year too.

"we had players to win 7 or 8 games".....yeah and they were all injured. Unfortunately we didn't have those kinds of players on the offensive or defensive line. Our D was a top 15 defense in quarters 1-3, but in the forth quarter we were ranked 74th. Gotta get better on D too and the OL. Bottomline is we didn't have the players most of the year, they got hurt, so we finished with 5 wins. Best we could do I think because there wasn't the depth needed with all the injuries and the bad OL.

Great post! I mean we could make a list of reasons why IU finished as they did, but it should be obvious to anyone. Whooops...did I say that? Anyway there are enough excuses to go around for everyone. Some Allen controlled, but most he didn't.

If we really want to understand the psychology of those calling for Allen's head, there is a simple metric. Just go back to Spring ball time and the read their predictions. Dooo...that's right...most of them predicted a big winning season...you know, a "breakout", 8-10 wins or the season would be a failure.

Now, it was crazy then, and its crazy now. But facts don't matter here...it's about being made to look the fool and having their feeling hurt. Damn the reality of the situation...they EXPECTED to win. Now they judge things by their "feelings" and gut reactions...when what they want to do is drop down on the ground flail their arms and legs and pound sand in a glorious tantrum.

Instead, we find ourselves arguing with those who cannot be argued with as truth is not their goal. Its retribution for what Allen "did" to them. All so silly and childish. If it was an actual debate about something debatable, we could debate it...but you cant. It just breaks down into a pissing contest. God I'm too old for this same pap that was going on here 20 years ago.

Where's my whip? I need a good flogging. It would be more fun that this.

Sorry...I digest...you were trying to say something? vbg

Reactions: crossfire74
Rivals recruiting article...as teams like Alabama start to move up where they normally are, IU moved up as well. We are now 35th.

https://n.rivals.com/news/ohio-state-climbs-to-top-spot-in-2018-team-recruiting-rankings

“The Big Ten is surging as well. Michigan State, Iowa and Indiana are three notable risers in the team rankings. The Spartans landed their highest-ranked commitment this past Saturday with a commitment from Rivals250 defensive back Kalon Gervin. Iowa’s two highest-ranked commitments, four-stars John Waggoner and Julius Brents, also came during the season. Indiana loaded up on three-star prospects that have a lot of potential and fit its schemes.”

DE Randy Charlton is supposed to be committing on the 10th as well.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/randy-charlton-57239

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
Good point. It's irrefutable that Wilson is a very good offensive coach, but some seem to conveniently ignore Wilson's last season as HC, 2016, when his offense was not close to very good. Meanwhile, down the road in Knoxville, DeBord's Tennessee offense in 2016 set school records for points scored and touchdowns.

DeBord's detractors argue that all the credit should go to Josh Dobbs. Dobbs was unquestionably a talented collegiate player, but every coach benefits from talent and individual talent doesn't usually translate to school records for an entire unit. The same fallacious argument could be made about Wilson's outstanding 2013 and 2015 offenses - - that Wilson wouldn't have done squat without future NFLers (including impactful NFLers) Coleman, Howard and Spriggs.

Our offense had much adversity to overcome in the season that just concluded, including a plethora of injuries unlike anything I can remember at IU and, as you pointed out, continuing issues at QB. Better offensive line play and mobility at the QB position will make DeBord look much better in 2018.

Last edited:

What I said was that I did not feel a sense of urgency coming from the staff that had 0 good wins this year and 2 bad losses. Is there no need for ANY staff changes? Any rearrangement of assignments? As far as recruiting goes, look at the way Harbaugh is going after several Ole Miss transfers....flew a university plane down there to talk to one. Isn't UM Hertz? Aren't we Avis? Shouldn't we be trying harder than them? We have Mississippi connections. I know we're trying to get involved with Love in the '18 class. Are we talking to any of their transfers? I hope so but haven't heard anything to that effect. Now if a story comes out tomorrow that we're recruiting 3 or 4 Ole Miss transfers I'll have some evidence we're doing everything we can to get better.

I don't get it either. You're exactly right.

Both offenses struggled and the OL has to get better.

I don't think people are down on the LEO concept. I think what happened was that CTA over-promised due to his enthusiasm and inexperience, and he's lost some credibility. I know with me and people I know. Now I'm watching to see if he is willing to do any real reevaluation of his staff, as one would expect with a team that had 0 good wins and 2 bad losses. It's a question of competence now. Is he willing to change things that should be changed (DeBord) or does he "love" everyone so much he'll conclude that this year was just an aberration. Right now, to me, it looks like the latter case.

My concern going forward is Debord's offense, I just did not like it. I guess five or six years of Kevin Wilson ball has spoiled me offensively speaking...that said, I'm looking forward to seeing what next year's offense will look like.

People here tend to discount the losses of LB on defense and that's a mistake. We will be so frigging green at LB that it's scary. Our run defense wore down as the year went on, that's why I said we were shot heading up to Purdue.

I see next year's team as a 7 win team at best. Until Indiana wins games they should win, they'll have a hard time being anything other than a 5-7 win program.

I'd be very surprised if we win 7 games next year. Although the schedule will be easier, I see a little drop-off in quality as likely. I also think there will be very little fan enthusiasm going into the year. That's why I'm glad to hear Allen 'has some packages' available for Reece T. At least look at it. I think fans have to be convinced IU is doing everything it can to shake things up and win some serious games.

[enough excuses to go around for everyone. Some Allen controlled, but most he didn't.

If we really want to understand the psychology of those calling for Allen's head, there is a simple metric. Just go back to Spring ball time and the read their predictions. Dooo...that's right...most of them predicted a big winning season...you know, a "breakout", 8-10 wins or the season would be a failure.

Now, it was crazy then, and its crazy now. But facts don't matter here...it's about being made to look the fool and having their feeling hurt. Damn the reality of the situation...they EXPECTED to win. Now they judge things by their "feelings" and gut reactions...when what they want to do is drop down on the ground flail their arms and legs and pound sand in a glorious tantrum.

Instead, we find ourselves arguing with those who cannot be argued with as truth is not their goal. Its retribution for what Allen "did" to them. All so silly and childish. If it was an actual debate about something debatable, we could debate it...but you cant. It just breaks down into a pissing contest. God I'm too old for this same pap that was going on here 20 years ago.

Where's my whip? I need a good flogging. It would be more fun that this.

Sorry...I digest...you were trying to say something? vbg[/QUOTE]
I agree 100%. If you were a guy who saw the team going to bowls, and saw the improvement, and had high hopes, then Allen is a dissapointment. Combine that with how Wilson was let go, the fact that half of the fan base was alienated, feelings towards glass, and IU football history... and you can see WHY people are hard on Allen.

I fully understand where those calling for Allen’s jobs are coming from, and they could be right. None of us know if he’s the man for the jobs.

I just think there’s tangible evidence that he is the man, and wasn’t just a cheap backup option for Wilson. He has legitimate character difference from a Wilson, or a Dinardo, or a Cameron, and a legitimate Defensive coaching background which is what IU is missing. The reason for failure this year was simple from my perspective. The offensive line and defensive line flat out weren’t talented enough. You look at the guys, and they didn’t play at a Big Ten level, and weren’t as good as the guys they replaced. BUT many other posters have said, they can improve, and we can win with the same guys. Cam Jones will contribute hopefully. Devandre Love will hopefully have some signs of life. Baker and Knight will be seniors and will hopefully come to play, and Knight has NFL potential if he ever plays up to his potential. Cronk will hopefully be healthy. Colorado was in a similar situation with a coaching change and hadn’t bowled in a decade. In year 3 or 4 of the change in 2016 they won their division and went to the pac championship because you can get it done with the same guys if you develop them.

But I could be wrong and I won’t discount those who are calling for Allen’s job because really none of us know what will happen. Improving the o-line and d-line will show what kind of coaching staff we have, and after next year we can evaluate the situation with more clarity.

Reactions: ESalum86
The relevant point of this discourse is...nobodies offence works when the oline struggles. Wilson's best offenses is when we had a top 5 oline. When we didn't, it struggles. Deborgs play calling was very suspect...but I'll give him that the oline wasn't good at all. Players? Coaching? Probably some of both. But unless it improves, we won't.

The relevant point of this discourse is...nobodies offence works when the oline struggles. Wilson's best offenses is when we had a top 5 oline. When we didn't, it struggles. Deborgs play calling was very suspect...but I'll give him that the oline wasn't good at all. Players? Coaching? Probably some of both. But unless it improves, we won't.
Just a friendly FYI, and only because you've referred to him three or four times in this thread as "Deborg" or "DeBorg." It's "DeBord."

Bet DeBord would look good if he had kick ass Oline and stallions at QB, RB & WR. Not saying we don't have any talent, but just remember, the great players can make many coaches look good.

Think he gets a good 2nd year to see how we do and I'd argue with all the Oline experience coming back, they "should" be better. Hopefully with Hale/Westbrook back, plus other WR talent that will be strong. Ellison/Gest ended strong and VA back coming in looks to be real deal. Check at RB. Leaves TE (think we have enough talent there to be B10 level good.) Leaves QB. Can Ramsey step it up another notch? Will Tronti show FL Mr. Football skills? Will we land another legit dual threat with size this class? And will Reese Taylor get a shot to show if his skills translate at QB at next level.

With all of that, DeBord will have to show he can mix it up, move the ball, score in red zone, and not do the 3 and outs leaving defense winded. I'm optimistic for next year.

Sorry...been calling him the "Borg" ever since he got here. From a friend of mine who is a long time UT fan. Apparently they had several pet names for him...many not quite nice...vbg. I did it so long its a habit now...smack!...okay, I'll stop that...smack smack! Bad me! Sorry...

I get that, I really do. We had 4 games we could have won, maybe at least 3 we should have won. We had a first year head coach and a team with talent scattered throughout but also some big holes and some key injuries. You can call those excuses or facts but it really doesn't matter. There are some things that were shown this year that I didn't like. First the conservative strategy on offense that I think cost us a couple of chances to win games. I hope that it was more of a personell problem than a long term strategy. You can't play not to lose against todays teams. I also don't think it is a good idea for Allen to DC and HC at the same time. He needs to hire someone that can run his stuff and work with him. There are some positives from this season and recruiting is probably going to end up much better than the last 3 seasons. Someone pointing to these things doesn't make them a shill. Positives don't mean beans if you don't do something with them however. Next season we need to see some real gains and anything like this season or worse should bring some real changes if we are ever going to move forward.

We didn't have the QB to pull off the borderline wins. He doesn't get all of the blame as our OL was awful as well.

Reactions: LeConte
Sorry...been calling him the "Borg" ever since he got here. From a friend of mine who is a long time UT fan. Apparently they had several pet names for him...many not quite nice...vbg. I did it so long its a habit now...smack!...okay, I'll stop that...smack smack! Bad me! Sorry...

Tennessee just hired a guy who is largely regarded as a freaking nut case and has been labeled by many as "difficult to work with" and "not head coaching material". Oh, and he is just a coordinator who held three different DC positions in 4 years.

Be interested to what your friend has to say about him?

Reactions: IUCol
Tennessee just hired a guy who is largely regarded as a freaking nut case and has been labeled by many as "difficult to work with" and "not head coaching material". Oh, and he is just a coordinator who held three different DC positions in 4 years.

Be interested to what your friend has to say about him?

I'll ask him over the weekend. Those UT fans are a real piece of work. They talk like they are OSU, but play like MSU...unpredictable. Hard times in UT land now days. They expect national championships and they cant win their own conference...I give my buddy a hard time. He usually fires back that well yeah, I'm a UT fan...but hell, you follow IU. Usually shuts me up...vbg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT