ADVERTISEMENT

Which way is recruiting going?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Here are the class recruiting rankings using info from this website. Last year's recruits were Coach Wilsons. There has been a lot of talk about IU getting better recruits every year. Draw your own conclusions.

Jordan Howard came here to fill a need as a transfer student because IU was in a tough conference and the cupboards were bare. Same with Richard Lagow. These two were more emergency responders than recruits.

2005 72
2006 84
2007 97
2008 78
2009 59
2010 92
2011 59
2012 66
2013 38
2014 38
2015 49
2016 54
2017 65
2018 ?

Here are the class recruiting rankings using info from this website. Last year's recruits were Coach Wilsons. There has been a lot of talk about IU getting better recruits every year. Draw your own conclusions.

Jordan Howard came here to fill a need as a transfer student because IU was in a tough conference and the cupboards were bare. Same with Richard Lagow. These two were more emergency responders than recruits.

2005 72
2006 84
2007 97
2008 78
2009 59
2010 92
2011 59
2012 66
2013 38
2014 38
2015 49
2016 54
2017 65
2018 ?
Very likely a low 50's finish nationally, 6th or 7th in the Big Ten East, and 11th or 12th overall in the conference (this is where they currently reside based on Rival's stars). Compared to the rest of the conference, they're struggling.

2005 72
2006 84
2007 97
2008 78
2009 59
2010 92
2011 59
2012 66
2013 38
2014 38
2015 49
2016 54
2017 65
2018 ?
Your list kind of explains why recruiting rankings don’t matter per se. The 2011 class is when things started to turn around, CKW’s first class, and mostly lynch’s Class. Those guys came in and replaced lynch’s Players, but was only ranked 59th. Guys like Wynn, Latimer, Richardson, Hunter, Shaw, Stephen Houston, and Reed all at least got NFL tryouts and really helped turn the program around. The 12’ class was ranked even lower, but probably had even more talent... Spriggs, Coleman, Feeney, Sudfeld and a host of quality role players. 13’ was the best class, but a lot of guys obviously got arrested, kicked off, or transferred in that class. But with Latham, Fant and others being in that class, it was a useful class that helped us turn the corner. 15’ and 16’ were rated higher than 11’, but they haven’t performed as well as the 11’ or 12’ class. The 17’ class was rated higher than the 12’ class, and again doesn’t seem to have the same quality of talent.

So I think that when you really look into the details of these rankings, you’ll see that they’re almost irrelevant. IU is a program that has to get under the radar kids too, so the class rankings may not accurately reflect the performance of the players within the class. Our tight end commit for the 18’ class is a good example. I think that TJ ivy is a 4 Star because of how well he fits our system. He is a faster version of Ian Thomas. But he’s only rated a three star. For multiple reasons, his rating doesn’t necessarily reflect the impact he will have, because ratings don’t reflect how well a guy will fit your system. The reason why CKW’s first three classes were his best is because he was able to find under the radar guys with Big Ten bodies who fit the system. In his last three classes he missed on a lot of guys who may have been highly rated, because they didn’t really fit the system.

I know a class full of 4-star recruits would be super exciting, but we're at an almost 100% 3-star level now which is higher than we were in the past. And as was stated above, you really can't fully judge a class until 2-3 years later to see how they actually did. (See Cronk & Ball being 2-star recruits. We'd love a whole team of 2-star recruits like them.)

How about we wait to see the final list we sign, and then see how they do when they start playing. Frankly, the ideal situation would be if we could RS as many of this class as possible so they don't even start playing until after a year of lifting and learning the program.

I think this class has some good size and athletes coming in and that's on top of some guys like Whop, Ellison, Fitzgerald and Caleb Jones, who I think are all going to be great from last year's class. Patience people, it doesn't happen over night, but I think Allen's focus, intensity and enthusiasm are going to pay off.

Bear in mind there are 65 power 5 schools when looking at rankings.

2005 72
2006 84
2007 97
2008 78
2009 59
2010 92
2011 59
2012 66
2013 38
2014 38
2015 49
2016 54
2017 65
2018 ?

We are currently ranked 40th nationally and 9th out of 14 in the Big Ten with room to move up since we still have 6 to give +[not counting "early Spring Semester enrollees // (Per another site)//.

I've always felt that after the top 25 group, those teams with mainly 3 stars are tough to call as to how things will pan out 3-5 years down the road.

I've never put much stock in the rankings.

It's been clear (to me anyway), that a lot of the 4 star vs 3 star rankings are driven by who's recruiting you and how many paying customers that respective team may have logging on to the respective recruiting sites...

Looks to me like we're doing fine (on paper) so far this recruiting cycle. We'll know a lot more on 12/21...

We are currently ranked 40th nationally and 9th out of 14 in the Big Ten with room to move up since we still have 6 to give +[not counting "early Spring Semester enrollees // (Per another site)//.

I've always felt that after the top 25 group, those teams with mainly 3 stars are tough to call as to how things will pan out 3-5 years down the road.

I've never put much stock in the rankings.

It's been clear (to me anyway), that a lot of the 4 star vs 3 star rankings are driven by who's recruiting you and how many paying customers that respective team may have logging on to the respective recruiting sites...

Looks to me like we're doing fine (on paper) so far this recruiting cycle. We'll know a lot more on 12/21...
Actually, based on Rivals star ratings, IU is 52nd nationally, 11th in the Big Ten, and 6th in the East. You've only considered quantity, wherein quality is a far better guide. Sorry to inject the truth.

Actually, based on Rivals star ratings, IU is 52nd nationally, 11th in the Big Ten, and 6th in the East. You've only considered quantity, wherein quality is a far better guide. Sorry to inject the truth.

The truth is that IU has currently verballed one flip from West Virginia, a former Tennessee verbal, probably the best player in the state of Indiana and an RB pursued by just about every school on the southeast coast. So, your generic "quality" argument is bunk.

2005 72
2006 84
2007 97
2008 78
2009 59
2010 92
2011 59
2012 66
2013 38
2014 38
2015 49
2016 54
2017 65
2018 ?
2018 is currently 8th in the B1G and 36th nationally. We have mostly three stars with solid offer lists. That will win you games.

I mean you could’ve looked all this up yourself.

That's not the truth. If it is, why does Rivals indicate #36? They just making that up? This ranking also takes into account the RR assignments, the quality you mention.

The truth is that IU has currently verballed one flip from West Virginia, a former Tennessee verbal, probably the best player in the state of Indiana and an RB pursued by just about every school on the southeast coast. So, your generic "quality" argument is bunk.
Ivy was dropped by WVU, just as Burgess was dropped last year by USC.

That's not the truth. If it is, why does Rivals indicate #36? They just making that up? This ranking also takes into account the RR assignments, the quality you mention.
No, based on Rivals star ratings by player, my figures are correct. Do some basic research if you want to have any credibility.

Ok then, what’s your view of the quality of each recruit?
Nice pivot, but the fact is neither you nor I nor anyone here has seen many, if any, of the committed recruits beyond the deceptively unreliable highlight videos. Of course, RBB and others have specifically referenced the Rivals rankings when disingenuously touting the class, and I was merely offering a far more accurate view based on those standards. But you knew that . . .

Man there are no truths at IU according to you.
Since you threw out a random attack rather than challenge what I presented, I'll accept that as your admission that you agree with what I posted, even if you don't particularly like it. Facts sometimes are a problem for you, aren't they?

2018 is currently 8th in the B1G and 36th nationally. We have mostly three stars with solid offer lists. That will win you games.

I mean you could’ve looked all this up yourself.

I thought you were going to come back with some insight as to how Indiana's recruits are meeting the needs of the roster. Something more related to players that will by into Indiana's system and the particular holes in the roster.

I think everyone has signed off on these rankings that are nothing more than an arithmetic mean as being pretty worthless once you get past the teams that average 3.5 to 4 stars.

Since you threw out a random attack rather than challenge what I presented, I'll accept that as your admission that you agree with what I posted, even if you don't particularly like it. Facts sometimes are a problem for you, aren't they?

I don't know it's FACT that WVU dropped Ivy or USC dropped Burgess. Allen said he was committed to USC and then flipped. So de facto that would indicate to me "no truths at IU" and Allen was lying - according to your facts.

I find it odd you like to fight w/posters, denigrate IU, focus on the negatives of the program, etc. Don't really care, your life. Just pointing out some other facts.

I thought you were going to come back with some insight as to how Indiana's recruits are meeting the needs of the roster. Something more related to players that will by into Indiana's system and the particular holes in the roster.

I think everyone has signed off on these rankings that are nothing more than an arithmetic mean as being pretty worthless once you get past the teams that average 3.5 to 4 stars.
I agree. I’ve only looked at a couple, but TJ ivy looks like he will fit in nicely. Seems to have speed, and needs to gain a little weight, but can be a good receiving TE. West Virginia wasn’t a good fit for him because they don’t utilize the TE the same way that IU will. He seems to be a faster Ian Thomas, and appears to at least be a willing blocker. I think that he fits in nicely and appears to be even more athletic than Thomas or Bolser were coming into college.

Aiden Raffery also looks like a guy we can work with. He’s a tackle now, but he could be a consideration to move to guard early in his career because he doesn’t seem to necessarily have the quickness to pass set right away as a tackle. He’s a smart player though. What I look for in high school OL guys is whether they are smart enough to get a seal off block, how quickly they execute their assignment, and if they play through the whistle. He does all of those really well. I don’t care how many pancakes they get, because all dudes in high school with size will get pancakes, but Rafferty actually looks coherent in the run game and runs power plays and counters with near perfect execution. Because of his run blocking skills and intelligence/flexibility, I think he starts out at guard, or at least that’s where I’d put him.

Other than that, I haven’t had the time to look at any other recruits in detail, but those two guys look like they could contribute right away.

I don't know it's FACT that WVU dropped Ivy or USC dropped Burgess. Allen said he was committed to USC and then flipped. So de facto that would indicate to me "no truths at IU" and Allen was lying - according to your facts.

I find it odd you like to fight w/posters, denigrate IU, focus on the negatives of the program, etc. Don't really care, your life. Just pointing out some other facts.
Anyone who follows recruiting knows that both of those kids were dropped from their USC and WVU commitments before pledging to IU. Now hopefully they turn into great players, but that doesn't changes the fact that neither player was "flipped" to IU.

Anyone who follows recruiting knows that both of those kids were dropped from their USC and WVU commitments before pledging to IU. Now hopefully they turn into great players, but that doesn't changes the fact that neither player was "flipped" to IU.

Oh, you are a recruiting analyst? You know for a fact their offers were dropped? You have no tangible insight. Making stuff up again.

Oh, you are a recruiting analyst? You know for a fact their offers were dropped? You have no tangible insight. Making stuff up again.
Again, anyone who follows recruiting knows about both kids. You should follow a little more closely so you have a better comprehension of what goes on in the sport. Good luck.

Again, anyone who follows recruiting knows about both kids. You should follow a little more closely so you have a better comprehension of what goes on in the sport. Good luck.

Your "following" of recruitment involves reading a few Rivals snippets, jumping on something that sounds negative about the program and blowing it up to some crisis level or piggybacking off what another negative poster has thrown up against the wall. You really need to be a bit more linked in and maybe then you will actually have something concrete to contribute here.

Your "following" of recruitment involves reading a few Rivals snippets, jumping on something that sounds negative about the program and blowing it up to some crisis level or piggybacking off what another negative poster has thrown up against the wall. You really need to be a bit more linked in and maybe then you will actually have something concrete to contribute here.
You've already shown you don't have an understanding of college football. No need to continue to demonstrate your ignorance. You're embarrassing yourself. And your childish denial of the truth about Burgess and Ivy makes you look dumber, if that's possible.

You've already shown you don't have an understanding of college football. No need to continue to demonstrate your ignorance. You're embarrassing yourself. And your childish denial of the truth about Burgess and Ivy makes you look dumber, if that's possible.

Again, the "truth" as you know it only leases space in your own head.

And it is really sad that you chose to denigrate two players for your own self worth when you are as far removed from the situation as humanly possible. Very sad for you.

And it is really sad that you chose to denigrate two players for your own self worth when you are as far removed from the situation as humanly possible. Very sad for you.
I'm not denigrating either of them in any way. I'm merely telling the truth about the circumstances of their respective recruitments, both of which included them being dropped by the schools to whom they originally committed. I realize you have a growing reputation as someone who only wants positive information here, even if it's untruthful, but that doesn't concern me in the least. What I've said is completely accurate, and your tantrum is solely based on the fact that the truth isn't to your liking. As such, you look incredibly foolish.

That you're joining a select few here who are simultaneously posting under multiple names only shows your desperation after missing so badly on the results of this past season.

C.C., don’t waste your time on the 13th reincarnation of Ord, you can’t have an intelligent discussion with dumb. You just get the same regurgitated limited vocabulary and responses, “company line, embarrassing yourself, foolish” etc,, never a proven fact, just insults.
The ignore feature is your friend.

Reactions: IUCol
Well here is one credible story from NBC saying the WV offer was basically non-commitable and he was told to “keep his options open” I’d say that is a dropped commitment

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/preps-talk/marist-tight-end-tj-ivy-commits-indiana
In the end it’s irrelevant, even if it is accurate, UNLESS the staff missed something that West Virginia knows. My opinion is that Ivy doesn’t fit the mix because they’re a big 12 team, and they likely offered him as a backup plan. What I mean by a big 12 team is those dudes go 5 receivers and chuck it every play. You can live without a TE in the Big 12. I get the feeling that they would’ve liked to have him just in case, But didn’t need him, and if they got other guys on defense or other key positions, they didn’t want to lead him on. If that’s what happened, then I’m okay with them dropping him because he fits in when it comes to this conference

In the end it’s irrelevant, even if it is accurate, UNLESS the staff missed something that West Virginia knows. My opinion is that Ivy doesn’t fit the mix because they’re a big 12 team, and they likely offered him as a backup plan. What I mean by a big 12 team is those dudes go 5 receivers and chuck it every play. You can live without a TE in the Big 12. I get the feeling that they would’ve liked to have him just in case, But didn’t need him, and if they got other guys on defense or other key positions, they didn’t want to lead him on. If that’s what happened, then I’m okay with them dropping him because he fits in when it comes to this conference

I really do appreciate your insight in football that you take the time to share. Big thank-you. I really don’t care if a player gets dropped by another school..... these particular two kids are great additions to the team. I would hope we get many more like them. I’m not an analyst but Burgess sure was sought after heavily and T.J. just “looks” like a B10 player....

Thanks again.

Reactions: Superstar84b
This one says Burgess never had an official visit to USC and was being recruited over by two higher rated players. I’d say it wasn’t pulled but I think again it was an uncommitable offer.....doesn’t mean anything because I think we are lucky to have both....which matters but the arguments about this stuff is silly....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-burgess-decommits-from-usc-flips-to-indiana/
Burgess did not have an opportunity to commit to or attend USC. It's that simple. He might be a great player for IU, bit the issue that CC / RBB tried to bs everyone about was that IU "flipped" him. That's simply not the case, just as they didn't "flip" Ivy.

I watched the Ivy tape and he seems incredibly underrated. How Rivals can rank a kid with his size, speed, athletic ability, etc., so low, is foolish on their part.

Look at it this way, he looks better than the kid we had on this year's team who is a legit NFL prospect. Ranking him a low end three star recruit is flat out lazy.

ADVERTISEMENT