ADVERTISEMENT

Which QB will transfer (a hypothetical)?

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
Underlying assumption here is that nobody will lose a year of eligibility if there's no season for the B1G this year.

Next year we'd have:
Penix (RS-So)
Tuttle (RS-So)
Williams (Fr)
McCulley (Fr)

That's a lot of talent bottle necked for a school of IU's national stature.

Is there any chance someone like Williams could handle a position change?

My real guess would be that Tuttle would go (and I wouldn't blame him) because he would face a real chance of getting lost in the shuffle between Penix & McCulley if McCulley shows early signs of living up to his potential/ranking. He'd probably be the secure backup in 2021, but unless Penix had a GREAT year and made a run for the NFL, it'd be easy for Tuttle to spend 1 year at #2 and possibly his last year at #3.

Not hoping for any particular outcome, just gaming things out in my head.

Reactions: Hoosier009
No idea but, in my opinion, Penix will start until he decides to go pro. Tuttle will most likely play next and then he'll go pro. After that we will have a whole new horse race at QB...

Reactions: vesuvius13
No idea but, in my opinion, Penix will start until he decides to go pro. Tuttle will most likely play next and then he'll go pro. After that we will have a whole new horse race at QB...
If Penix doesn't leave early, then Tuttle never plays since they're the same class.

And re-reading, I need to correct myself. If Penix stays 4 years, then Tuttle could spend 1 year at #2 & 2 years at #3. Or more likely 2 years at #2 & 1 year at #3.

Reactions: Chriselli
Penix is the man until he leaves. I would not be surprised if a quarterback transfers at some point, but two of the four kids mentioned have not worn the uniform yet and another has less than five passes under his belt.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
Underlying assumption here is that nobody will lose a year of eligibility if there's no season for the B1G this year.

Next year we'd have:
Penix (RS-So)
Tuttle (RS-So)
Williams (Fr)
McCulley (Fr)

My real guess would be that Tuttle would go (and I wouldn't blame him) because he would face a real chance of getting lost in the shuffle between Penix & McCulley if McCulley shows early signs of living up to his potential/ranking. He'd probably be the secure backup in 2021, but unless Penix had a GREAT year and made a run for the NFL, it'd be easy for Tuttle to spend 1 year at #2 and possibly his last year at #3.

This could be interesting for Tuttle. Tuttle would again be a R-So next year and in his 4th year academically ? Say he doesn't play much (although I think he will play and do good) then if he transfers he will have to sit out a year and he will be in his 5th year academically but a R-JR. Does he lose a year athletically with the transfer? He's already used his redshirt year at Utah. Then is his 6th year as a R-SR. Am I following that correctly? It's now 5 years to play 4 but with the exemption 6 years to play 4 ? Math majors chime in please.

Next year we'd have:
Penix (RS-So)
Tuttle (RS-So)
Williams (Fr)
McCulley (Fr)

I think Tuttle will get a chance to prove himself, if we ever play football again. Penix's ability to stay healthy hasn't yet been proved.

But, if Penix is as good as advertised, he'd be wise to declare for the NFL draft.

I guess I don't see Tuttle transferring another time and sitting out a year, if that's still required.

I don't like to say this, but if McCauley is a real star this year, he may get offers from some very good schools.

If the SEC and ACC play this year, the Big Ten will kill itself trying to have some kind of season this winter or next Spring. So, I think a year will be used by all on the current roster that aren't red-shirted.

he loses a year if he transfers again. unless this year is a wash due to covid and they grant another year.

I don't see him transferring again. I hope all of the QBs stay.

Next year we'd have:
Penix (RS-So)
Tuttle (RS-So)
Williams (Fr)
McCulley (Fr)

Of those 4 I don't think any of them, but if one does, it would probably be Williams especially if McCulley overtakes him on the depth chart. By all accounts, Tuttle was outplaying Ramsey in practice later in the year last year, but the staff went with game experience. Tuttle will be the starter once Penix goes pro, which if he stays healthy, I truly think he could leave early. Good problem to have. 4 very solid QBs!

This could be interesting for Tuttle. Tuttle would again be a R-So next year and in his 4th year academically ? Say he doesn't play much (although I think he will play and do good) then if he transfers he will have to sit out a year and he will be in his 5th year academically but a R-JR. Does he lose a year athletically with the transfer? He's already used his redshirt year at Utah. Then is his 6th year as a R-SR. Am I following that correctly? It's now 5 years to play 4 but with the exemption 6 years to play 4 ? Math majors chime in please.
The grad transfer rule could come into play as well.

The grad transfer rule could come into play as well.
That you mention it, the grad transfer rule could come into play for a LOT of kids/schools over the next couple of years because of this. If the kids have any kind of good head on their shoulders they'll be taking extra classes this whole academic year so that they can (a) graduate super-early compared to where they'd normally or (b) be able to take the bare minimum 12 hours for the rest of their playing careers and make the grind more tolerable.

Of those 4 I don't think any of them, but if one does, it would probably be Williams especially if McCulley overtakes him on the depth chart. By all accounts, Tuttle was outplaying Ramsey in practice later in the year last year, but the staff went with game experience. Tuttle will be the starter once Penix goes pro, which if he stays healthy, I truly think he could leave early. Good problem to have. 4 very solid QBs!
I agree. I think MP goes NFL a year early, Tuttle has the reins for a year and a more mature McCulley takes over the year after. Williams is the then going to look around.

The question in my mind is whether one of the two guys who is more Athletic than Tuttle would accept a position change (mcCulley or Williams). If you really want to get on the Field and the team wants to get the best Athletes on the field, can you swallow your Ego and accept the change? if the team gets in a bind at Quarterback due to injury, you have training in the Offensive system, and can be a backup even if you are playing another position.

The question in my mind is whether one of the two guys who is more Athletic than Tuttle would accept a position change (mcCulley or Williams). If you really want to get on the Field and the team wants to get the best Athletes on the field, can you swallow your Ego and accept the change? if the team gets in a bind at Quarterback due to injury, you have training in the Offensive system, and can be a backup even if you are playing another position.
That very rarely, if ever, works out. Once a position change is made, they practice that position. They don't get the reps at QB they need.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

We don't seem to allow backup QBs to play other positions. As soon as Taylor became the backup, he was removed from playing anywhere else on the field.

Reactions: TMFT and DANC
ARE officially averaged thirty hits a game. Some plays as many as three. ARE was a machine.

Best college Football player i have ever seen.
I'm not sure if this makes sense or not, but at least ARE got to control the hits he took, to some extent. Like I'd rather take 5 hits from a linebacker as I'm running toward him and preparing for the hit vs. 1 blindside hit while I'm in my pocket pose or otherwise unprepared.

But yeah, for a smaller guy, ARE was an animal. Which showed itself with him being able to have the kind of NFL career he had.

I’d pump the brakes on MP. Some guys are just injury magnets. ARE got hit a million times and missed what, a game or 2?
You wouldn't tell me to "pump the brakes" if you've seen what I have seen. But your statement holds merit because you haven't seen what I have seen and it's not been consistent in games yet, but scouts know the truth.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Who says any of them will transfer? Why does everyone insist on rolling in negativity? We have a talented QB room filled with young men who CHOSE to attend IU and play for CTA. Let's enjoy that and continue to bring in coveted players to help our Hoosiers win!

Who says any of them will transfer? Why does everyone insist on rolling in negativity? We have a talented QB room filled with young men who CHOSE to attend IU and play for CTA. Let's enjoy that and continue to bring in coveted players to help our Hoosiers win!
I don't consider it negativity. I just think it's a realistic conversation to have. Right or wrong, it's the world we live in. IU just doesn't have the track record to hoard talent like the blue bloods do. And even with them, no one picks a college with the intent to be buried on the depth chart. And I wouldn't blame them for it, much like I still have nothing but love for Ramsey for his decision. I'm a little saltier about Cronk, but only because he still would've been a starter, just at a different position.

And I'd love for IU to be able to have a 4* recruit as a career backup. That would speak volumes for the state of the program. I just don't think they're there yet.

what a great thread, especially when no one here has seen 3 of the 4 QBs ever play in college.
There is no football. What else is there to talk about other than hypothetical?

That said, I saw Jack Tuttle and Mike Penix play in person last year. Jack was clearly nervous and made a couple high throws, but also had Miles Marshall drop a TD literally in his hands. There were lots of rumors that Tuttle was outplaying Ramsey down the stretch. If Penix stays healthy, I could see Tuttle being a grad transfer with a lot of options.

After watching both Williams and McCulley's HUDL videos, they have big time arms. Whether they turn that into production remains to be seen. That said, I think people are sleeping on Williams because he's the lowest rated of the bunch.

All that said, we're in a pretty good spot considering what the QB room looked like when CKW left.

There is no football. What else is there to talk about other than hypothetical?

That said, I saw Jack Tuttle and Mike Penix play in person last year. Jack was clearly nervous and made a couple high throws, but also had Miles Marshall drop a TD literally in his hands. There were lots of rumors that Tuttle was outplaying Ramsey down the stretch. If Penix stays healthy, I could see Tuttle being a grad transfer with a lot of options.

After watching both Williams and McCulley's HUDL videos, they have big time arms. Whether they turn that into production remains to be seen. That said, I think people are sleeping on Williams because he's the lowest rated of the bunch.

All that said, we're in a pretty good spot considering what the QB room looked like when CKW left.
CTA has clearly had an easier time attracting QB talent than Kevin Wilson. I never would have seen that coming but it gives me a ray of hope in this staff! Allen is better at it than I anticipated and Wilson was way worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT