ADVERTISEMENT

Which one of these 6 guys won't start?

Good question...there should be an interesting position battle for starting slots on the OL. I would also include K. Benson and possibly Holtz to be in the mix. In response to your question I believe the two tackle positions will come down to a battle btw Jones, Bedford & Haggard. Jones will start if he is back in shape. Bedford will start if he regains his form. Therefore, Haggard will be the odd man out but he will see plenty of playing time. There is a lot more depth in the OL room this season versus last year.

Good take 009. Bedford and Jones will get first cracks over Haggard, who played well at LT when called upon. Despite being 75-80 lbs lighter, Haggard played better than Jones last year, but the ceiling is higher for Jones. Haggard should get plenty of snaps too, I hope.

Depending on how the line looks to the coaches in practice & depending on overall health, I can see a scenario where Bedford moves to the interior & Haggard ends up at one of the OT positions before the end of the year. I'm not sure where his weight is at the moment, but he's so darn long & pretty athletic, if he's got the beef to go with it, he'll be a good one.

Haggard's best friend, IMO, though is time. He's got another two years of eligibility (I think) since the free COVID year. If last year wasn't an aberration, I think he might end up being another IU NFL o-lineman.

Haggard is over 300 lbs now according to the roster and if he maintains his foot speed I think he will play a lot. I really question Jones' upside because he hasn't shown the foot quickness to elevate his play. I hope this season with weight loss he does develop the foot speed to excel.

IU has some intriguing options on the OL this year so coach Hiller should be able to create a very good OL that can run block and pass pro to make this offense explosive in the B1G.

Jones should have his weight and conditioning in a much better place this year, so if he has what it takes to start I could see him and Haggard pushing Bedford to guard, like TMFT said. But would Bedford be better than Powell, Carpenter or Katic? Benson might be a little behind because of his injury, but I could see him making a splash later in the season. What's the word on Holtz?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Haggard is impressive, bottom line. Indiana has never had a backup tackle on his level.
I expect Haggard to be a starter by mid season. Doubt if he starts early. No inside info just a hunch. He played due to injury last year so he has to earn the spot. Not sure who he beats out but at 300 + he's going to be a handful if he keeps the foot speed. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT