ADVERTISEMENT

Which newcomer will make the biggest impact next year?

Palmbeachhoosier

All-Big Ten
Aug 13, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
I think we have the potential for several guys to make an impact next year on offense.
I think the first guy I look at is Gary Cooper it I has been stated many times that DeBoer threw a lot to TE last year. I think he created some potential mismatch opportunities may be too quick and athletic for linebacker to cover and too big and strong for a DB.
The second guy is Sampson James. He looks to have the break away speed that Stevie Scott does not. Should be interesting to see how DeBoer balances the potential 3 headed running attack of Scott, Walker and James.

Reactions: Sassy61
Sio on DL. Tiawan could play DB (if big enough FR year - he reminds me of Fant). Both top LB recruits could be in rotation.

What’s cool about two great classes in a row is if you take too 10 from each class, you start to have cream of crop talent and then add that to best of the RS/Jr’s & Sr’s and you see B10 level talent and depth.

I also think new OC will add innovative twists to help offense step up as wel.

Most will pick James on offense and Sio on D, but I'm picking Katic on offense and Harris on D. Just think both these kids will come in and play a lot and surprise, especially Katic. He's not the biggest kid in the world but he has great technique. I know he was passed over by the bigger schools because of his size, but that will prove to be a mistake. I doubt he starts, but I think he will play more than 4 games as a true frosh guard.

I think Mullen plays a lot. Tracy also at safety.

I think we have the potential for several guys to make an impact next year on offense.
I think the first guy I look at is Gary Cooper it I has been stated many times that DeBoer threw a lot to TE last year. I think he created some potential mismatch opportunities may be too quick and athletic for linebacker to cover and too big and strong for a DB.
The second guy is Sampson James. He looks to have the break away speed that Stevie Scott does not. Should be interesting to see how DeBoer balances the potential 3 headed running attack of Scott, Walker and James.

And Gest! I was so looking forward to Cole last year! That dude has serious wheels!

KB did indeed throw a fair amount to TE's last year but, collectively, he threw as much if not more to RB's so one thing I expect him to do this spring is "test the hands" of all of IU's running backs.

KB did indeed throw a fair amount to TE's last year but, collectively, he threw as much if not more to RB's so one thing I expect him to do this spring is "test the hands" of all of IU's running backs.
You just described my man Gary Cooper as HB/FB/TE Hybrid.

Watch out!

Reactions: Sassy61
I am probably more excited about this class than any other I can remember. It's really difficult to just pick out one single player and say he's the guy you're most excited about because they all offer exciting possibilities.

Ivory Winters probably intrigues me the most. Allen could do so many different things with his talents and that's what will win Indiana games in the future. Mullen and the latest kid from Florida look like big shots, can't wait!!

Pulling these types of recruits will certainly increase the win totals.

1 or both of the grad transfer OT’s they bring in this summer. With 2 good ones move Cronk to center.

Before I respond why would you suggest that move? Who will be these two top flight OT's you speak of?

IMO Cronk’s experience and athleticism would serve us well at center IF 2 good Offensive Tackles could be secured via grad transfers. The who of course is the 64K question. IMO we very much need 1 that can start.

Some names pulled from the internet based on 2 factors, in the portal, likely some personal knowledge of the young men on our staff: Richmond UT, Alexander So. Alabama, Ben Knutson UVA. Given the diverse backgrounds of our current staff no doubt their pool is much deeper.

BLUF this was clearly an area of need in the last 2 classes and that need remains especially for 2019 as there was no strong depth last year and now Knight is gone.

Of course, that is just my opinion, and like most it is offered for free and is at best worth that cost.

Reactions: vesuvius13
IMO Cronk’s experience and athleticism would serve us well at center IF 2 good Offensive Tackles could be secured via grad transfers. The who of course is the 64K question. IMO we very much need 1 that can start.

Some names pulled from the internet based on 2 factors, in the portal, likely some personal knowledge of the young men on our staff: Richmond UT, Alexander So. Alabama, Ben Knutson UVA. Given the diverse backgrounds of our current staff no doubt their pool is much deeper.

BLUF this was clearly an area of need in the last 2 classes and that need remains especially for 2019 as there was no strong depth last year and now Knight is gone.

Of course, that is just my opinion, and like most it is offered for free and is at best worth that cost.

I have thought Cronk to G to be like Feeney 2.0

Reactions: vesuvius13
Sean Wracher is the guy I expect to see good to great things from...

Long Snapper can affect the game quite negatively (in the most rapidly catastrophic way) if they don't do their job and do it well, every single time...

Looks like we've picked up a really good one.

Winters is intriguing too. I'd want to find a way to get him involved early "if" he comes in ready for prime time...

am I allowed to respond "none of the above"? I think the 2019 season will depend on Allen's defense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT