ADVERTISEMENT

Which five players under Coach Knight

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
had the biggest “Green Light” so to speak while playing for him? I’ve been a fan since 1990-1991 season, so I can only speak for since then. I’d have to go in order from that time, Calbert Cheaney, Pat Knight (haha), Damon Bailey, Brian Evans and then ofcourse AJ Guyton.

Off topic, I really always go back to wondering how Knight would have done with a frontcourt rotation of Leach, Newton, Haston and Jeffries. Along with the fresh air of AJ Moye, Donald Perry (wasnt this his last recruit? or was it Kline?) Fife, etc.. I really believe thinking if the bs hadnt went down, Knight could have built a top 15 team again with these kids, and if he could have had JJ stay as a Junior, with May as a freshman, another run at a F4.

had the biggest “Green Light” so to speak while playing for him? I’ve been a fan since 1990-1991 season, so I can only speak for since then. I’d have to go in order from that time, Calbert Cheaney, Pat Knight (haha), Damon Bailey, Brian Evans and then ofcourse AJ Guyton.

Off topic, I really always go back to wondering how Knight would have done with a frontcourt rotation of Leach, Newton, Haston and Jeffries. Along with the fresh air of AJ Moye, Donald Perry (wasnt this his last recruit? or was it Kline?) Fife, etc.. I really believe thinking if the bs hadnt went down, Knight could have built a top 15 team again with these kids, and if he could have had JJ stay as a Junior, with May as a freshman, another run at a F4.
May, Alford and Calbert

“B-I-N-G-O!”, I say…thinking the candy and nuts quite different from the ifs and buts of today.

Yes, I believe we are a serious F4 contender if JJ stays and May comes to IU. Also throw Odle into the mix on that front line.

Yes, I believe we are a serious F4 contender if JJ stays and May comes to IU. Also throw Odle into the mix on that front line.
Jared Odle, the unsung hero. Brian Sloan, Eric Krichner, Steve Aisle, Steve Bouchie…sacrificial parts, together making a stronger whole. Who else we got?

It’s “SteveEyl.”
I smelt a brain fart as I was texting it. Asked Siri a couple times and she couldn’t figure out what it was I was talking about so went with what I had, knowing I would be corrected. I almost had myself talked into “Scott”. Oh, the hungry years…

I smelt a brain fart as I was texting it. Asked Siri a couple times and she couldn’t figure out what it was I was talking about so went with what I had, knowing I would be corrected. I almost had myself talked into “Scott”. Oh, the hungry years…
I thought you, of all people, might get the “A Season on the Brink” reference, abraxis.

Steve Green, May, Woodson, Wittman, Isiah, Alford.

a green light means trusting judgement as well as shooting ability.

Last edited:

If players did not have to play for Knight, but just be a Hoosier in “modern era”, my picks would be:

Alford
Edwards
Cheaney
Guyton
E Gordon

There was no single player that Knight trusted with any decision more than Buckner. There were certainly better shooters, but QB had the green light on any aspect of the game or practice.

Reactions: UncleMark
Zeek, Whit, Kitchel, Bailey, Edwards
How do you make a list about green light under Knight and not have Alford? Feels like a setup. I know he was very hard on Steve, but I don't think there was often he said "Oh no, don't shoot it Steve!". I'd agree with Zeke at 1, then probably have Alford, Whitman, Edwards, and a pickem between Evans and Cheaney. To me, those guys, with the exception of Calbert, their job was to score and so I don't think RMK didn't want them to take a shot.

Reactions: MG80

I'd say Alford because the offense was primarily to get Steve a shot. He had the green light to let er fly. I think Steve had seven 3 pters in the Championship game in 87 which is still a record.

Reactions: ulrey
I'd say Alford because the offense was primarily to get Steve a shot. He had the green light to let er fly. I think Steve had seven 3 pters in the Championship game in 87 which is still a record.
Is it? I thought Gerry McNamara from Syracuse tied it atleast in 2003. Perhaps I’m wrong. He came close to it anyways.

Without a doubt isiah had the biggest green light knight ever flashed.

One of my favorites of his, talking about an ill advised, but made shot: he’d say GD it Alford… ( goes in) nice shot!!!

One of my favorites of his, talking about an ill advised, but made shot: he’d say GD it Alford… ( goes in) nice shot!!!
I remember him saying he didn't care about the shooter's confidence. He cared more about being confident that the shooter was going to make the shot.

Whitman was the only player RMK complain "didn't shoot enough".
B. Evans senior year
Haston
Woodson
May
Isiah

Whitman was the only player RMK complain "didn't shoot enough".
B. Evans senior year
Haston
Woodson
May
Isiah
Still don't see how you put together a list of "green-lighted" players for RMK that doesn't include Steve Alford. He rode him hard, but personally I don't believe there was any player he would have wanted to take a shot more than Steve Alford. Maybe Jay Edwards at the end of a game. Either would likely win a game of horse with anyone on your list 70% or more although Evans would win his share I'd suspect. I'd say your list is more focused on scorers vs pure shooters, but still Steve has to be there, and I'd put Calbert ahead of Haston too. You don't have either of our career scoring leaders on your list of players "green-lighted" by RMK. You think he didn't notice they were scoring so much?

Last edited:
Still don't see how you put together a list of "green-lighted" players for RMK that doesn't include Steve Alford. He rode him hard, but personally I don't believe there was any player he would have wanted to take a shot more than Steve Alford. Maybe Jay Edwards at the end of a game. Either would likely win a game of horse with anyone on your list 70% or more although Evans would win his share I'd suspect. I'd say your list is more focused on scorers vs pure shooters, but still Steve has to be there, and I'd put Calbert ahead of Haston too. You don't have either of our career scoring leaders on your list of players "green-lighted" by RMK. You think he didn't notice they were scoring so much?

RMK expected more out of SA than the other kids on the team. He was definitely hard on him, but generally for things like leadership and his defense. Notably things that Steve worked hard to improve on over his career.

Edit: love this

Last edited:
RMK expected more out of SA than the other kids on the team. He was definitely hard on him, but generally for things like leadership and his defense. Notably things that Steve worked hard to improve on over his career.

Edit: love this
When they went to Madison a few days later and pulled out the triple OT win, that's when I knew they were going to make some noise in the tourney. The big Ls in west laffy and champaign sucked though.

Reactions: .Gerdis
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT