ADVERTISEMENT

Which "candidate" has checked these boxes?

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
1.) Beaten Big Ten teams
2.) Beaten ranked teams
3.) Won in the 2nd weekend of the tournament
4.) Won conference championships
5.) Recruited at a high level over 5+ years
6) Reached top 10 status late in the season or tourney
7) Shown evidence by either, playing a team 2-3 times, or making half time adjustments, that they can quickly adjust in order to win games
8) Had 30 win seasons or multiple single digit loss seasons.
9) Shown a propensity for effective X and O offense and defensive startegy
10) has not been blown out of the gym in key match ups
11) Doesn't upset the Kenny pom pom fans too much

That's our coach.

1.) Beaten Big Ten teams
2.) Beaten ranked teams
7) Shown evidence by either, playing a team 2-3 times, or making half time adjustments, that they can quickly adjust in order to win games

That's our coach.

John Beilein

Matt Painter

Painter checks some of those boxes with the exception of

3. One E8 appearance in 16 years
5. Has never recruited at a high level remotely consistent. Has landed some nice individual talent over the year
10. Had a 30 point loss in a S16 game few years back. Lost on home court to rival by 37 points.

Beilein checks all the boxes, but it's possible he would be nearing 75 years old before IU is back to a consistent winner (6-7 seasons is really how long it took him at UM). His first 4 seasons at UM ranged from bad to average.

1.) Beaten Big Ten teams
2.) Beaten ranked teams

That's our coach.
Coach Knight at Army????

1.) Beaten Big Ten teams
2.) Beaten ranked teams

That's our coach.
Your mom?

Beilein checks all the boxes, but it's possible he would be nearing 75 years old before IU is back to a consistent winner (6-7 seasons is really how long it took him at UM). His first 4 seasons at UM ranged from bad to average.

Then what you do is give him a consulting fee and a head coaching title to ensure a successful transition to Dana Fife.

Howard has Martelli on the bench and that is a perfect type of coach to add.

IU could do the same. Fife + Beilein. Sounds kind of crazy but if Fife is the lead recruiter he would get things in order at his alma mater while Coach B steers the ship and works with him on in game decision making.

1.) Beaten Big Ten teams
2.) Beaten ranked teams

That's our coach.
Chris Beard.

Then what you do is give him a consulting fee and a head coaching title to ensure a successful transition to Dana Fife.

IU could do the same. Fife + Beilein. Sounds kind of crazy but if Fife is the lead recruiter he would get things in order at his alma mater while Coach B steers the ship and works with him on in game decision making.
He’s already in this same position at MSU. He gets to transition to head coach after the icon retires and at a school that has been the marquee basketball program in the Big Ten the last 20 years. Why go to IU?

He’s already in this same position at MSU. He gets to transition to head coach after the icon retires and at a school that has been the marquee basketball program in the Big Ten the last 20 years. Why go to IU?

Because it is an incredible opportunity. Fife is not at all my top choice, but he is the best choice for redrawing Indiana ties.

Because it is an incredible opportunity. Fife is not at all my top choice, but he is the best choice for redrawing Indiana ties.
I sense that Dolson isn’t completely tied to an Indiana guy. He’s already said to build on the foundation in a game that isn’t the same as it was. Choosing one of Knight’s guys doesn’t translate to immediate success. I like the ideas of embracing the past but don’t get desperate and start picking guys based on our affection for them as players.

There is no chance Dane Fife leaves Michigan State for anything but a head coach position.

I went to high school with Dane's wife and her brother; I'll pull some strings. Just kidding, I've seen her maybe twice since she graduated a couple of years before I did. But then again, my sister graduated with her and they're friends on Facebook...

I sense that Dolson isn’t completely tied to an Indiana guy. He’s already said to build on the foundation in a game that isn’t the same as it was. Choosing one of Knight’s guys doesn’t translate to immediate success. I like the ideas of embracing the past but don’t get desperate and start picking guys based on our affection for them as
I am hoping that Dolson already has the coach he wants but that coach is still in the tournament and I think it’s Eric Musselman. I believe he is the right coach. He ha NBA experience, recruits at a high level, great some even say brilliant X and 0 guy.. I would be believing that if we can double Musselman’s pay and pay $5 mil yr we could lure him away from AR. I feel that Dolson wants musselman and will do what it takes to get him. I am hoping that’s why a coach is not named yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT