ADVERTISEMENT

Where was Tayven Jackson

phnxfan

Benchwarmer
Dec 6, 2008
Why didn't Jackson get more of an opportunity to show what he could, or couldn't, do, in the second half, before that last posession? Which, by the way, led to our only touchdown in the second half, thanks to Greens awesome run. He couldn't have done any worse than what Rourke did. Although a large part of the impotent offense was the play calling. Too much of the old IU offensive strategy. Run off tackle, or throw the long, low percentage, pass. Play to not lose, instead of play to win big. Where were the high percentage 2, 5 and 10 yard passes, to move the ball down the field? The offense sucked, especially in the second half. Good thing they got the two-touchdown lead in the first quarter. The whole game looked like, same-o, same-o. Score early, and then stink, the rest of the way. I hope Donaven McCulley is all right.

I'm surprised many were disappointed. I am very happy.

It sure is a new era! Looked reasonably solid and creative to me. Never in doubt in my mind. That's all I could ask.

Sure, we had sloppy play. Some guys will lose snaps, some will gain snaps. We showed a lot of weapons. I was hoping Tayven would get some PT. I don't know if that's coach's MO. Maybe next week.

Last edited:
Why didn't Jackson get more of an opportunity to show what he could, or couldn't, do, in the second half, before that last posession? Which, by the way, led to our only touchdown in the second half, thanks to Greens awesome run. He couldn't have done any worse than what Rourke did. Although a large part of the impotent offense was the play calling. Too much of the old IU offensive strategy. Run off tackle, or throw the long, low percentage, pass. Play to not lose, instead of play to win big. Where were the high percentage 2, 5 and 10 yard passes, to move the ball down the field? The offense sucked, especially in the second half. Good thing they got the two-touchdown lead in the first quarter. The whole game looked like, same-o, same-o. Score early, and then stink, the rest of the way. I hope Donaven McCulley is all right.
The play calling was infinitely better than anything in the past several years. When was the last time we utilized the TE? We had a WR toss sweep. A halfback pass that failed because the dude threw a duck. We knew when to run the ball and grind on them as the game wore on to the tune of almost 300 yards. We punted the ball a total of 3 times. We started the game with 3 straight passes and we had guys drop balls that should have been caught, one on the first 3 and out.

The play calling was infinitely better than anything in the past several years. When was the last time we utilized the TE? We had a WR toss sweep. A halfback pass that failed because the dude threw a duck. We knew when to run the ball and grind on them as the game wore on to the tune of almost 300 yards. We punted the ball a total of 3 times. We started the game with 3 straight passes and we had guys drop balls that should have been caught, one on the first 3 and out.
Double DITTO!

And we’ll need to play with a lead, perhaps: RG/RT were called out by PFF for pass pro. Bostad needs to work some magic there.

He was on the sideline, with a clipboard, charting plays - which is what No. 2 QB’s do to learn.

No. 3 was signalling plays.

The offense did NOT suck.

You should post less.

"Duck" is being kind.

The qb doesn’t have to throw the ball 30+ yds to get rid of the it. 🏈
Throw it on the ground near him.

He was on the sideline, with a clipboard, charting plays - which is what No. 2 QB’s do to learn.

No. 3 was signalling plays.

The offense did NOT suck.

You should post less.
The offense did suck, in the second half. After the first possession punt, IU scored TD's on the next three possessions, and the Field Goal on the first possession of the second half. After that the offense went conservative, and sucked. It was 5 runs, 1 incomplete deep pass, and punt. Then it was 3 running plays, an incomplete pass, and punt. Then it was 3 passes, only one completed, nullified by penalty, 4 runs, and a sack on fourth down. Jackson should have gotten in at some point there in the fourth quarter, long before the last possession, which was intended to just run the clock out. Green foiled that with his great run, albeit, against second stringers, I'm sure. The running backs were great, as was the Defense, but the passing game, particularly in the second half, sucked. With the game outcome pretty much decided, in the fourth quarter, Jackson should have gotten the chance to show what he could, or could not, do, and get the game experience. He took two snaps, one bad snap, and one hand-off. In the Spring game, he was the more accurate passer. The second half was boring, and that's why half the student left early.

Last edited:
I wouid not read much into these first two games.
I’m sure tomorrow will be even more conservative thsn last week.
Based on some comments by CCC he has the UCLA game circled,no reason to show them much of the play book.
I think we are going to get a much clearer picture of what we have next week in Pasadena.
I watched a bit of their game with Hawaii,no reason we can’t go in there and come out with a huge win for the program.

I'm surprised many were disappointed. I am very happy.

It sure is a new era! Looked reasonably solid and creative to me. Never in doubt in my mind. That's all I could ask.

Sure, we had sloppy play. Some guys will lose snaps, some will gain snaps. We showed a lot of weapons. I was hoping Tayven would get some PT. I don't know if that's coach's MO. Maybe next week.
Agreed. Was a business-like performance. Got off to a quick 3 TD lead and didn't have to sweat it out against an inferior opponent which became far too common the last several seasons. I believe I read somewhere that this was IU's first double-digit win against an FBS opponent since 2020...

Anyways, nice seeing a stress-free 2nd half for a change without IU having to open the playbook. Don't show what you don't have too. Guessing lots of reps for the 2's and 3's tomorrow.

Agreed. Was a business-like performance. Got off to a quick 3 TD lead and didn't have to sweat it out against an inferior opponent which became far too common the last several seasons. I believe I read somewhere that this was IU's first double-digit win against an FBS opponent since 2020...

Anyways, nice seeing a stress-free 2nd half for a change without IU having to open the playbook. Don't show what you don't have too. Guessing lots of reps for the 2's and 3's tomorrow.
Precisely.

Reactions: red hornet
Maybe Tayven is not any good.

conservative is for wimps. I just want to take out all of our frustrations over years of losing and just kick the living daylights out of em :)
Generally I would agree, but I saw no point in opening the playbook Saturday. FIU showed minimal ability to come back unless things went completely off the rails. Save it for the tougher games ahead. Anyway, I do enjoy watching a good running attack put the game to bed.

More than TJ getting field time I want the OL members #6 thru 10 to get more snaps Friday night than they could get in a week of practice. That's where dividends are grown. Near same thought for #3 thru 4 backup LB's. That's the true value of these kind of situational games.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT