ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Aloha?

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
He and I haven't seen eye to eye politically, but I hope he's unaffected by the virus. I hope he's okay and healthy.

Used to be, back when there used be basketball . . . .

That I knew. The last I knew of a "basketball" board was when IU hired a known cheater to coach its basketball team. Then I believe the board, and the program, went away?

Slightly more seriously, maybe the statute of limitations on hiring a known cheater has expired and maybe I should go back to really caring about the program (more than, "well, there is nothing better on").

Reactions: Ladoga
That I knew. The last I knew of a "basketball" board was when IU hired a known cheater to coach its basketball team. Then I believe the board, and the program, went away?

Slightly more seriously, maybe the statute of limitations on hiring a known cheater has expired and maybe I should go back to really caring about the program (more than, "well, there is nothing better on").

The known cheater has been to two straight NCAAs, including a Sweet 16 while IU continues to flounder with zero direction.

Is there any more proof you need that god doesn't exist?

The known cheater has been to two straight NCAAs, including a Sweet 16 while IU continues to flounder with zero direction.

I will say this about him, he is one heck of a basketball coach. That just made his cheating so much more unnecessary.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

I'm hoping that this new GLeague policy of letting professional level high school players go directly to the money will improve the college game. The part I enjoyed about the college game in years of yore wasn't so much the winning as much as it was watching the guys who came in develop individually and as a team (which of course is what led to the winning, from what little I knew). The constant state of flux in the college game with the one-and-dones going here, not going there, playing to their potential, not playing well, etc. precluded that individual and team development, IMO. Maybe the emphasis on individual talents can be passed along to the pros, where it is more appropriately placed and paid for.

That said, with the NCAA opening up likeness revenues for college athletes, I might be tugging on Superman's cape a bit too earnestly here. In any case, I no longer can play the game at all, and that makes me sad and listless when watching the young men play the game any more.

I'm hoping that this new GLeague policy of letting professional level high school players go directly to the money will improve the college game. The part I enjoyed about the college game in years of yore wasn't so much the winning as much as it was watching the guys who came in develop individually and as a team (which of course is what led to the winning, from what little I knew). The constant state of flux in the college game with the one-and-dones going here, not going there, playing to their potential, not playing well, etc. precluded that individual and team development, IMO. Maybe the emphasis on individual talents can be passed along to the pros, where it is more appropriately placed and paid for.

That said, with the NCAA opening up likeness revenues for college athletes, I might be tugging on Superman's cape a bit too earnestly here. In any case, I no longer can play the game at all, and that makes me sad and listless when watching the young men play the game any more.

I always have wanted players to have a minor league to go to. I know some say it ruins the college game by removing talent. But talent isn't why I watch college, if I wanted only to see talent I would watch the NBA.

I am sorta against the likeness revenue for players, I think it is going to finish off the competitiveness issue. There just isn't any way a Bloomington can pretend to compete with an LA. But it is the NCAA's fault for being greedy to begin with. Once they saw the dollar signs it was only a matter of time before everyone else did.

SHHH. The NCAA forgot about that, they might still give us a reduction in scholarships over that to teach North Carolina a lesson for allowing academic fraud.
I once worked with a woman who was a part of the UNC tutoring program, and worked with her when the allegations first surfaced years ago . . . she was shocked - and honestly appeared to be shocked - at the allegations. She said she never participated in or witnessed anything like what the allegations included.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I will say this about him, he is one heck of a basketball coach. That just made his cheating so much more unnecessary.
The irony of it all is what he did is now perfectly legal according to the NCAA. IU's self imposed punishment was way overboard and showed that the administration at that time was out of touch with college athletics and the ramifications it could have on a program and the university.

We now have what I consider a quality coach so hopefully we are back on top of the Big10 sooner than later.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I always have wanted players to have a minor league to go to. I know some say it ruins the college game by removing talent. But talent isn't why I watch college, if I wanted only to see talent I would watch the NBA.

I am sorta against the likeness revenue for players, I think it is going to finish off the competitiveness issue. There just isn't any way a Bloomington can pretend to compete with an LA. But it is the NCAA's fault for being greedy to begin with. Once they saw the dollar signs it was only a matter of time before everyone else did.
I’m not really up to speed on the likeness revenue issue but we are still such a high profile program I have to think it will help us.

Reactions: UncleMark
I’m not really up to speed on the likeness revenue issue but we are still such a high profile program I have to think it will help us.
I suspect not . . . it'll be a marketing enterprise more than a sports enterprise, and the marketing will drive the sports . . .

. . . just look at the offerings on the BTN and you'll see what will drive the programs . . . money.

SAD.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I suspect not . . . it'll be a marketing enterprise more than a sports enterprise, and the marketing will drive the sports . . .

. . . just look at the offerings on the BTN and you'll see what will drive the programs . . . money.

SAD.
That’s a bummer.

Reactions: Sope Creek

SAD.

There are only so many car dealerships in Bloomington to pay to use a player's likeness. In Indy, we have to compete with that other school, as well as Notre Dame ( more so for football where there are many in Central Indiana who are IU basketball and Notre Dame football fans).

Reactions: mcmurtry66
There are only so many car dealerships in Bloomington to pay to use a player's likeness. In Indy, we have to compete with that other school, as well as Notre Dame ( more so for football where there are many in Central Indiana who are IU basketball and Notre Dame football fans).
And only so many Hoosiers that Farm Bureau and State Farm can advertise to.

Indiana lost out when it helped make college basketball a big-time, must see event. And the drive to market basketball to a broader audience, what with the shot clock, three point line and emphasis on individual talent, has screwed up the game that the audience loved . . . .

I like the grow over time approach much more than the "overnight" approach. I like what CAM is doing, he is young and looks like he is building a very strong foundation. His in game coaching is much better than his predecessor.

Maybe, but the results aren't there and he wasn't left with things in nearly as bad of shape as Crean was. At some point, he needs to start winning games. Crean was a terrible (and I cannot emphasize that enough) in-game coach IMO, but he was fantastic at developing players. Our guys got better every year. Few, if any, have improved under CAM.

Part of that may be they aren't his guys, but he still has a lot to prove. He hasn't done anything great, other than run things the right way.

They claim they'll have some standards in place to prevent abuse, but that's laughable. Who is going to tell Charlie Royal he can't pay the next 5-star IU recruit whatever he wants for in-person autograph sessions once he makes it to Bloomington and gets enrolled?

Maybe, but the results aren't there and he wasn't left with things in nearly as bad of shape as Crean was. At some point, he needs to start winning games. Crean was a terrible (and I cannot emphasize that enough) in-game coach IMO, but he was fantastic at developing players. Our guys got better every year. Few, if any, have improved under CAM.

Part of that may be they aren't his guys, but he still has a lot to prove. He hasn't done anything great, other than run things the right way.
I think Al and Justin have both gotten better and I'm still not sure they were IU caliber coming out of high school.

The Sophomore class is still out? Rob has been steady but was hurt, Hunter looks to be moving in the right direction and Race made a huge jump IMO so it is hard to say there is no improvement. I'm not so much sure Crean was "developing" players as much as he was just good at recognizing talent and getting them to IU. If Crean was any coach at all I think we are looking at much deeper runs in the tourney given the talent he had.

I wish we had Buckley as an assistant I believe he was an excellent shooting coach and would have made a big difference in the last two years.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
. . . he wasn't left with things in nearly as bad of shape as Crean was.
Oh, I don't know . . . there's a saying among lawyers to the effect that having a bad client can be worse than no client at all.

I think Crean did considerable damage to IU's basketball culture. Sure, so did Sampson, and to a lesser extent Mike Davis. But Crean whitewashed the grittiness that IU basketball had in favor of all sorts of distractions - emphasizing stuff like like deflections on defense while watching opponents get uncontested layups as a result, watching a 5 start recruit 7 footer get blocked over and over because of a lack of footwork, or watching IU get outrebounded time and again because of a lack of blocking out fundamentals . . .

. . . I don't know whether Archie's the guy to bring us back to relevancy. In some ways the game that IU played has been passed up in favor of a game that idolizes individual talent rather than a collective whole . . . in that sense the current college game reflects today's society . . . but at a cost of fans being subordinated to television and marketing . . . it's a big loss . . . .

Last edited:
The Sophomore class is still out? Rob has been steady but was hurt, Hunter looks to be moving in the right direction and Race made a huge jump IMO so it is hard to say there is no improvement.
All three of those essentially lost an year due to injury. This year will tell us whether or not they are as good as what we'd hoped them to be.

Archie is recruiting top notch kids, has done a good job of balancing the roster, and the team has showed incremental improvement since he started. Yes, I'd like to see more wins sooner, but the progress is there. I'd rather see it take some time getting long term success than ride the roller coaster we had with Crean. RMK didn't win every Big Ten championship, but he won a bunch and was in the hunt for a lot more. If we can get where we're competing for the title regularly and have the occasional deep tourney run, I'll be happy.

God loves football everything else is secondary, made it a twofer (USA/World).

Oh, I don't know . . . there's a saying among lawyers to the effect that having a bad client can be worse than no client at all.

I think Crean did considerable damage to IU's basketball culture. Sure, so did Sampson, and to a lesser extent Mike Davis. But Crean whitewashed the grittiness that IU basketball had in favor of all sorts of distractions - emphasizing stuff like like deflections on defense while watching opponents get uncontested layups as a result, watching a 5 start recruit 7 footer get blocked over and over because of a lack of footwork, or watching IU get outrebounded time and again because of a lack of blocking out fundamentals . . .

. . . I don't know whether Archie's the guy to bring us back to relevancy. In some ways the game that IU played has been passed up in favor of a game that idolizes individual talent rather than a collective whole . . . in that sense the current college game reflects today's society . . . but at a cost of fans being subordinated to television and marketing . . . it's a big loss . . . .
Crean was terrible, as I said before he had an eye for talent but that is where the ship left the dock with him. He had enough talent at IU to make him look really good for a short stint then things caught up to him (ie the talent dipped a bit and he was left looking clueless). Archie is building it the right way from the ground up I think and hope this will be the model for college basketball going forward.

God loves football everything else is secondary, made it a twofer (USA/World).
He must because more cheaters in college football than one can shake a stick at, lol. Also there is zero parity in college football the same 4 teams seem to make it the championship series yearly.

Crean was terrible, as I said before he had an eye for talent but that is where the ship left the dock with him. He had enough talent at IU to make him look really good for a short stint then things caught up to him (ie the talent dipped a bit and he was left looking clueless). Archie is building it the right way from the ground up I think and hope this will be the model for college basketball going forward.

We have improved year over year. What i see is lack of Senior leadership, every year the old guys need to take control of the ship and help the younger guys....that is what Archie is trying to build too. Was Green or Davis gonna be that leader last year? Outside of the top few teams in the country, there really isn't a talent disparity...it comes down to who is ready and who wants it more. I think the best days are yet to come with Archie

I felt bad for Crean. I think he was in over his head, but I think he was a decent guy (weird given that I think his brother-in-laws are not so decent). Crean impressed me as a stand up person when he came to the women's NIT game to cheer them on shortly after being fired. He said he had gotten close to some of those players and wanted to be there for them, Tyra went over and spoke with him. That took a whole lot for him to go back into that building.

But I didn't like his game coaching, and frankly few off of that MSU tree impress me.

But for Miller, I had hope and still do. BUT I look at the teams the last couple years and I'm not seeing improvement. Now part of that is our best point can't stay healthy and that is on no one. But still, looking back at many of the games toward the end of the year (Purdue and Illinois games) and I just wasn't impressed with where we were.

I think Miller can turn it around. But gone are the days I would gladly bet on it.

We have improved year over year. What i see is lack of Senior leadership, every year the old guys need to take control of the ship and help the younger guys....that is what Archie is trying to build too. Was Green or Davis gonna be that leader last year? Outside of the top few teams in the country, there really isn't a talent disparity...it comes down to who is ready and who wants it more. I think the best days are yet to come with Archie

How valuable is senior leadership in an era where most of the best players don't play in college that long?

How valuable is senior leadership in an era where most of the best players don't play in college that long?
Like i said, there are only a handful of teams that can get by on young talent every single year (Duke, Kansas, UK)......after that i think the talent level is pretty equally dispersed. If you are in that second tier, you need upperclassman....e.g. Did Matt Painter forget how to coach this year, or did he ride the backs of his upperclassman the year prior?

He must because more cheaters in college football than one can shake a stick at, lol. Also there is zero parity in college football the same 4 teams seem to make it the championship series yearly.
I no longer watch any sports, better things to do.

I felt bad for Crean. I think he was in over his head, but I think he was a decent guy (weird given that I think his brother-in-laws are not so decent). Crean impressed me as a stand up person when he came to the women's NIT game to cheer them on shortly after being fired. He said he had gotten close to some of those players and wanted to be there for them, Tyra went over and spoke with him. That took a whole lot for him to go back into that building.

But I didn't like his game coaching, and frankly few off of that MSU tree impress me.

But for Miller, I had hope and still do. BUT I look at the teams the last couple years and I'm not seeing improvement. Now part of that is our best point can't stay healthy and that is on no one. But still, looking back at many of the games toward the end of the year (Purdue and Illinois games) and I just wasn't impressed with where we were.

I think Miller can turn it around. But gone are the days I would gladly bet on it.
Purdue at home was a major disappointment, we gave Illinois (missed free throws) away along with a few really bad calls down the stretch that went Illinois way.

Miller to me just looks the part, he stresses the things I think eventually lead to a winning atmosphere and program. I would have been interested to see how the rest of the Big Tourney played out as well as how we would have done in the NCAA but I guess we will never know.

I no longer watch any sports, better things to do.
Great, I still really enjoy a live sporting event or watching on TV. It definitely doesn't make or break me, but it is interesting.

Glad you found avenues to occupy your time.

Reactions: Scott S
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT