ADVERTISEMENT

Where do you draw the line...

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
.... Between tradition/fan support and public decency?

Is this the social cost of athletic success?

I just chalk it up to a giant mass of kids making one of those regrettable decisions many have made, just with the internet around to keep it for posterity.

I'll compare it to the "F**k you Haarms" the student section at Assembly Hall. I don't think it's as bad as what the LSU students are doing there, and at least tangentially related to the game, if not a classy move by any measure. But not a great look for students in any event.

Maybe it compares better to the Purdue thing from the mid- 2000s (I'm not sure if they still do it) where they'd go "1-2-3-4, first down....bitch." Was just trashy for the sake of being trashy. Or for the sake of kids making poor collective decisions.

But as far as social costs, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Vile things have been said at arenas/stadiums since we've had arenas & stadiums. Now we just have recordings of it. Although it probably ups the ante for what's considered "acceptable" for some just because it's out there, can be duplicated, or escalated.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm no prude. Hell, I grew up in a small town pool room. But the bar for public social behavior has been lowered too far even for me. Things I'd say around a poker table, I'd never sing in public.

I miss the days when Knight would grab a mike and tell the students to shut up. That was entertaining.

Even when he was protecting Alford's FT routine.

I just chalk it up to a giant mass of kids making one of those regrettable decisions many have made, just with the internet around to keep it for posterity.

I'll compare it to the "F**k you Haarms" the student section at Assembly Hall. I don't think it's as bad as what the LSU students are doing there, and at least tangentially related to the game, if not a classy move by any measure. But not a great look for students in any event.

Maybe it compares better to the Purdue thing from the mid- 2000s (I'm not sure if they still do it) where they'd go "1-2-3-4, first down....bitch." Was just trashy for the sake of being trashy. Or for the sake of kids making poor collective decisions.

But as far as social costs, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Vile things have been said at arenas/stadiums since we've had arenas & stadiums. Now we just have recordings of it. Although it probably ups the ante for what's considered "acceptable" for some just because it's out there, can be duplicated, or escalated.

Make no mistake, I won't ever defend the IU students chanting FU at Haarms (or when PU did the same to Sheehey) but in those cases at least they were reactionary outbursts as opposed to this planned, organized, scripted low rent BS from LSU.

.... Between tradition/fan support and public decency?
When I saw the thread title I thought I would see this one. Only in NOLO

82868238_10221117666389623_8930972231006158848_n.jpg

Young people doing young people things

Exactly. It’s kids who are about to be full on adults (as in surviving fully on your own) who want to test those freedoms.

When I went to Purdue it was a couple nerds in my frat counting to 4 then yelling first down. Then It became first down ***** ... and to me it just makes me cringe cause they sound like fake tough guys. The IU sucks chant makes me cringe cause it’s little brother complex stuff of the highest magnitude.

But they’re young and I’m not gonna stop them.

This stuff is embraced in the Jerry Springer generation.

A trailer park mentality is actually seen as cool. It may have started with the Kardashians.

Being vulgar is actually an “in thing” these days, sadly.

ADVERTISEMENT