ADVERTISEMENT

Where are YOU playing golf over Memorial Day?

originally when i played it, there was a 9 hole course and an 18 hole championship course.

the original champ course was very nice. (Pete Dye, even though i'm not his biggest fan).

then they made it even better when they put the mound behind original 3 green for a better visual, and pushed the top of the hill down some on 18, so it wasn't a blind tee shot anymore, and you could now see the bottom of the valley from the tee..

for some reason i'll never know, they at some point converted 1 and 10 to all bent grass fairways, but never the other 16 holes of the original champ course design.

then some morans decided to make the complex 36 holes instead of 27, even though they didn't have enough land to do so, so they stole land from the original champ course.

i only played it a couple times after that, as it was ruined for me.

can't recall all they did, but i know they blew up original #5, and ruined the back 9 as well, trying to squeeze more holes into the area than there was area for.

i'm speaking only of the original champ course, as that's all i ever played.

what the current hole number designations are, i know not.

haven't played it in years, as i quit going there after they ruined it.

any changes in the last 10 yrs i wouldn't know of.
Yeah, I know the history.
Like I said, I still play the original champ course fairly often.

the original champ course no longer exists.

what you now play, is what's left of it.
Yes it does.
Those 18 holes still exist. They're on two different courses, but they still exist.
The only modification of any significance that I'm aware of is they shortened #5 by several yards.

2 PM, sycamore.

I expect people to have basic etiquette. When I walked off, I was on 15 tee. I followed the path to my car, and there was no one else on the course.

Remember, it wasnt just them. The guys in my own group would walk out in front of me, etc. On 14 I had a 45 yard pitch, and one of them was up on the green lining up his 5 footer. Like he was in a huge hurry to make his triple bogey so he could get to the next tee and.....wait.

“Play ready golf”

signed, usga

Yes it does.
Those 18 holes still exist. They're on two different courses, but they still exist.
The only modification of any significance that I'm aware of is they shortened #5 by several yards.

a quick visit to Google Earth looks to confirm what you say.

1st one out in the morning, solo, walking, is the best of all scenarios.
I hate playing that early. Wet and buggy as hell, and if you're out that early there's a reason and you're usually rushing. If you're solo and don't have other engagements, far better to sneak out after 3pm. Very few people tee off after 3 on a weekend and the course is dry and it starts to cool off and a sunset on an emptying golf course is awesome. Now, that's not his reality, but it is mine. I've been through the wringer in my personal and work life over the last few years, but I got both kids through college and things are starting to ease and normalize. There's a nice club in my little town that has reasonable rates and is a fun little course. I'm using a membership there as motivation and hoping to reward myself this fall or next year.

originally when i played it, there was a 9 hole course and an 18 hole championship course.

the original champ course was very nice. (Pete Dye, even though i'm not his biggest fan).

then they made it even better when they put the mound behind original 3 green for a better visual, and pushed the top of the hill down some on 18, so it wasn't a blind tee shot anymore, and you could now see the bottom of the valley from the tee..

for some reason i'll never know, they at some point converted 1 and 10 to all bent grass fairways, but never the other 16 holes of the original champ course design.

then some morans decided to make the complex 36 holes instead of 27, even though they didn't have enough land to do so, so they stole land from the original champ course.

i only played it a couple times after that, as it was ruined for me.

can't recall all they did, but i know they blew up original #5, and ruined the back 9 as well, trying to squeeze more holes into the area than there was area for.

i'm speaking only of the original champ course, as that's all i ever played.

what the current hole number designations are, i know not.

haven't played it in years, as i quit going there after they ruined it.

any changes in the last 10 yrs i wouldn't know of.
I'm going to add Fox Prairie to this list. The back 9 (original) was fantastic and would have held up to today. But then they butchered it to move to 27 holes. Really destroyed some nice holes. Sometimes more isn't better.

Wet and buggy as hell

True.

if you're out that early there's a reason and you're usually rushing.

False, no rush. Main reason is to avoid the crowd, and I have the rest of the day to do other things... Play Rested, Work Tired. Tee off before the first time on the tee sheet, and stay a hole behind the greens mowers.

If you're solo and don't have other engagements, far better to sneak out after 3pm. Very few people tee off after 3 on a weekend

False. Rates go down at 3:00, it's a frikken zoo. I like evening golf too, but too many others do as well.

1st one out in the morning, solo, walking, is the best of all scenarios

True.

False, no rush. Main reason is to avoid the crowd, and I have the rest of the day to do other things... Play Rested, Work Tired. Tee off before the first time on the tee sheet, and stay a hole behind the greens mowers.

False. Rates go down at 3:00, it's a frikken zoo. I like evening golf too, but too many others do as well.
Well, all I can tell you is how it is in and around Charlotte, NC, so maybe false where you are, and you're right on certain tracks here if the evening rate is low enough, but I know several courses that are much more relaxed after 3pm. And, again, you play early in the Carolinas and you're going to be a hot, wet, buggy, sweaty mess... but I guess if that's your thing!

Reactions: Brockway
Don't want to start a new thread, but beginning at about 4pm tomorrow afternoon for the weekend I'm going to be in one of my favorite spots in the whole wide world boys: Hot Springs NC. So I'll take a powder this weekend for the most part. Funky fun little town where we stay in little camping cabins (with window AC and a half bath, however). Right on the French Broad River, hiking on the AT, whitewater rafting, hot tubs in natural hot springs, Appalachian mountain balds, trout streams, and plenty of fun funky people usually. There's a new micro-brewery with live music I'm anxious to check out too.

PS. Hot Springs, despite being in the mountains is at a relatively low elevation, around 1600' I think, since it's right on the French Broad River, despite being surrounded by some pretty high peaks. Many people are surprised it's not "mountain cool" in Hot Springs. They have a funny shirt in town that plays off this: "Hot Springs: we're not as high as you think we are!" Always liked that shirt!

65b476900480c5931923133be21e4383.jpg

b2a01e1c5237b2188fe5662db67bab20.jpg

whos-that-girl-from-4e-in-the-state-farm-commercial-11.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT