ADVERTISEMENT

Where are our three returning guards positioned for next year?

Nov 4, 2019
With the likelihood of Kristian Lander arriving in June, how does the playing time and situations change for 2020 / 2021 front court?
What has happened to Armaan Franklin's development?

Possibly sitting behind the 3 incoming freshmen guards who can shoot.
I could see Lander starting with Phinisee, Galloway, or Leal.

With the likelihood of Kristian Lander arriving in June, how does the playing time and situations change for 2020 / 2021 front court?
Let them compete and the most consistent performers will see the most time. Gotta believe Phinisee will see significant minutes, even allowing for Lander, as he will take time to adjust to the college game. Especially from a physical standpoint.

Reactions: hoosierraven
Just guessing, as we have no clue how any of the freshman will acclimate to the IU program.

Lander, Phinisee, and Durham will get the most minutes in the back court. Franklin and Leal will see less time.

Galloway will be more of a versatile wing player in college. Better ball handling Will Sheehee type. I think he’ll get some minutes because Archie will like his toughness and overall solid play.

Our strength will be TJD, Race, Hunter and Smith.

If Lander is as good as his 5 star rating says. He takes this team from Bubble to sweet 16 level.

Any guards transfer?

??? Posted the other day that there are way too many variables there to make that call. There’s an average of 2 transfers a year for all teams though. So it’s obviously a possibility.

If everyone knows Lander is a stud...maybe one of the current guys leaves? No clue who though.

I really think you just can't help yourself, can you? Again, every recruit in your eyes is great and is the fix. Remember who you said that about last year? Franklin. Pump the brakes for once in your fanlife! I hope 1 of these guys can shoot next year, but it's far from a sure thing, and I don't think either of them have an appreciably higher 3pt % than Franklin did in HS. It's far easier for these guys to get good looks in HS because defenders have to lay off them a bit. Won't be so easy next year with better defenders and a longer 3pt line, just as Franklin discovered. I'd say it's as likely that Franklin takes what he knows and improves. The chances both Leal and Galloway will be knock down shooters next year is remote.

Reactions: minneman
I haven’t watched much of Leal, but don’t count on Galloway helping our shooting woes.

Do players that enter college a year early ever thrive their freshmen season? I have no idea, but at this point I would expect Lander to be a bench player for at least the first half of the season.

Reactions: darkhawk returns
Franklin is a freshman who never was going to be one and done playing against very good veterans. That is "what happened to his development". Green gives us much more of a scoring threat who has been playing defense lately and putting in the effort. Obviously, Al and Rob are ahead of a talented but inexperienced freshman (who does make a lot of "freshman" mistakes). If you are trying to say Franklin won't develop because he doesn't play much at the end of his freshman year, that's not really how it works. There will be a lot of options at guard, next year. How bout we let things play out? If anyone doesn't have a spot on the team, I'd say it's a 6'7 SG who can't shoot and struggles to defend at this level....

Leal is a pure gym rat. I see him at the Y almost every single day (unless they have a game). Kid will add so much to the culture of the program. Galloway has been playing with a broken wrist on his shooting hand. So, I'd give him a little bit of a pass on shooting, this year....

I haven’t watched much of Leal, but don’t count on Galloway helping our shooting woes.

Rob is key next season. I still believe he is not fully recovered from his injury before the season. Get him back on track on both ends and you have a great leader. He needs a reliable jumper; be even better on D; and a willingness to take over games. If not, he's going to be watching a lot of basketball.

Lander makes the team better on offense just with his quickness, speed and ability to handle the ball. He makes others better with his passing and playmaking ability. Being able to play point with Rob means Al doesn't have to do it and that makes them a better offense.

Franklin has a chance to make a huge jump. Physically he may be the best option to be a shutdown defender and have the ability to drive the lane. I'm excited to see how he develops from Fresh to Soph.

I'm hopeful Leal and Galloway bring intangibles to the team sorely lacking today. An understanding of how to impact a game in ways other than scoring. In other words, they can be the anti-DG. That's not asking too much.

My guess is both may struggle to defend at this level early and won't be able to get their own shot. That's where Lander and a better Rob come into play by driving and getting them open shots. If nothing else, they can spot up and open the floor for Lander and TJD to work their two-man game and do enough to force the defense to guard them.

No, I think their position will be at guard or wing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT