ADVERTISEMENT

Where’s Sampson James?

I didn't see until after the game that he WAS ON the inactive list posted before the game. As I was watching the game (without knowing that) I was wondering if for some reason he is in Hart's doghouse, and then seeing Baldwin running like he was (and I am very impressed by him) if we may see James consider the portal again after the season. I hope not and have seen him make some good runs this year, so hope he can still get his opportunity, like he did last year vs. Purdue.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I didn't see until after the game that he WAS ON the inactive list posted before the game. As I was watching the game (without knowing that) I was wondering if for some reason he is in Hart's doghouse, and then seeing Baldwin running like he was (and I am very impressed by him) if we may see James consider the portal again after the season. I hope not and have seen him make some good runs this year, so hope he can still get his opportunity, like he did last year vs. Purdue.

We need both he and Baldwin. Thunder and Lightning type of duo... They each present a nice change of pace from the other...

Reactions: vesuvius13
I know Stevie Scott seems to want to play on Sunday's and "may" test the waters after this season. Scott has shown he has a good nose for the end zone, he is damn big and has really picked up on his pass blocking. I question his actual speed but think he could still go pro to try and see if he can give it a go.

If so, agree James should get a great bit of run next year. But Baldwin is a real deal player so it would seem, and think we can all be excited about his future potential to improve IU's run game ahead!

I would be interested in seeing a stat on how many times Stevie Scott is stopped for no gain.

Yes, next season we need Sampson 1A, Baldwin 1B. Scott is a good back but those guys have that something extra.

Reactions: 76-1
The thing I like about Baldwin is he appears to be able to run inside and outside, and he sees the hole quickly and commits to it. He keeps his feet moving and doesn't dance or hesitate. One cut and gone.

Baldwin showed us something the first game he got in for limited snaps but broke a few runs. He solidified his talent potential yesterday going for over 100 yards with about shared snaps with Scott. This guy appears to be serious B10 level talent.

Scott may try pro after this year but his top end speed is poor. I do not anticipate anything other than a very late draft pick.

Inactive.
With no other information given, I'm going to speculate he wants to transfer to a school where he is the featured back. He would see Baldwin and Ellis in practice and get a sense that his shot as #1 is in jeopardy. A program would list him as inactive and separate him from team activities if he is leaving. It protects both parties.

If your OL can't run block, it doesn't matter who your RB is.

If your OL can run block, it doesn't matter who your RB is.

THAT is the football reality in these days of gunslinging, dual-threat QB's and 5-wide offensive schemes.

With no other information given, I'm going to speculate he wants to transfer to a school where he is the featured back. He would see Baldwin and Ellis in practice and get a sense that his shot as #1 is in jeopardy. A program would list him as inactive and separate him from team activities if he is leaving. It protects both parties.

Sampson should be back for Wisconsin.

I would be interested in seeing a stat on how many times Stevie Scott is stopped for no gain.

PSU
Scott was 20 for 57 net yards
James was 1 for 4
Scott had 2 losses - a -4 and a -5

Rutgers
Scott 21 - 81
James 7-33
Scott has a -1, a -1, a 0, a -2 and a -2.

Michigan
Scott 24-97; one -1
James 8-26; a -1 and a -2

MSU
Scott 23-84; 3 "no gains"
James 10-22; a no gain, a -1 and a -2
Baldwin 3-18

OSU
Scott 7-6; 2 no gains and a -1
James 3-10; one -1
Ellis 1-2

Maryland
Scott 24-80; a -2, a -1, a -1, a no gain and a -4.
Baldwin 16-106; 4 no gains
Ellis 5-21

I suspect James DNP yesterday due to super-secret HIPPA Covid skip-tracing reasons, so I think he'll be back.

I could be wrong.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Scott may try pro after this year but his top end speed is poor. I do not anticipate anything other than a very late draft pick.
Remember, in today's NFL, running backs aren't highly valued or Compensated. This year Jonathan Taylor was taken by the Colts in the second Round at about the 45th overall pick, and I believe only one or two backs were drafted ahead of him. Teams figure that Due to injuries and wear and tear, running backs have a short shelf life and productivity falls off quickly. In addition, there are too many situations where teams have found productive backs in Free Agency, without paying high draft choice money.
He could be a 5th round Draft Choice and be only the 7th or 8th Back taken in the Draft.

I read something on facebook ( so it has to be true) that something happened to one of his brothers - it was a "go fund me" page. Maybe it was a family issue that he wasn't active...just speculation.

Wish people wouldn’t speculate on transferring unless they know definitively as it’s not fair to him or his reputation, especially since someone else said it could be a family matter. Let’s let him & IU take care of communication when it’s the right time.

He has looked good at times and wish he had more attempts as I think he could have done damage too against MD.

FYI I have heard from local sources this was 100% family related issue why he missed this last game vs MD. I don’t want to go into details other than to say it was a VERY legit reason, and again suggest people not post transfer speculation if one does not know any facts. Highly unfair and irresponsible! Let’s give S. James the space needed!

100% guess, irresponsible and incorrect! See my update in this thread. Suggest not speculating about a college kid’s life without more info. He had a very good reason for missing Saturday that had NOTHING to do with portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT