ADVERTISEMENT

When will US students start applying to Chinese universities?

This is silly.

China has 4 of the top 100. The U.S. has 41.

Heck, the Big Ten has twice as many schools in the top 100 (8) as China.

The only thing surprising about China having more schools than the U.S. in the top 2000 is that this is the first year it's happened. It's simply a numbers game. China has a lot more people than the U.S., and more universities. Heck, there are more than 90 universities in Beijing alone. By the time you get to the nos. 1500+ in the rankings you're talking about schools like Appalachian State (#1,636), Univ. of South Dakota (#1,561), Wright State (#1,542), etc.

Check this out:

Indiana is 55th in the U.S., and #152 globally.

The 54th ranked school in China is #540 globally - tied with Northern Arizona University

This is silly.

The only thing surprising about China having more schools than the U.S. in the top 2000 is that this is the first year it's happened. It's simply a numbers game. China has a lot more people than the U.S., and more universities. Heck, there are more than 90 universities in Beijing alone. By the time you get to the nos. 1500+ in the rankings you're talking about schools like Appalachian State (#1,636), Univ. of South Dakota (#1,561), Wright State (#1,542), etc.

Check this out:

The 54th ranked school in China is #540 globally - tied with Northern Arizona University
Fair ponts. But don't you think this is a trend--Chinese universities getting better as compared to the U.S.--that might continue or maybe accelerate?

Fair ponts. But don't you think this is a trend--Chinese universities getting better as compared to the U.S.--that might continue or maybe accelerate?
If we consider learning a central characteristic of a dominant culture, then yes, I am concerned. That center has moved a lot in history but does seem to end up wherever that dominant culture/system resides.

In ping pong
In ding dang.

9e801f5c-6fbc-4152-ab94-d3ccb42a8593_screenshot.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Why is that a stereotype, anyway? Anyone know the history behind that? Other than Forrest Gump?
It reminds me of a line from, I think, the legendary movie Gung-Ho with Michael Keaton. When asked why Asians were better at building electronics and cars, he said it was b/c they were shorter and closer to the assembly line.

Chalk that up as another movie which couldn't be made today.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
It reminds me of a line from, I think, the legendary movie Gung-Ho with Michael Keaton. When asked why Asians were better at building electronics and cars, he said it was b/c they were shorter and closer to the assembly line.

Chalk that up as another movie which couldn't be made today.
Yao Ming likes this post . . . .

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
They made up a little bit of ground, but are still way behind.

Think about this: almost 70% of the 338 ranked Chinese schools are #1000 and below, and over 40% are in the bottom 500. Illinois State is #1,535.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
They made up a little bit of ground, but are still way behind.

Think about this: almost 70% of the 338 ranked Chinese schools are #1000 and below, and over 40% are in the bottom 500. Illinois State is #1,535.
So now the question shifts to how are these schools ranked?

Are the top Chinese students in foreign universities so that these Chineses ones are grading the bottom of the barrel of Chinese college students grading by test scores/grades?

Are the top Chinese students in foreign universities so that these Chineses ones are grading the bottom of the barrel of Chinese college students grading by test scores/grades?
I don't think top colleges are graded that way at all. But, yeah, my question was: are the criteria here for ranking ones that we should be focused on for the purpose of the value those colleges bring to American students?

Probably ranked by the quality of their English classes.

They do not grade universities globally based on test scores. It's not even a factor they look at. Go back to your link and you can read how they rankings work.

Thanks for linking. The metrics are almost exclusively around research, so not necessarily screaming best options for undergraduate students.
Doesn't look to have any bearing whatsoever on undergrads.

I could even see them manipulating the numbers by requiring each Chinese university profs to cite other Chinese university profs in their own papers.

Doesn't look to have any bearing whatsoever on undergrads.

I could even see them manipulating the numbers by requiring each Chinese university profs to cite other Chinese university profs in their own papers.
Well that metric is certainly self-sustaining for a country like China - especially given the language difference.

An apt comparison is patent filings. This headline below would probably alarm most people :

However, a lot of those Chinese patent filings are junk, stemming in part from Chinese government tax incentives and outright subsidies to Chinese companies just for filing foreign patent applications - regardless of whether the patents are ever granted. Thankfully, they're putting an end to some of that:

They also were doing the same thing for foreign trademarks, and it nearly broke the U.S. Trademark Office. It used to take 2-3 months after you filed before you heard back. Currently, it's 9-10 months, primarily due to all the bogus trademark applications filed by Chinese companies - often for nonsense marks made up of a random sequence of 4-7 letters. In a 5 second search I just found one for the mark JSDNKJA. It's infuriating.

When I do patent searches, I rarely see anything of significant interest in Chinese patents (and the search tools I use have decent translations of all Chinese patents from the last 10 years or so) and few US or PCT (international) patent applications by Chinese applicants that are of relevance or cutting edge. I would say that 80% of the stuff of interest are U.S. patents and published patent applications (though to be fair, many of those do originate elsewhere, particularly Europe). Cutting edge stuff does not typically come out of China, at least in the fields I tend to search (lots of medical and pharmaceutical). Yes, Chinese applicants are the #1 patent filer in the U.S., but the majority of it is not worth a crap.

One wonders if they are doing similar things with all these Chinese universities ranked in the 1000-2000 range.

Do these Chinese schools have sports schollies?

Yes they do. But I suspect it's a bit too late for a feckin' 6ft 3 winger on a football scollie. A midaged one at that.but maybe you can tweak your passport and change your age.
Would be worth your while if you are undergoing a midlife crisis and suffering from yellow fever.

If this is a serious thread then you would get rid of the chest beating.
It's an up & coming global power. It's always worth learning from your competitors, like in business. A simple SWOT is at minimum what most people do in management.
Arrogance and lacking self awareness are always the downfall of most once dominant organisations as I have witnessed.

Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure.

So the real question is what are you contributing to the success? And I don't include chest beating and hand to heart for the flag moments?

May not agree with folks like Rangers views and aloha but they have made sacrifices for the nation.... Ok aloha less so since he is sitting far away from danger in his chushy chair..

But seriously...

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHoops
One area of study alone, Chinese Language, would be one principal area where it might make sense to go study in China. A dedicated US citizen has plenty of opportunities to excel in the US.

This is silly.

Check this out:

OT: Big week for Purdue basketball and football. Must have been fun for you, Noodle!

What do you think the odds are in 100 years?

I'm sure there will be more global balance, but the smart money is fading China and going long India.

Hard to see the best of those countries not coming to the U.S. for college for the foreseeable future. The key is, let's retain these talented people and stop sending them back.

ADVERTISEMENT