MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
One minute into the second quarter.
We’re 4th and 1 at their 10.
Up 7-0.
They have gone 3 and out 4 straight times.
We have run the ball 14 times for 79 yards.
Only the very first run of the game did not go for at least 1 yard.
They have jumped offsides or had a false start 4 times.
They are shook, in disarray, and we are winning the trenches.
Our OL is playing their best of the year.

All we need to do is line up and play.
Maybe Penix makes them jump again.
Maybe we just get the yard because we are pushing them around.

Nope.
We go “cute”
We try and “trick” a team we are abusing.
Quick snap, which deprives us our best set and push.

The FIRST time all day ANYTHING went right for Cincy was a gift from us trying be smart instead of strong.

Instead of 14-0, they get the ball as a gift.

Why?

Not only was it completely unnecessary, it was NOT a good football decision based on the actual game circumstance. It was a coaching mistake - going “tricky surprise” when everybody in the gym knew we could get the yard because we were holding them by the throat and kicking them in their ass.

We THOUGHT poorly.

Know what they call coaches who take responsibility for mistakes?
Mistake makers.

Victory favors the team that makes the fewest mistakes.
Lets do that.

Up 7-0.

Nope.
We go “cute”

The FIRST time all day ANYTHING went right for Cincy was a gift from us trying be smart instead of strong.

Why?

Not only was it completely unnecessary, it was NOT a good football decision based on the actual game circumstance. It was a coaching mistake - going “tricky surprise” when everybody in the gym knew we could get the yard because we were holding them by the throat and kicking them in their ass.

We THOUGHT poorly.

Mistake makers.

Lets do that.

And we have a good FG kicker too.

It was a goofy call because of Penix's injury history and you have to wonder just how strong his leg drive is?? There were a dozen other plays to dial up in that situation.

Our mental toughness is not where it needs to be. Beat Western Kentucky and then on to Penn St. I hope Auburn splatters that bunch. Lol

I don’t mind going for it but the play call was atrocious needing a long yard. If Sheridan called the play that’s the only bad call I think he made the entire game. I’d like to think he/they didn’t realize we needed over a yard there. That was a head scratcher.

The snap was fumbled and by the time he gathered it up it wasn’t going to happen. We convert that 9 out of ten times we run it.
The Penix experiment is over. Time to scrap that and prepare for the future with the other two guys. He’s out of control back there. Doesn’t know when to throw the ball away Killed us today. The athletic ability doesn’t mean crap if you aren’t a field general. Players want a guy who is in control of the game and when you have a guy back there that is mentally frazzled, your offense loses any guidance. A loss next week and we’ll know the wheels have officially come off.

I think about 90% of coaches in America would do the exact same thing by calling a quarterback sneak not retreating 2-3 yards to hand it off to try to get one yard. Especially when you know basically the entire defense is playing downhill. Also they would go on a quick count to try to catch them off guard. I don’t think that many would have necessarily gone for it instead of taking almost a sure thing in points. However like people have said we were controlling the los at that point so maybe a higher percentage would have gone for it too. Hindsight is always 100% if we had gotten and gone on and scored very few would question it. As far as being cute that would have been faking the run and throwing into the end zone.

Watching it at the game my reaction was that It was a good concept but Cinci sniffed it out and we just went with it anyway instead of running something else.

3rd and 4 came after a TO and we ran a play that went for 3, then immediately put everyone on the line for the sneak, and I’m thinking “we’ll get this!” but then Cinci immediately piled everybody on the line as well, and I thought “well shoot they’re all over it, better call a TO!” It felt like a busted play once we didn’t get it snapped before they were set.

Last edited:
I think about 90% of coaches in America would do the exact same thing by calling a quarterback sneak not retreating 2-3 yards to hand it off to try to get one yard. Especially when you know basically the entire defense is playing downhill. Also they would go on a quick count to try to catch them off guard. I don’t think that many would have necessarily gone for it instead of taking almost a sure thing in points. However like people have said we were controlling the los at that point so maybe a higher percentage would have gone for it too. Hindsight is always 100% if we had gotten and gone on and scored very few would question it. As far as being cute that would have been faking the run and throwing into the end zone.
I’d always go for the points

especially when I’ve not let the opponent do anything but 3 and out so far

and even if I see I can get it, I just line up and play it normal

but quick snap is my last option

Coach complained about 3 trips into the red zone without points - so take the points

The three times in the red zone with no points was a disaster and something the team avoided last season. IU still has no established part of the game to hang their hat on which is required when playing top teams. IU needs to have a part of the offense they can count on if the offense is to be a constant threat.

Just look at Fresno and how much they scored on Oregon an beating UCLA scoring 40 points that the teams before couldn't score that much on UCLA. DeBoer knows more than Sheridan.

Last edited:

Coach complained about 3 trips into the red zone without points - so take the points
I've always felt it's important to get points the first time you're in position to do so, so kick the FG.

While I like being aggressive and going for it on 4th (and we were dominating the line), I thought we should have taken the FG and gone up 2 scores. Next time in that spot up 10, then go for it instead of kicking a FG and being up 13. I know it was early, but I think being up 2 scores is important in that spot.

While I like being aggressive and going for it on 4th (and we were dominating the line), I thought we should have taken the FG and gone up 2 scores. Next time in that spot up 10, then go for it instead of kicking a FG and being up 13. I know it was early, but I think being up 2 scores is important in that spot.
That's a good point. I didn't mind seeing us go for it there, but I hate the attempt at hurryup. As was pointed out earlier, if you are confident enough to go for it, be confident enough to get lined up correctly and get to your play. False starts, bad snap handling, and other mistakes increase drastically when you don't take the time to get set.

Good teams go for the throat and make the first down. We are not a good team.

That's a good point. I didn't mind seeing us go for it there, but I hate the attempt at hurryup. As was pointed out earlier, if you are confident enough to go for it, be confident enough to get lined up correctly and get to your play. False starts, bad snap handling, and other mistakes increase drastically when you don't take the time to get set.
I as a former offensive lineman always wanted to go on a quick count hated being in try stance.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The snap was fumbled and by the time he gathered it up it wasn’t going to happen. We convert that 9 out of ten times we run it.
Penix is not used to taking the snap under center.

Just hand the damn ball off to a running back. It was working up to that point.

The Center was stood up. Didn't matter if the snap was fumbled or not.

Penix tried to run behind the Center and got stuffed.

The Center was stood up. Didn't matter if the snap was fumbled or not.

Penix tried to run behind the Center and got stuffed.
our offensive line just hasn't measured up. whether that be talent or coaching or both. cta needs to get involved and put the hammer down. after the iowa game he said the oline needs to be fixed. when's that going to be done? hopefully before I69 is completed.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Up 7-0.

Nope.
We go “cute”

Why?

We THOUGHT poorly.

Mistake makers.

Lets do that.
Make sure Tom Allen sees this. Make him read it right before he's turns out the light to go to bed tonight. Give him something to think about. Trick plays are a sign of desperation in knowledge of the weakened state. It was the wrong call in a field filled with many right. Tom needs horse whipped such that it never happens again. IU fans will not put up with a 1-3 record in this season or Allen will pay for it like never before. Hell hath no fury like Hoosier Nation scorned.

Make sure Tom Allen sees this. Make him read it right before he's turns out the light to go to bed tonight. Give him something to think about. Trick plays are a sign of desperation in knowledge of the weakened state. It was the wrong call in a field filled with many right. Tom needs horse whipped such that it never happens again. IU fans will not put up with a 1-3 record in this season or Allen will pay for it like never before. Hell hath no fury like Hoosier Nation scorned.
He'll laugh all the way to the bank.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT