ADVERTISEMENT

When Alan Cranston Took on Hitler and Lost

hootch1

All-Big Ten
Apr 3, 2007
I don't know why the Trump attacks on McCain reminded me about this story other than McCain and Alan Cranston were both involved in the Keating five. When I leaned of this,well be fore that scandal, I had an opportunity to talk to him about the case.

Hitler published a revised Mein Kampf in the US in a modified format excluding parts about taking over the world. The book sales made Hitler wealthy.

Cranston was an international journalist at the time at the time, but was looking into going into politics. He moved back to the US.

"I wrote this, dictated it (from Hitler's German text) in about eight days, to a battery of secretaries in a loft in Manhattan," recalled Cranston.

Transcriptionists' Alarm

"One of these secretaries (a young Jewish woman) apparently thought, 'My God, what am I mixed up in?' . . . . She went to the Anti-Defamation League (of B'nai B'rith)" and Benjamin R. Epstein, later to direct the ADL for 30 years, soon was poking around the loft, asking questions.

"I was shocked," Epstein said, that Spiro, also Jewish, was involved in publicizing Hitler.

Then Epstein met Cranston. "Once I realized he was really on our side," he said, "I opened our files and we worked very closely together" to produce the full text. They started their own company, Noram Publishing Co. Inc., to market the book.

Houghton Mifflin held the copyright for Mein Kampf. They sued Cranston and a couple of other groups that published unauthorized their versions of the book.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-02-14/news/mn-42699_1_mein-kampf

ADVERTISEMENT