ADVERTISEMENT

What's up with Curtis Jones?

Bippy

Junior
Jan 20, 2002
Does he stay or does he go?

The_Clash1.jpg

Reactions: reabhnt
I think that depends on the conversation that Curtis has with coach Miller. There are several spots opening up, and Curtis should have plenty of opportunity to earn more playing time.

I would hope that Curtis can stay and develop to be part of the guard rotation. IU may be really thin at guard next year if both JBJ and RoJo move on. I feel fairly confident that DG and JN will be back. Curtis would be a natural choice for the 3rd guard if he fits into coach Miller's style of play.

Reactions: iu60
Curtis Jones should be able to improve his shooting greatly in CAM's system. I really like Curtis Jones potential as an IU player.

Reactions: pdtkkg
I think that depends on the conversation that Curtis has with coach Miller. There are several spots opening up, and Curtis should have plenty of opportunity to earn more playing time.

I would hope that Curtis can stay and develop to be part of the guard rotation. IU may be really thin at guard next year if both JBJ and RoJo move on. I feel fairly confident that DG and JN will be back. Curtis would be a natural choice for the 3rd guard if he fits into coach Miller's style of play.
Why would Rojo leave?

As I recall, Jones played very well in our win over UNC last fall.

Also note that Newkirk has already announced he's coming back and that may tell you how well informed the poster is.
I claim to have no information at all. Newkirk saying he is returning is the sole reason I have some confidence that he will.

Regarding questioning if RoJo comes back: He put his name in the draft so he is open to other options. I have no knowledge of this, but if he graduates before next Fall could he transfer to another school for his last year? Sometimes when your friends are leaving it is tougher to stay around than try something new. Example being Remy Abel when Cody and Vic left he mentioned those were his best friends and he was ready to move closer to home since they were no longer at IU. Again I am making no claims other than RoJo put his name in the draft and therefore is looking at at least one other option than returning to IU.

Where is the rumor that he is debating on leaving? Was it because Miller didn't mention him in a conference?

Not just no mention in the presser, but he's been left out of all the "conversations by the talking heads". I have no reason to think he'd leave or that he is fundamentally unhappy, but the silence borders on deafening.
And it will be a bit crowded in the backcourt as it appears JBJ and RoJo will be back.

I claim to have no information at all. Newkirk saying he is returning is the sole reason I have some confidence that he will.

Regarding questioning if RoJo comes back: He put his name in the draft so he is open to other options. I have no knowledge of this, but if he graduates before next Fall could he transfer to another school for his last year? Sometimes when your friends are leaving it is tougher to stay around than try something new. Example being Remy Abel when Cody and Vic left he mentioned those were his best friends and he was ready to move closer to home since they were no longer at IU. Again I am making no claims other than RoJo put his name in the draft and therefore is looking at at least one other option than returning to IU.
I seem to remember RoJo's dad saying he would be back to IU. That was before the announcement he would check out the draft. If his dad was correct, it would seem his choices are down to the NBA or IU. The delay the NBA decision would have some effect on announcing and finding a college to play his final year.

I seem to remember RoJo's dad saying he would be back to IU. That was before the announcement he would check out the draft. If his dad was correct, it would seem his choices are down to the NBA or IU. The delay the NBA decision would have some effect on announcing and finding a college to play his final year.
I had forgotten about that comment from his father. Let's hope you are correct.

Robert Johnson regressed horribly last season poor shooting, poor decision making, bad passing, poor defensively. With everyone back Johnson is not a starting guard any longer. Green and Jones have far more long term potential. Newkirk and Johnson showed me nothing last year that says that either will be better this season. To me they should not in the long term plans for IU and may be the weakest of the returning guards. Al Durham is long and athletic and can play Defense. If Newkirk can cut down on his turnovers and shoot nothing but layups and drives, he can be a benefit as a 5th year Senior PG. Johnson could also, but his decision making, turnovers, and shooting were awful last year for an upperclassman. Johnson really struggled during the B1G season, something must have been wrong with him.

Robert Johnson regressed horribly last season poor shooting, poor decision making, bad passing, poor defensively. With everyone back Johnson is not a starting guard any longer. Green and Jones have far more long term potential. Newkirk and Johnson showed me nothing last year that says that either will be better this season. To me they should not in the long term plans for IU and may be the weakest of the returning guards. Al Durham is long and athletic and can play Defense. If Newkirk can cut down on his turnovers and shoot nothing but layups and drives, he can be a benefit as a 5th year Senior PG. Johnson could also, but his decision making, turnovers, and shooting were awful last year for an upperclassman. Johnson really struggled during the B1G season, something must have been wrong with him.
totally disagree because both Newkirk and Johnson will be the starting guards. Newkirk played very well the last half of the season. Johnson started off last year very well but slumped the last half of the season.

ROJO would have to take the heaviest summer class load I have seen to graduate before next fall so that is not really an option.

More experience does not always mean better players. They may start and then go to the bench if they continue to make poor decisions with the ball. Newkirk and Johnson turn the ball over, and were both dared to shoot at the end of last season by the defense and then shot bricks. End of last season was a total collapse with these 2 handling the ball.. I would prefer IU goes in a new direction. Newkirk actually played better at the end of the season where at the beginning he was a turnover machine with no scoring , where Johnson just seemed to lose all confidence in his ability and slumped horribly at the end of the season when JBJ was injured and Johnson was forced to play more minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fus
I look forward to watching our guards impove their games given opportunities to grow under CAM and staff. I expect the fresh perspective to be a positive for many of us....

I agree. I look forward to watching all of the IU guards improve next season under CAM and his staff.

There was something wrong with him: not going to name any names, but it rhymes with Crom Teen.

Reactions: mazz and birdforpar
There was something wrong with him: not going to name any names, but it rhymes with Crom Teen.

I think it was someone else connected with the program, enabled by the not-named person you referred to.

I'll honor your ethos of not naming names. ;)

Reactions: mazz
Sooo..our 2nd leading scorer won't come back because he won't start?

I think Johnson will start, but may depend on if JBJ returns. I think there will likely be more traditional starting lineups consisting of 2 guards and a possible wing playing as a Small forward. Hopefully Johnson returns to his good play from earlier in his career. He played so uncharacteristically poor at the end of the season I thought he might be injured or having off court distractions that affected his play. I hope he bounces back to his pre-2017 form. But I think Green and Jones have equal if not more long term potential, so I hope they get more time to play and improve this season as Sophomores.

He will come back and likely start, but there is depth now at guard.

Reactions: Fus
It seemed like the whole team regressed. I can't think of one guy who got better during the year. Perhaps Davis is a candidate,but he didn't play as much earlier in the season. That NIT game was meh. I was actually glad the season was over and I am a huge IU fan.

totally disagree because both Newkirk and Johnson will be the starting guards. Newkirk played very well the last half of the season. Johnson started off last year very well but slumped the last half of the season.

totally disagree because both Newkirk and Johnson will be the starting guards.-Period

Ufo you didn't notice Newkirk carrying entire team,staff,and basically iu basketball name on his shoulders the end of past season?

Players as good of shooters as Rojo aren't going to suddenly stop shooting well forever. Both players will make for a really quick seasoned/chemistry made backcourt together under a competent coach...

Really hope Iu fans favorites Green & Mcswain impress me long before the duke fans persistence of insisting duke would be great last year. ..Lord knows how long that took (Nov-March) and now im still here waiting on Green and Mcswain like its almost 2018.
Hope they show me otherwise

Newkirk played awful 1st half, much better 2nd half, but still committed unforced turnovers. Johnson started decent but finished horribly, lacking confidence in his,shot and decision making. Newkirk showed more promise than Johnson at the end of the season. I have rarely seen a solid player in the past like Johnson just lose it in all phases of the game as he did at the end of last season. Hopefully it will be remedied in the off season, but I have more confidence in JBJ playing a full season next year than Johnson returning to his past form. I hope I am wrong. I still think Green and CuJo have more potential and upside than Newkirk and Johnson. JBJ is the best guard on the IU roster, if he returns healthy he could be one of the B1G leading scorers. Guards handle the ball the most and IU under Crean last year was one of the worst D1 Teams in the country in turnover percentage, primarily with Newkirk and Johnson handling the ball when JBJ was injured. Newkirk and Johnson have to cut down on turnovers and shoot the ball more consistently than last season or they will sit. Big names will sit under Archie. This is not Crean's predetermined substitution patterns and preferential treatment to uppclassmen any longer. You play well, and you play hard, or you will sit.

Last edited:
Newkirk played awful 1st half, much better 2nd half, but still committed unforced turnovers. Johnson started decent but finished horribly, lacking confidence in his,shot and decision making. Grade. Newkirk showed more promise than Johnson at the end of the season. I still think Green and CuJo have more potential and upside than Newkirk and Johnson. Guards handle the ball the most and IU under Crean last year one of the worst D1 Teams in the country in turnovers, primarily with Newkirk and Johnson handling the ball when JBJ was injured. Newkirk and Johnson have to cut down on turnovers and shoot the ball more consistently than last season or they will sit. Big names will sit under Archie. This is not Crean's predetermined substitution patterns and preferential treatment to uppclassmen any longer. You play well abd hard or you will sit.

i'm chalking much of it up to the fellas being crean fried. the cogs stalled when the wizard's machine finally broke down for good. we'll learn more about our team in the first two months of next season than we did all of last.

Newkirk played awful 1st half, much better 2nd half, but still committed unforced turnovers. Johnson started decent but finished horribly, lacking confidence in his,shot and decision making. Newkirk showed more promise than Johnson at the end of the season. I have rarely seen a solid player in the past like Johnson just lose it in all phases of the game as he did at the end of last season. Hopefully it will be remedied in the off season, but I have more confidence in JBJ playing a full season next year than Johnson returning to his past form. I hope I am wrong. I still think Green and CuJo have more potential and upside than Newkirk and Johnson. JBJ is the best guard on the IU roster, if he returns healthy he could be one of the B1G leading scorers. Guards handle the ball the most and IU under Crean last year was one of the worst D1 Teams in the country in turnover percentage, primarily with Newkirk and Johnson handling the ball when JBJ was injured. Newkirk and Johnson have to cut down on turnovers and shoot the ball more consistently than last season or they will sit. Big names will sit under Archie. This is not Crean's predetermined substitution patterns and preferential treatment to uppclassmen any longer. You play well, and you play hard, or you will sit.
Players that don't take care of the ball or play defense don't stay on the court long for Archie. I watched his teams here in Dayton the last few years and they play hard and they play sound. We're going to like Archie's teams at IU.

Reactions: 76-1
Players that don't take care of the ball or play defense don't stay on the court long for Archie. I watched his teams here in Dayton the last few years and they play hard and they play sound. We're going to like Archie's teams at IU.
I'm glad to hear someone familiar with Dayton and CAM say that. For the past few years, I have wondered how another coach would have taken our McDonald All American and other highly regarded players and made a team that was better than the individual parts.

I am so excited to have a coach that values the ball and understands that hard work isn't measured by deflections and how quick you get a shot off.

I'm glad to hear someone familiar with Dayton and CAM say that. For the past few years, I have wondered how another coach would have taken our McDonald All American and other highly regarded players and made a team that was better than the individual parts.

I am so excited to have a coach that values the ball and understands that hard work isn't measured by deflections and how quick you get a shot off.

Not kidding when i say a few guys on this board probably could have coached these kids to greater heights. take away the public speaking and the recruiting.....and there is no doubt in my mind. dude traded offense for defense and shots for ball control like he was a wholesaler.

my theory was always that Crean built his strategy around the way rules have changed to favor offense. he was merely 25 years ahead of his time...

Not kidding when i say a few guys on this board probably could have coached these kids to greater heights.

But alas, you are. I'll wager there aren't half a dozen posters here who have the least inkling about what it really takes to coach D-1 in the B10.

Had expected CAM's arrival to wash away the daily deluge of hump Crean offerings plaguing this board but sure ain't happening yet...not as tedious as listening to the recently divorced continue to revile their exes, but close.

It's Spring in Bloomington, and the whole damn Northern Hemisphere - enough already with the acid petulance.

But alas, you are. I'll wager there aren't half a dozen posters here who have the least inkling about what it really takes to coach D-1 in the B10.

Had expected CAM's arrival to wash away the daily deluge of hump Crean offerings plaguing this board but sure ain't happening yet...not as tedious as listening to the recently divorced continue to revile their exes, but close.

It's Spring in Bloomington, and the whole damn Northern Hemisphere - enough already with the acid petulance.

I qualified it. You left that part out. Pure Xs and Os.

But thanks for telling us you are too wise and good for this board from your pulpit...on the board. Sheeesh. Lol

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
I qualified it. You left that part out. Pure Xs and Os.

But thanks for telling us you are too wise and good for this board from your pulpit...on the board. Sheeesh. Lol

If by "qualified" you mean omitting an enormous part of the position within your own expostulation of gospel, yeah, you did. Always a package deal. As for "Pure Xs and Os"... as if it's remotely that simple.

My real issue was/is with the acrid stench of desolation and bitter butthurtedness that permeates the Board for so long as TC remains in the public stocks. It's Indiana. Am comfortable expecting more.

Just burn the body, it's over.

Reactions: cheyennemtnman
If by "qualified" you mean omitting an enormous part of the position within your own expostulation of gospel, yeah, you did. Always a package deal. As for "Pure Xs and Os"... as if it's remotely that simple.

My real issue was/is with the acrid stench of desolation and bitter butthurtedness that permeates the Board for so long as TC remains in the public stocks. It's Indiana. Am comfortable expecting more.

And maybe, just MAYBE if Crean would keep his F***ing mouth SHUT on his pity me and blame everyone else press tour, it would allow people to move on.

And maybe, just MAYBE if Crean would keep his F***ing mouth SHUT on his pity me and blame everyone else press tour, it would allow people to move on.
I think everyone's different on this point if view.
Personally,I have read but one post firing interview with Crean (the one I posted) , and that's all, and honestly I didnt see him coming off too much as 'blaming everyone but himself'. I feel the way I feel about Crean BC he reaped what he sewed. Whats wrong with that? Aren't all judged at their place of work? So what makes him any more special? Ohhhh BC its 'me ,or a friend of mine youre judging ' (self absorbed world we live in today) Well #$%& off

Point taken. That would doubtless help, but never really is any controlling others. Ourselves maybe a little bit...

Cool story, bro. But I'll give you some free advice: d-baggery is no way to win folks over to your point of view on the internet. People will be like, why would I want to share views with such a complete POS?

Reactions: Lucy01
Once the season starts, I imagine we'll see less people talking about Crean on this board. The board was nasty while Davis was here and continued after he was gone, just like with Crean. But from what I recall that died down a lot by the next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT