ADVERTISEMENT

What's the weather forecast for Saturday?

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
From here (Atlanta) it looks like TS Gordon will circumvent Bloomington . . . is that what the forecasters are saying in Indiana?

last i saw, (this AM), not good.

90% chance of rain.

hope it isn't so. have had this date circled for a long time.

last i saw, (this AM), not good.

90% chance of rain.

hope it isn't so. have had this date circled for a long time.

Well, now I'm wondering how that plays out on the field. I guess it depends on whose running game is more effective. I trust Ramsey to make the short throws if he can get time to get the pass away . . . and whether he's effective at the short throws may depend largely on whether we can force UVA to respect our running game.

I've always thought that a wet field favored pound-it types of runners, and scat backs like Reese would be at a disadvantage. But I played only on natural turf and mud . . . I don't know how IU's turf is when it's wet/very wet.

Maybe we'll move it inside Mellancamp...;)

Here's the current NOAA forecast:
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.6056&lon=-86.0817#.W5AU8kEpCEd

If there's a real chance of a complete weather wash out, *and it sounds like there is*,(see Nebraska vs Akron last weekend),there's still time to put a last minute back up plan in place to play up at Lucas Oil Stadium (it has an open date). Since ours is a late kickoff anyway, we have a small degree of flexibility here. We'd end up losing money but we wouldn't be stuck scrambling for an opponent to play on our bye week.

Given the approach taken with the Spring Game I have zero confidence that anyone down there will bother to set up an emergency contingency plan but since I've already done some small bit of their homework for them there's no good reason why they couldn't, at minimum, explore their options...

Last edited:

If there's a real chance of a complete weather wash out, *and it sounds like there is*,(see Nebraska vs Akron last weekend),there's still time to put a last minute back up plan in place to play up at Lucas Oil Stadium (it has an open date). Since ours is a late kickoff anyway, we have a small degree of flexibility here. We'd end up losing money but we wouldn't be stuck scrambling for an opponent to play on our bye week.

Given the approach taken with the Spring Game I have zero confidence that anyone down their will bother to set up an emergency contingency plan but since I've already done some small bit of their homework for them there's no good reason why they couldn't, at minimum, explore their options...
This is discouraging. Heavy rain from the remnants of Gordon.

Can't count on the weather service to get it right.

Ordinarily I would completely agree with you (and we'd be right 70-80% of the time), but in this case, with a weather system this powerful, I think they have more data than usual to work with.

I'm in Mississippi, and we're getting buckets of rain today.

Planning to travel to B-town for the home opener ... looks like the rain is going to follow me.

Reactions: 76-1
I'm in Mississippi, and we're getting buckets of rain today.

Planning to travel to B-town for the home opener ... looks like the rain is going to follow me.
Turn left and head to Oklahoma, maybe it will follow you;)

Hope you brought your rain gear and a life preserver for all onboard:D

Just kidding (obviously) Hoosier Native.

It's impressive that you'd make the Drive.

We want to see you at the stadium, just not the rain (looks like we're not going to get our wish on that one...)

Last time we played in a deluge we totally waxed Rutgers so let's hope for a similar outcome.

Reactions: ESalum86
It all depends on the speed of the front that is going to move the remnants of Gordon this way. If we are lucky it will be slow enough to hold off till later Saturday night or Sunday. I'm going to be on the road so I will be dry but probably streaming the game.

It all depends on the speed of the front that is going to move the remnants of Gordon this way. If we are lucky it will be slow enough to hold off till later Saturday night or Sunday. I'm going to be on the road so I will be dry but probably streaming the game.

Well I'm rooting for Sunday. Let the Not For Long league deal with it.

I’m in Mobile and Gordon came onshore last night. It’s a soaker for sure. Plenty of wind and rain. Good luck with the storm. It could really screw up the game.
Go Hoosiers!

Just kidding (obviously) Hoosier Native.

It's impressive that you'd make the Drive.

We want to see you at the stadium, just not the rain (looks like we're not going to get our wish on that one...)

Last time we played in a deluge we totally waxed Rutgers so let's hope for a similar outcome.

Love spending time with my Hoosiers in Memorial Stadium ... eight hour drive --piece of cake.

I-69 from Evansville helps. Go Hoosiers!

Given the approach taken with the Spring Game I have zero confidence that anyone down there will bother to set up an emergency contingency plan but since I've already done some small bit of their homework for them there's no good reason why they couldn't, at minimum, explore their options...
I would imagine if the forecast holds it will deter a lot of people from making trip. In following your line of thinking how about a “whirlwind” promotion where all tickets are $10 (students free) acknowledging the unique weather circumstance. Mail season ticket holders a food voucher for later game so they don’t feel left out. Wouldn’t undermine future sales bc is unique circumstance.

Reactions: iulb and 76-1
I would imagine if the forecast holds it will deter a lot of people from making trip. In following your line of thinking how about a “whirlwind” promotion where all tickets are $10 (students free) acknowledging the unique weather circumstance. Mail season ticket holders a food voucher for later game so they don’t feel left out. Wouldn’t undermine future sales bc is unique circumstance.

Looks like we're going to need to develop a hurricane plan for September every year. Contingency back up opponents, back up stadiums, marketing promotions that include mileage to alternative sites . . .

. . . yes, I'm just making this up as I go. But dang it, this is two years in a row where real tropical weather is screwing around with a football game. Seems like we ought to study this and be ready to respond with real agility.

Reactions: iulb and 76-1
Looks like we're going to need to develop a hurricane plan for September every year. Contingency back up opponents, back up stadiums, marketing promotions that include mileage to alternative sites . . .

. . . yes, I'm just making this up as I go. But dang it, this is two years in a row where real tropical weather is screwing around with a football game. Seems like we ought to study this and be ready to respond with real agility.
Strange to be talking about this in the context of a midwestern state but, you're right, it is two years in a row.

While we're going to be experiencing the remnants of Gordon this week, I would imagine that the chances of tropical weather affecting the state of Indiana on any given Saturday in the fall are pretty close to zero. The real threat to an IU home game, going forward, is probably a repeat of what happened last year with FIU - - an east coast team (e.g. Maryland, Rutgers) being unable to make it to Bloomington because of a tropical storm or hurricane in their area.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that I don't want any more unscheduled bye weeks early in the season, causing us to then play on consecutive Saturdays for two months without a break.

Strange to be talking about this in the context of a midwestern state but, you're right, it is two years in a row.

While we're going to be experiencing the remnants of Gordon this week, I would imagine that the chances of tropical weather affecting the state of Indiana on any given Saturday in the fall are pretty close to zero. The real threat to an IU home game, going forward, is probably a repeat of what happened last year with FIU - - an east coast team (e.g. Maryland, Rutgers) being unable to make it to Bloomington because of a tropical storm or hurricane in their area.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that I don't want any more unscheduled bye weeks early in the season, causing us to then play on consecutive Saturdays for two months without a break.

Seems like any hurricane that makes landfall east of Houston, TX and west of Destin, FL finds a way to meander up to the Midwest and rain its remnants out...

Indiana Football would be smart to have a contingency plan for every game but especially those in September...

Seems rare that Lucas Oil would have an open date on a Saturday (we've lucked out this time). Given that Fred made the Colts owner an even richer man than he already was with that sweetheart stadium deal I would hope that a little quid pro quo would be in order... Not likely, but one can dream...

Seems like any hurricane that makes landfall east of Houston, TX and west of Destin, FL finds a way to meander up to the Midwest and rain its remnants out...

Indiana Football would be smart to have a contingency plan for every game but especially those in September...

Seems rare that Lucas Oil would have an open date on a Saturday (we've lucked out this time). Given that Fred made the Colts owner an even richer man than he already was with that sweetheart stadium deal I would hope that a little quid pro quo would be in order... Not likely, but one can dream...
I haven't seen an hour-by-hour forecast. Any chance that the rain is out of here by Sat. night ? Or any chance that we might avoid it by moving the game to the afternoon ?

From here (Atlanta) it looks like TS Gordon will circumvent Bloomington . . . is that what the forecasters are saying in Indiana?
dXd.gif

Reactions: RBB89
Saturday will suck. Parking in the grass lot will suck. Driving home wet at night will suck. Hopefully the game won't suck . Either way, I'll stay until it is over. The last time we had such a high chance of rain, there was not a vehicle within 100 yards of ours in the grass lot when we left.

It is only rain. At least it isn't 40 degrees. I just hope it doesn't screw up the tailgating!

Reactions: 76-1 and Sope Creek
I haven't seen an hour-by-hour forecast. Any chance that the rain is out of here by Sat. night ? Or any chance that we might avoid it by moving the game to the afternoon ?

The earlier the better probably, at least as far as the heavier rain goes.

I have to believe that would be the BTN's call, and they won't care. Actually, they'd gain a lot of viewers if the weather is bad.

I have to believe that would be the BTN's call, and they won't care. Actually, they'd gain a lot of viewers if the weather is bad.
They could do a delayed broadcast of the game. No biggie. And they'd get even more viewers since some of those who went to the game would watch it in the B'town bars and hotel rooms, if not at home.

Lucas Oil Stadium is the clear solution.

If the seating and employee infrastructure concerns seemingly can't be surmounted I'd go so far as to say we should just play it as a TV only game.

We'd have to refund all ticket sales and it would be very unfair to those who are driving or flying in from afar but special "Veiwing Parties" such as Assembly Hall, Franklin Hall, etc..., could be set up for those who still wished to view the game on campus...

This solution would resolve the stoppage and safety issues (lightening strikes) and the possibility of having to suspend playing the game at all (which puts us back in that scramble to find a bye weekend opponent).

Let's hope the Athletic Department is, at minimum, exploring this contingency with Lucas Oil Stadium officials...

Tough call and, no matter what is decided, there are going to be people who are unhappy. This is a home opener, with many people coming from a distance with confirmed flights, reserved hotel rooms, etc. If the administration leaves things status quo, there's the risk of a lengthy weather delay (a significant problem for a night game), an outright cancellation, or a football game that is played in miserable (and potentially dangerous) conditions for both players and fans. If the location is changed to Indy, there will be more than a few unhappy students and fans who want to see the game in Memorial Stadium. And if the location were to be changed to Indy and the weather ends up being not so bad in Bloomington, there will be plenty of pissed off people. Accuweather's hour by hour forecast for Saturday and Saturday night is calling for only intermittent rain. The problem with weather forecasting is that it is so often (apologies to Accuweather) inaccurate. I should have gone into meteorology. It's the only occupation where you can be wrong all the time but still hold onto your job.

Lucas Oil Stadium is the clear solution.

If the seating and employee infrastructure concerns seemingly can't be surmounted I'd go so far as to say we should just play it as a TV only game.

We'd have to refund all ticket sales and it would be very unfair to those who are driving or flying in from afar but special "Veiwing Parties" such as Assembly Hall, Franklin Hall, etc..., could be set up for those who still wished to view the game on campus...

This solution would resolve the stoppage and safety issues (lightening strikes) and the possibility of having to suspend playing the game at all (which puts us back in that scramble to find a bye weekend opponent).

Let's hope the Athletic Department is, at minimum, exploring this contingency with Lucas Oil Stadium officials...
There is a Colts game the next day so I don't know if that would stop having the IU game there or not.

Tough call and, no matter what is decided, there are going to be people who are unhappy. This is a home opener, with many people coming from a distance with confirmed flights, reserved hotel rooms, etc. If the administration leaves things status quo, there's the risk of a lengthy weather delay (a significant problem for a night game), an outright cancellation, or a football game that is played in miserable (and potentially dangerous) conditions for both players and fans. If the location is changed to Indy, there will be more than a few unhappy students and fans who want to see the game in Memorial Stadium. And if the location were to be changed to Indy and the weather ends up being not so bad in Bloomington, there will be plenty of pissed off people. Accuweather's hour by hour forecast for Saturday and Saturday night is calling for only intermittent rain. The problem with weather forecasting is that it is so often (apologies to Accuweather) inaccurate. I should have gone into meteorology. It's the only occupation where you can be wrong all the time but still hold onto your job.

NOAA (my go to source) is still showing heavy rain (up to 2") which means flooded streets and parking lots, accompanied by a possible thunderstorm (which means Game stoppage and possibly suspension of play)...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.6056&lon=-86.0817#.W5FKdkEpCEd

There is a Colts game the next day so I don't know if that would stop having the IU game there or not.

The stadium cleanup turn around would be a stumbling block but if we went the "No fans onsite, televised play only" route that would solve most of that problem, limiting the cleanup to the field, sidelines and locker rooms..., primarily. Given our AD's relationship with the Irsay family I would sure hope he could get something like this to happen...

They’re not going to move the game. It’s rain. And this is football, not tennis. Everything will be ok.

Several games will be affected by this, not just ours in Bloomington, IN. We have to be ready for it.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
They’re not going to move the game. It’s rain. And this is football, not tennis. Everything will be ok.

Several games will be affected by this, not just ours in Bloomington, IN. We have to be ready for it.

It's not about the rain, it's about the mandatory lightening within range stoppages and/or Total suspension of play...

Nobody is afraid of playing in or sitting in the rain...

There is a public safety issue of 2" of rain rapidly falling on the roadways over a short period of time (flooded roads) but that's not the issue being discussed...

ADVERTISEMENT