ADVERTISEMENT

What's The Hardest Physical Labor You Performed for $$?

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
I bet most of you have never had a callous.

I have a hard time choosing:

Putting up hay was hard ass work.
Working at a nursery planting trees was hard ass work.
Helping haul coke machines around and moving them up and down stairs was hard ass work.
All of 'em were harder than the factory job I had - riding forklifts is easy.

Never used a jack-hammer, but it looks like hard-ass work.

What did you sissies do for hard-ass work in your life?
(I auto-exclude combat veterans from this contest.)

Landscaping as a side job. Hard work but paid straight cash homie. And working in/with dirt is always rewarding.

Helping haul coke machines around and moving them up and down stairs was hard ass work.

Roofing houses, which includes tearing old shingles out, and carrying new shingles up the ladder was hard. Working 12 yrs as a fast food manager was hard too especially at the Wendys I worked at because in the summer it was sooooo hot in there. Anybody ever eat at the Wendys that was on 31 in Westfield? It's gone now since they have redone the exits and roads in Carmel/Westfield. It was very hot in there.

stacking the bales of hay in the dusty hot barn

stacking hot rugs as they came off the assembly line at Regal Rugs, 3rd shift

5 AM milkings of the holsteins

roofing the barn with hot tin

working at a sawmill

1) Baling hay - putting up tobacco dead tie.

2) Welding in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia during summer.

3) Bagging / delivering ice as a 10 year old.

4) anytime I have roofed (not coeds, houses)

5) shoveling 16" snow with 3" inches of ice on December 24th, 2004.

Corn de tasseling when I was12 or 13. Made it a week. Most of my friends quit after the first day. My parents made me finish the week. It sucked.

AI 'ing (artificial inseminating) alligators at a LSU research farm back in the 70's.........

Without a doubt walking beans was the worst. Basically walking from one end of a soybean field to the other pulling weeds eight rows to a man. Starting in the morning the ground was still wet and there'd be unbelievable humidity in the field. In the afternoon it was just so damn hot and no shade for miles.

I baled a lot of hay in high school and it was hard, but not that hard. I also helped my buddy shovel an entire semi truck full of corn out of a grain silo when the stirrator stopped working. We came out of that silo looking like ghosts with all that corn dust.

Reactions: Digressions
Yep!... Baling hay was the hardest and more specifically, as shitter suggests, putting it up in a dusty, sweltering barn was tortuous.

Second for me though was the summer I worked for the Indiana Farm Burea Cooperative on Kentucky Avenue. Worked in the wool department. The work sorting fleeces wasn't really hard but it was when we went out to farms to pick up huge, compacted burlap bags full of wool that your manhood was challenged. Some of those farmers would pack the shit out of eight foot burlap bags and those bitches were heavy. Bees liked to make nests in them as well and some dude that worked with me was allergic to bee stings. Scared the shit out of him.

Fleeces saturated with menstruation and/or shit were classified as "crutchings" in the wool department. Handling dingle berry littered, bloody fleeces was an extra party favor.

Upside to this summer job... I had the softest phacking hands in Morgan County handling all that lanolin laden wool.

McHoop

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
Corn de tasseling when I was12 or 13. Made it a week. Most of my friends quit after the first day. My parents made me finish the week. It sucked.
I made it all Summer. Made enough to buy a new 10-speed bike. The bike was stolen 3 weeks later...Oh well...

Dug ditches for short time. But probably the suckiest job was at the RCA picture tube factory in Marion. Worked in salvage where we dipped defective tubes into vats of acid to eat away the bead of adhesive that fused the front glass to the back portion. Had at 25" tube break in half on me and pierced damb near all the way through my arm once.

Last edited:
Yep!... Baling hay was the hardest and more specifically, as shitter suggests, putting it up in a dusty, sweltering barn was tortuous.

Second for me though was the summer I worked for the Indiana Farm Burea Cooperative on Kentucky Avenue. Worked in the wool department. The work sorting fleeces wasn't really hard but it was when we went out to farms to pick up huge, compacted burlap bags full of wool that your manhood was challenged. Some of those farmers would pack the shit out of eight foot burlap bags and those bitches were heavy. Bees liked to make nests in them as well and some dude that worked with me was allergic to bee stings. Scared the shit out of him.

Fleeces saturated with menstruation and/or shit were classified as "crutchings" in the wool department. Handling dingle berry littered, bloody fleeces was an extra party favor.

Upside to this summer job... I had the softest phacking hands in Morgan County handling all that lanolin laden wool.

McHoop
I worked one summer baling straw. Not as heavy as hay, but still not fun. I was part of a morning crew that worked from 7-11. We would handle 900 bales a day in those 4 hours. The farmer I worked for had a hired hand that stacked all that straw in the barn. He touched every damn bale. There was a second crew from noon to four and did the same thing. Same guy stacked in the barn for those 4 hours too. That dude was a machine.

Pouring concrete with my grandpa when I was younger. Summer job with INDOT. HVAC work for a while on high school and college. Various home remodeling projects

Laying rebar the summer between my freshmen and sophomore year at IU. It was one of the hottest summers we've had in recent memory. Carrying around hot ass steal all summer was exhausting. There were a couple days I was so dehydrated I had to go get IV fluids in the evening.

Crazy hard.

Reactions: IUFANPUBUDAD
Baling hay, yeah.

Driving/working a wrecker in winter. This was back in the old days before all the wheel lift hydraulics. You had the sling and chains. Had to climb in and out of the cab, drag the chains out and crawl under the cars and hook everything up, lather rinse repeat, all in snow and ice and cold with 30 lbs of overalls and boots and shit.

I spent two summers installing, moving and servicing pool tables, shuffleboards, vending, cherry masters, pinball machines, etc. Service days were easy. Moving days, not so much.

I worked for a week on a beer truck as the helper. Don't know what the position is called but my job was to read the mark the driver put on the pallet and unload it off the truck, bring the beer inside, then rotate the stock.
It equates to 1 full semi of beer per day. Low light was unloading beer in the Mexican ghetto and hit my head on the pig carcass hanging in the fridge where we unloaded the beer.
Lost just under 8 lbs in 5 days or work.

Loading a manure speader or maybe it was the smell that made it worse but hoeing soybeans by hand was no picnic either and it always seemed so pointless.......

Putting up hay in the barn loft, hanging drywall and putting insulation in an attic

Bailing square bails. Both loading the wagon and loading the barn. Nasty, sweaty, would fack your arms and respiratory.

2nd is working at a metal spinning factory one summer and I was doing the same job as the work release guys lifting 100-200 pound metal discs on machines to be spun. I didn't last a month. And still have scars from that hot steal that cut like a razor.

1) Baling hay - putting up tobacco dead tie.

2) Welding in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia during summer.

3) Bagging / delivering ice as a 10 year old.

4) anytime I have roofed (not coeds, houses)

5) shoveling 16" snow with 3" inches of ice on December 24th, 2004.

I worked an ice house gig too.
Hay was worse.
Anything but yard mowing sucks when you're ten.

Bailing Hay was easy you pansy.

I did it 2 summers.

The 3 years I worked in my uncles hog barn was much worse.

Bailing Hay was easy you pansy.

I did it 2 summers.

The 3 years I worked in my uncles hog barn was much worse.

I'm not talking about riding an air conditioned tractor, rolling up a big ball

I'm talking about lifting a million bales onto a wagon, then off the wagon into a barn

But the smell of a hog farm is epic

I'm not talking about riding an air conditioned tractor, rolling up a big ball

I'm talking about lifting a million bales onto a wagon, then off the wagon into a barn

But the smell of a hog farm is epic
Thats what I did. Rode on a wagon in the field stacking bails. Then heading to a barn to stack them in a loft.

The hog barn was much tougher IMO.

I also helped remodel a hog barn one summer. 3 weeks of pulling up concrete slats and sledgehammering concrete walls. That was a lot of manual labor.

Thats what I did. Rode on a wagon in the field stacking bails. Then heading to a barn to stack them in a loft.

The hog barn was much tougher IMO.

I also helped remodel a hog barn one summer. 3 weeks of pulling up concrete slats and sledgehammering concrete walls. That was a lot of manual labor.
I'll never forget that loading pattern.

I mowed grass between eight and 10 hours a day at Cummins the summer after my freshman year at IU. The summers before my junior and senior years of college, I worked at substation maintenance for Public Service. Sometimes I would have to use a jack hammer for several hours a day. It had no padding on the grips and I would get some incredible blisters on my hands.

Reactions: C-$
Baling hay. Who knew? Up here in 'da Region, hay is what you yell at someone to get their attention. Hay - you!

Summer before my sophomore year I was a "heater helper" in a train car manufacturing plant, which meant that my jerb was to load metal bars or ingots into a roaring ass hot oven to get red hot, then pull out of said roaring ass hot fire the red hot metal, and stage so the operator could press into various parts for trains. Decoupling bars, brake shoes, etc., as well as box car ends, although the box car ends were cold pressed.

Most of the "operators" only had three fingers on one hand or the other; presses are unforgiving if you make a mistake. I would clock in at 7:00 am, and worked mandatory 10 hour days. Six days a week. They would give you big asbestos gloves with which to hold the tongs (not thongs, unfortunately) with which I would muscle in and out of the oven the train brake shoe pads or decoupling bars. I had no hair on my arms that summer.

Doesn't sound too bad, but the thing was you had to stack the brake shoe pads five on top of one, so it was heavy as hell considering the tongs were about four feet long. And a 110" long iron decoupling bar was my least favorite one to work with. Hard to stage into the press, and the operator was always bitching at me for either being too fast or too slow. And the one time I missed the mark and just missed the operator's leg, but tore his pants, with a red hot iron rod (insert comment...) was scary.

Made piece work that summer, though. Guessing I banked over $10k that summer (not bad for 1979), which paid for most of my tuition and room/board that year at IU.

Thank Jah that my dad, who worked in the engineering department there, got me the job in the first place, but more than that, the guys in the shop liked my dad. So, when I walked on the shop floor the first day, Dino looked me over, and said - are you Bill's kid? I said yes, and with that I was ok. Taught what to do, and what not to do. So many great guys that I never saw after that summer. Ray (left there to become a police man, Stash (that's the Polish Staash) was also great - told me to never sit on cold metal - you get the pyles (meaning 'roids).

I don't think those kind of summer jobs exist any more. Most of my friends had summer jobs at a steel mill, or something. No more.

Baling hay. Who knew? Up here in 'da Region, hay is what you yell at someone to get their attention. Hay - you!

Summer before my sophomore year I was a "heater helper" in a train car manufacturing plant, which meant that my jerb was to load metal bars or ingots into a roaring ass hot oven to get red hot, then pull out of said roaring ass hot fire the red hot metal, and stage so the operator could press into various parts for trains. Decoupling bars, brake shoes, etc., as well as box car ends, although the box car ends were cold pressed.

Most of the "operators" only had three fingers on one hand or the other; presses are unforgiving if you make a mistake. I would clock in at 7:00 am, and worked mandatory 10 hour days. Six days a week. They would give you big asbestos gloves with which to hold the tongs (not thongs, unfortunately) with which I would muscle in and out of the oven the train brake shoe pads or decoupling bars. I had no hair on my arms that summer.

Doesn't sound too bad, but the thing was you had to stack the brake shoe pads five on top of one, so it was heavy as hell considering the tongs were about four feet long. And a 110" long iron decoupling bar was my least favorite one to work with. Hard to stage into the press, and the operator was always bitching at me for either being too fast or too slow. And the one time I missed the mark and just missed the operator's leg, but tore his pants, with a red hot iron rod (insert comment...) was scary.

Made piece work that summer, though. Guessing I banked over $10k that summer (not bad for 1979), which paid for most of my tuition and room/board that year at IU.

Thank Jah that my dad, who worked in the engineering department there, got me the job in the first place, but more than that, the guys in the shop liked my dad. So, when I walked on the shop floor the first day, Dino looked me over, and said - are you Bill's kid? I said yes, and with that I was ok. Taught what to do, and what not to do. So many great guys that I never saw after that summer. Ray (left there to become a police man, Stash (that's the Polish Staash) was also great - told me to never sit on cold metal - you get the pyles (meaning 'roids).

I don't think those kind of summer jobs exist any more. Most of my friends had summer jobs at a steel mill, or something. No more.

It's nice to know somebody else was man enough to pay for college rather than letting the parents do it. I was at IU between 1972 and 1976 and my parents didn't contribute a dime towards my college education. After I graduated, I had to pay $25.00 a month towards my college loan for a few years, but I skimped and saved to pay for most of it myself while I was there.

Bailing Hay
Corn Detasseling
Building Pallet Rack in non-airconditioned warehouses
Building paver block retention walls

Unpaid chores while growing up:
-scraping manure saturated straw out of a barn and loading it in a manure spreader.
-Walking beans.
-The endless summer my dad decided to side the house with limestone about 4' high. I first had to hand dig 4' deep and 1' wide all the way around the house for the footer, then I hand picked numerous pickup loads of limestone at the stone quarry, then I had to hand mix and carry the hod.
For Pay:
-Detasseled corn - It sucked, but it really wasn't that hard.
-Baled hay - like others have said, I didn't mind being on the wagon, but up in the loft was miserable.
-Worked in a Furrows lumberyard one summer in college. The yard was asphalt and hot as hell. I absolutely hated loading those ^*&(! railroad ties.
-Worked another college summer at American Precast Concrete making large steel re-enforced concrete pieces for buildings. Long hot days.
-My hardest job might have been 2 or 3 weeks in high school when me and a classmate tore out the gym floor at my high school after a water leak warped the floor. No air conditioning and no air movement in that gym, hotter than hell. We used pickaxes and pry bars to pull up the floor. Lots of nails that we also had to pull. We had to carry the wood out of the gym by hand and load it in a dumpster, this at least allowed us to get some fresh air.

Your mom.

Reactions: mike41703
I was cast as ET in a porno. I was a human dressed as an alien finger cuff:

tumblr_n8748bDKlK1s4goyeo1_400.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT