ADVERTISEMENT

What's the best place to shop for camping gear?

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Not only am I looking for reasonable prices, but excellent customer service. I hate going to Dicks because I think their customer service is awful.

I'm planning to suprise my kids with some camping equipment. I'll be looking for a tent for 5, sleeping bags for all of us and whatever gear they try to sell me. I'm hoping we can make a Yellowstone trip one day soon. We've been talking about it for the last two years.

I wouldn't mind gear suggestions too. TIA

Not only am I looking for reasonable prices, but excellent customer service. I hate going to Dicks because I think their customer service is awful.

I'm planning to suprise my kids with some camping equipment. I'll be looking for a tent for 5, sleeping bags for all of us and whatever gear they try to sell me. I'm hoping we can make a Yellowstone trip one day soon. We've been talking about it for the last two years.

A drunk neighbors campsite at 3 AM. Side note to the awesome opportunity. Make sure they don't have guns or Dobermans.

I would say REI offers the best balance of quality, service, & selection. If you live around Btown, J.L. Waters is awesome but a bit pricey (though I think that they price match most items) .

Reactions: kkott and 76-1
Campmor has a ton of stuff online and they had a complete discounted catalog. I think for discount stuff they sell overstocks and previous year models.

https://www.campmor.com/

You could also find model #s from there and pricecheck on Amazon.

Reactions: 76-1
REI if you're going to shop at an actual store and be able to test out the gear in person. As noted above though, you can get some amazing deals online. REI has a lifetime guarantee on many of their products and exchanging a used item that has failed prematurely is easy. You don't get that at most places. Plus you get a dividend back each year based on what you've spent. I love REI

Reactions: Sope Creek and 76-1

Good luck in your search. You seem like a good dad.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
I didn't think to ask, but I'm assuming you're going car camping and not backpacking. Is that correct?

Time of year will also make a difference on the type of gear.

You'll need a good cooler. Watch out for Yogi and Booboo
pelican-rtic-yeti-coolers-bear-proof-pelican-video.jpg

Unless you are sure you will use the crap out of the equipment, buy used or cheap stuff when you can. I laughed at friends that spent a buttload of money and only went once or twice. I would suggest real nice sleeping bags as you can always use them at non-camping times.

We started with a used tent and upgraded to a nicer tent and then a pop up camper. We bought an inexpensive portable stove that would probably still work. Buy a couple of cheap lanterns. Spend more on a nice awning. You can use it at tailgates or outdoor parties. Spend a little more on the items you will use even if your kids hate camping like the awning and sleeping bags.

car camping
You can buy a heavier tent then and use heavier synthetic bags instead of down. That will save you a bunch of money.

Do something like this tent. You'll want lots of mesh on the walls and and full coverage rain fly to avoid condensation and to keep the inside dry.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/mount...zLVNlYXNvbiBUZW50czoxOjc6c2FjQ2F0NzExMDAwNDE=

Look for synthetic bags similar to these, but try to match the temp rating to the conditions you'll be in. (No need for a 20 degree bag in July, but a 40 degree bag in May at elevation may not be enough either)
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-mountaineering-20-f-echo-lake-sleeping-bag-synthetic-mummy~p~3233m/?filterString=sleeping-bags-and-pads~d~208/

Skip the backpacking pads and get some Intex type air mattresses that will fit in the tent and a DC convertor for the car to plug in an air pump.

Camp stove like this would be easy too. I've got an old one like this that we use for car camping. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Coleman-Triton-Propane-Stove/1972535.uts?slotId=0

Last edited:
You can buy a heavier tent then and use heavier synthetic bags instead of down. That will save you a bunch of money.

Do something like this tent. You'll want lots of mesh on the walls and and full coverage rain fly to avoid condensation and to keep the inside dry.
https://www.steepandcheap.com/mount...zLVNlYXNvbiBUZW50czoxOjc6c2FjQ2F0NzExMDAwNDE=

Look for synthetic bags similar to these, but try to match the temp rating to the conditions you'll be in. (No need for a 20 degree bag in July, but a 40 degree bag in May at elevation may not be enough either)
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-mountaineering-20-f-echo-lake-sleeping-bag-synthetic-mummy~p~3233m/?filterString=sleeping-bags-and-pads~d~208/

Skip the backpacking pads and get some Intex type air mattresses that will fit in the tent and a DC convertor for the car to plug in an air pump.

Camp stove like this would be easy too. I've got an old one like this that we use for car camping. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Coleman-Triton-Propane-Stove/1972535.uts?slotId=0
dude, thanks for the info, that's great suggestions

dude, thanks for the info, that's great suggestions
You're welcome.

Like IUBud, I've got friends that went overboard on this stuff and never used any of it after the first year. A buddy showed up at my house 2 years ago for the drive up to the boundary waters for a 5 night trip with $1700 in new gear that he'd bought from REI the day before we left. The trip was miserable for him and he hasn't used any of it since.

I like propane stuff, I have a stove like that, a little single burner that comes with a base for the propane and screws directly on the propane tank (I use it 10x1 to the stove, generally 1 burner is enough) and a propane lantern, which gives you that great white light and heat vs batteries. 2 full small tanks and you are set for a weekend trip and covered camp lighting and cooking.

Would we be dissapoinged with something like this?
https://www.costco.com/core-6-person-instant-cabin-tent.product.100341698.html

One like this was great for my family of five, though it's nice to get a smaller one too, once the kids get bigger. Ours holds 2 queen sized mattresses side by side, with room for bags and a dog.

Coleman Montana 6-1239;x739; 6 Person Tent

easy to set up, durable. Mine is >20 years old. Tall enough to stand up in the middle.

51OzRaUWW6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

One weekend in that and you'll need a divorce attorney that can get you visitation rights with your kids - if they want anything to do with you after tent camping. If you have to get this camping thing out of your system, I'd suggest calling HookyIU1990's buddy - sounds like he's got some top shelf equipment you can get for next to nothing.

I took my wife overnight tent camping once when we lived in North Carolina. Our son was about two at the time. That night was the longest 6 months of my life. In a lifetime of making dubious decisions, that was probably the dumbest thing I've ever done.

One weekend in that and you'll need a divorce attorney that can get you visitation rights with your kids - if they want anything to do with you after tent camping. If you have to get this camping thing out of your system, I'd suggest calling HookyIU1990's buddy - sounds like he's got some top shelf equipment you can get for next to nothing.

I took my wife overnight tent camping once when we lived in North Carolina. Our son was about two at the time. That night was the longest 6 months of my life. In a lifetime of making dubious decisions, that was probably the dumbest thing I've ever done.
Seriously tell me what mistakes to avoid...details my brother.

Ok, so the tent Shooter linked above is $99 on Amazon. How you feel about that one. Unfortunately I have this idea of you get what you pay for. I like the price, but what will I be missing?

Ok, so the tent Shooter linked above is $99 on Amazon. How you feel about that one. Unfortunately I have this idea of you get what you pay for. I like the price, but what will I be missing?

I’m just messing with ya - a tent is a tent - spend as little as u can to get the size u need. If your family likes it you’ll soon want to upgrade anyway and if they don’t you’re not out a lot of money.

Many women just aren’t cut out for camping - and that night I found out beyond the shadow of a doubt that my wife is one of them. That camping trip counted twice for us - first AND last! We’re still married about 30 years later, but we’re not planning any camping trips!

Reactions: Eppy99 and 76-1
I would go with a major brand, because now and then you may have to replace a pole. Coleman, LL Bean, Cabellas, etc.

But I'd get about a 4-5 man tent for all of the gear, the dog, and the kids, while getting maybe a 3 man tent for you and the wife. Threesome possibilities. J/K. Two adults do not fit in a 2 man tent, not close.

I would mark up the measurements somewhere first to really get an idea how much space the tent has and how much you need before buying one. Don’t rely and the number of people it says it fits. Don’t end up with one that is too small, even if technically you all could “fit” in it to sleep. You will want some breathing room.

You guys feel Cabin vs dome is just a matter of preference when it comes to wanting space for standing? Seems like dome would withstand more wind but honestly I’m not sure we’ll ever have to deal with that.

Get sleeping pads. Tent camping on the ground with just sleeping bags sucks. The sleeping pads help. Ours have a valve and air up. Nice to have.

Like some have said, don’t spend a fortune on a tent. We have a Coleman that sleeps 5 comfortably and and easy to put up and take down. It was not expensive.

Spend your money on good boots. Comfortable hiking boots are a great investment.

Reactions: kkott
You guys feel Cabin vs dome is just a matter of preference when it comes to wanting space for standing? Seems like dome would withstand more wind but honestly I’m not sure we’ll ever have to deal with that.

The more space the better, but my mindset was always: the tent is for sleeping; be in it as little as possible. And, I'm tall, so standing up generally wasn't an option and not comfortable. I think you're right, but personally, I wouldn't worry too much about dome vs cabin. I'd focus on what you think is the best made, ventilation, easy to setup, etc... you can rely on reviews and a place like REI is great if you can go there and see them yourself. Durability for weather might be more important than you think. If you camp more than a couple times, at some point you'll be in a heavy storm or rain, and then it becomes uber important.

As someone else said, I prefer sleeping pads to air mattresses. They are smaller, and in my experience, air mattresses almost always leak and end up being more trouble (you'll need a pump). Sleeping pads are less "cushiony" but are much more portable and reliable.

Last edited:
All you're doing in the tent is sleeping. I'd look for something like this to sleep in https://www.steepandcheap.com/eureka-copper-canyon-1610-tent-6-person-3-season

If we're just car camping and hanging out, I string a tarp to sit under in case it rains. If you don't want to put up a tarp, look for something like this. https://www.steepandcheap.com/kelty-cabana-kel009q

If you want to put up a tarp to ride out rain, which is my preference even in the backcountry, you can't go wrong with a Kelty Noah's Tarp. https://www.steepandcheap.com/kelty-noahs-tarp

That's a 9' Noah below and 3-4 people could sit under it and not be in each other's laps. You might want to do a 12' to get all of you under it or do the 9' and split people between the tent and the tarp or cabana shelter. If you're in an actual campground, I string it over the picnic table and you can play cards or eat meals without getting wet.
S5NQFL7.jpg

Same 9 footer at a campground, just folded back since it wasn't raining.
l1IKGqy.jpg

Reactions: Cortez88 and kkott
Get sleeping pads. Tent camping on the ground with just sleeping bags sucks. The sleeping pads help. Ours have a valve and air up. Nice to have.

Like some have said, don’t spend a fortune on a tent. We have a Coleman that sleeps 5 comfortably and and easy to put up and take down. It was not expensive.

Spend your money on good boots. Comfortable hiking boots are a great investment.
This is good advice.

Round up on tent size. Like I said in your other thread, don't put two people in a two-man tent. You'll both hate it Get plenty of room. Make sure you have some padding, whether air mattress, etc. to sleep on.

Your feet must stay dry and comfortable throughout the whole trip, if they don't and don't have adequate footware, it will suck. Make sure you put plenty of thought into that.

Yeah, if you're going to Yellowstone? Make sure you have your food locked up tight in the car when not accessing it. Don't make a lazy mistake on this one.

I would keep one eye on Facebook Marketplace. It's the new Craigslist and you can find some stuff there that you don't need to play new prices for. Things like stoves, cookware, etc.

Camping is awesome, if done corrrectly. Have fun.

Reactions: Cortez88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT