ADVERTISEMENT

What's IU looking like in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Moore, you've got a realistic chance. Without him, think Lloyd and Mary in "Dumb and Dumber."
OIP.oahVOMIfPNodBlHvODbl3wHaC9

IU has the best depth across the board they've had in a long time.

But they also have good "COVID depth." By that I mean that they have the depth to withstand a random assortment of quarantines across different positions.

The position groups I'm most concerned with for COVID depth is QB, OL & DL, maybe WR to a lesser extent. I like the returners & off-season additions.

I like Mullen's ability to defend Bell. Not holding him to like 3 catches & 40 yards or something, but to be able to keep him from running wild. I really think the DL has the ability, if healthy, to do some real damage this year too.

That's true. We might end up 1-7, or 0-8, in all reality.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see PU go 0-8, but I see no chance of that happening. I think 3 to 5 wins is being realistic.

For IU I think 4-4 is most likely, but 5-3 isn't a big reach. Everything would have to break right for 6-2, and when has that ever happened to IUFB? Everything would have to completely fall apart to only win 3 or less.

Rutger is terrible.

Maryland has talent but probably the worst head coach in the country.

MSU I think has only 2 or 3 defensive starters returning, and a coach I am not really sold on either.

No reason to think we can't get 1 or 2 wins in the Michigan, Penn St, Purdue group.

IU has the best depth across the board they've had in a long time.

But they also have good "COVID depth." By that I mean that they have the depth to withstand a random assortment of quarantines across different positions.

The position groups I'm most concerned with for COVID depth is QB, OL & DL, maybe WR to a lesser extent. I like the returners & off-season additions.

I like Mullen's ability to defend Bell. Not holding him to like 3 catches & 40 yards or something, but to be able to keep him from running wild. I really think the DL has the ability, if healthy, to do some real damage this year too.

I think Mullen is a stud but I think Bell proved himself against him last year going for 9/136/1. Even if Moore doesn’t come back, Purdue will have more weapons on offense than last year. Bell can be a top 3 WR in the conference IMO. He almost was last year.

I think Mullen is a stud but I think Bell proved himself against him last year going for 9/136/1. Even if Moore doesn’t come back, Purdue will have more weapons on offense than last year. Bell can be a top 3 WR in the conference IMO. He almost was last year.
To be honest i think both fan bases can say their player did well. Bell did well hauling in 9 catches for 136 but mullen also had 8 tackles with 2.5 for a loss. 4 broken up passes and a few more that although he didnt break up were not complete because of his tight coverage. If i remember right bell was targeted 15+ times which is a ton.
So yes both players played outstanding

To be honest i think both fan bases can say their player did well. Bell did well hauling in 9 catches for 136 but mullen also had 8 tackles with 2.5 for a loss. 4 broken up passes and a few more that although he didnt break up were not complete because of his tight coverage. If i remember right bell was targeted 15+ times which is a ton.
Actually just watched that game 10 minutes ago. David bell was targeted 17 times. 4 were officially pass breakups and 4 were not pass breakups but tight coverage prevented the catch and 9 were catches

Yup. This. Both players are dang good players!

Mullen wasn’t on Bell, every play.

Tell me why you'll keep the Bucket another year.

Please, no BLM, Covid, or Politics. Football only. Thanks.

All you need to do is recall our Bowl game versus TN, realize that we get the Win less one bonehead play -(and you can be certain That was a learning experience)-..., compare that to your last embarrassing SEC matchup and you can see what's headed your way....

Can't wait until 12/12/20...

• Love
Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
All you need to do is recall our Bowl game versus TN, realize that we get the Win less one bonehead play -(and you can be certain That was a learning experience)-..., compare that to your last embarrassing SEC matchup and you can see what's headed your way....

Can't wait until 12/12/20...

Ahh gotta love that small sample size of one game lol. I don’t think many Purdue fans are that worried about IU, especially with Rondale back.

I don’t think many IU fans are that worried about Purdue, even with Rondale back. IU has the far superior QB and team in general.

I’ll give you having the superior QB but I do question if he can make it through a full season. Disagree on you having a far superior team in general. I like IU’s defense better but think Purdue will have a better offense.

I’ll give you having the superior QB but I do question if he can make it through a full season. Disagree on you having a far superior team in general. I like IU’s defense better but think Purdue will have a better offense.
So you claim to have the better offense let’s break it down then
Quarterback you have already conceded that to IU assuming Penix stays healthy which you have to do until he is not.
Offensive line although Purdue offensive line has improved I still think that edge goes to IU. Bedford and Jones return at Tackles. Crider returns at center Nworah listed at one guard and Katic at the other ahead of Powell the grad transfer from Stanford.
Tight end with Hendershot back and you losing your stud from last year that gives us the edge there..
Receivers Moore and Bell probably top 2 then Philyor is possibly third best on the field then we have Freyfogle, Marshall Ellis. Which are not bad, but have to give you guys the edge there.
Running backs Scott and Sampson over Over your guys for sure. Although Horvath had a monster game last year.
Play caller no doubt Brohm is very good ours is huge unknown. Big edge goes to you
Not sure how you give yourself the big advantage on offense.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Nice to read some civil (for the most part) discussions between Purdue and IU football fans. It is certainly refreshing compared to the hostility and subjectivity of the Purdue Rivals forum.

I'm honestly not as worried about RM being back on paper. He's electric and an incredible asset to PU, but he doesn't scare me that much on his own.

Where it makes me considerably more nervous about the damage he can do is RM + Bell + Brohm's ability to call plays that put these guys in a position to make plays. The OOB could really be a shootout, because assuming everyone stays healthy on both sides, it's going to be tough to slow them down.

And considering it's going to be so late in the year, I hope IU is able to get back to being able to establish a run game through the season and grind it out to limit the number of PU possessions.

I'm honestly not as worried about RM being back on paper. He's electric and an incredible asset to PU, but he doesn't scare me that much on his own.

Where it makes me considerably more nervous about the damage he can do is RM + Bell + Brohm's ability to call plays that put these guys in a position to make plays. The OOB could really be a shootout, because assuming everyone stays healthy on both sides, it's going to be tough to slow them down.

And considering it's going to be so late in the year, I hope IU is able to get back to being able to establish a run game through the season and grind it out to limit the number of PU possessions.

Can you elaborate on why Rondale on his own doesn’t scare you that much? He was a stud even before he had a weapon beside him like Bell. Curious on your rationale.

To be honest I am not so concerned about the run game. There are new ways to control the ball and move the sticks. Bubble screens, quick screens tunnel screens short quick routes all do that. Coach Deboard was very effective at moving the sticks and controlling the ball and DeBoer and Penix had a great game plan against MSU last year that enabled Penix to have a huge completion streak in the game. But I do agree we need to limit their time on the field and score touchdowns not field goals. On defense we need to play closer to the line of scrimmage on covering Moore because he is most dangerous catching a short and turning it into a long gain.if he does catch a short pass we need to get as many rallying to the ball as fast as possible.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
Can you elaborate on why Rondale on his own doesn’t scare you that much? He was a stud even before he had a weapon beside him like Bell. Curious on your rationale.
I don't believe that a WR is likely to beat you ON HIS OWN. I mean, if he's heavily targeted, he'll get 8-10 touches. And they're not all going to go for 25 yards or TDs. I reserve that kind of anxiety for top flight QBs or RBs. I have been very clear that I think Moore is an absolutely fabulous athlete that, as a college football fan, I am happy to get to see play, at least 8 games this year.

But that's why I also said that I was considerably Moore nervous (see what I did there?), BECAUSE he'll have Bell & Brohm's playcalling. Bell is good enough & Brohm is smart enough to call plays that will make it be a "pick your poison" situation or where the IU defense is going to have to come in ready to go to work.

I hope this makes sense. I was not trying to talk down about Moore at all.

I don't believe that a WR is likely to beat you ON HIS OWN. I mean, if he's heavily targeted, he'll get 8-10 touches. And they're not all going to go for 25 yards or TDs. I reserve that kind of anxiety for top flight QBs or RBs. I have been very clear that I think Moore is an absolutely fabulous athlete that, as a college football fan, I am happy to get to see play, at least 8 games this year.

But that's why I also said that I was considerably Moore nervous (see what I did there?), BECAUSE he'll have Bell & Brohm's playcalling. Bell is good enough & Brohm is smart enough to call plays that will make it be a "pick your poison" situation or where the IU defense is going to have to come in ready to go to work.

I hope this makes sense. I was not trying to talk down about Moore at all.

All good points and I appreciate the explanation. I would argue that he beat you on his own two years ago in Bloomington though. But him and Bell together will be fun to watch no doubt.

To me the key matchup is not Bell vs IU or Moore vs IU. It is the ability of IU to hurry, pressure, hit, and sack the Purdue QB. You can have Jerry Rice and Calvin Johnson out there, but if they cannot get a ball thrown near them, they might as well be on the sidelines.

Brohm has (in the past) always had great game plans for IU. Hopefully this year, our defensive game plan exceeds Brohm's offensive one.

If both teams are healthy for the bucket game it should be a very good game with two very good offenses and at least one very good defense maybe two by that time of the year. IU has some very good young receivers that could surprise Purdue.

Purdue's stock has been trending down, down, down ever since Auburn shelled you people in Nashville!! Indiana's stock has been trending up and that looks to remain the case with Allen's recruiting and overall improvement.

The main thing Purdue currently has over Indiana is they play a Big Ten Lite schedule....That certainly needs to be changed because I don't agree with artificially propping up Purdue or Minnesota due to these silly divisions that are completely out of balance. It's embarrassing, hard to believe that so called educated people could even put this idea on paper...

Purdue's stock has been trending down, down, down ever since Auburn shelled you people in Nashville!! Indiana's stock has been trending up and that looks to remain the case with Allen's recruiting and overall improvement.

The main thing Purdue currently has over Indiana is they play a Big Ten Lite schedule....That certainly needs to be changed because I don't agree with artificially propping up Purdue or Minnesota due to these silly divisions that are completely out of balance. It's embarrassing, hard to believe that so called educated people could even put this idea on paper...

You’re putting entirely too much emphasis on one postseason game. Last year was due to an unbelievable streak of injuries to key players. ‘21 class has some work to do but the ‘22 class is off to a fantastic start.

You’re putting entirely too much emphasis on one postseason game. Last year was due to an unbelievable streak of injuries to key players. ‘21 class has some work to do but the ‘22 class is off to a fantastic start.
Part of the negative outlook about PU football is about the first three games last year before injuries hit PU hard. It is hard to justify being a good team and losing those games.

Part of the negative outlook about PU football is about the first three games last year before injuries hit PU hard. It is hard to justify being a good team and losing those games.
Its extremely hard to see the injury excuse as a valid excuse when a completely healthy team lost to nevada. And no traveling to the west coast isnt an excuse plenty of other east teams travel to the west coast and win. And then while still mostly healthy got beat down by TCU pretty bad. They were 1-2 while still mostly healthy.

And lets be honest by end of the year what team is healthy yes purdue took more than most but IU in the bucket game was down there stud RB, future NFL lineman cronk, starting QB, linebacker allen, and RG stepniak. And im sure there was probably a couple more

Its extremely hard to see the injury excuse as a valid excuse when a completely healthy team lost to nevada. And no traveling to the west coast isnt an excuse plenty of other east teams travel to the west coast and win. And then while still mostly healthy got beat down by TCU pretty bad. They were 1-2 while still mostly healthy.

And lets be honest by end of the year what team is healthy yes purdue took more than most but IU in the bucket game was down there stud RB, future NFL lineman cronk, starting QB, linebacker allen, and RG stepniak. And im sure there was probably a couple more

No excuse losing to Nevada but that was still only one game. Against TCU we had just lost our best defender/NFL pick for the season which left a huge hole at LB. Sindelar didn’t play either and Plummer made his first ever start against TCU. Two injuries to two pretty key guys on the team.

IU had major injuries as well and still made it to a bowl they should have won. Your excuses ring hollow.

If both teams are healthy for the bucket game it should be a very good game with two very good offenses and at least one very good defense maybe two by that time of the year. IU has some very good young receivers that could surprise Purdue.

Both teams fully healthy...IU still wins and in regulation. The PU injury sobbing is waaaay overblown.

No excuse losing to Nevada but that was still only one game. Against TCU we had just lost our best defender/NFL pick for the season which left a huge hole at LB. Sindelar didn’t play either and Plummer made his first ever start against TCU. Two injuries to two pretty key guys on the team.
If brohm wants to be remembered as one of the greats in football he needs to stop losing early season games to teams beneath his teams talent level. Eastern Michigan, Rutgers, Nevada etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT