ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to that Hoosier Grandaddy guy?

Hoosier Grandaddy

Hall of Famer
Sep 4, 2001
It was the week before Thanksgiving..So I was minding my own business and bent over to pick up a gallon of milk at Kroger's. As I grabbed it, I felt a "pop" and began experiencing a dull ache in my chest. No pain down the arm or up the neck, and no nausea. Nevertheless, when I got home we decided to call 911.

The rescue squad checked my blood pressure and an ekg, and determined that whatever it was, it wasn't a heart attack. So they drove without lights or siren to St. Vincent's. Once in the ER, things went smoothly until they took a CAT scan. Then it got very busy.

Turns out I had a dissection of the ascending and descending aorta and a tear in the aorta valve. The surgeon came in and briskly told us this called for immediate surgery, and there was a 25% chance I wouldn't survive the procedure., He added that this figure increased by 10% for each hour that passed.

A seven hour surgery followed. It went well and he repaired two aneurysms while he was in there. My recovery was smooth for the first week, and I was scheduled to go home in another 3 or 4 days.

I developed respiratory failure and spent another 2 weeks at St. V before being transferred to Seton Hospital. I spent the next several weeks on a ventilator, drugged into a stupor. In the middle of February I was released to go to the Rehab Hospital. I was weak as a kitten from spending 3 months in bed.

I don';t remember more than 20 minutes from Thanksgiving to February. My wife assures me that that is for the best. But it was only in reading the papers last week that I learned of IU's performance in Maui and at Duke.

Anyway, I'm home now and walking with a walker.

If you've read this far, here's a reward:
19267902_sHUzz.jpeg

19267908_2Z6ta.jpeg

19292382_wNhZu.jpeg
19306546_KvBMV.jpeg

19322491_mwASB.jpeg

19315255_KD7Ro.jpeg

Damn, that's crazy. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Hopefully you get back to full strength soon.

Glad to hear your back. I'd gladly give you my spot in the AOTF tournament. I'm certainly not gonna win so might as well guilt everyone into voting for you.

Really great to hear from you. Unlike these heathens I was throwing some prayers to the man upstairs...

It was the week before Thanksgiving..So I was minding my own business and bent over to pick up a gallon of milk at Kroger's. As I grabbed it, I felt a "pop" and began experiencing a dull ache in my chest. No pain down the arm or up the neck, and no nausea. Nevertheless, when I got home we decided to call 911.

The rescue squad checked my blood pressure and an ekg, and determined that whatever it was, it wasn't a heart attack. So they drove without lights or siren to St. Vincent's. Once in the ER, things went smoothly until they took a CAT scan. Then it got very busy.

Turns out I had a dissection of the ascending and descending aorta and a tear in the aorta valve. The surgeon came in and briskly told us this called for immediate surgery, and there was a 25% chance I wouldn't survive the procedure., He added that this figure increased by 10% for each hour that passed.

A seven hour surgery followed. It went well and he repaired two aneurysms while he was in there. My recovery was smooth for the first week, and I was scheduled to go home in another 3 or 4 days.

I developed respiratory failure and spent another 2 weeks at St. V before being transferred to Seton Hospital. I spent the next several weeks on a ventilator, drugged into a stupor. In the middle of February I was released to go to the Rehab Hospital. I was weak as a kitten from spending 3 months in bed.

I don';t remember more than 20 minutes from Thanksgiving to February. My wife assures me that that is for the best. But it was only in reading the papers last week that I learned of IU's performance in Maui and at Duke.

19267902_sHUzz.jpeg

19267908_2Z6ta.jpeg

19292382_wNhZu.jpeg
19306546_KvBMV.jpeg

19322491_mwASB.jpeg

19315255_KD7Ro.jpeg

Damn. Good luck in your recovery.

19267902_sHUzz.jpeg

19267908_2Z6ta.jpeg

19292382_wNhZu.jpeg
19306546_KvBMV.jpeg

19322491_mwASB.jpeg

19315255_KD7Ro.jpeg

Sucks it happened, but I'm happy to hear from you.

God bless and good luck with the recovery.

You da' man you old mutha fukka !!! Great to hear you are on the mend! Take care of yourself. No more gallons of milk. Stick to quarts.

McHoop

Reactions: IU40IU
Welcome back and glad you're recovering well.

Might I suggest from now on:
81s3JiCKAbL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Bredo
Glad you are back and getting better !

With this much time on your hands, searching for more Hotness will help the motor skills come back!

Reactions: kkott
Welcome back. Scary sh!t man. My dad spent a couple weeks at St. Vincent's last summer. We were on the way back from a short vacation in Tennessee where he hadn't been feeling good. He thought he had food poisoning, but I told him I doubted it and wanted him to get to a hospital.

When he and my mom were driving around Indy he started to sweat profusly and passed out. My mom called me. We were driving about 20 minutes behind them. She was scared as hell and thought he had died. He didn't, obviously. She called 911 and he was taken to St. Vincents. It turned out that he had pancreatitis. Anyway, that's a first class facility, and I'll be forever grateful to the EMTs and St. Vincents' staff. This could have been a lot worse. My dad had his aortic valve replaced at the Cleveland clinic about 7 years prior, so we were concerned that it could have been a heart problem like yours. Glad they took good care of you too.

19267902_sHUzz.jpeg

19267908_2Z6ta.jpeg

19292382_wNhZu.jpeg
19306546_KvBMV.jpeg

19322491_mwASB.jpeg

19315255_KD7Ro.jpeg

Congratulations on making it home and for news of Maui/Duke not putting you back in the hospital when, if all of peegs.com were in a similar condition, that month-long stretch would've resulted in mass casualties of posters.

19267902_sHUzz.jpeg

19267908_2Z6ta.jpeg

19292382_wNhZu.jpeg
19306546_KvBMV.jpeg

19322491_mwASB.jpeg

19315255_KD7Ro.jpeg
Welcome back! I'm glad you are on the mend. I see your eye for talent hasn't been diminished by your hospital stay!

19267902_sHUzz.jpeg

19267908_2Z6ta.jpeg

19292382_wNhZu.jpeg
19306546_KvBMV.jpeg

19322491_mwASB.jpeg

19315255_KD7Ro.jpeg
The reward was what you posted prior to that you old fart. You had a very concerned AOTF and there were more than a few posts since we first heard of your hospitalization inquiring as to how you were doing. Very happy to hear you're on the mend and doing well. That's one helluva injury to your aorta and I'd be curious as to how in the hell something like that happens from simply bending over. That's sum crazy $hit. Glad you're back.

Congratulations on making it home and for news of Maui/Duke not putting you back in the hospital when, if all of peegs.com were in a similar condition, that month-long stretch would've resulted in mass casualties of posters.

That was my thought....after 3 months he wakes up and they deliver news of Maui and the Duke game?!?

That's like shock therapy or something.

A seven hour surgery followed.
Were those the odds at the beginning of the surgery, end of surgery, or split the difference? Sound like you had already killed 10-20% with the slow ambuLance. So you were at 50/50 at best. I'm glad you lived to tell the tale ... and remembered your Peegs password.

What are the odds you remember this post next week?

Lesson: Always tell the EMTs to step on it since they don't really know shit.

Reactions: hoosierdug
That's one helluva injury to your aorta and I'd be curious as to how in the hell something like that happens from simply bending over.

They say it's hereditary. I had a cardiac workup a couple of years ago, including a heart cath, and got a clean bill of health .Apparently the combination of bending near the floor and the negligible weight of the milk was enough to pop the weak spot. It's the same thing that happened to John Ritter, but he didn't make it to the hospital.

Speaking of hospitals, the bills aren't all in, but the 3 weeks at St.V alone cost half a million dollars. The final tab will be north of 2 million.

Reactions: Moops
That's one helluva injury to your aorta and I'd be curious as to how in the hell something like that happens from simply bending over. That's sum crazy $hit. Glad you're back.
Guessing his aorta was probably about to pop and that move pushed him over. I can vouch for what he said about the odds. My first job out of high school was as a nursing assistant in surgery, which I did for several years. Part of the job was to be on call for emergencies, and I was called in for many an aortic anyerism Y-graft procedure. A lot of patients didn't make it off the table. Often I'd get to the hospital and they hadn't made it long enough to get them up to the OR. He's right, the timing is absolutely critical.

Reactions: hoosierdug
You're recovery post needs more black and white photos....just sayin...

But, I get it, your out of form, and need to get back in game shape, so you get a free pass.

This time.

Glad you're back with this wretched hive of scum and villainy - you were missed.

I would have prayed for you, but that would have worked against you.

19267902_sHUzz.jpeg

19267908_2Z6ta.jpeg

19292382_wNhZu.jpeg
19306546_KvBMV.jpeg

19322491_mwASB.jpeg

19315255_KD7Ro.jpeg

Welcome back!

When your wife posted here, I figured she saw what kind of degenerates and debauchery you were involved with, and took you out at the hospital with a pillow.

Glad you ain't dead!

Also glad to hear its possible to survive an aortic aneurism. Got me one they watch every so often. If it ever breaks, I'm posting full frontal before I leave for the hospital.
In the mean time, here's some full backal:

For the 1st round WIN:
tumblr_n3z7w9lJVq1swv68oo1_500.jpg

In your current condition, it would be completely understandable if you were confused about the rules and posted nipples or full frontal......I doubt the mods would even be upset.

I'm interested in how they missed something like that in your cardiac exam that you had 2 years ago. My understanding was that those things develope over a considerable amount of time and don't just pop up quickly.......

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Holy cow! That's nuts. Both the cause and the tab. So glad you're ok. So you're basically a lottery winner. Well done. Take care of that ticker.

Welcome back HGD! It's great to see you posting again. If you do a search in the AOTF, you'll see that a lot of folks were asking about/worried about you. That's a hell of thing you went through. Hope your wife is doing okay, too.

I feel like I should make some sort of boobs/milk connotation here, but I don't think I'm in the playoffs, so it would be a bit of a waste.

Welcome back HGD! Glad you are back! After Maui and Duke, this team actually became fun to watch again. Shared ball, played more D than they had, and developed some toughness. Here's to hoping you get to watch 6 more games this year!

ADVERTISEMENT