ADVERTISEMENT

What won’t college football players be paid for?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
I am not being facetious. I think it’s only a matter of time before, in addition to giving players walking around money, what won’t college football players be paid for? Folks will figure out how to give athletes college credits for making money. They will call it some kind of marketing class in the business school. If North Carolina can grant it’s basketball players 4.0 averages when they don’t have to take a single test or go to a single class, nothing is unimaginable.

The reality is that the average 18-year-old is stupid enough to think that they are a professional athlete if some local car dealership is giving them $50 a month. And then if they’re not playing they might decide to transfer to a program where the local car dealer will give them $100 a month.

Someone made a post earlier about athletes getting paid to sign autographs. I imagine a year from now everybody will be doing that. Hell, when Bill McCartney was the Colorado Buffalos head coach he looked the other way when the quarterback got his daughter pregnant. This likeness thing is going to spiral out of control very quickly.

Last edited:
I am not being facetious. I think it’s only a matter of time before, in addition to giving playersWhat won’t college football players be paid for? IpFolks will figure out how to give athletes college credits for making money. They will call it some kind of marketing class in the business school. If North Carolina can grant it’s basketball players 4.0 averages when they don’t have to take a single test or go to a single class, nothing is unimaginable.

The reality is that the average 18-year-old is stupid enough to think that they are a professional athlete if some local car dealership is giving them $50 a month. And then if they’re not playing they might decide to transfer to a program where the local car dealer will give them $100 a month.

Someone made a post earlier about athletes getting paid to sign autographs. I imagine a year from now everybody will be doing that. Hell, when Bill McCartney was the Colorado Buffalos head coach he looked the other way when the quarterback got his daughter pregnant. This likeness thing is going to spiral out of control very quickly.
Well I hope he looked the other way. It would have been pretty awkward if he watched.

I am not being facetious. I think it’s only a matter of time before, in addition to giving playersWhat won’t college football players be paid for? IpFolks will figure out how to give athletes college credits for making money. They will call it some kind of marketing class in the business school. If North Carolina can grant it’s basketball players 4.0 averages when they don’t have to take a single test or go to a single class, nothing is unimaginable.

Companies will either get value from paying these kids or they won't. If they don't, the kids won't paid. I still maintain that the stars will make money but nobody else will. Just like in pro football. The average pro athlete doesn't have any endorsements.

The $100 handshakes aren't going to stop whether NIL is a hit or not.

Boosters give money to the University because they believe it will help the University field better teams. I would not be surprised if many of these same people determine that they will get a bigger bang for their buck if they figure out how to get the money directly to the athletes.

I can see people making donations to a local Chamber of Commerce which then is in charge of doling out funds to players.

I think you raise an interesting problem/issue. As part of a school’s recruiting pitch:
1. Our car dealer will give you $500/month and the use of a new car.
2. Our pizza store will give you $500/ month and 10 free pizzas.
3. Etc
So the recruit says, “ but I was offered $750 by xxx school. And the shoe guy is going to give me 10K if I sign with xxx. What will you do?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT