ADVERTISEMENT

What will you do in the absence of sports

vesuvius13

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 11, 2017
I am interested in how people are going to handle the lack of sports and news about teams over the next few months. I will spend more time at the dog park with my dog enjoying Spring weather. What will the rest of you do during this time.

I am 64 years old and have type two diabetes. I’ve had it for about five years and after about two months I realized I didn’t need to take any medication as long as I eat very healthy, seriously restrict simple carbohydrates and sugar and try to get a good bit of exercise. I dropped my blood pressure and a good number of pounds.

I haven’t been as diligent as I was before for about a year or so. My plan is to renew my efforts to put myself in the best position that I can to fight the coronavirus. And then follow the advice suggested as how to avoid it.

I am 64 years old and have type two diabetes. I’ve had it for about five years and after about two months I realized I didn’t need to take any medication as long as I eat very healthy, seriously restrict simple carbohydrates and sugar and try to get a good bit of exercise. I dropped my blood pressure and a good number of pounds.

I haven’t been as diligent as I was before for about a year or so. My plan is to renew my efforts to put myself in the best position that I can to fight the coronavirus. And then follow the advice suggested as how to avoid it.
Good luck renewing your efforts as they really help with diabetes.

Reactions: red hornet
I am interested in how people are going to handle the lack of sports and news about teams over the next few months. I will spend more time at the dog park with my dog enjoying Spring weather. What will the rest of you do during this time.
Well, we just got done replacing the water pipes and duct insulation, installing a french drain and sump pump and soda blasting the joists and underflooring, all in our crawl space, plus encapsulating the crawl space. Here in the ATL it's spring, and both MrsSope and I are home for the next 2 weeks because her school is closed for that time . . .

. . . looks like a deep cleaning of the house is in order, all the way down to washing the walls and cabinets.

Good luck renewing your efforts as they really help with diabetes.

A very good friend is a teaching doctor at the University of Florida. He advised me that he most likely would have to be on medication for the rest of my life. After doing a little bit of Google research I told him that I was going to give it 60 days Super healthy eating and exercise. My blood pressure has been 140/90 for years.

Every goal that I set was for a single day. I did not check my weigt or measure my blood pressure until day 27. I think I have lost about 5 pounds but I finally got on the scale. But the more important thing was that I took my blood pressure from 140/90 to 117/75.
Here in southern Florida we are bombarded with information and commercials about treating diabetes. It’s all about new medications. Virtually nothing is said about diet and exercise. And the reason for that is doctors haven’t figured out how to make money by telling people How to lead a healthy lifestyle.

I’m now back in my old routine. Oatmeal with berries. Cheese omelets with salsa. Chicken and dark green vegetables. If I have a sweet tooth I’ll go with frozen berries. Don’t run out of food in town so did you go out shopping with food craving. I might have a drink but I’m not gonna keep alcohol at home. Absolutely no juice ever. No processed food. No simple carbohydrates. No starches. No junk food.

After about a week cravings are pretty much gone. Sometimes I go off the wagon for a little while and then I’ll take me about a week to back on track.

My blood glucose numbers never return to normal. But they are close.

I haven’t taken medication in years other than occasionally taking a single pill after a night of pizza and beer

Well, we just got done replacing the water pipes and duct insulation, installing a french drain and sump pump and soda blasting the joists and underflooring, all in our crawl space, plus encapsulating the crawl space. Here in the ATL it's spring, and both MrsSope and I are home for the next 2 weeks because her school is closed for that time . . .

. . . looks like a deep cleaning of the house is in order, all the way down to washing the walls and cabinets.

I did the total knee 18 months ago and would highly recommend it. Never felt better. Mine was caused by an accident but still it was the perfect response. Don't hesitate. If you do it we need to talk off line, I know of the best therapy machine for it. Did lot of research brought it in from out of state. My doc was very impressed.

As much as we love football this shut down may get enough of us to focus on the good things in life to change things we always wanted to change. It is encouraging to hear of the weight loss efforts and results. Focusing on hiking, fishing, or hunting can help us recenter our lives. Finishing honey do list helps your spouses value your efforts and hopefully brings you closer together.

Wow you were knocking out the projects.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Try to survive. I'm probably about to be unemployed, hopefully temporarily, but who knows at this point?

Last edited:
Not playing basketball is going to be really tough for me as that is my 100% source of exercise and outlet for stress. I guess I'm going to try to get into running.

When I was younger whenever I would get into running it always would end with back or knee problems. There’s a lot to be said about biking, particularly as we get a little older.

1. Build a gazebo/ pergola off the back porch.
2. Binge watch about 8 different series I’ve got going on. Anxiously awaiting “Ozark” Season 3.
3. Join a radical cult or start one. We need a new Warren Jeffs to spice things up during this lull.

One of the goofiest things I saw last night was a women’s wrestling (GLOW) Super Smackdown event going on. They were looking out into the arena waving their arms to incite the crowd and the were no fans. Lol

Try to survive. I'm probably about to be unemployed, hopefully temporarily, but who knows at this point?
Best of luck and I hope you're able to hang onto your job. The financial fallout from this pandemic is going to be devastating. Some experts say we're already in a recession. Hopefully things don't ever transition to the "D" word.

Wow you were knocking out the projects.
Yep. Had some allergic reactions to the gas a little bit of mold was emitting from the crawl space, so we sunk some cash into alleviating those issues. Next will be upgrading the HVAC system with an intake pipe direct from outside, an air purifier and a whole house dehumidifier for the house (we installed one in the crawl space as part of the encapsulation project) plus an upgraded thermostat for the house.

MrsSope is facing some fairly serious surgery in the next 6 months, so I want the house as healthy as we can get it.

Don't let them put you on Metformin. I was on it and developed kidney cancer. After they found the cancer, they immediately took me off Metformin because it's bad for the kidneys.

Wish they would have emphasized that before I started taking it, although they did test kidney functions regularly.

Don't let them put you on Metformin. I was on it and developed kidney cancer. After they found the cancer, they immediately took me off Metformin because it's bad for the kidneys.

Wish they would have emphasized that before I started taking it, although they did test kidney functions regularly.
I could have gone all month without hearing that word (Metformin) again. That is a horrible drug. They put me on it specifically because it's supposed to be easy on the kidneys (and incredibly cheap). I donated a kidney in 2009 so they are always conscious of what they prescribe for me. Until 3 years ago, I wasn't on anything. Now I have high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, acid reflux, a balky lower back, sleep apnea, and type-2 diabetes. It's totally a bitch to get old. Desperately need to get some more exercise, but now I'm reluctant to join a club. Anyway, the Met just about killed me with the nearly constant diarrhea. Guess I'm very fortunate that I demanded a replacement (Januvia) before I got what you got. Hope you're doing well now.

I could have gone all month without hearing that word (Metformin) again. That is a horrible drug. They put me on it specifically because it's supposed to be easy on the kidneys (and incredibly cheap). I donated a kidney in 2009 so they are always conscious of what they prescribe for me. Until 3 years ago, I wasn't on anything. Now I have high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, acid reflux, a balky lower back, sleep apnea, and type-2 diabetes. It's totally a bitch to get old. Desperately need to get some more exercise, but now I'm reluctant to join a club. Anyway, the Met just about killed me with the nearly constant diarrhea. Guess I'm very fortunate that I demanded a replacement (Januvia) before I got what you got. Hope you're doing well now.

Here’s what I’m hearing you say or imply. Whereas you know that exercise is an important tool in fighting diabetes you’re consciously not getting exercise. Maybe you’re too busy at work or have other obligations. You make no mention of what foods you are eating - or avoiding. I’m guessing you’re eating a lot of things that you should not be. If so your medication is only suppressing the problem and not solving anything.

Are you carrying too much weight? That could explain your high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, acid reflux, sleep apnea, and lower back pain.

Are you eating simple carbohydrates? Complex carbohydrates? Starches? Sugar? Juice? Red meat? Fish? Fruit? Alcohol? Caffeine? Processed foods? Do you smoke?

If you drink a 12 ounce glass of orange juice every day that is 72,000 calories a year from sugar. About 60 cups of sugar! Where as we grew up being told that orange juice is a healthy way to start your day, the reality is you shouldn’t drink it ever.

Have you educated yourself about the difference between simple carbohydrates and complex carbohydrates? Takes about 10 minutes on Google to figure it out.

Most of the people who have diabetes that I talk to don’t know the difference between a complex carbohydrate in a simple carbohydrate. They go to a doctor every three months and get their blood glucose level checked and if their numbers have increased the doctor changes the medication.

if you exercise and eat healthy you might not need some or all of these medications you’re taking. Medications treat the symptoms but not the problem. As I mentioned above doctors don’t make any money telling you to eat healthy and exercise.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

First, I regret taking this thread further off the topic.

I am truly sorry that you developed kidney cancer. My father succumbed to that disease.

I am on Metformin and with my family history I took your comments very seriously but after doing a google search, I can find no evidence to a link between metformin and kidney cancer. Do you have a link? Actually, I found the exact opposite. Several studies show a positive effect of metformin in patients with RCC (renal cell carcinoma).

Once again, I am sorry that you contracted that disease.

Reading a couple books I received for Christmas, walking our 3 dogs more than ever to get them tired and talking with my wife, kids more.

Sports-wise, watched BTN's Big Ten Elites, '89 UM, '05 Illini and '87 Hoosiers Friday night.

Best of luck and I hope you're able to hang onto your job. The financial fallout from this pandemic is going to be devastating. Some experts say we're already in a recession. Hopefully things don't ever transition to the "D" word.
Thanks, I won't lose my job, but a long layoff could be catastrophic, unfortunately. I'm hoping there will be a lot of financial forgiveness, or prorating of basic bills(mortgages/rent, utilities, water, medical bills, etc. etc. Not ot mention my employer paying us while we're off, right now they're paying 1 week, & we're closed for at least 2, per the announcement, but I'm afraid the possibilities are for much longer, but we will see.

Well..., I'll be constructing my "hasty" redout... I'm leaning towards a triangle with points versus a star configuration...;) Then I'll allocate a decent amount of time for "Snapping In"...;):cool:

Actually..., since I missed out on the great TP rush I'll spend much of my time scouring the yard for decent size downed leaves...:rolleyes::confused:

All that said, I'm actually taking the situation seriously and staying home whenever possible and catching up on multiple projects...

Stay Smart, & Stay Healthy!

Last edited:
Thanks, I won't lose my job, but a long layoff could be catastrophic, unfortunately. I'm hoping there will be a lot of financial forgiveness, or prorating of basic bills(mortgages/rent, utilities, water, medical bills, etc. etc. Not ot mention my employer paying us while we're off, right now they're paying 1 week, & we're closed for at least 2, per the announcement, but I'm afraid the possibilities are for much longer, but we will see.
Not sure if this might help, but locally (suburban Atlanta) Krogers is hiring restocking workers. Maybe that's an option where you live, on a temporary basis to help slow the bleeding a bit.

Here's hoping!

Reading a couple books I received for Christmas, walking our 3 dogs more than ever to get them tired and talking with my wife, kids more.

Sports-wise, watched BTN's Big Ten Elites, '89 UM, '05 Illini and '87 Hoosiers Friday night.
Still taking my wife and granddaughter on a planned spring break trip to visit our daughter in Texas but we will limit activities while there to things that can be done outdoors or apart from crowds. Only one night in a hotel on the trip down so hopefully any potential to exposure will be pretty remote.

If schools are still closed at the end of the scheduled break and I'm home for extended time, I have lots of projects around the property to tackle. Getting ready for a building addition to start later in the summer so lots of prep work if the Indiana weather will cooperate.

Not sure if this might help, but locally (suburban Atlanta) Krogers is hiring restocking workers. Maybe that's an option where you live, on a temporary basis to help slow the bleeding a bit.

Here's hoping!
Thanx! There's a Kroger not too far away, & I'd be willing to do just about anything temporarily as long as it's permitted under the martial law that we're about to be under. Not really, but something like that is possible, if not likely.

Thanx! There's a Kroger not too far away, & I'd be willing to do just about anything temporarily as long as it's permitted under the martial law that we're about to be under. Not really, but something like that is possible, if not likely.
Make no mistake. This is martial law. When they can ban groups of 100 or so getting together for assembly, that's the very definition of martial law. And all without a vote by anyone.

When this is all over, there is going to be a wrecked economy that will take a long time to recover. And I predict the virus will not be nearly as lethal as predicted.

I feel for you and your position. Hang in there and hope people come to their senses soon.

try Census taker.

Reactions: mk23
Make no mistake. This is martial law. When they can ban groups of 100 or so getting together for assembly, that's the very definition of martial law. And all without a vote by anyone.

When this is all over, there is going to be a wrecked economy that will take a long time to recover. And I predict the virus will not be nearly as lethal as predicted.

I feel for you and your position. Hang in there and hope people come to their senses soon.
LMAO...who would be qualified to vote on banning assembly?

Thanx, & I know it's not very lethal, that's very frustrating too. Restrictions could be on people over 65 or 70 & people with underlying health conditions, such as they isolate themselves for a period of time or whatnot For the rest of us, which is basically 80+% of the population, this is literally like a Flu virus, actually milder for many of us. Very frustrating.

Netflix.....lots of Netflix.....
Yep. Me too. Watched "The Highwaymen" tonight then spent some time online researching the principal characters and the accuracy of the story. Highly recommend if you have Netflix and haven't watched it.

Hopefully I'll devote some time to reading some of the books I've been intending to get to as well.

Thanx, & I know it's not very lethal, that's very frustrating too. Restrictions could be on people over 65 or 70 & people with underlying health conditions, such as they isolate themselves for a period of time or whatnot For the rest of us, which is basically 80+% of the population, this is literally like a Flu virus, actually milder for many of us. Very frustrating.
I don't know why the "experts" that have been studying infectious diseases all their lives at world class institutions, from all over the world, and who minimized the loss of life and scope of past outbreaks like Ebola and SARS, didn't think of that?

I sincerely hope that nobody you know is affected by this disease, and I am keeping my thirty-something self at home to try to ensure that they don't.

I don't know why the "experts" that have been studying infectious diseases all their lives at world class institutions, from all over the world, and who minimized the loss of life and scope of past outbreaks like Ebola and SARS, didn't think of that?

I sincerely hope that nobody you know is affected by this disease, and I am keeping my thirty-something self at home to try to ensure that they don't.
We ALL know someone who is affected by this, just like we all know someone who's been affected buy Influenza A & B, & Pneumonia, & double Pneumonia, & Emphysema, & other Coronaviruses, & the common friggin' cold, etc. etc, etc, I sincerely hope that you know that. FFS, 8,000 people have now died from this worldwide, 8,000 out of 8 billion. & that is a tragedy. ABSOLUTELY it is, but all deaths via illness are tragedies. I'm sorry, I must be out of my mind, but that just doesn't ring of a catastrophic human health hazard to me. & yes I know, that # will grow, it might reach what 25,000? This talk I've seen on the news networks that as many as 2.1 million Americans could die is just insane, to the point of irresponsibility, imo. China lost 3,200 people, CHINA,with it's population of 1.3 Billion. Are you aware of how many people die EACH MONTH from Cancer, or Heart disease? My point is, let's have some perspective here.

Last edited:
We ALL know someone who is affected by this, just like we all know someone who's been affected buy Influenza A & B, & Pneumonia, & double Pneumonia, & Emphysema, & other Coronaviruses, & the common friggin' cold, etc. etc, etc, I sincerely hope that you know that. FFS, 8,000 people have now died from this worldwide, 8,000 out of 8 billion. & that is a tragedy. ABSOLUTELY it is, but all deaths via illness are tragedies. I'm sorry, I must be out of my mind, but that just doesn't ring of a catastrophic human health hazard to me. & yes I know, that # will grow, it might reach what 25,000? This talk I've seen on the news networks that as many as 2.1 million Americans could die is just insane, to the point of irresponsibility, imo. China lost 3,200 people, CHINA,with it's population of 1.3 Billion. Are you aware of how many people die EACH MONTH from Cancer, or Heart disease? My point is, let's have some perspective here.
There is no perspective in the media on this. None.

Reactions: kmathum and Pigalow
There is no perspective in the media on this. None.
I'm really beginning to agree, At 1st, I was all onboard, & I still am in terms of common sense, this IS an extremely contagious virus, & if you are elderly or have underlying health problems, specifically any respiratory illnesses or diabetes--then take EVERY precaution, For the rest of us, however, I'm sorry, I cannot suspend my common sense..this is a f@#$g respiratory virus--not particularly different from MANY others we've been experiencing for generations. We REALLY need to think about why we're crippling our society, soon, if this massive rush to the ER doesn't commence, & frankly, even if it does, I don't think shutting the world down is necessary, wise, or most of all--helpful enough to warrant diving into a recession. & I know people feel like, "if someone you love dies you'll feel differently", NO, I won't! Just because someone I love might die from it doesn't mean it warrants shutting down the country to prevent it! I'm not that selfish, & I REALLY wish that others weren't either

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT