ADVERTISEMENT

What will it take to get you to buy an electric car?

I could see that in the US and major Western European nations. But I see zero chance the infrastructure could possibly be in place to eliminate gasoline powered vehicles worldwide in 15 years. There will still be millions produced. The question will be what markets will allow them.
Look at 5 yr. plans for GM and Ford. They are not waiting for the Sun to come out.

Reactions: largemouth
Lucid Air is checking some boxes: Over 500 mile range, 300 miles added in 20 minutes of charging, a mind-blowing 1,080 hp, 0-60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds, zero to a quarter mile in 9.9, and it looks like a car. It's current price point is huge, though (top model >160K, base model ~75K). But it is year 1 in production. Like in 1989 when I paid 4K for an Apple computer, the economies of tech will drop that price, fairly fast.

Lucid Air is checking some boxes: Over 500 mile range, 300 miles added in 20 minutes of charging, a mind-blowing 1,080 hp, 0-60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds, zero to a quarter mile in 9.9, and it looks like a car. It's current price point is huge, though (top model >160K, base model ~75K). But it is year 1 in production. Like in 1989 when I paid 4K for an Apple computer, the economies of tech will drop that price, fairly fast.

Range, Charge Time and Price are the 3 lines that have to meet at some point.

It hits two of the 3.

Reactions: outside shooter

There are some people who believe that we are headed for a shortage of Lithium, as demand for EV's increase. I listened to a podcast a while back, don't remember exactly which one, that discussed this idea, and that at some point (once again, forget the exact time reference), he says that we will only be able to build about 10% of the needed EV's worldwide. He felt that Hydrogen was going to eventually be the resource to use.

Also discussed was the mining of Lithium. It sounded to me that coal mining was a walk in the park compared to Lithium mining.

The third topic discussed was the US relative lack of Lithium compared to China, and other parts of the world, which could prove problematic.

Below is a Forbes article from December, talking about some of those same thoughts.

Lithium

Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile SA (SQM) in Chile is the world's largest producer of Lithium. Chile has moved left and is rewriting their constitution. Lots of worry that SQM may be taken over as Venezuela did with oil companies and will trend the same way as that example.

Their 52 week hi/low is $60.74/$22.41 Have clawed their way back to the mid 40's but it's just a visualization of how fragile all this EV stuff can be. We don't control any appreciable amount the resources required for the batteries.

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1
I paid $4000 for a Apple PC in 1989. The cheapest computer you could find in the trash today would run circles around it. Technology gets better fast and gets cheaper almost as fast.

No car maker is working on new internal combustion engines. A few posts up you see the study estimating electric cars will undercut gas cars in price by 2027.

It's coming.

I’m constantly using that phrase (it’s coming) regarding a variety of technological advancements. I think it is very difficult for a lot of people to fully appreciate the exponential nature of technology. Humans are generally more attuned to linear concepts.

Is me getting to motorboat Kate Upton an option, because there are a crapload of things you could convince me to buy with that reward on the table.

Seriously though, I already own a hybrid, so the jump wouldn't be huge for me. It helps that I live in a fairly metropolitan area, so the available charging station locations are increasing significantly every year. I'm not quite there yet (price still being the biggest factor against), but if they truly are going to start coming down in price, then it will definitely be an option.

I don't buy it that wind and solar can replace the gas engine. If everybody had an electric car this technology would not be able to keep up. I'm not even sure home charging stations would be able to keep up depending on how much people drive. Of course what happens if we have a week where the sun never appears? You said battery and fast charging capability has to get more advanced. But it's not yet. That's the problem. Now if they can get the technology at an affordable level then people would buy it.
Tell us more, Professor!

Reactions: T.M.P.
Hydrocarbons aren't doing so well; they weren't in Texas when they were needed for the cold snap and they weren't on the East cost when the pipeline went down and they're setting our grandchildren up to broil. Far better we come to terms with renewable power supplies!

why not just bike?

0M5X-JNpUcld1CIGj-pBAV7XH1B4UbAz7zXAYwRjxMFcN_-s_ca6h_uMmSGBVO9aaiweR5_WOOw4vg=s1075-nd

Rock up in a ol skool steel bike and a nice pair of Nikes.

Last edited:
The Tesla roadster will be a full 50% quicker in acceleration than any production car ever made at any price, going 0-60 in 1.1 seconds. I wonder what G force that gives.

The current best is the Tesla S Plaid, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. The quickest gas-powered supercars, IIRC, can do 0-60 in about 2.0.

The Tesla roadster will be a full 50% quicker in acceleration than any production car ever made at any price, going 0-60 in 1.1 seconds. I wonder what G force that gives.

The current best is the Tesla S Plaid, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. The quickest gas-powered supercars, IIRC, can do 0-60 in about 2.0.

what could possibly go wrong.

Mazda announced a new plan dubbed the “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030.” Within the plan, they confirmed that all models including the Miata will be available as either an EV or hydrid by 2030, and most sooner than that (no hard dates, though).

In battery news, German manufacturer Customcells announced a joint venture with iconic carmaker Porsche, creating high-performance battery cells for electric sports cars.

Finally, luxury automaker Ferrari unveilled its first plug-in hybrid — the 820 HP (!) Ferrari 269 GTB. https://manofmany.com/rides/cars/ferrari-296-gtb-information

GM will learn a very expensive lesson from this. But let's keep in mind that Most Lithium Batteries Don't spontaneously Burst Into Flames.

Infrastructure. ie More charging stations.
My buddy returned from Orlando to Indiana a few months ago. He has a Tesla at his Indiana home. He met me to play golf in Evansville. After golf he figured out the charging station didn’t work. He wasn’t a happy camper.

I could see using an enclosed golf cart type thing for short runs.
Our town allows golf cards to freely run on the streets. I am seeing folks picking up a few bags of grocery items at both convenient stores and grocery stores with their carts.

Better to buy a new electric, a higher mpg ride, or keep your current gasser - from an enviro perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT