ADVERTISEMENT

What will happen in the next two weeks?

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
If IU loses to Rutgers tonight, which is more than likely, I'm interested to see what Scott Dolson and the IU brass will do in the next two weeks. Archie Miller was already on thin ice with the fan base at the beginning of the season. The relatively small segment of the fan base that was still supporting him in November has completely turned on him, which has tanked Miller's approval rating.

With Indiana State having fired a highly respected and successful coach in Greg Lansing, the powers that be in Bloomington will not be able to use the COVID-19 pandemic as cover for retaining Miller. Doing so would be an absolute public relations nightmare for the athletic department and the university as a whole.

My belief is that Dolson will fire Miller a few days after flaming out tonight in the Big Ten Tournament, but will replace him with an underwhelming hire one to two weeks after the firing.

What say you, Hoosier fans?

If IU loses to Rutgers tonight, which is more than likely, I'm interested to see what Scott Dolson and the IU brass will do in the next two weeks. Archie Miller was already on thin ice with the fan base at the beginning of the season. The relatively small segment of the fan base that was still supporting him in November has completely turned on him, which has tanked Miller's approval rating.

With Indiana State having fired a highly respected and successful coach in Greg Lansing, the powers that be in Bloomington will not be able to use the COVID-19 pandemic as cover for retaining Miller. Doing so would be an absolute public relations nightmare for the athletic department and the university as a whole.

My belief is that Dolson will fire Miller a few days after flaming out tonight in the Big Ten Tournament, but will replace him with an underwhelming hire one to two weeks after the firing.

Miller wasn’t on thin ice with most of the fan base in November and, while most IU fans want us to be better, there’s no great firestorm of protest to have him ousted now. Not to say people wouldn’t support moving on from him, but there’s no great upheaval in the fan base.

Reactions: Remain

Miller will be retained as coach. Greg Lansing was not fired. His contract was up and was not renewed.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I honestly can’t imagine them bringing Archie back just given where the IU fans I know are with regard to the program. Apathy has never been higher. People aren’t even tuning in to most of the games now. You add another season to that, with what fans do show up in Assembly Hall being angry, it’s going to be an awful environment. You gotta make a move IMO

Personally I am not really sold on what options at coach we can get right now. Coach Miller is not reaching expectations but at this point unless we can land someone like Stevens I am still seeing what Coach Miller does next year rather than throwing away millions of dollars for another unknown commodity.

With Indiana State having fired a highly respected and successful coach in Greg Lansing, the powers that be in Bloomington will not be able to use the COVID-19 pandemic as cover for retaining Miller.

This is so misleading. Greg Lansing didn't have a $10mil buyout and in fact his contract was up. It cost ISU zero money out of pocket to dump Greg Lansing. They just hired a D2 coach and are likely paying him significantly less than what they would have been paying Greg Lansing had they extended him, likely due to COVID.

Best guess.

We lose tonight.

We get NIT invite. It’ll be interesting what all the blue bloods do with their NIT invites this year. You could see IU, Kentucky, Duke, and Syracuse all in the NIT. Crazy. I think IU accepts. And loses early on.

Archie will be fired after the season I think.

No clue on the replacement. Other than it’ll likely be underwhelming. I think anyone other than Stevens, Donovan, Matta, or Beard will be underwhelming for a lot of people.

Not sure if all of this will happen exactly within 2 weeks but it’d be close. After that, lots of transfer activity lasting well into April/May.

I think transfer activity with our kids will obviously depend on Archies status. I think he’s probably more well liked than we all think. So if he’s gone, we’ll lose some. But I think there are a couple kids that will be gone if he’s gonna be back.

Best guess.

We lose tonight.

We get NIT invite. It’ll be interesting what all the blue bloods do with their NIT invites this year. You could see IU, Kentucky, Duke, and Syracuse all in the NIT. Crazy. I think IU accepts. And loses early on.

No clue on the replacement. Other than it’ll likely be underwhelming. I think anyone other than Stevens, Donovan, Matta, or Beard will be underwhelming for a lot of people.

Not sure if all of this will happen exactly within 2 weeks but it’d be close. After that, lots of transfer activity lasting well into April/May.

I think transfer activity with our kids will obviously depend on Archies status. I think he’s probably more well liked than we all think. So if he’s gone, we’ll lose some. But I think there are a couple kids that will be gone if he’s gonna be back.

If they fire Archie within two weeks, going to be a lot of down time unless Matta is ready to go to not name an underwhelming hire. Don't think there's anyway IU holds out for Donovan or Stevens until mid-May (Donovan isn't coming so not even sure why I said his name) and it's very real chance Drew is playing into early April and in that case no way Drew leaves Baylor in a year which they made at least the F4.

Reactions: Beorik
Rutgers blows our doors off tonight to end a dismal season.

Dolson eventually comes out with the dreaded "vote of confidence" in AM. He's back next year.

We land some transfers, and are marginally better next season. Double digit seed in NCAAT.

Dolson gives AM an extension.

Book it.
That's the purgatory nightmare every IU fan should be terrified of.

Best guess.

We lose tonight.

This is certainly a realistic possibility. I keep comparing this situation to a bad marriage. Once you know you've reached the point of no return, every day spent remaining in the marriage is simply delaying the inevitable.

Scott Dolson would be foolish to retain Archie when the writing is already on the wall. It's time to cut bait and move on.

Either way wouldn't surprise me..
Still think it's far from we're searching for coaches at the moment...
A skilled, cunning Athletic Director would have begun quietly researching coaching candidates a few weeks ago when the team quit in the second half of the loss at Rutgers. After compiling a list of names, putting out feelers to the agents of the coaches in question would be the next step.

I have my doubts Dolson has done either of those things.

Lansing wasn’t renewed for personal reasons.

This is the article that probably cost him his job.

If the administration brings him back they will have to fire him in a year when the program is no better. They would just be delaying the inevitable.

And everyone is aware of that.

While I still believe they will wait for mostly C19 and POTU reasons, the alumni base is not in a good mood. Twitter, Facebook, dozens of sites like thers, Indy Star and several talk shows are wall to wall.

I have not sent any emails to Scott but I imagine his inbox is stacked and donors are calling.

This is far more intense than we witnessed with Crean so Scott is in ao tough spot.

Beating Snookie U tonight won't change this much.

A skilled, cunning Athletic Director would have begun quietly researching coaching candidates a few weeks ago when the team quit in the second half of the loss at Rutgers. After compiling a list of names, putting out feelers to the agents of the coaches in question would be the next step.

None of us knows...but I certainly hops he has been in conversations with confidants.

Miller wasn’t on thin ice with most of the fan base in November and, while most IU fans want us to be better, there’s no great firestorm of protest to have him ousted now. Not to say people wouldn’t support moving on from him, but there’s no great upheaval in the fan base.
I do not know what email the Iu ad min receives. However, I agree with you. I think the firestorm is confined to the message boards. We need him fired as next year looks worse for us.

This is so misleading. Greg Lansing didn't have a $10mil buyout and in fact his contract was up. It cost ISU zero money out of pocket to dump Greg Lansing. They just hired a D2 coach and are likely paying him significantly less than what they would have been paying Greg Lansing had they extended him, likely due to COVID.
Who did ISU hire? I just checked the Terre Haute paper and didn’t see anything.

Best guess.

We lose tonight.

Interesting post about the players opinion of Archie. I dont see how they could like him but my basis is tv, radio, print media and how I perceive him. No day to day interaction. Middle of the road guess is some stay some go either way. They did pick IU so I think more will transfer if he stays.

Interesting post about the players opinion of Archie. I dont see how they could like him but my basis is tv, radio, print media and how I perceive him. No day to day interaction. Middle of the road guess is some stay some go either way. They did pick IU so I think more will transfer if he stays.

Wouldn’t that suggest more will stay if he does?

Archie is done at IU: not an if, but when. I haven't heard a vote of confidence from Scott. None of the IU fans I know are happy with Archie and the state of the program.

Reactions: MikeHoncho69
Rutgers blows our doors off tonight to end a dismal season.

Dolson eventually comes out with the dreaded "vote of confidence" in AM. He's back next year.

We land some transfers, and are marginally better next season. Double digit seed in NCAAT.

Dolson gives AM an extension.

Book it.

If this happens then my opinion of IU basketball in a quote from the movie Rudy “hit the shits!”

Archie is done at IU: not an if, but when. I haven't heard a vote of confidence from Scott. None of the IU fans I know are happy with Archie and the state of the program.
My gut feeling is Dolson will release a statement about giving Archie the dreaded "vote of confidence" tomorrow around 5:00PM after losing to Rutgers tonight, which is the perfect time for a news dump. With conference tournaments ongoing and the NCAA Tournament starting next week, it would get buried in the news cycle.

Reactions: surjay
My gut feeling is Dolson will release a statement about giving Archie the dreaded "vote of confidence" tomorrow around 5:00PM after losing to Rutgers tonight, which is the perfect time for a news dump. With conference tournaments ongoing and the NCAA Tournament starting next week, it would get buried in the news cycle.
Uh, I don’t think *any* comments SD makes with direct bearing on AM are going unnoticed. At least in these parts.

Reactions: IUgradman
If IU comes up again with a dog performance tonight, I can’t see how he holds the job. I keep remembering two facts: one, Dolson didn’t hire Archie so no emotional tie and he, Dolson, might not want to risk his reputation by keeping the mediocrity going next year, and two, he was closely associated with Steve A on the 1987 team. Yes, Steve has had mixed success as a coach, but he would probably be able to recruit very well in the Midwest. And it’s Indiana. So . . .

That’s not how skilled athletic directors would do this.

He wasn't successful at ISU. He was in the NCAA tournament his first year, CIT the next followed by back to back NITs but no post season since. 11 years at ISU and he never won the conference and first second just once. He won 52.5% of all games and 51.5% of conference games.

I think CAM is in over his head but IU simply isn't the job it once was and no one that will really turn this program around is begging for the job. IU will retain him. If they can't get Brad Stevens or Tony Bennett - which are both pie in the sky - I can't think of another reasonable possibility to turn this program around.

He wasn't successful at ISU. He was in the NCAA tournament his first year, CIT the next followed by back to back NITs but no post season since. 11 years at ISU and he never won the conference and first second just once. He won 52.5% of all games and 51.5% of conference games.

I think CAM is in over his head but IU simply isn't the job it once was and no one that will really turn this program around is begging for the job. IU will retain him. If they can't get Brad Stevens or Tony Bennett - which are both pie in the sky - I can't think of another reasonable possibility to turn this program around.

I wasn't arguing Greg Lansing's successes or failures, simply pointing out that ISU was brave enough to fire a coach during COVID was a misrepresentation of the situation. His contract was up and they didn't have to owe him a dime. That's not the case for Indiana and Archie Miller.

One of the recruits who just announced for IU a couple weeks ago said a factor that influenced his decision pro-IU was that the players he met with like Miller.

We could give the players' opinions some credence, or I suppose we could all just believe the message boards and say the players must be wrong.

Reactions: asindc
One of the recruits who just announced for IU a couple weeks ago said a factor that influenced his decision pro-IU was that the players he met with like Miller.

We could give the players' opinions some credence, or I suppose we could all just believe the message boards and say the players must be wrong.

Depends on how slick the new AD is. Has he been behind the scenes very quietly touching base with a couple good fits? Unless you already have some real targets lined up, and have good knowledge that they are willing to negotiate, then wait until the right fit is ready. Is does no good to dump CAM, start some cockamamie search and end up with nothing better.

Fred Glass did a lot of really good things for IU sports. Some really good moves. But he muffed on the men’s BB court. He only survived as long as he did because of the other successes. Now that a lot of other things are out of the way, getting the right BB coach is top priority. He gets one shot. Maybe two, then he is toast. I just hope he has the support with $$$.

Depends on how slick the new AD is. Has he been behind the scenes very quietly touching base with a couple good fits? Unless you already have some real targets lined up, and have good knowledge that they are willing to negotiate, then wait until the right fit is ready. Is does no good to dump CAM, start some cockamamie search and end up with nothing better.

I understand this, but if IU can‘t get a better coach than Miller has been, i don’t see how waiting a year is going to make a difference. I doubt Stevens or someone like that is going to say....give me one more year. And keeping Miller can do more harm in terms of recruiting, fan support, etc.

Unless IU wins the BTT, Miller’s gotta go.

I don't think it will happen! CAM is our coach next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT