ADVERTISEMENT

What will be the next trendy offensive system in NCAA?

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
Aside from the Mike Leach disciples (air raid) & the Paul Johnson disciples (triple option), it seems like just about every school in FBS is running a lot of RPO & read option spread offense. It's just been in vogue for years now.

What's fashionable always changes though once coaches realize they can gain an advantage somehow.

So where does everyone think it goes from here?

Personally, I think as defenses continue to trade speed for size, a school is going to go the other direction on offense and go back to some "classic" offense that could take advantage of size/power over speed. Obviously it would require a creative coach who could put some creative wrinkles in a system, but I'll put a vote in for the wishbone to make a resurgence.

Naysayers might argue that it would lead to a lot of boring football. But I would counter that if the service academies have been able to put on thoroughly entertaining games with significantly less conventional players. Though I will admit that a major flaw in my idea is the disappointing results with Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. I would have expected a system that worked so well at Navy to excel with the much better talent.

You may be on to something. I have wondered how good a triple option offense would look if you had some premier athletes like Alabama or LSU running it. Add an athletic QB that can throw and you could really give defenses problems.

You may be on to something. I have wondered how good a triple option offense would look if you had some premier athletes like Alabama or LSU running it. Add an athletic QB that can throw and you could really give defenses problems.

The OL in a triple option offense are usually smaller built because a they use a cut block. It would be difficult to be able to both run and pass out of the offense. Another disadvantage to the offense is the inability to comeback from a large deficit and very hard to run a two minute offense at the end of a half or game.

You are describing college football from the late 1960s through the mid-1980s. Don't forget the tear-away jerseys.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Aside from the Mike Leach disciples (air raid) & the Paul Johnson disciples (triple option), it seems like just about every school in FBS is running a lot of RPO & read option spread offense. It's just been in vogue for years now.

What's fashionable always changes though once coaches realize they can gain an advantage somehow.

Personally, I think as defenses continue to trade speed for size, a school is going to go the other direction on offense and go back to some "classic" offense that could take advantage of size/power over speed. Obviously it would require a creative coach who could put some creative wrinkles in a system, but I'll put a vote in for the wishbone to make a resurgence.

Naysayers might argue that it would lead to a lot of boring football. But I would counter that if the service academies have been able to put on thoroughly entertaining games with significantly less conventional players. Though I will admit that a major flaw in my idea is the disappointing results with Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. I would have expected a system that worked so well at Navy to excel with the much better talent.
I agree with you for the most part. After watching what the 49ers did with the running game in the Super Bowl, I'm not sure that at some point someone will go back to a Power I or 2 Back Split Backfield. Defenses today are built on speed. You have guys with traditional safety size playing outside linebacker, and you have inside linebackers who don''t weigh 225 pounds. If you can force these lighter Defenses to Defend Power Running Game 35-40 Plays a Game and force these lighter guys inside, or force the Defense to play slower heavier guys inside for more plays, I think you have an advantage.
The problem is where do you get the parts to do this. as High Schools run more spread offense, it becomes harder to find a traditional Blocking Fullback. As they play lighter pass catching tight ends, it's harder to find an H Back type you could use as Blockers. And of course you need to find O Lineman who can drive block and move Defenders. Wisconsin is the only team I can think of that comes closest to this Model. They run a lot of 2 Back with a Traditional Tight End and two WRs. And of course they have a Line full of 315 pound Road graders. The other thing you need for this is a QB who can throw as a Drop Back Pocket Passer or with a Rolling Pocket. It isn't designed for a quick Read and Option QB.

To win in college football you need 4 things. Dominate line play on both sides of the ball is the most important thing. Next is a QB that makes smart decisions with the ball. And finally as much speed at every position as possible. For me, it's not exactly about a particular system, but rather the mentality you build within whatever system you run, and if you can control the line of scrimmage on both sides, and have a great decisions making QB that can make plays with his head, arm, and legs and then add the speed element, you are going to win the vast majority of the time.

Of the systems you mentioned, Leach got OL that could pass block as good as anyone and he had fast WRs that spread out Ds and a QB that could sling it and make good decisions.

Navy found quick, squatty OL that excelled at technique more than girth and being military, they already had a never say die attitude. And with a heady QB that made excellent reads, their offenses were extremely difficult to stop.

Paul Johnson didn't win at Georgia Tech because his OL play was bad and they couldn't control the top D lines of the ACC.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
When I was in High School in the late 1960's (Yes, I wore a Helmet when I played, although some of you may not think so from the content of my posts), one of the Teams in our Conference had the same Coaching Staff for all 4 Years and ran a Single Wing Offense. Their thought process is they wanted to run something nobody played against and force a Defense to change to play their Offense. We never had a problem Defending them, and they scored very few point against us. We blew them out 3 times and my Junior Year they played us to a tie on our Field, primarily because we fumbled the Ball 5 times inside their 20 Yard Line.

Reactions: vesuvius13
When I was in High School in the late 1960's (Yes, I wore a Helmet when I played, although some of you may not think so from the content of my posts), one of the Teams in our Conference had the same Coaching Staff for all 4 Years and ran a Single Wing Offense. Their thought process is they wanted to run something nobody played against and force a Defense to change to play their Offense. We never had a problem Defending them, and they scored very few point against us. We blew them out 3 times and my Junior Year they played us to a tie on our Field, primarily because we fumbled the Ball 5 times inside their 20 Yard Line.
I want to say some small HS kid in Ohio a few years back set the national all-time rushing record playing in the single wing.

I'd love to see a modern era coach see if they could tweak it enough to be consistently effective. But that'd be going pretty deep in the well.

The wishbone lost favor when the Oklahoma 4-3 was developed. Defensive lines shot gaps disrupting the option reads and offense had to change. No matter what you do you must have players that can execute your scheme better than the defense can attack your scheme. The advent of the pass-read offenses of today is an effort to control defensive schemes designed to pressure the QB.

IU ran a form of the single wing under Wilson with it working for one game when it surprised MD but it didn't take long for defenses to prepare to stop the offense. There is a reason that option teams don't throw the ball very well - QB spend too much time on option reads and mesh points, receivers spend more time blocking that catching passes in practice, and OL must have players that are agile being able to block LB not pass block rushers. If you run the majority of the time defense will focus on stopping the run and it will be tough to run the ball. Wisconsin does a good job running the ball and passing but when going against the top teams they find out it is tougher to do both like everyone else does.

The final reason we won't see the run heavy offenses is the blocking rules have changed and it is now easier to pass block. Wishbone and other option teams flourished under the old blocking rules. The service academies do a good job with the option but they are forced into it because of the type of athletes that make it to the schools.

Reactions: iueyedoc99 and 76-1
The wishbone lost favor when the Oklahoma 4-3 was developed. Defensive lines shot gaps disrupting the option reads and offense had to change. No matter what you do you must have players that can execute your scheme better than the defense can attack your scheme. The advent of the pass-read offenses of today is an effort to control defensive schemes designed to pressure the QB.

IU ran a form of the single wing under Wilson with it working for one game when it surprised MD but it didn't take long for defenses to prepare to stop the offense. There is a reason that option teams don't throw the ball very well - QB spend too much time on option reads and mesh points, receivers spend more time blocking that catching passes in practice, and OL must have players that are agile being able to block LB not pass block rushers. If you run the majority of the time defense will focus on stopping the run and it will be tough to run the ball. Wisconsin does a good job running the ball and passing but when going against the top teams they find out it is tougher to do both like everyone else does.

The final reason we won't see the run heavy offenses is the blocking rules have changed and it is now easier to pass block. Wishbone and other option teams flourished under the old blocking rules. The service academies do a good job with the option but they are forced into it because of the type of athletes that make it to the schools.
Two things I would add.
1. It's not just the Blocking rule Changes that favor the passing Game, it's also the way downfield Holding and Pass Interference are called that favor the Passing game. If you are within two yards of a Receiver and breath toward him or touch him with a fingernail, they throw the flag. So by throwing the Ball, even if you don't have the most accurate QB and best Receivers, you have a good probability of getting a penalty call in your favor to get a first down.
2. One of the disadvantages the Service Academies and other option run teams have is that they don't have the quality of passers and skilled Receivers to allow their Defenses to prepare well for spread Offense Teams that throw the ball all over the field. If I had a team with an efficient passing game I would throw the Ball 75% of the time and run just enough to keep the defense honest against one of these teams.

There is that old idea from College Basketball that one of the best ways to attack a Team that throws full Court presses is to full Court Press them right back, because they hate playing against the Press they are so good at putting on. This is sort of the opposite of that, force a Football Defense to cover things they can't duplicate in practice and are uncomfortable doing on the field.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Two things I would add.
1. It's not just the Blocking rule Changes that favor the passing Game, it's also the way downfield Holding and Pass Interference are called that favor the Passing game. If you are within two yards of a Receiver and breath toward him or touch him with a fingernail, they throw the flag. So by throwing the Ball, even if you don't have the most accurate QB and best Receivers, you have a good probability of getting a penalty call in your favor to get a first down.
2. One of the disadvantages the Service Academies and other option run teams have is that they don't have the quality of passers and skilled Receivers to allow their Defenses to prepare well for spread Offense Teams that throw the ball all over the field. If I had a team with an efficient passing game I would throw the Ball 75% of the time and run just enough to keep the defense honest against one of these teams.

There is that old idea from College Basketball that one of the best ways to attack a Team that throws full Court presses is to full Court Press them right back, because they hate playing against the Press they are so good at putting on. This is sort of the opposite of that, force a Football Defense to cover things they can't duplicate in practice and are uncomfortable doing on the field.

I agree with one correction: on #1 you should have added- unless you're Michigan or M$U (who evidently have much greater leeway when it comes to being called for pass interference than everyone else in the league)...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT