ADVERTISEMENT

What was the attendance like today?

VanHoosier

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2002
Have no way to watch the game from home but I listened to Fish on the radio and I heard no mention of the attendance. Just curious if the fans are coming out for a much improved football team, and on such a gorgeous day.

This was the first game I was able to listen to, sounds like we have some players. Fish and Buck certainly seem to think so.

Have no way to watch the game from home but I listened to Fish on the radio and I heard no mention of the attendance. Just curious if the fans are coming out for a much improved football team, and on such a gorgeous day.

This was the first game I was able to listen to, sounds like we have some players. Fish and Buck certainly seem to think so.
I’m sure they’ll announce a higher figure, but I’d be surprised if it was 30,000. Not a good crowd for such a nice day.

Looked thin at kickoff, better at the end of the first quarter. Not so good 4th quarter.

It’s honestly a built-in excuse with our fan base. Last week, it was the “I’m sugar, I’ll dissolve in the rain” crowd.
This week, it was the “I’m a little snowflake, I might melt today.”

Before anybody gets defensive here, If you fall into one of those groups, I saw people today in wheelchairs, geriatrics sweating it out, a woman in probably her 60s hobbling up and down the stairs in a boot/cast.

Somebody at the game asked me: “What do you think about Romeo?”
To which I replied:

“I’ll worry about Romeo when it’s his turn to play. Right now, I really like this Scott kid!”

Sorry to hurt feelings but our fan base can be mentally weak.

Sorry to hurt feelings but our fan base can be mentally weak.
I don't think they're mentally weak. I think a lot of them are just indifferent about football. Here's a good example:
Somebody at the game asked me: “What do you think about Romeo?”
To which I replied:

“I’ll worry about Romeo when it’s his turn to play. Right now, I really like this Scott kid!”

Gotta change the mindset. Basketball's great, but the season starts in November. Right now it's time to back the Football Hoosiers!

I don't think they're mentally weak. I think a lot of them are just indifferent about football. Here's a good example:

Gotta change the mindset. Basketball's great, but the season starts in November. Right now it's time to back the Football Hoosiers!

You would never hear a question like that at Michigan State, Wisconsin, Michigan or OSU. And, they appropriately shift gears when it’s time to shift gears to the next sport. They’ll have no problem packing their arenas in January and getting loud. We don’t have some kind of “patent” on basketball enthusiasm.

Reactions: echs86
How a fanbase could like college basketball more than college football is truly bizarre. There's only a few fanbases like that, unfortunately this is certainly one of them. This fanbase even thinks it's the smartest basketball people the world over...

I've always said that if IU football could produce a couple of magical seasons, the light would come on for this fanbase. I don't know though, hundreds of thousands of people who think college basketball is better than college football is pretty damn goofy.

It was sooo hot today.
I think our fan base makes so many excuses for the lack of attendance. It is funny that other stadiums can be sold out with the same conditions but here in Indiana football they make all sort of excuses. Like Colts fans if it is not perfect they don't want the roof open. It is either to sunny and the sun is in their eyes or it is to cool and windy

Reactions: pdtkkg and channi
How a fanbase could like college basketball more than college football is truly bizarre. There's only a few fanbases like that, unfortunately this is certainly one of them. This fanbase even thinks it's the smartest basketball people the world over...

I've always said that if IU football could produce a couple of magical seasons, the light would come on for this fanbase. I don't know though, hundreds of thousands of people who think college basketball is better than college football is pretty damn goofy.
How is liking basketball better bizarre here in Indiana since this state is the capital of basketball. Also the basketball program has won a lot through their history where the football program has not. Why is it fans like you who is only a football fan which I don't understand always blames everything on the basketball program. College basketball to me is way more exciting and the tournament is the best sporting event we have in this country. I would bet places like UK, UNC, Duke and KU is doing just fine being a basketball school and probably favor basketball over football. If you want to follow a football school then go ahead and find another to program to root for or just stop making excuses and back all programs at IU.

I got a lot of respect for you Andy but BB just isn't the same for many many IU fans. RMK then the next 20 years has left a bad taste in many a mouth. FB is a chance to start fresh in a way...and I am sorry but talk about BB during BB season...its FB time...which is way more exciting than BB if you look at it that way,which many do. I don't care what happened in the past and I am 67...now is all that matters. Our BB program is just about as far away from being a championship program as our FB program now. They are about equal in development. And where does the real money lie? FB baby...just win and bring them in and it will dwindle BB revenue

FB for IU has a tougher road to being a winner than the BB does...but Im not sure to me that makes it more exciting.

Reactions: Hoosier009
I got a lot of respect for you Andy but BB just isn't the same for many many IU fans. RMK then the next 20 years has left a bad taste in many a mouth. FB is a chance to start fresh in a way...and I am sorry but talk about BB during BB season...its FB time...which is way more exciting than BB if you look at it that way,which many do. I don't care what happened in the past and I am 67...now is all that matters. Our BB program is just about as far away from being a championship program as our FB program now. They are about equal in development. And where does the real money lie? FB baby...just win and bring them in and it will dwindle BB revenue

FB for IU has a tougher road to being a winner than the BB does...but Im not sure to me that makes it more exciting.
I would respectively disagree with that assessment. In the last 7 years the basketball program won two outright conference championships and made the sweet 16 3 times, With the young talented roster and a good possibility of landing the two 5 star in state prospects it looks like the program is headed in the right direction. Why can't we like both programs and not try to bash the other one just to make the other one look better.

In football we have a lot of young talent offensive playmakers who make the future look bright and the recruiting looks to be getting a lot better so the future should be bright.

Reactions: IUCol

Why would you want to dwindle the basketball revenue because that would hurt the athletic department. Why not try to root for all IU programs and hope they all are championship caliber teams. I guess for me I just like the game of basketball better and to me it is a lot more excitement and is more enjoyable to watch but I like both

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Our BB program is just about as far away from being a championship program as our FB program now. They are about equal in development.
I beg to differ. I could be wrong, but with what I saw last year in player development and insistence on team defense, my sense is that IU bball will be "back" very soon.

I like our current roster enough to expect it to be dominant in most games, if for no other reason than the depth of talent available. And that's with much of it still being Crean's recruits . . . Archie has in essence had one season to recruit - this year - and still I think IU will be highly competitive.

This says nothing about the football program . . . I am confident with the coaching staff's approach to recruiting, I like the player development I'm seeing, and I like the way they guys play with and for each other.

Finally, I think IU's bball success can help football get better faster and vice versa. We might get a guy like David Bell to commit to IU football because of the potential to play at a high level in both sports . . . and it didn't hurt to have the No. 1 2019 recruit in town to see how IU's S&C program can help rough talent refine itself into high quality performance.

It's all good.

How is liking basketball better bizarre here in Indiana since this state is the capital of basketball. Also the basketball program has won a lot through their history where the football program has not. Why is it fans like you who is only a football fan which I don't understand always blames everything on the basketball program. College basketball to me is way more exciting and the tournament is the best sporting event we have in this country.

Scott - you make some valid points and it should never be that one sport suffers at the hands of another. I would argue that the state of North Carolina may truly be the state capital of basketball and Kentucky has more claims to that tag than Indiana. Don’t confuse “passion” with success because we have fallen on hard times in this program. The problem today in our conference is that big “football” schools have been able to overtake the conference in basketball. Look at the top-25 in basketball any given week and it’s programs that play in front of big football crowds. Simple economics tells you 7 home football games at 45,000 a game is going to generate more revenue from tickets, parking and concessions than 18 home games at with 17,000. All of this revenue has been posted before and football, even with less-than-capacity at Memorial Stadium dwarfs basketball. Arguably, the past decade+, the perennial marquee name is Michigan State and now Michigan is making deep tournament runs. IU is something like 2-24 against Wisconsin. It was only a matter of time as football success allowed these schools to pump masssive money into new facilities and solid coaches. It’s no longer the same environment. IU has had a problem with football and they have to try like hell to fix that so the basketball program gets its bells and whistles too.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattndallas
Disappointed in the crowd today. Students arrived late and many of them left in the third quarter. It was damned hot.

That stadium looks great. AV systems are top notch.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
I would respectively disagree with that assessment. In the last 7 years the basketball program won two outright conference championships and made the sweet 16 3 times, With the young talented roster and a good possibility of landing the two 5 star in state prospects it looks like the program is headed in the right direction. Why can't we like both programs and not try to bash the other one just to make the other one look better.

In football we have a lot of young talent offensive playmakers who make the future look bright and the recruiting looks to be getting a lot better so the future should be bright.
First I was referring to the status of the 2 programs today...not the last 7 years...both are building or rebuilding which are virtually the same. Both can go up or fall down far. Don't get me wrong...I like Miller a lot...but Im done with BB...cant even get interested and I was a season ticket holder when we were something. But being in Btown like you, a businessman and having too much knowledge of the Trustees over the years, I did become jaded. Here in Colorado, only FB holds my interest now and I am not alone.

But that doesn't mean I wish anything but success for the BB program. My problem with BB vs FB goes way back when a faux AD focused everything on BB...and the real AD just ignored its needs because of it. You know this to be true. You were there. So was I. Miss those Boy and Girls Club dinners with the players. Learned a lot.

Now we will see if Miller and Allen can take what they have and win with it. Nothing is assured. When it is we can say BB is back and FB has started...but they look at the same starting line to me.

Last edited:
Disappointed in the crowd today. Students arrived late and many of them left in the third quarter. It was damned hot.

That stadium looks great. AV systems are top notch.

Oh, and as I turn on the other games I see large empty areas in the Stands at both mich and Wisky.

First I was referring to the status of the 2 programs today...not the last 7 years...both a building or rebuilding which are virtually the same. Bith can go up or fall down far. Don't get me wrong...I like Miller a lot...but Im done with BB...cant even get interested and I was a season ticket holder when we were something. But being in Btown like you, a businessman and having too much knowledge of the Trustees over the years, I did become jaded. Here in Colorado, only FB holds my interest now and I am not alone.

But that doesn't mean I wish anything but success for the BB program. My problem with BB vs FB goes way back when a faux AD focused everything on BB...and the real AD just ignored its needs because of it. You know this to be true. You were there. So was I. Miss those Boy and Girls Club dinners with the players. Learned a lot.

Now we will see if Miller and Allen can take what they have and win with it. Nothing is assured. When it is we can say BB is back and FB has started...but they look at the same starting line to me.
So many myths about the AD’s through the years. Lots of misinformation.

3-0. Bring on MSU.

I follow and root like heck for both programs. It does baffle me that some of our fans don’t see the importance a great football program. It can give the whole athletic dept needed funding.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989

Sections 18 & 19 empty again, crying for free tickets
to high school & grade school kids.

Last edited:
Scott - you make some valid points and it should never be that one sport suffers at the hands of another. I would argue that the state of North Carolina may truly be the state capital of basketball and Kentucky has more claims to that tag than Indiana. Don’t confuse “passion” with success because we have fallen on hard times in this program. The problem today in our conference is that big “football” schools have been able to overtake the conference in basketball. Look at the top-25 in basketball any given week and it’s programs that play in front of big football crowds. Simple economics tells you 7 home football games at 45,000 a game is going to generate more revenue from tickets, parking and concessions than 18 home games at with 17,000. All of this revenue has been posted before and football, even with less-than-capacity at Memorial Stadium dwarfs basketball. Arguably, the past decade+, the perennial marquee name is Michigan State and now Michigan is making deep tournament runs. IU is something like 2-24 against Wisconsin. It was only a matter of time as football success allowed these schools to pump masssive money into new facilities and solid coaches. It’s no longer the same environment. IU has had a problem with football and they have to try like hell to fix that so the basketball program gets its bells and whistles too.
I am talking about the state as a hole as the basketball capital starting with youth basketball to high school basketball and to college. As a whole the state is more of a basketball state than a football state was the point I was making.

First I was referring to the status of the 2 programs today...not the last 7 years...both are building or rebuilding which are virtually the same. Both can go up or fall down far. Don't get me wrong...I like Miller a lot...but Im done with BB...cant even get interested and I was a season ticket holder when we were something. But being in Btown like you, a businessman and having too much knowledge of the Trustees over the years, I did become jaded. Here in Colorado, only FB holds my interest now and I am not alone.

You are still wrong bout the basketball program which is predicted by most to finish in the top 4 of the conference and had the 10th best recruiting class in the country. We already have a 4 star committed for next year and are in very good shape for two other 5 star in state player. We have 2 of the top 7 players in the conference this year in Romeo and Morgan so I can't see where you think the basketball team is starting at the same level as the football program.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
So many myths about the AD’s through the years. Lots of misinformation.

3-0. Bring on MSU.
Oh I was there...and a good friend was the son of a Trustee...funny the things you learn that way...what do you know?

Did you know Bill Armstrong? I did...great man...knew everything IU FB...filled a room up with character...

Who are you?

I follow and root like heck for both programs. It does baffle me that some of our fans don’t see the importance a great football program. It can give the whole athletic dept needed funding.
Who said we don't see the importance of a great football program but after 40+ years of being a fan I don't see how IU football will ever be great. I see our ceiling as a Iowa and to me that is a pretty good level to shoot for. Put it this way if IU had 10 million to offer a coach we would still not get a Meyer or a Saban. Say after this year Meyer goes tot he NFL and after 3 years decides to come back to college do you really think IU would have a chance to land him. Meyer would never come here even for 10 million because he would wait for programs like LSU or USC to come open and not IU. Even as good as UW has been their last two coaches have left for lower programs like Arkansas and Oregon St.

Why would you want to dwindle the basketball revenue because that would hurt the athletic department. Why not try to root for all IU programs and hope they all are championship caliber teams. I guess for me I just like the game of basketball better and to me it is a lot more excitement and is more enjoyable to watch but I like both
How the hell did you get that from what I said? BB need to grow...and so does FB...and FB can bring in more than BB because that is the nature of the game today. Both should and hopefully will succeed.

Where did I say otherwise?

How the hell did you get that from what I said? BB need to grow...and so does FB...and FB can bring in more than BB because that is the nature of the game today. Both should and hopefully will succeed.

Where did I say otherwise?
just win and bring them in and it will dwindle BB revenue

This comment was in the post I responded to and it sounded to me you would like to dwindle the BB revenue

just win and bring them in and it will dwindle BB revenue

This comment was in the post I responded to and it sounded to me you would like to dwindle the BB revenue
If I gave that impression it was not my intent. I support women's BB, soccer, swimming, baseball, you name it! We need every sport bringing in top dollars to help the department grow. I just said that if FB got going, it would dwindle all other revenue sports, BB included. Dwindle meaning to be smaller by comparison, not dwindle in size. Just semantics...honest misunderstanding...

Oh I was there...and a good friend was the son of a Trustee...funny the things you learn that way...what do you know?

Did you know Bill Armstrong? I did...great man...knew everything IU FB...filled a room up with character...

Who are you?
Bill and Martha Lee were wonderful people whom I knew extremely well. He was the pride of Owensboro and no one loved IU more.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUCol
Who said we don't see the importance of a great football program but after 40+ years of being a fan I don't see how IU football will ever be great. I see our ceiling as a Iowa and to me that is a pretty good level to shoot for. Put it this way if IU had 10 million to offer a coach we would still not get a Meyer or a Saban. Say after this year Meyer goes tot he NFL and after 3 years decides to come back to college do you really think IU would have a chance to land him. Meyer would never come here even for 10 million because he would wait for programs like LSU or USC to come open and not IU. Even as good as UW has been their last two coaches have left for lower programs like Arkansas and Oregon St.

Scott - We had a bunch of money to offer our last basketball coach and Donovan kindly said no. If we are elite status and “basketball crazy” with major sex appeal where are these elite coaches lining up around the corner? By the way, I really like Archie. Glad to have him. But....people throw around these names like Urban and Saban and blather on that they wouldn’t come here. Fine. But don’t trick yourself into thinking that basketball is attracting all these high profile guys. That ship has sailed. However, I am perfectly fine with a good young coach. Everybody starts out building from somewhere. I just don’t want to hear any more of this stuff about IU football attracting the high profile names when across the lot we don’t have guys lining up with big time, lengthy resumes. It’s irony.

Reactions: IUCol and 76-1
If capacity is 55K, I guessed there were 35K in the second quarter. There did not seem to be as many BSU fans as I expected.

Reactions: Indianaftw
It’s honestly a built-in excuse with our fan base. Last week, it was the “I’m sugar, I’ll dissolve in the rain” crowd.
This week, it was the “I’m a little snowflake, I might melt today.”
whoa is me you sitting in the East stands. The west stands were just an oven. Regardless I was only commenting on the seats if you were referring to my comments. I

The team however was Good. 3.5 out of 5 stars. The defense will have to pick up the pace in Big 10 play. They are fast but a much bigger task starting next week.

Scott, you come off as terribly insecure regarding the football program, you really do.

Was saying u were one of the people. I have heard countless fans make jokes about - oh, IU has a football team, we will never be good, etc. IF IU gets to Iowa’s level or say MSU I would take that in a heartbeat. Do see any reason if Northwestern can have a successful program that IU can’t.

ADVERTISEMENT