ADVERTISEMENT

What to expect tonight (my thoughts)...

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I know Doug did a prediction poll a couple of days ago, but I wanted to throw out a few in-depth thoughts and see if anyone wants to jump in. Ladoga and I discussed below a quick spreadsheet I threw together collecting all the Likely Voter polls since Oct. 1 (at Ladoga's suggestion, I've narrowed it down to polls since Oct. 20). By messing with coefficients and so forth (methodology in a footnote below), I've found that, overall, there was a slight move toward the GOP this weekend, but not in every state. I have some thoughts about the most interesting states. If anyone wants to talk about any of them, let's nerd out:

1. Alaska - Almost impossible to predict because there isn't a lot of data. The polls themselves give Sullivan only a 1 point lead, but Alaska polls notoriously overestimate Democratic turnout. Prediction: Sullivan 50-46.

2. Arkansas - One of a small handful of states to swing Democratic over the weekend. When I added the last polls, Cotton's lead went from 7.3 to 4.6. Still, too little, too late for Pryor. Prediction: Cotton 50-46.

3. Colorado - TONS of polling data for this state. Gardner has a small lead of slightly over 2 points, but Colorado polls tend to underestimate Democratic performance. The early mail-in votes could mess this up, too. Prediction: Gardner 49-48, but I am not at all confident about this. If you are looking for states where the Dems might get an upset and give themselves at least a chance to hold on to the Senate, this is one state to watch.

4. Georgia - This got away from Nunn at the end, but Perdue is still falling just a bit short of 50%. My final count has Perdue winning 49.7-47.2. So, Prediction: Runoff.

5. Iowa - Another state to keep a very close eye on, since, like Arkansas, it has actually shifted back to Braley a bit at the end, and Iowa polls tend to overestimate GOP votes. I have it as essentially a dead heat, with Ernst holding a 0.4 point lead. Prediction: Ernst 49-48.

6. Kansas - Orman is going into today the favorite. He swears he'll caucus with the winners. Several of you here say he's full of it, and he's a Democrat tried and true. We'll see. Prediction: Orman 48-47.

7. Kentucky - No way McConnell loses this. Only bright spot for Dems is that there hasn't been nearly enough polling done, so there's always the chance for a shock. Prediction: McConnell 52-45.

8. Louisiana - This is interesting because the polls have tons of undecideds. Ironically, Landrieu has a chance to top 50% and avoid a runoff, while Cassidy does not. However, once a run off happens, Cassidy is the strong favorite. So the Dems will "win" this state tonight, but it will be a bittersweet victory if it's not enough to avoid the runoff. I have Landrieu winning 47-40, so Prediction: Runoff.

9. New Hampshire - The only safe state for the Dems in the bunch, but I use the word "safe" loosely. Brown made an impressive run, but it just won't be enough. Prediction: Shaheen 50-48.

10. North Carolina - This is another virtual dead heat. Raw polling data has Hagan up by less than a point. Another state to keep a close eye on, because the Dems need it, and if Tillis wins, it's a sign of a big night for the GOP. Prediction: Hagan 49-47.

So, add this all up, and after tonight, the GOP will have 50 seats, the Democrats will have 47, and there will be Orman to deal with. That leaves the two runoffs that are likely to result in GOP victories. End result, either 52-48 or 53-47 for the GOP, depending on what Orman ends up doing.

Anyone want to jump in the sandbox with me?

goat

Methodology: I took all the LV polls from Oct 1 to today, and weighted them by date. Then I adjusted them for various possibilities based on how undecideds break. I also did the same for all polls starting with Oct 20, which slightly favors the GOP overall. My predictions use the Oct 20 numbers, with a slight national break for Dems (based on apparently national poll bias), but then re-adjusted for individual state biases, which favored the GOP in most cases (e.g., that's the reason I have Alaska as a fairly safe GOP seat, despite the polls saying it's a tossup).

This post was edited on 11/4 4:16 PM by TheOriginalHappyGoat

Colorado

The latest poll was taken AFTER hundreds of thousands of ballots were cast. The statistics show that among the early voting, GOP registrants exceeded Dems by over 100,000. Independents were more than either. Then along comes Quinnipiac showing a tightening race. I have read most of the material I could find about this poll and nobody discussed the impact of either including those who already voted or excluding the early voters from their sample. This is a new wrinkle for the pollsters to chew on.

It's going to take years...

...for pollsters to figure out how to deal with the Colorado election system. I have Gardner winning a tight race, but I would not be shocked if it's a blowout, or if he actually loses. Definitely a state I'll be watching closely, along with a cold beer and a bowl of popcorn*.

It wasn't just Quinnipiac, though. Survey USA and PPP both released polls last week and over the weekend that showed a tightening race. The most recent I have is PPP ending Sunday, with 50-47 in favor of Gardner.

goat

* I am such a nerd.

54-46, with no need to wait for runoffs or recounts (and assuming Orman is a man of his word--but who cares, it won't matter).

And I think McConnell wins by a larger margin in KY, say, 55-41. But anyone who still thinks he might lose is delusional, and most likely really drunk AND high.

So, what you're saying is that IU BB players believe Grimes will win.

Good to know.

POTFB.

CNN is already projecting McConnell the winner over Grimes

It's 55-42 with 7% of the votes counted.

I'm watching Fox; my wife is watching CNN, in order to keep an eye out..

..for our eldest, who is in Florida reporting on the Scott-Crist battle.

I like watching Dana Perrino .....

I can confirm it's not a wave election

Dems winning majority of the local races in my county... we got wiped out badly in 2010.

This post was edited on 11/4 7:44 PM by Fro

Was just on, at 7:44.

In a weird blue suit.

Mama says: "She sounds sick."

It was never going to be a wave election.

I know a lot of people thought it would, but it was the huge Dem victory 6 years ago in red states more than anything that put the Senate on the table this year, and allowed for a small potential gain in the House.

Going to be late before we really have a handle on this.

Dem turnout appears to be better than I thought it would. That's good news. But is it enough? Ehhhhhh.....

goat

Agreed, it'll be a while before we have a clear idea

Dems seem like they're going to hold NH and they've gotten a couple good exit polls in NC & GA.

West Virginia flips, and Virginia may follow

Neither were in your list. Perdue is leading Nunn early but she's closing. New Hampshire looks like it will stay blue.

That's because

I didn't consider either one a battleground state. I assumed WV would go GOP. I assumed VA would stay Dem. That one is looking scary, now. We'll see.

goat

I thought you were watching Gotham!

3dgrin.r191677.gif

Jeopardy

And it's over now.

I took a half hour break from my political nerdgasm to take part in a family tradition: watching Jeopardy with the maternal unit.

Now I'm back to All CNN All The Time.

When she refused to say whether she voted for Obama or not,

I thought she was done. If she is that wimpy, what can you expect out of her? Even Ashley Judd would've done better.

This post was edited on 11/4 9:31 PM by meridian

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT