ADVERTISEMENT

What to do without the 500 this weekend?

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
My son wants to drive up to Indy Sunday morning and drink a couple of beers and tailgate around the track.He wants to be at the track even though nothing is going on. I have taken him to the track since he was 7. This would be his 23rd year without missing and he wants to continue the streak

I'm not sure we can be in the lots or places outside the track. I think it is a bad idea to drive 3 hours to a place that probably doesn't want us there. Is there any unofficial places people in Indy are going to hang out? Am I wrong or will 16th and Georgetown be just another intersection in Speedway with nothing to see or do?

My son wants to drive up to Indy Sunday morning and drink a couple of beers and tailgate around the track.He wants to be at the track even though nothing is going on. I have taken him to the track since he was 7. This would be his 23rd year without missing and he wants to continue the streak

I'm not sure we can be in the lots or places outside the track. I think it is a bad idea to drive 3 hours to a place that probably doesn't want us there. Is there any unofficial places people in Indy are going to hang out? Am I wrong or will 16th and Georgetown be just another intersection in Speedway with nothing to see or do?
You can watch traffic in almost every city. Just turn on Hee Haw for background crowd noise.

You can watch traffic in almost every city. Just turn on Hee Haw for background crowd noise.

tenor.gif

Here in NASCAR country they throw chicken bones too! And of course there's always the rednecks shouting "show us your tits!"

If he wants to, indulge him, I bet it would be a special day, just come up with an alternative activity, golf? or a visit to an Indy site or museum. Hoosiers gym is cool, if it's open and not ridiculously far and then you could go on to New Castle for the IN bball HOF. If you go to Speedway, go by the original Long's Donuts. You're welcome.

If he wants to, indulge him, I bet it would be a special day, just come up with an alternative activity, golf? or a visit to an Indy site or museum. Hoosiers gym is cool, if it's open and not ridiculously far and then you could go on to New Castle for the IN bball HOF. If you go to Speedway, go by the original Long's Donuts. You're welcome.
Sad and unhappy people can make fun of it, but my 30 year old son wants to hang out with his dad. I wouldn't miss it.

He has a plan. I'm going with whatever he wants to do.

He had goosebumps like I did the first time I entered IMS with my dad and heard 33 cars on the track.

Liked for the original Long’s donuts ... I used to work in Speedway ... had plenty of Long’s with possibly a few visits to the Mug-n-Bun.

Reactions: kkott
I'm guessing you could hang out in the Legion parking lot if nothing else is available.

Sad and unhappy people can make fun of it, but my 30 year old son wants to hang out with his dad. I wouldn't miss it.

He had goosebumps like I did the first time I entered IMS with my dad and heard 33 cars on the track.
Absolutely. Today would have been my dad’s 87 birthday. He passed away a little over 3 years ago. It is sort of hitting me again tonight. Any time you can spend with your somDad, no matter how silly it seems will creat memories forever. Sorry for the somewhat of a downer, but thought I needed to post it

Liked for the original Long’s donuts ... I used to work in Speedway ... had plenty of Long’s with possibly a few visits to the Mug-n-Bun.

I dont' know how if you've been to Longs, that wouldn't yield a like! I worked for a few years at UPS and would get off around 8am, head to Longs, grab a quart of milk and a dozen warm yeast donuts. I'd generally polish off 6-8 by myself on the drive home. The things we could do to our bodies at 20!

Reactions: IUAPEX

I don't know why anyone would make fun of it, especially no one with kids. I hope my kids still want to plan events with me when they're 30! Congrats! What'd you guys do?

I dont' know how if you've been to Longs, that wouldn't yield a like! I worked for a few years at UPS and would get off around 8am, head to Longs, grab a quart of milk and a dozen warm yeast donuts. I'd generally polish off 6-8 by myself on the drive home. The things we could do to our bodies at 20!

Yea ... turned 50 this weekend. I can no longer eat the quantity I used to ... but I still enjoy what I used to :).

Reactions: All4You
Yea ... turned 50 this weekend. I can no longer eat the quantity I used to ... but I still enjoy what I used to :).

My son's 21 now, but when he was 12 we took a great trip back to IN. Hit tons of old haunts: Reds game, Kings Island, New Castle gym, IN BBall HOF, Hoosiers Gym, Bankers Life, Hinkle, Southport gym (my HS), IMS, Assembly and Cook Hall (met Coach Crean and Derek Elston) and many campus sites. I'm still not sure that the visit to Longs wasn't his favorite. Mother Bears Pizza ranked highly also!

My son's 21 now, but when he was 12 we took a great trip back to IN. Hit tons of old haunts: Reds game, Kings Island, New Castle gym, IN BBall HOF, Hoosiers Gym, Bankers Life, Hinkle, Southport gym, IMS, Assembly and Cook Hall (met Coach Crean and Derek Elston) and many campus sites. I'm still not sure that the visit to Longs wasn't his favorite. Mother Bears Pizza ranked highly also!

That’s a great trip ... my son is 18 and we made a similar trip a few years back. Not quite all the same stops ... we went to IU vs. MSU basketball and Mother Bears was definitely high on his list, but we stopped at Long’s on the way back to the airport in Indy. We also stopped at Shapiro’s deli when we were leaving Indy on the way to Bloomington ... miss those spots.

I don't know why anyone would make fun of it, especially no one with kids. I hope my kids still want to plan events with me when they're 30! Congrats! What'd you guys do?
We parked in Speedway near the roundabout on Georgetown and sat in chairs in under the only tree with shade at gate 1. We opened a beer and ate the chips we brought and enjoyed the weather. We talked to several people out seeing what was going on.

IMS President Doug Boles and Indycar President Jay Frye came out to meet the people hanging out like us. Boles gave us Indy 500 coozies and a large IMS flag when we told him we drove up from Eville.

We met some nice people including a couple of people from Michigan with a Siberian Husky named Indy like one of our old pups.

We reminisced about the trips and races we have seen together. Being at the roundabout, we saw a lot of hot rods and a few exotic cars drive by. It was a moving car show. As we were leaving, we saw someone with a sign that read "Virtual Parking $20". I loved it!

It is a memory to add to the other pilgrimages to IMS. We will do it again in August .... we hope.

We parked in Speedway near the roundabout on Georgetown and sat in chairs in under the only tree with shade at gate 1. We opened a beer and ate the chips we brought and enjoyed the weather. We talked to several people out seeing what was going on.

IMS President Doug Boles and Indycar President Jay Frye came out to meet the people hanging out like us. Boles gave us Indy 500 coozies and a large IMS flag when we told him we drove up from Eville.

We met some nice people including a couple of people from Michigan with a Siberian Husky named Indy like one of our old pups.

We reminisced about the trips and races we have seen together. Being at the roundabout, we saw a lot of hot rods and a few exotic cars drive by. It was a moving car show. As we were leaving, we saw someone with a sign that read "Virtual Parking $20". I loved it!

It is a memory to add to the other pilgrimages to IMS. We will do it again in August .... we hope.

No Long's? You f'd up! Other than that, sounds like a great time!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Real good bbq place near Speedway. Can't remember the name.

No Long's? You f'd up! Other than that, sounds like a great time!
To be honest, the only other place I have spent any time in Speedway is the house on Lynhurst that we park.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT