ADVERTISEMENT

What News Source Do You Trust?

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Which news source do you trust to report facts accurately, without a need to check them?

The one you read, listen to or watch first and trust most?

Which news source do you trust to report facts accurately, without a need to check them?

I like the thread you started but I don’t think it’s an answer that can be given. Wallace at Fox News is worth watching. He could be the best of them. I think Brian Williams probably is. I like what Rachel Maddow has to offer. I watch Cuomo on the regular. I like tapper. I like Anderson Cooper. I could honestly go on and on.
When I read articles from papers it’s because I sought out a topic or sought out the news. I don’t narrow it down to which paper I read. Internet generation.

Serious reply:

If you want to get a good feel for the current zeitgeist, keep the Drudge Report loaded in your browser. Matt is doing a much better job of curating the news than he once did.

Serious reply:

If you want to get a good feel for the current zeitgeist, keep the Drudge Report loaded in your browser. Matt is doing a much better job of curating the news than he once did.
I appreciate that, but imo, reputable news sources should do more than capture zeitgeist. They should gather facts and information about a host of topics each and every day and build an information base such that if you read those sources regularly (even if each story doesn't seem zeitgeisty in the moment), you'll be better informed and have a more thorough understanding of national and world affairs.

Edit: inadvertently had a fwiw instead of an imo originally. Fixed it.

Google. If I really want to know the truth about a story I will scan multiple sources. I can't say there is any single source I trust for everything.

I appreciate that, but imo, reputable news sources should do more than capture zeitgeist. They should gather facts and information about a host of topics each and every day and build an information base such that if you read those sources regularly (even if each story doesn't seem zeitgeisty in the moment), you'll be better informed and have a more thorough understanding of national and world affairs.

Edit: inadvertently had a fwiw instead of an imo originally. Fixed it.
Fair. My point, poorly communicated, was that Drudge does a good job of linking to good sources (not the crazy shit he used to link) who are reporting on the news of the day.

Reactions: Thyrsis
Google. If I really want to know the truth about a story I will scan multiple sources. I can't say there is any single source I trust for everything.
I peruse Google News on my phone. Based on the headlines, I don't know who is the most slanted, CNN or Fox. I rarely open up a story from either.

NPR. PBS News.

And a few political podcasts that are definitely slanted but facts are facts.

Edit: If cables news, like for breaking news coverage, I prefer MSNBC, but don’t care for some of the extra commentary sometimes. I don’t think they lie like FNC but, as the kids say, it can be too extra.

Reactions: UncleMark
I appreciate the honesty. It tells you how loony tunes the poster is. He’s fed propaganda and laps it up.

Where do you get your news from? Let me guess...Moveon.org, Media Matters, MSDNC, the NY toilet paper Times, NPR, the Daily Kos?

NPR. PBS News.

And a few political podcasts that are definitely slanted but facts are facts.

Edit: If cables news, like for breaking news coverage, I prefer MSNBC, but don’t care for some of the extra commentary sometimes. I don’t think they lie like FNC but, as the kids say, it can be too extra.

Facts are what is made of them to make us believe what the news wants us to believe.

I don't like to just rely on one source of news. I will usually Google and look at multiple sources. I do enjoy the in-depth news shows like 60 minutes or Axios. I also like some of the NPR podcast. Also the Chris Hayes podcast "Why is this Happening?" It is left leaning but I like how in depth he goes on topics.

Never heard of him. I don't do social media or you tube.

I just looked him up. I don't know him but I did see a video sent to me recently of him dismantling a feminist news host. I know nothing about him, but he destroyed her argument.

None of them when it comes to "Trust"... That's why I try to run back and forth to most of them...

They all have editors, producers, writers and owners with their own particular slant on life... That shouldn't preclude them from a reasonable apolitical presentation of a news event but these days it usually does..., and in a big way...

I try to read and view as many different sources, with different slants that time allows and then if the topic is important to me I go on to research it myself...

I can tell you who I don't trust, I don't trust anyone who's wedded to watching or reading a single source and would never consider viewing others just because they might present a different viewpoint... Right or Left...

Reactions: glmiu11
I try to read and view as many different sources, with different slants that time allows and then if the topic is important to me I go on to research it myself...
I can tell you who I don't trust, I don't trust anyone who's wedded to watching or reading a single source and would never consider viewing others just because they might present a different viewpoint... Right or Left...

And yet, miraculously you always seem to come out consistently with one particular slant.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I think some people would call it confirmation bias but in your case, I like to think it's just social conditioning.

I just looked him up. I don't know him but I did see a video sent to me recently of him dismantling a feminist news host. I know nothing about him, but he destroyed her argument.

I have opinions of him but I’ll keep it to myself. I’ll just say many take what he has to say out of context or too far.

The Steven Colbert show is all I need.

But seriously, NPR, BBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, ABC, NBC, in order of decreasing influence.

Twitter feeds add a lot as well, as I follow many reporters and news organizations.

I really like NPR. Don’t listen to it as much as I’m not on the road anymore. The Economist was always my favorite but I let my subscription lapse due to time constraints. Still subscribe to Foreign Affairs, which is great but more analysis and commentary. Read the NYT and WSJ regularly in college as they were available free on campus. Still get to read one or another if I’m traveling. Mostly I use news aggregators like Google News which have a variety of sources, some good, some not so good

Reactions: outside shooter
It’s what made him famous.

I like listening to his thoughts. I don’t agree with a lot of them.

Some follow his word like his word is the final word and that can be annoying, which can lead them to rejecting basic science. Just like alcohol, take it in moderation.

None of them when it comes to "Trust"... That's why I try to run back and forth to most of them...

They all have editors, producers, writers and owners with their own particular slant on life... That shouldn't preclude them from a reasonable apolitical presentation of a news event but these days it usually does..., and in a big way...

Nailed it. This describes me.

Reactions: 76-1
And yet, miraculously you always seem to come out consistently with one particular slant.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I think some people would call it confirmation bias but in your case, I like to think it's just social conditioning.

I have one and it's based on 65 years of life experience and common sense...

Doesn't keep me from reading, listening to, or veiwing those who might have a different point of view... and expanding my understanding of the topic accordingly if it's a valid point...

I'm not a lockstep type who's views are based solely on what's good for me or what others might think of me...

One thing "true believers" don't grasp... When you attempt to shout down, shame, or intimidate (talking about what's happening throughout the country, not necessarily you)..., you've become as bad or worse than those you're attempting to subjugate...

True Believers of any ilk scare me, for good reason...

Last edited:
Reactions: IUINSB and ribbont
I have opinions of him but I’ll keep it to myself. I’ll just say many take what he has to say out of context or too far.

Lol. That's news reporting 101. Take something out of context, call it news, and run with it.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Look in the mirror and read that last sentence back to yourself...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT