ADVERTISEMENT

What is the best band from the past 30 years?

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
To qualify they must have produced new material, not just touring and playing old hits.

My choice without giving it a ton of thought is Radiohead. I present you the following live video from 1997. This just blows me away.

Those are fightin' words. Who you got?

Some other considerations

1. Pearl Jam
2. Foo Fighters
3. Radiohead
4. Muse
5. The Strokes
6. Arcade Fire
7. The Killers

Your criteria of active / post 1990 (still releasing albums, etc narrowed the herd quickly). A few listed above don’t necessarily have equal depth of songs, but can consistently headline and put on strong live shows. I think bands that play to 5k-10k or supplement festivals over the last 10 years (a couple good albums) seem to be the new sweet spot.

To qualify they must have produced new material, not just touring and playing old hits.

My choice without giving it a ton of thought is Radiohead. I present you the following live video from 1997. This just blows me away.

From 90 on?

What you mean is "favorite" not best. Favorite is subjective and based on opinion, best is objective and based on knowledge and talent and seldom are they the same.

Rage Against the Machine

then ..

Jane's Addiction
Pearl Jam
Umphrey’s McGee
Radiohead

Radiohead is fine, if you don't like melody, harmony, tempo, counter melody, tone, dynamics, rhythm, or beat. vbg

That era has been dominated by Hip Hop, and 'Americana' (ie real country music not assclown bro country) also had a huge impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Nirvana
Blur
Oasis
Stereophonics
Franz Ferdinand
Arctic Monkeys
Green Day
Libertines
The Stokes
Soul II Soul
Gorillaz (albeit virtual band)

Last edited:
Counting crows, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Counting crows is by far the best IMO just because of their live shows. They never play a song the same as their album. They always put a new twist on it. At first that reallly pissed me off, I wanted to sing along at the concert on beat. Then I grew to appreciate the new renditions and pure genius that Adam has in his brain. Backstage watching warmups at the Vogue was the highlight for me, I doubt I’ll top that for a musical experience in my life time.

Counting crows, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Counting crows is by far the best IMO just because of their live shows. They never play a song the same as their album. They always put a new twist on it. At first that reallly pissed me off, I wanted to sing along at the concert on beat. Then I grew to appreciate the new renditions and pure genius that Adam has in his brain. Backstage watching warmups at the Vogue was the highlight for me, I doubt I’ll top that for a musical experience in my life time.

Loved the Vogue back in the day. Saw some great shows there. Still kicking? Best music venue here in Charlotte is a smaller outdoor venue... probably the nicest I've been to. I'd guess it seats around 6-7k. Several restaurants and bars nearby, easy parking and in/out, easy to tailgate... always a good experience. I've seen Greta Van Fleet, Dwight Yoakam (with Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams... LSD tour!), Straight No Chaser and Chris Stapleton there. All fun shows.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Loved the Vogue back in the day. Saw some great shows there. Still kicking? Best music venue here in Charlotte is a smaller outdoor venue... probably the nicest I've been to. I'd guess it seats around 6-7k. Several restaurants and bars nearby, easy parking and in/out, easy to tailgate... always a good experience. I've seen Greta Van Fleet, Dwight Yoakam (with Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams... LSD tour!), Straight No Chaser and Chris Stapleton there. All fun shows.

pretty sure it’s called something else now, but pre COVID it was alive and well. Neat venue for sure.

pretty sure it’s called something else now, but pre COVID it was alive and well. Neat venue for sure.
It’s still kicking. They changed ownership about two years ago. I used to be the entertainment manager there from 1994-96. The show I’m most proud to have been associated with was Johnny Cash and his whole family was with him. $40 ticket back then for 900 people.

It’s still kicking. They changed ownership about two years ago. I used to be the entertainment manager there from 1994-96. The show I’m most proud to have been associated with was Johnny Cash and his whole family was with him. $40 ticket back then for 900 people.

• alice in chains. that unplugged album showed their talent
  • black crowes. their first 3 albums are fantastic
  • gn&r

I dunno...Nickelback?

If that's where were going with this, then....Insane Clown Posse. Juggalo for life yo. /mic drop
4321.gif

I assumed it was just rock bands.

How would you classify Wilco? Rock is generic of course, but it is also largely absent these days. Some of their alt country stuff borders on southern rock. Some of their indie stuff borders on indie rock. Their last 10 years or so are certainly dad rock.

How would you classify Wilco? Rock is generic of course, but it is also largely absent these days. Some of their alt country stuff borders on southern rock. Some of their indie stuff borders on indie rock. Their last 10 years or so are certainly dad rock.
Eh, in my opinion it's just music..from a variety of influences ..

But if you go to a record store you'll find them in "alt country".

Wilco
Pearl Jam
Foo Fighters
The Killers
U2- if they count
Arcade Fire
The Strokes
The Shins

Also, Uncle Tupelo was so much better.

Reactions: DRH4IU

Not at all mad about this At all The Bends, Kid A, and OK Computer are three of the greatest albums ever.

Reactions: Eppy99
Radiohead is definitely worthy of a top five nod. Sofa King good. (Is someone out there trying to say that choice is ghey??? Did i read that right?). Wilco is pretty worthy, even if i dont love all their stuff.

Radiohead is definitely worthy of a top five nod. Sofa King good. (Is someone out there trying to say that choice is ghey??? Did i read that right?). Wilco is pretty worthy, even if i dont love all their stuff.
I have a love hate relationship with Radiohead and Wilco. I like them for about 10 to 15 minutes, tops, then I hate them if they continue playing any longer. I have the same relationship with some jazz and most bluegrass but for different reasons. Small doses only.

I do though like to make fun of Radiohead fans. vbg.. ya know about lack of beat and rhythm.

I can't believe no one mentioned Phish. I like making fun of their lyrics, but the guys can play and are talented. The lyrics though.. I generally don't care that much about lyrics, rarely can they ruin a song but Phish manages it.

If you want to say best in a creative manner, yea Radiohead is worthy. I don't think Wilco really is. Close .. meh ..

Uncle Tupelo was better. Farrar dampened some of Tweedy's weirdness.

Oddly I only truly hate one band listed in this thread and maybe five I dislike. Well I don't hate the band, it's great, I absolutely hate the singer because his (off key mono) tone makes me feel like my ears are clogged. I cannot stand listening to Andy Kiedis and his lyrics are almost Phish dumb. I have a CD of RCHP that has had the vocals removed. It's so much better.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
From 90 on?

What you mean is "favorite" not best. Favorite is subjective and based on opinion, best is objective and based on knowledge and talent and seldom are they the same.

Rage Against the Machine

then ..

Jane's Addiction
Pearl Jam
Umphrey’s McGee
Radiohead

Radiohead is fine, if you don't like melody, harmony, tempo, counter melody, tone, dynamics, rhythm, or beat. vbg

That era has been dominated by Hip Hop, and 'Americana' (ie real country music not assclown bro country) also had a huge impact.
I agree, favorite band is the better word to use. As for bands somewhat under the radar that I think are absolutely worthy of votes I’ll suggest the following:

Sonic Youth
Guided By Voices
Pixies
My Morning Jacket
Tedeschi/Trucks Band
Govt. Mule
Built to Spill

Also bands that belong on the short list but not yet mentioned would include:

Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden

Reactions: HoosierJimbo89
Not gonna lie I’m kinda ashamed to say this, but March box 20 made a cd that is probably a top 5 album all time for me. When you can remember walking to the bus humming the tune “Im a lil bit rusty” while wearing big baggy corduroy rusty brand shorts, those songs become way better than they actually are.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Not gonna lie I’m kinda ashamed to say this, but March box 20 made a cd that is probably a top 5 album all time for me. When you can remember walking to the bus humming the tune “Im a lil bit rusty” while wearing big baggy corduroy rusty brand shorts, those songs become way better than they actually are.
@Warison

Music hasn't changed much in 900 years. Different tones, different instruments, different lyrical topics, same 7 notes, same scales, same beats.

nor has English/American literature then.

same words, same punctuation, same chapters, paragraph and sentence structure, same verbs repeated over and over, same 26 letters in the alphabet, never coming up with any new ones..

you'd think at least someone with daring and creativity could come along and at least challenge capitalizing letters in the same places over and over and over again, just copying how everyone before them did it..

nor has English/American literature then.

same words, same punctuation, same chapters, paragraph and sentence structure, same verbs repeated over and over, same 26 letters in the alphabet, never coming up with any new ones..

you'd think at least someone with daring and creativity could come along and at least challenge capitalizing letters in the same places over and over and over again, just copying how everyone before them did it..
tenor.gif

The Verve?

My personal fav is Stereophonics -- seen them live more often than any other bands in the past 30yrs.

haven't heard a lot of Stereophonics, but liked what i heard and had a couple things from them on my DVR at one time.

more old school influenced than last 30 yrs imo.

Reactions: sglowrider
ADVERTISEMENT