ADVERTISEMENT

What is Most Impressive abt Archie so far?

I know it's only three games. But did any one expect us to not even compete in two of the games? After recent bad coaching regimes. We have a right to be concerned. I know Archie has had success at Dayton but this is a higher profile job. And a loss to Indiana State is always concerning. I know we must be patient. I see both sides here. But you shouldn't criticize another poster for being concerned.
You can lighten up as well.

Just an FYI, this tool bag was advocating for Mike Woodson and Steve Alford. So basically, ignore him. He’s also longing for Bill Lynch as football coach, which...WTF?
you are really stupid I never said I was longing for Billy Lynch I said we haven't come very far since Billy Lynch. With what we pay we deserve someone who wows kids when they walk in the living room. lets see Woodson coaches in the NBA and Steve Alford out recruits Indiana for kids from Indiana, so yes I would like someone from IU to coach IU

Just about the only thing I've seen so far in the 3 games is the fact that he takes accountability for how bad we've been. There's not a lot of on the court positives if you ask me. Been pretty ugly.

I like Archie but the guy doesn't walk on water. Ive been highly disappointed so far but I'm giving him a pass this year.

Reactions: jaypay23 and cryano
I see an attempt to play defense and play with better fundamentals. Currently the roster is lacking top end talent, a true pg, and toughness. All things that will be fixed in future
I disagree about the talent. We have talent but we do need a pg who can take care of the basketball. We still are having way too many turnovers and missed free throws on offense and are giving up too many wide open three's on defense. We are getting better and by the end of the year we should be a different team then the one these first three games.

I know it's only three games. But did any one expect us to not even compete in two of the games? After recent bad coaching regimes. We have a right to be concerned. I know Archie has had success at Dayton but this is a higher profile job. And a loss to Indiana State is always concerning. I know we must be patient. I see both sides here. But you shouldn't criticize another poster for being concerned.
Really and why should someone be concerned after three games. I bet if you took Duke's, Arizona's, Kansas' coaches and let them coach this team in the same time frame there wouldn't be much difference. It takes time to switch the way you have played the last 2-3 years. If you look a lot of the bad turnovers are coming from our upperclassmen. This team has no leader on the court. Johnson or Newkirk should be the ones stepping up their performance and just aren't doing it.

I disagree about the talent. We have talent but we do need a pg who can take care of the basketball. We still are having way too many turnovers and missed free throws on offense and are giving up too many wide open three's on defense. We are getting better and by the end of the year we should be a different team then the one these first three games.
We have some gifted athletes but I do t see a to of b-ball talent. Morgan is average, Newkirk is a below average pg and we do t have another pg, davis is 6’10 and plays like 6’6, JOHNSON hasn’t bought in, McSwain isn’t a BIG caliber player.
- no back up for davis
- shooting is an issue
- turnovers are still an issue

Positives...
- smith and Durham will be players
- Moore can only get better
-Newkirk is a senior

Really and why should someone be concerned after three games. I bet if you took Duke's, Arizona's, Kansas' coaches and let them coach this team in the same time frame there wouldn't be much difference. It takes time to switch the way you have played the last 2-3 years. If you look a lot of the bad turnovers are coming from our upperclassmen. This team has no leader on the court. Johnson or Newkirk should be the ones stepping up their performance and just aren't doing it.
If that is the case then no one should be playing who isn't a Frosh or a Soph

Do I really have to answer that question?I think the last 3 hires have already answered that. And comparing Archie to Mike K is ridiculous and shows your ignorance.

I like what I hear in the post game interview with Fischer. He doesn't make excuses for the play and he takes responsibility for the poor play. Like last night he did not sugar coat a but some of the stupid passes and carelessness with the ball
I like the fact that he has shown up for each of the post game interviews with Fish. He did not send out an assistant after the tough loses

[QUOTEetherHoosier_Phenom, post: 2265619, member: 53824"]I disagree about the talent. We have talent but we do need a pg who can take care of the basketball. We still are having way too many turnovers and missed free throws on offense and are giving up too many wide open three's on defense. We are getting better and by the end of the year we should be a different team then the one these first three games.[/QUOTE]
You can have individual talent but if it does not work well as a team then it does not matter. The one thing that Crean did not do well was build a team that fit together and did not put a team together.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
you are really stupid I never said I was longing for Billy Lynch I said we haven't come very far since Billy Lynch. With what we pay we deserve someone who wows kids when they walk in the living room. lets see Woodson coaches in the NBA and Steve Alford out recruits Indiana for kids from Indiana, so yes I would like someone from IU to coach IU

Dumb

You mean like Bob Knight , that is right he was not from Indiana

Our team has looked foolish on the court so far. For a reason I don't understand, many are treating the team like it's an early sanction rebuild with a roster of walk ons. Fact is that it's not, and the team should be playing better than it is. I think it was time for Crean to go, but I can also admit that I don't believe we would have lost 2 games at this point if he were still coaching. I'm still hopeful that Archie will have a long and successful run at IU, but his start through three games certainly hasn't been strong, imo. The only style of basketball that I'm interested in is winning basketball, and that's not happening. I'm concerned that this season will go so poorly that it will either lengthen the time it takes for Archie to be successful or handicap it completely. It's awfully hard to recruit when you get blown out by mediocre mid-majors regularly.
If you ever find yourself in a new job, with three days in of measurable job performance, I hope you would consider your supervisor justified in coming up to you and telling what an utter disappointment you have been. I hope you smile and thank him when he tells you he wishes they had never fired the guy you replaced. Because that's what you seem to think is fair. By the way, it is also hard to recruit when you completely under-perform, and look "foolish on the court" to use your term, the way Crean's last team did. Since you brought him up for comparison, you must have missed all those game his teams lost along the way they had no business losing.

Most impressive? I d say the fact that he didn't pull a "Dakich" and say I'm sorry I think I've made a huge mistake coming here and head back to Dayton as fast as his SUV would take him (after meeting his returning players, watching some prior season game tape and reviewing their off season workout progress). :confused:;):cool:;)

He's a very brave young coach for coming here. Let's hope he gets the three full years he'll need to clean up Creans mess...

Reactions: jet812
The people who demand coaches with Indiana ties simply for the sake of having a coach with Indiana ties, regardless of resume, always amuse me considering their cult leader was an Ohio State alum who came from Army.

I liked Crean. Was ready to do better and his time had come to try new. Many hated Crean. To each their own.

So many on here said ‘thank goodness the days of (insert insult) here are gone’
Many said ‘Archie values (insert fundamental) and cant wait to see that!’
etc etc etc

So, on the basketball court in game play, what has been the most immediate impressive upgrade so far from the coaching change?
Post game interviews are coherent and straight forward. I swear half of Creans comments were total BS. Can you imagine how a teen followed his direction. If he spoke like that to them?

And he doesn’t throw everybody else under the bus. It was never Creans fault. That Sheyot got super old...

I got it dumbass it just is not relevant but you slow thinkers think you have a strong point, you do not
It’s ok to be stupid. Some of us are just trying to help you get better. This will obviously be a challenge.

Why is it that under Crean, Davis, Green, Morgan and others were looked at as guys that are talented and could succeed under the right coach. But under Archie everyone is saying there is no talent on the roster?

Everyone has a right to be concerned, of course.......but not right now. To install a new culture in a basketball program, it takes time. What would you have done if Archie finished his first 3 seasons like this?

17-13
10-17
11-17

Would you fire him? That's how coach K started at Duke. He was hired at Duke the year after going 9-17 at Army. I say it's time to relax and let the coach do his job. This season he is going to be instilling work ethic, basic fundamentals of his system and process. Remember, his hands on approach didn't start until the last month. A lot of lessons are going to be learned and relationships built. As the season turns, things will start to shine through but let's not start kicking the tires on this ALREADY.

Why is it that under Crean, Davis, Green, Morgan and others were looked at as guys that are talented and could succeed under the right coach. But under Archie everyone is saying there is no talent on the roster?

I don't see many saying there is no talent. But how do you not recognize that we lost our 3 leading scorers from last year who were all underclassmen and then we're also missing what is likely our best outside shooter? Again, I go back to Seton Hall. If they lost their top 3 scorers from last year, that would be Delgado, Rodriguez and Carrington, and then let's take away their best remaining shooter. Honestly I don't know who that is, but I'm gonna say Powell. Now, how would that have impacted our game the other night? Oh yeah, then on top of that, let's take away their coach and install someone who coaches a totally different system and they have to play us in the 3rd game of the year on the road in AH after only having played weaker teams at home. Think things might have been different? That's where we are. We are not devoid of talent, but we are devoid of scorers and offensive talent. I have no problem with expectations, but they have to be balanced with reality.

Read CAM's radio interview excerpts Snowling so politely links and I think he gives a very fair summary of where this team is, and where it's headed. That alone is refreshing!

I don't see many saying there is no talent. But how do you not recognize that we lost our 3 leading scorers from last year who were all underclassmen and then we're also missing what is likely our best outside shooter? Again, I go back to Seton Hall. If they lost their top 3 scorers from last year, that would be Delgado, Rodriguez and Carrington, and then let's take away their best remaining shooter. Honestly I don't know who that is, but I'm gonna say Powell. Now, how would that have impacted our game the other night? Oh yeah, then on top of that, let's take away their coach and install someone who coaches a totally different system and they have to play us in the 3rd game of the year on the road in AH after only having played weaker teams at home. Think things might have been different? That's where we are. We are not devoid of talent, but we are devoid of scorers and offensive talent. I have no problem with expectations, but they have to be balanced with reality.

Read CAM's radio interview excerpts Snowling so politely links and I think he gives a very fair summary of where this team is, and where it's headed. That alone is refreshing!

I didn't say anything about us not losing talent. Why do you think I don't recognize that?

What I am commenting on is people saying this roster doesn't currently have talent. See below. The roster has talent and I have no doubt Archie will get them to come around. We just have to stop with the "we have no talent" when we truly do. It just needs to be refined.

We have some gifted athletes but I do t see a to of b-ball talent.

Who said that?

Show me one preseason outlet that had IU better than 8th in the B10.

The best I saw was I think ESPN which had IU 8th and the very last team in the NCAA. And that was the best.

Does it have talent? Sure

Is it expected to make NCAA? No

Who said that?

Show me one preseason outlet that had IU better than 8th in the B10.

The best I saw was I think ESPN which had IU 8th and the very last team in the NCAA. And that was the best.

Does it have talent? Sure

Is it expected to make NCAA? No

See my post above.

So IU DOES have talent? Its like you are arguing that they don't, then say they do.......but not really. ?

Reactions: IU Hardcore
See my post above.

So IU DOES have talent? Its like you are arguing that they don't, then say they do.......but not really. ?

What do you mean it has “talent”?

There is a lot of grey area there. More talent than Crean’s first year? Less talent than Duke this year?

Talent is a relative term....

What do you mean it has “talent”?

There is a lot of grey area there. More talent than Crean’s first year? Less talent than Duke this year?

Talent is a relative term....

What is happening right now? "It depends what the meaning of is.....is."

Look, there are people saying IU has no talent when last year people were stating IU has talent but just needs a good coach.

This is not a bash on Archie because again, I think he's going to be exactly what we need. I just laugh at the twist and turns the narrative has taken on.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
I didn't say anything about us not losing talent. Why do you think I don't recognize that?

What I am commenting on is people saying this roster doesn't currently have talent. See below. The roster has talent and I have no doubt Archie will get them to come around. We just have to stop with the "we have no talent" when we truly do. It just needs to be refined.

Posters really have to explain this to you? It's amazing how purposely obtuse you can be in your quest to try and justify your belief that Crean was a good coach. He wasn't a good coach and this isn't a talented IU team.

Last edited:
Posters really have to explain this to you? It's amazing how purposely obtuse you can be in your quest to try and justify your belief that Crean was good coach. He wasn't a good coach and this isn't a talented IU team.

Who said anything about Crean being a good or bad coach? You go to great lengths to avoid answering a simple question. Typical of your posts though.

What is happening right now? "It depends what the meaning of is.....is."

Look, there are people saying IU has no talent when last year people were stating IU has talent but just needs a good coach.

This is not a bash on Archie because again, I think he's going to be exactly what we need. I just laugh at the twist and turns the narrative has taken on.

What twist and turns? I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

IU was 18-16 last year and lost its 3 best players. IU was projected to be bottom half of the B10 and miss the NCAA. Everyone knew this (well, most people I guess).

And now you are trying to say this team has "talent", which means what? B10 title talent? Final Four talent? NIT talent?

I think what you are trying to say is this that Miller has enough talent to do "something". Beat ISU at home? Yes. Beat the #22 team on the road? No.

It seems like you are trying to defend Crean by saying this team has "talent". Well, it had the same team last year plus 2 NBA players and a McDonald's All American......was it the coach or talent last year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT