ADVERTISEMENT

What is Most Impressive abt Archie so far?

cryano

All-Big Ten
Apr 19, 2005
I liked Crean. Was ready to do better and his time had come to try new. Many hated Crean. To each their own.

So many on here said ‘thank goodness the days of (insert insult) here are gone’
Many said ‘Archie values (insert fundamental) and cant wait to see that!’
etc etc etc

So, on the basketball court in game play, what has been the most immediate impressive upgrade so far from the coaching change?

I liked Crean. Was ready to do better and his time had come to try new. Many hated Crean. To each their own.

etc etc etc

So, on the basketball court in game play, what has been the most immediate impressive upgrade so far from the coaching change?
I see an attempt to play defense and play with better fundamentals. Currently the roster is lacking top end talent, a true pg, and toughness. All things that will be fixed in future

Archie will have us as a perennial top 10 team within 3 years at the most. If Romeo commits then top 10-15 immediately next year.

Reactions: mazz
Much better use of post play on offense. Better defense on high screens.

He takes players out when they make stupid plays. He has the right guys getting minutes.

That's 4. And 4 is enough consider they aren't very good.

etc etc etc

1. Hedge and Recovering
2. Help Side (this still needs A LOT of work)
3. Screening on Offense
4. Ball entry to post
5. Inbounds Plays

I've only seen bits and pieces of the last two games, but I don't see as many lazy passes. It seems passes are much crisper.

etc etc etc

Leaves the hot hand in there. Everything else I would have said has already been said.

etc etc etc

His offense flows about 100% than Crean’s did and feeds the post. I can guarantee you we won’t see so many 30 foot, one handed passes after this year. His pack line defense, run effectively, is outstanding. See Dayton, UVA, or Arizona.

With the utter lack of shooters (outside shooters) on this team, I'd like to see us just burn the clock down to next to nothing each possession, focus on defense, go full Princeton offense and try to win a low scoring game. Our veterans still think they should jack up shots early in the clock and they have no business shooting. Too many guys that think they still should do it on their own and are better shooters than they are.

With the utter lack of shooters (outside shooters) on this team, I'd like to see us just burn the clock down to next to nothing each possession, focus on defense, go full Princeton offense and try to win a low scoring game. Our veterans still think they should jack up shots early in the clock and they have no business shooting. Too many guys that think they still should do it on their own and are better shooters than they are.

Defense isn’t good enough yet

Reactions: IU Hardcore
I see an attempt to play defense and play with better fundamentals. Currently the roster is lacking top end talent, a true pg, and toughness. All things that will be fixed in future
What games are you watching . I see absolutely no defense being played.

Reactions: jaypay23

etc etc etc

Less frantic clapping.

-Shot selection
-Closing effort on shot contests
-Hedges
-Prevent deep post position
-Attempt to penetrate on every possession
-Bench guys that make mental mistakes

etc etc etc

I think Archie is just kind of getting a feel for this team and soon will start enforcing his reign of power.

His offense flows about 100% than Crean’s did and feeds the post. I can guarantee you we won’t see so many 30 foot, one handed passes after this year. His pack line defense, run effectively, is outstanding. See Dayton, UVA, or Arizona.
I don't know about Dayton but Az is good because Archie's brother brought paying players to the school

I don't know about Dayton but Az is good because Archie's brother brought paying players to the school
1. Archie Miller brings a team-oriented philosophy to IU (Dayton teams were better year-to-year than one would think when looking at the roster);
2. For the medium and long term there is hope that IU will improve toward the end of the year and as years go by;
3. Defense is important (it's not good yet);
4 Valuation of the ball is increased (well in theory, I guess);
5. Reversing the flow on offense (kind of a swing offense) and use of inside/out attack (sure wish IU had some shooters but, at least, the weave is gone);
6. Archie Miller does not overhype but is direct and clear in his communication (focus and consistency will remove doubt as to what is important):
7. Emphasis on Indiana High School basketball relationships are better; and
8. We hope to see recruiting to a system not just throwing bread on the water and seeing what surfaces.

All of this will take time. It took about three years in Dayton to turn it around.

There are many positives: IU has the possibility of being consistently good in the future. Envision every year in the NCAAT. Envision the team knowing what to do when they face a zone. Envision the team actually using an inside game. Defense is not a time to take a break. Substitutions will not be negatives. Inbound plays will be successful. The coach knows his X's and O's. IU will have a team to be proud of. Winters will be a joy. March will be a hoot.

Banners? Well, there's great competition out there. IU will compete yearly at the highest level. And the students will get a good education and become good citizens.

Reactions: ulrey and cryano
Just an FYI, this tool bag was advocating for Mike Woodson and Steve Alford. So basically, ignore him. He’s also longing for Bill Lynch as football coach, which...WTF?

Reactions: IU40IU
To me its his dedication to his own basketball principles.

This roster, without a doubt, is good enough to be more competitive than what we've seen thus far. Archie could have came in, slow rolled his program so as to allow the older guys to adjust more easily, probably win a few more games in the process... But its obvious he isn't doing any of that. He's willing to take his lumps, and there will be a lot of lumps this year unfortunately.

Its hard to say where we'll end up at the end of this season. It'll all depend on how much buy in he gets from the players, and how well his program meshes with the current guys skill sets if they do buy in. Its not looking good, at all, thus far. Much worse than I ever would have thought. It caused me to go on a tirade after the ISU game. And I'm not saying I'm going to fully enjoy the process...but you have a respect Archie for how he's going about building his own Indiana basketball program.

Reactions: shammy23
To me its his dedication to his own basketball principles.

This roster, without a doubt, is good enough to be more competitive than what we've seen thus far. Archie could have came in, slow rolled his program so as to allow the older guys to adjust more easily, probably win a few more games in the process... But its obvious he isn't doing any of that. He's willing to take his lumps, and there will be a lot of lumps this year unfortunately.

Its hard to say where we'll end up at the end of this season. It'll all depend on how much buy in he gets from the players, and how well his program meshes with the current guys skill sets if they do buy in. Its not looking good, at all, thus far. Much worse than I ever would have thought. It caused me to go on a tirade after the ISU game. And I'm not saying I'm going to fully enjoy the process...but you have a respect Archie for how he's going about building his own Indiana basketball program.

I was more optimistic also, but when you look at the severity of the change in approach and what we lost in JBJ, TB and OG, that's alot to overcome, especially on the offensive end. This team will struggle to score all year long, especially without Hartman, who to me is probably our best outside threat (what's happened to RJ's shot?). Robert Johnson not stepping up more as a leader, and Davis' inability to rebound the basketball are both surprising to me. Those 2 can go a long way to making this a much better season by addressing that. We have no team leaders right now seemingly. Maybe Hartman can help address that also when he returns. Smith and Durham have been pleasant surprises to me.

etc etc etc

1. When he immediately took out Green after a terrible shot in the 2nd half of the Howard game.

2. The entire coaching staffs reaction after Green's terrible one handed pass in the first half last night. Everyone of them were pissed off about it.

If you want to be a great team you have to play defense, take good shots, and take care of the basketball. It's cliche, but it's still how you win basketball games. Crean didn't emphasize any of the three.

One thing that has always stuck with me was when Beau Ryan yanked Sam Dekker out of a Final Four game when he took a terrible shot (Dekker was playing great prior to the shot). It's why he was such a great coach. He valued every position and players were held accountable when they screwed up.

Reactions: cshartle123

etc etc etc

I live in Dayton and I love basketball so I watched UD for the past few years and went to a lot of games. Miller is an outstanding coach. You're going to see this team get better through the season and I won't be at all surprised if he gets it into the NCAA tournament and wins a game or two. The team is already playing better now than at the beginning of the season. IU fans will be very happy that IU hired Miller to coach IU.

etc etc etc

I've seen a glimpse of what CAM wants his team to play like in the first half. We got down 9 and battled back with defense and some improved offensive play. I'm sure they will show a comparison of the effort and play with the first half with the second half. CAM will be able to use this game to teach the team what he wants

This isn't the roster CAM wants. This is the exact roster Crean built and would be coaching this year. TThe challenge is to get Newkirk and the other experienced player to stop the dumb behind the back passes in traffic and other dumb plays that they got away with last year. I think it is telling that Durham plays a smarter game than our 2 senior guards.

Reactions: shammy23

etc etc etc

His wife.

But I do like the hire as well. It will all work out, just gonna take a minute or two.

etc etc etc

Our team has looked foolish on the court so far. For a reason I don't understand, many are treating the team like it's an early sanction rebuild with a roster of walk ons. Fact is that it's not, and the team should be playing better than it is. I think it was time for Crean to go, but I can also admit that I don't believe we would have lost 2 games at this point if he were still coaching. I'm still hopeful that Archie will have a long and successful run at IU, but his start through three games certainly hasn't been strong, imo. The only style of basketball that I'm interested in is winning basketball, and that's not happening. I'm concerned that this season will go so poorly that it will either lengthen the time it takes for Archie to be successful or handicap it completely. It's awfully hard to recruit when you get blown out by mediocre mid-majors regularly.

Reactions: jaypay23 and cryano
Our team has looked foolish on the court so far. For a reason I don't understand, many are treating the team like it's an early sanction rebuild with a roster of walk ons. Fact is that it's not, and the team should be playing better than it is. I think it was time for Crean to go, but I can also admit that I don't believe we would have lost 2 games at this point if he were still coaching.

You're correct. Crean would have lost 3 games at this point.

Our team has looked foolish on the court so far. For a reason I don't understand, many are treating the team like it's an early sanction rebuild with a roster of walk ons. Fact is that it's not, and the team should be playing better than it is. I think it was time for Crean to go, but I can also admit that I don't believe we would have lost 2 games at this point if he were still coaching. I'm still hopeful that Archie will have a long and successful run at IU, but his start through three games certainly hasn't been strong, imo. The only style of basketball that I'm interested in is winning basketball, and that's not happening. I'm concerned that this season will go so poorly that it will either lengthen the time it takes for Archie to be successful or handicap it completely. It's awfully hard to recruit when you get blown out by mediocre mid-majors regularly.
It is the same freaking roster Crean would have coached. If you like the second half play, that is what you would have seen the entire game under Crean. Dumb play rewarded by clapping.

Of course this season will be a struggle. We've played dumb basketball for too long. Players like Newkirk that still think a behind the back pass in a crowd is a good idea will be gone and new players that weren't allowed to play stupid will replace them.

CAM has to play who he has. You will see him depend more and more on the players that do what he wants. That is going to be Smith, Durham, Davis, and two more. Hopefully Hartman is the forth. I was concerned this roster would struggle and that it would take longer to change the turnovers and bad defense. We will see stretches of good play and times they will revert back to the old way of playing. If you can't handle it, go away and check in next year.

Lighten up Goofy; it has only been 3 games.

1. Archie Miller brings a team-oriented philosophy to IU (Dayton teams were better year-to-year than one would think when looking at the roster);
2. For the medium and long term there is hope that IU will improve toward the end of the year and as years go by;
3. Defense is important (it's not good yet);
4 Valuation of the ball is increased (well in theory, I guess);
5. Reversing the flow on offense (kind of a swing offense) and use of inside/out attack (sure wish IU had some shooters but, at least, the weave is gone);
6. Archie Miller does not overhype but is direct and clear in his communication (focus and consistency will remove doubt as to what is important):
7. Emphasis on Indiana High School basketball relationships are better; and
8. We hope to see recruiting to a system not just throwing bread on the water and seeing what surfaces.

All of this will take time. It took about three years in Dayton to turn it around.

There are many positives: IU has the possibility of being consistently good in the future. Envision every year in the NCAAT. Envision the team knowing what to do when they face a zone. Envision the team actually using an inside game. Defense is not a time to take a break. Substitutions will not be negatives. Inbound plays will be successful. The coach knows his X's and O's. IU will have a team to be proud of. Winters will be a joy. March will be a hoot.

Banners? Well, there's great competition out there. IU will compete yearly at the highest level. And the students will get a good education and become good citizens.
No Archie won the conference the first year at Dayton

Why does this board get so many trolls?

You’re insulting trolls. These guys are just idiots who don’t get enough attention living in mom’s basement. I don’t put them on ignore because no matter how bad of a day I’m having, I’m always reminded that at least I’m not one of these idiots.

No Archie won the conference the first year at Dayton
Dayton, with Archie Miller at the helm, won 20 games but only were 9 - 7 and 5th in their conference the first year he was on the job. So, no, they did not win their conference in his first year there. He went 5th, 11th, T - 5th, T - 2nd, T - 1st, 1st in his 6 seasons.

They went to the NCAAT the last 4 years of the six.

Brian Gregory, who was the coach for Dayton before Archie Miller, seemed to not be able to continue bringing in good recruits and had hit his ceiling. (Not to mention he really didn't fit in at Dayton.) Archie made a lot of the first year but Gregory had left the cupboard relatively bare. But, Gregory, not like IU's previous HC, did instill the basics on offense and defense. It was team oriented play.

Other than that, nice post.

IU won't need to re-repair the trench dug in front of the IU bench from his predecessor... He actually sits down during the game and lets the team do its thing...

Lighten up Goofy; it has only been 3 games.
I know it's only three games. But did any one expect us to not even compete in two of the games? After recent bad coaching regimes. We have a right to be concerned. I know Archie has had success at Dayton but this is a higher profile job. And a loss to Indiana State is always concerning. I know we must be patient. I see both sides here. But you shouldn't criticize another poster for being concerned.

I like what I hear in the post game interview with Fischer. He doesn't make excuses for the play and he takes responsibility for the poor play. Like last night he did not sugar coat a but some of the stupid passes and carelessness with the ball

I know it's only three games. But did any one expect us to not even compete in two of the games? After recent bad coaching regimes. We have a right to be concerned. I know Archie has had success at Dayton but this is a higher profile job. And a loss to Indiana State is always concerning. I know we must be patient. I see both sides here. But you shouldn't criticize another poster for being concerned.
We competed last night and had the lead in the second half

ADVERTISEMENT