ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on in Indiana with social distancing?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/indiana-coronavirus-cases.html

Are people wearing masks in all public places? Is there somebody wiping the carts at the entrance of supermarkets? Are neighborhood get togethers the norm?

This interactive chart is pretty good. You can see how well Indiana is doing relative to every other states with the seven day moving average of new cases. One can easily see that Indiana is trending poorly.

Are people wearing masks in all public places? Is there somebody wiping the carts at the entrance of supermarkets? Are neighborhood get togethers the norm?
Here in the Peoples Republic of Bloomington, from what little I've seen, it appears that the general population is behaving itself. Lot's of people wearing masks (but not all), and everyone doing a good job of keeping their distance. But my sample size is infinitesimally small. I go to the post office most days, and have been to Big Lots twice. Otherwise, all I have is my observations in the neighborhood and what I see on my "gotta get the fvck out of the house" drives. The glaring exception are the homeless hanging out in Seminary Park next to the post office and just a block away from the Shalom Center. That's a petri dish.
This interactive chart is pretty good. You can see how well Indiana is doing relative to every other states with the seven day moving average of new cases. One can easily see that Indiana is trending poorly.
Those charts sure don't show any peak or flattening that I can see, and no downturn at all. Holcomb has so far been spared the kind of backlash that we've seen elsewhere. I see that Whitmer has extended her order in Michigan; not up on the details, but DeWine is reportedly taking a "slow path" in Ohio.

Holcomb is due to make an announcement today regarding the continuation of his stay at home order. If it was me, I'd extend it for another couple weeks to see if they can get those curves trending better. But I'm skeptical he'll do that. I'm guessing there will be some incremental "loosening" of some sort announced. Details this afternoon.

Reactions: Digressions
The central Indiana institution Longs Donuts opened this morning. The morning news program showed long lines of people waiting to get their donuts. I think the distancing and general rule following has been slipping over time.

It may be a result of this.

The central Indiana institution Longs Donuts opened this morning. The morning news program showed long lines of people waiting to get their donuts. I think the distancing and general rule following has been slipping over time.
What's funny is that a lot of people mistakenly think the order ends today. It actually ends at midnight, so the first "all clear" day (as of this posting) is tomorrow.

https://www.in.gov/gov/3232.htm

When does this order end?

This new order ends on Friday, May 1, at 11:59 p.m. ET, but could be extended if the outbreak warrants it.​

Here in Florida the social distancing continues to be refined and improved. Everyone must wear a mask in any retail building. A couple days ago I forgot my mask and went into a place where they knew me and stood at the door and just said can I pull my T-shirt up over my face and the guy said not anymore. Supermarkets are limiting how many people can be in the store and there’s a lot more signage about social distancing. Florida’s numbers as far as trends go looks good. The same with California.

And then look at Iowa! What a disaster as far as trends go. The Hawkeye state alone is making a good case for canceling the Big 10 football season

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
And then look at Iowa! What a disaster as far as trends go. The Hawkeye state alone is making a good case for canceling the Big 10 football season
Statistics are a funny thing. A big hot spot -- like at a meat processing plant -- can skew the whole state's numbers. See the Tyson plant in IN; I suspect the SD numbers have been similarly punched up. Heck, NY state probably wouldn't look so bad were it not for the city.

I just went to Petsmart for curbside pickup. In the five minutes I was there I saw several people entering and leaving the store as if nothing was any different than normal. None were wearing masks. The guy who put the stuff in my car wasn't wearing a mask.

On the other hand, the big local grocery chain is requiring masks.

Here in the Peoples Republic of Bloomington, from what little I've seen, it appears that the general population is behaving itself. Lot's of people wearing masks (but not all), and everyone doing a good job of keeping their distance. But my sample size is infinitesimally small. I go to the post office most days, and have been to Big Lots twice. Otherwise, all I have is my observations in the neighborhood and what I see on my "gotta get the fvck out of the house" drives. The glaring exception are the homeless hanging out in Seminary Park next to the post office and just a block away from the Shalom Center. That's a petri dish.

Those charts sure don't show any peak or flattening that I can see, and no downturn at all. Holcomb has so far been spared the kind of backlash that we've seen elsewhere. I see that Whitmer has extended her order in Michigan; not up on the details, but DeWine is reportedly taking a "slow path" in Ohio.

Holcomb is due to make an announcement today regarding the continuation of his stay at home order. If it was me, I'd extend it for another couple weeks to see if they can get those curves trending better. But I'm skeptical he'll do that. I'm guessing there will be some incremental "loosening" of some sort announced. Details this afternoon.

What I see when I go out for errands is the older/elderly folks don’t seem to give a flying f*** about distancing or wearing a mask. Amish are terrible about it too.

I am confused how Trump's 3 phase plan collapsed so quickly. His normal supporters are the ones who abandoned it. I guess it makes sense given I thought the plan was reasonable.

I keep hearing the big secret is to get the rate of infection to 1 or under, 1 person infects 1 other person. Or preferably less than 1 other person. Indiana is at 1.16. That is not really in the target range.

https://www.covidactnow.org/us/in

I am confused how Trump's 3 phase plan collapsed so quickly. His normal supporters are the ones who abandoned it. I guess it makes sense given I thought the plan was reasonable.
IIUC, to complete Phase I you had to show a 14 day downward trend. To my knowledge, on one has come even close to that.

Liberate!

IIUC, to complete Phase I you had to show a 14 day downward trend. To my knowledge, on one has come even close to that.

Liberate!

Right, but why are states so quick to abandon that goal. I might understand Democrats telling Trump to pound sand, but a whole lot of Republicans are doing that.

Just theoretically, would not staying closed 14 days longer be better than being forced to close down 6 more weeks later?

Right, but why are states so quick to abandon that goal. I might understand Democrats telling Trump to pound sand, but a whole lot of Republicans are doing that.
Again, IIUC, Trump's stay at home order or recommendation or advisory or suggestion or whatever it's called is set to expire today. The three phase "reopening" scenario was supposed to supplant it. As to why they're paying no attention to the Phase I guidelines, I can only assume a lack of cojones. If they could count on Trump backing them to the hilt, then they might be less anxious to open up, but he's proven he's not interested in actually promoting or defending the three phase plan. Trump is doing whatever he thinks is immediately politically expedient for him, and the Pub governors are following suit.
Just theoretically, would not staying closed 14 days longer be better than being forced to close down 6 more weeks later?
This date has been looming for some time, based both on Trump's initial whatever-it's-called and subsequent state orders. Those inclined to think this is overblown or too costly or has become too onerous have had this date front and center in their minds. Extending now will have political costs. Whitmer is willing to stay the course; DeWine is trying to thread the needle; Kent has said he's good with where they're at. I'm guessing that Holcomb will land somewhere between Kemp and DeWine. And I think that is a couple weeks too soon.

Is wearing a mask required in Indiana in all public buildings, public transportation etc..?

Statistics are a funny thing. A big hot spot -- like at a meat processing plant -- can skew the whole state's numbers. See the Tyson plant in IN; I suspect the SD numbers have been similarly punched up. Heck, NY state probably wouldn't look so bad were it not for the city.

I'd like to see the nursing home and prison numbers removed and reported separately. With two Ohio prisons reporting incredibly high numbers of positives it's skewing the overall totals.

The senior facility where my 92-year-old FIL lives, in the assisted living section, had one positive about two weeks ago. Now up to 15 residents and 2 staffers. There have recently been several deaths. This is despite all of the draconian measures that have been taken.

It is required in Florida. And the infection rate is a good bit lower than it is in Indiana. Coincidence?

Tonight we picked up Mexican from my favorite spot. I can say that almost no one is wearing a mask out and sbout. I saw 10 people or so at the food truck, maybe 50 walking around that part of campus, and only me, my wife, and one other person has had a mask on.

Tonight we picked up Mexican from my favorite spot. I can say that almost no one is wearing a mask out and sbout. I saw 10 people or so at the food truck, maybe 50 walking around that part of campus, and only me, my wife, and one other person has had a mask on.
People may be becoming less vigilant. I'm sensing fewer people wearing masks as the week went on in my trips to the post office.

Monroe county has had eight Covid deaths. There are normally more obits than that every day in the HT. I'm not surprised people aren't as concerned as they might have been a week or two ago.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT