ADVERTISEMENT

What is AOC advocating for here?

Maybe. Maybe our country has to hit rock bottom before it can heal. I don't know. I'm just saying people are going to throw a lot of things against the wall, and some of those things, when taken to their logical conclusion, are going to sound outright crazy. If AOC's comments are indeed hinting at a conversation about restricting the press, then they will turn out to be a good example. But my guess is it leads nowhere.

I’m not an expert on the law but my understanding is that the press is afforded greater protection from prosecution than you or I. I agree with that. The issue is the blurring of news and opinion. Opinion “news” has all but replaced conventional news in several formats. The question seems fairly straightforward to me. Should opinion news receive the same protection as conventional news? Said another way, should a media personality (outlet) receive greater legal protection when accusing Dominion for example than any other citizen? If it is a news piece I would expect some detail or evidence to validate the accusation. Without that I’m not convinced any greater protection should be available.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I’m not an expert on the law but my understanding is that the press is afforded greater protection from prosecution than you or I. I agree with that. The issue is the blurring of news and opinion. Opinion “news” has all but replaced conventional news in several formats. The question seems fairly straightforward to me. Should opinion news receive the same protection as conventional news? Said another way, should a media personality (outlet) receive greater legal protection when accusing Dominion for example than any other citizen? If it is a news piece I would expect some detail or evidence to validate the accusation. Without that I’m not convinced any greater protection should be available.
Dominion’s suing for $1.5B, no?

Said another way, should a media personality (outlet) receive greater legal protection when accusing Dominion for example than any other citizen? If it is a news piece I would expect some detail or evidence to validate the accusation. Without that I’m not convinced any greater protection should be available.
Dominion’s suing for $1.5B, no?
Dominion is suing Sidney Powell. In this case, I'm not sure how much of a distinction should be made between her and say Tucker or Laura.

Reactions: bigmac76
Dominion is suing Sidney Powell. In this case, I'm not sure how much of a distinction should be made between her and say Tucker or Laura.
and didn’t the networks put up a buttload of disclaimers? Sure sounds like they afraid of getting sued.

and didn’t the networks put up a buttload of disclaimers? Sure sounds like they afraid of getting sued.
It's become a real problem where "mainstream" news outlets take reports of crazy shit and report on those reports, claiming they are newsworthy.

That is the question. If XYZ network covers the Dominion story, provides available evidence, interviews individuals about the possibility Dominion flipped votes, asks them for evidence I understand and agree with enhanced protections. But if none of that is done why would they be protected differently than Sidney? To my knowledge Sidney is they only person being sued, at least for now. I have my doubts that Fox, OAN, NewsMax could be successfully sued due to the protection they receive. My position is that the news media have a responsibility to us born of the added protection we provide them.

Sidney, yes. But that is it as far as I know.

Fox reportedly paid out a 7 figure settlement to Seth Rich's parents. Yesterday some of the Fox "experts" involved in the initial Seth Rich nonsense,were forced to apologize and retract claims they made that Aaron Rich (Seth's older brother) conspired with Seth to supposedly "steal" the DNC emails. Decency appears to be winning, but it's proceeding at a snail's pace...

Reactions: SSB
I think they just sent a letter to Fox/NewsMax/OAN to cease and desist and they had to air on the station that there is no proof of dominion machines doing any fake votes.

Russian bots elected Trump
Gore won Florida
9/11 was an inside job

ALL reasonable people knows these things are true.
THEY WERE ON THE INTERNET!

(Maybe we should set up a government commission to study truth in media? What could possibly go wrong? I trust the government - don't you? But be careful - that thoughtcrime is INSIDIOUS. Just sneaks up on you.)

Reactions: DANC
Russian bots elected Trump
Gore won Florida
9/11 was an inside job

ALL reasonable people knows these things are true.
THEY WERE ON THE INTERNET!

(Maybe we should set up a government commission to study truth in media? What could possibly go wrong? I trust the government - don't you? But be careful - that thoughtcrime is INSIDIOUS. Just sneaks up on you.)
Yes. And we all remember the armed mobs that stormed the Capitol to lynch members of Congress over those injustices because the President and members of Congress themselves propogated those lies. So it is the exact same thing as what is happening in our country today.

Reactions: Cortez88
Yes. And we all remember the armed mobs that stormed the Capitol to lynch members of Congress over those injustices because the President and members of Congress themselves propogated those lies. So it is the exact same thing as what is happening in our country today.

I'm sure they will apologize and promise not to do it again.

I guess it depends what you're looking for in a representative. Or what you focus on. If nothing pisses you off more than overreaction, then I'm guessing she pisses you off regularly, because she isn't exactly, well, subtle about most things. On the other hand, she does bring some fire to the discussion by being a relative outsider who surprises insiders with her knowledge, preparation, and bluntness, which a lot of people find very refreshing.

*Shrug* When push comes to shove, she's still just one person in the House without a whole lot of pull with leadership, so her role is going to be necessarily limited.
I still have a hard time understanding the conservatives' obsession with AOC. I get the rage at Pelosi - she has real power. There are dozens of members in the House well outside the center, both directions. She has no significant influence except for the outsized publicity Fox provides her. If she's a star of the left, the credit is all due to Mr. Murdoch's talking heads

The (extremely) amateur psychologist in me thinks it's at least in part due to the fact that those middle-aged dudes on the right recognize her hotness and hate her for being out of their league - both physically and intellectually. She's that smug, bitchy girl in high school who wouldn't give you the time of day. Yet you still fantasized about getting with her and that made you even more resentful. Consequently, you raged about her being an obnoxious bitch to all your friends even though you got a raging boner while you stared at her as she piously spouted off in history class about the treatment of Native Americans.

We libtards are a little more secure and a little less subtle. We can openly admit that Sarah Palin is dumber than a bag of hammers but we'd still like to nail her if given the opportunity.

OTOH, a lot of men just honestly hate women who are smart. I don't have a clue if it's cultural, genetically ingrained, or some combination of the two.

Sidney, yes. But that is it as far as I know.

There's some heavy backtracking going on now with right-wing news orgs re Dominion. The real difficult piece in libel/slander case is proving actual harm. That's why celebrities have a tough time winning those cases. But if Dominion can make a case that the rumors and lies being spread are very likely to result in billions of dollars in future contract losses (whether by conservative-dominated governments determined to cut off a business they think played a role in stealing an election, or by public officials who don't want the potential of conservative voters' wrath when they see the name on the voting machine, or by potential purchasers who don't want to take the slightest chance that there's a single grain of truth in the tale that the machines can be rigged) they might be able to make a winning argument. Especially in front of a civil jury that has some natural suspicion of truth-in-media. My guess is that legal advice to Fox, OAN, et al is to get this potential turd in the punchbowl strained out asap.

Reactions: UncleMark and SSB
I still have a hard time understanding the conservatives' obsession with AOC. I get the rage at Pelosi - she has real power. There are dozens of members in the House well outside the center, both directions. She has no significant influence except for the outsized publicity Fox provides her. If she's a star of the left, the credit is all due to Mr. Murdoch's talking heads.

To say she has no significant influence seems like willful ignorance. She's had a significant social media footprint from the start, according to Axios, that's designed to garner the attention. Attention that is not solely derived "...because conservatives..."

Instead of crediting Fox, credit her. She's a successful influencer that is smart, articulate, opinionated, attractive, and uses social media to maximize her strengths and get some political exposure. It works. That's really it. No amateur psychology - especially the kind that reveals more about the practitioner than the recipient - is needed.

To say she has no significant influence seems like willful ignorance. She's had a significant social media footprint from the start, according to Axios, that's designed to garner the attention. Attention that is not solely derived "...because conservatives..."

Instead of crediting Fox, credit her. She's a successful influencer that is smart, articulate, opinionated, attractive, and uses social media to maximize her strengths and get some political exposure. It works. That's really it. No amateur psychology - especially the kind that reveals more about the practitioner than the recipient - is needed.

You and I have different definitions of smart and articulate.

Oh well

Reactions: DANC and hoot1
In a recent instagram story/video, she made the following statement:

I do think that several members of Congress and some of my discussions have brought up media literacy because that is a part of what happened here,” Ocasio-Cortez said during the event.

“And we're going to have to figure out how we rein in our media environment so that you can't just spew disinformation and misinformation. It's one thing to have differing opinions, but it's another thing entirely to just say things that are false.”

Is she talking about reinstating the fairness doctrine or a version of it? I think I'd be in favor of that debate happening. That said, I get a little nervous when I hear legislators talk about reigning in the media. Libel laws already exist and besides, I thought the whole idea of the 4th estate was to keep politicians honest, not the other way around.

I imagine she is referring to the fact that Trump lost the election, then Fox News entertained his false claims and fanned the flames of doubt for 2 months while he whipped his cretinous conspirators into a frenzy that culminated in a seditious terrorist attack on the capitol building- within which she was personally being targeted by the the violent offenders.

Anything wrong with being p.o.d about that?

Reactions: IU_Hickory
You're in a cult .. you have no idea what truth is, Rube.

My God, get some self awareness ..

Thanks for your response. I love ya man. I mean I love ya non gender.

Edit: your profile picture is interesting. Care to explain?

Last edited:
AOC doesn't scare old women, but she terrifies the shit out of old white men every time she speaks.

This Old White Man gets most of his news from the old fashioned media and not the social media (mostly Twitter) which according to the Cradle of Basketball post is where AOC generates influence.

So color this Old White Man as being completely amazed at why anyone cares about AOC. About as unimportant as the Kardashians and Kylie Jenner in my book.

Reactions: Circlejoe
Thanks for your response. I love ya man. I mean I love ya non gender.

Edit: your profile picture is interesting. Care to explain?

So it is ok for you to insult people but act appalled when people insult you?

Would you say that to his face?

I would say to your face anytime!

He must not be woke. I fixed my unwokeness in the first sentence. I didn’t know if he identifies as a man or woman. Hickory needs a re-education camp that Eugene Robinson wants.

Edit that re-education is for whites only.

The conservatives I know who are obsessed with AOC being the voice of the Democratic party are aged 60 - 80. They use no social media whatsoever. They don't own a computer or a smartphone. They do, however, watch Fox news religiously.

I still have a hard time understanding the conservatives' obsession with AOC. I get the rage at Pelosi - she has real power. There are dozens of members in the House well outside the center, both directions. She has no significant influence except for the outsized publicity Fox provides her. If she's a star of the left, the credit is all due to Mr. Murdoch's talking heads

The (extremely) amateur psychologist in me thinks it's at least in part due to the fact that those middle-aged dudes on the right recognize her hotness and hate her for being out of their league - both physically and intellectually. She's that smug, bitchy girl in high school who wouldn't give you the time of day. Yet you still fantasized about getting with her and that made you even more resentful. Consequently, you raged about her being an obnoxious bitch to all your friends even though you got a raging boner while you stared at her as she piously spouted off in history class about the treatment of Native Americans.

We libtards are a little more secure and a little less subtle. We can openly admit that Sarah Palin is dumber than a bag of hammers but we'd still like to nail her if given the opportunity.

OTOH, a lot of men just honestly hate women who are smart. I don't have a clue if it's cultural, genetically ingrained, or some combination of the two.
AOC hot?

Uh, not in the slightest. She's the psycho chick in high school you avoided at all costs.

An idiot calling me names is hardly offending. You don't have the brain cells that would make your opinion count for anything.
Gas Is already going up! But don’t blame me. Biden had so many brain cells they had to remove some.

This Old White Man gets most of his news from the old fashioned media and not the social media (mostly Twitter) which according to the Cradle of Basketball post is where AOC generates influence.

So color this Old White Man as being completely amazed at why anyone cares about AOC. About as unimportant as the Kardashians and Kylie Jenner in my book.
She is important because she has the potential to be a big player in a future progressive agenda. If she plays her cards right. She's a talented advocate, but remains to be seen whether she is as good a politician.

Reactions: CradleofBasketball
She is important because she has the potential to be a big player in a future progressive agenda. If she plays her cards right. She's a talented advocate, but remains to be seen whether she is as good a politician.
I don’t like her policies but I think she’s a bad-ass politician and time and numbers are on her side. When old white guys are no longer the dominant majority in Congress, she’ll be a major player.

I usually don’t agree with you, but when I do, you are usually right.

• Wow
Reactions: bawlmer
I don’t like her policies but I think she’s a bad-ass politician and time and numbers are on her side. When old white guys are no longer the dominant majority in Congress, she’ll be a major player.
My view of an effective politician is someone who has some power to set the agenda. That's generally done through committee assignments. She is on the oversight committee and financial services committee. Oversight will likely give her exposure, but it doesn't pass legislation. Financial services may give her an opportunity, but she's a junior member on a committee with about 30 Ds.

And she has taken several principled stands voting against widely supported legislation. That's always risky back home in the district. But she's bright, articulate, and famous. That can't hurt.

It will be very interesting to see if she challenges Shumer in 2022. If she pulls it off, look out.

ADVERTISEMENT