ADVERTISEMENT

what individual player do you see really improving under woody

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
I hope its hunter at times the last couple of years i though he was just over rated out of high school but he does show flashes at times that maybe a new system will really benefit him. 6 7ish guys that can stretch the floor and operate in open space can really excel if this offence is what I'm expecting. Another thing that surprised me about Jerome I thought he would have been the 1st one out the door , but never even heard rumor's of him leaving, I would love to see his loyalty pay off big time.

Phinisee under Fife & Woodson to recover his lost confidence and be a defensive stopper. Galloway to get his smooth shot back with more arch.

Phinisee under Fife & Woodson to recover his lost confidence and be a defensive stopper. Galloway to get his smooth shot back with more arch.
was galloway a good shooter in high school? I don't like his form at all, Leal to me looks like he has a nice shot

I hope its hunter at times the last couple of years i though he was just over rated out of high school but he does show flashes at times that maybe a new system will really benefit him. 6 7ish guys that can stretch the floor and operate in open space can really excel if this offence is what I'm expecting. Another thing that surprised me about Jerome I thought he would have been the 1st one out the door , but never even heard rumor's of him leaving, I would love to see his loyalty pay off big time.
I question if Hunter has the basketball IQ to benefit from coaching. Geronimo has a lot of potential. I could see him improving with an Oladipo-like work ethic. Victor had one of the biggest turn around in shooting that I can remember.

I really want phinisee to improve, agree with most it seems to be lack of confidence. He doesn't make a lot of his shots but he has hit more game winners in his career than any other on the roster. Also think we look better when he is aggressive and taking the ball to the hoop

Geronimo, Hunter, and Lander all have star potential. They are the best candidates imo. Size maybe but talent wasn't the problem under Archie.
Lander and Rob are the low hanging fruit here but every player on the roster has the opportunity to step up their game materially.

This will be fascinating to watch, I just hope we are allowed back in our seats.

Two players stick out the most to me: Lander and Hunter.

Lander remained a 5-star prospect even after reclassifying from 2021 to 2020. That says a ton about a kid's potential. With Woodson's NBA background and ability to run a cutting edge, up-tempo offense, I'd like to see what Lander could do. Obviously, his jump shot needs a tremendous amount of work, but I'm confident that an off-season under this coaching staff will result in the type of progress we'd all like to see out of Lander.

Hunter is an interesting player, as he seems to have physically recovered from the unspecified lower leg injury that held him out as a freshman. He has shown flashes of being a knockdown perimeter shooter, but he too often gets burned on the defensive end. I believe he's got tremendous upside at 6'7", but I'll be waiting until leather meets hardwood in November to make any bold proclamations about Hunter's potential.

For sure allowed back. Could see IU making you prove u have been vaccinated tho.
Personally I hope that we have to present POJ (proof of jab) or recent recovery/test. Interested in if BIG makes the decision or allows each school to decide. We will go either way, the folks who sit near us are older and are gonna be jabbed.

Reactions: baileyiu
If each of these guys come back with an attitude of team workmanship and effort to improve individually on shooting,rebounding and FREE THROW SHOOTING. CMW will have a very good top 12-15 team coming out of the gate IF they all work on the weaker points of their games to improve on. I understand Bates will only be a frosh but I feel he is going to be exceptional player,Duncomb will show a few good minutes too. My question is if Davis goes pro that is one schollie for Gunn. Where is IU going to get other schollies for a big and a forward in 22 class? Everyone is a junior or under this season.

Lander remained a 5-star prospect even after reclassifying from 2021 to 2020. That says a ton about a kid's potential. With Woodson's NBA background and ability to run a cutting edge, up-tempo offense, I'd like to see what Lander could do. Obviously, his jump shot needs a tremendous amount of work, but I'm confident that an off-season under this coaching staff will result in the type of progress we'd all like to see out of Lander.

Hunter is an interesting player, as he seems to have physically recovered from the unspecified lower leg injury that held him out as a freshman. He has shown flashes of being a knockdown perimeter shooter, but he too often gets burned on the defensive end. I believe he's got tremendous upside at 6'7", but I'll be waiting until leather meets hardwood in November to make any bold proclamations about Hunter's potential.
I think people are still hoping to see out of Hunter what they believed of him as a high school prospect. I've seen nothing that suggests he's a breakout star waiting to happen. Lots of defensive lapses and I'm never going to believe a guy is a "knock-down shooter" who struggled to get much above 50% on FTs on the year. No idea if his injury took something from him, but I don't see him as a breakout guy. I'd be happy with solid rotation guy!

Last edited:
Reactions: ekk
He never had a smooth shot to get back. If they can get him one he could be a very important part of a very good team.
I'm not sure you can correct as bad shooting form as some of our guys have. Time to do that was in Boys Club. The push shots, hip, and weird hitch (sometimes looks like a double clutch in mid-air) shots just shock me that someone could get to D1 doing that. Not everybody needs to follow the playbook, at 6'10 Larry Bird had an unorthodox shoulder shot that worked, but he could get away with it cause he was 6'10 and Larry Bird ... our guys, not so much

Geronimo could take a big leap forward.
Modeling him after players like Isiah Livers or Justise Winslow in a wing attack mode.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Lander

Hunter has a decent enough shot..
But he's been a complete catch & shoot guy..
Can he learn or dribble enough to get to the rim and flush more often?...His jumping ability last year was pretty good ..Looked Like he was as close to a 100% healthy as he s ever been..
Still think he has a bunch of untapped potential...

Geronimo will be a very good all round player. I look for him to be a force by his soph or junior season.

If Woody and company can improve Lander’s play as quick as most here are saying, they will truly be miracle workers. It’s not just his shot that needs to be rebuilt, but his passing and ball handling and pace too. For every great pass he makes, he throws a terrible one. His off hand needs a lot of work too. He plays way too hurried. But he’s very young. Needs time and work.

Easy - TJD. As talented as Trayce is, he still has soooo much untapped potential.

Davis could be the key for Woody. If Trayce develops his off-hand and a mid-range jump shot (Woodson said he personally is going to work with TJD) he'll make quite a statement on what the new IU means for players aspiring to get to the NBA.

If Woody and company can improve Lander’s play as quick as most here are saying, they will truly be miracle workers. It’s not just his shot that needs to be rebuilt, but his passing and ball handling and pace too. For every great pass he makes, he throws a terrible one. His off hand needs a lot of work too. He plays way too hurried. But he’s very young. Needs time and work.
For the most part, I don't think that he plays hurried enough. Coach should sit him down every time that he walks the ball up the court. He almost always has a speed advantage that the needs to exploit, regularly, and he needs to penetrate and figure out the angles for the proper pass. Those angles change from HS to college, due to opponent length and speed, but I think that he will "get it" soon.

If Lander can just hit rim, thats an improvement, but I still dont think hes our best pg on the roster, and unless he improves his defense, he should stay on the bench! TJD should improve just enough to where he is a 1st round draft talent, but he needs to bulk up a ton! Galloway, I think is the key to this team if he stays! He also should build up more muscle and speed, can see him being a Doug McDermot type player if he can hit his 3pters!

Geronimo will be a very good all round player. I look for him to be a force by his soph or junior season.
Needs to learn to handle the ball much better, not a good dribbler and didn't drive well. I think he is still getting used to his new body from all of the weight work. Needs to shoot like 200 FTs a day seven days a week until next season starts (of course nearly all of the players on the roster need to do that).

Lander has the most natural ability, but the mechanics on his shot are really bad, failure at basic things like squaring up. Bates has a better shot than Lander, Galloway (not sure he ever had a shot), Geronimo, Race, Phinnisee (does he even still have a shot?). I hope one of these assistants (Fife maybe) is shot doctor because so many of these players need work.

I thought IU generally played better whenever he was in the game. And despite a small sample size, so far he can shoot jump rebound and defend the post.
Can't really handle the ball and he can't shoot FTs. Both areas he needs a lot of work on.

Needs to learn to handle the ball much better, not a good dribbler and didn't drive well. I think he is still getting used to his new body from all of the weight work. Needs to shoot like 200 FTs a day seven days a week until next season starts (of course nearly all of the players on the roster need to do that).

Lander has the most natural ability, but the mechanics on his shot are really bad, failure at basic things like squaring up. Bates has a better shot than Lander, Galloway (not sure he ever had a shot), Geronimo, Race, Phinnisee (does he even still have a shot?). I hope one of these assistants (Fife maybe) is shot doctor because so many of these players need work.
Just shooting a lot of FT’s is not the answer - correcting their form is the key! Doing something wrong over & over doesn’t lead to success under stress

Just shooting a lot of FT’s is not the answer - correcting their form is the key! Doing something wrong over & over doesn’t lead to success under stress
I think the biggest problem with our shooting last year, both FT and on the floor, was between the ears on all our guys. Confidence is contagious, as is lack of it and from their body language, I thought last year's team had NO confidence the ball was going through the hoop... from layups, to FTs to 3s. Will these guys become Steph Curry: no, but I think RP, TJD, JH, KL and RT, and the rest of the freshmen can all improve their shooting, just by having a better and more confident expectation when shooting can improve all their shooting across the board.

I cant wait for people to see X's shot lol. I don't give a f how it looks as long as it goes in. Granted, better odds of it going in if you have good mechanics.

ADVERTISEMENT