ADVERTISEMENT

what individual player do you see really improving under woody

I think the biggest problem with our shooting last year, both FT and on the floor, was between the ears on all our guys. Confidence is contagious, as is lack of it and from their body language, I thought last year's team had NO confidence the ball was going through the hoop... from layups, to FTs to 3s. Will these guys become Steph Curry: no, but I think RP, TJD, JH, KL and RT, and the rest of the freshmen can all improve their shooting, just by having a better and more confident expectation when shooting can improve all their shooting across the board.

100% confidence. Hopefully Bates will change that. Seems to be a killer. Kopp has some dog in him, X for sure. We needed more dogs, and I think we addressed that. Should bring to life our lil puppies of last year, make them into some beasts.

I think TJD will be a very vocal leader this year as well.

Reactions: kkott
100% confidence. Hopefully Bates will change that. Seems to be a killer. Kopp has some dog in him, X for sure. We needed more dogs, and I think we addressed that. Should bring to life our lil puppies of last year, make them into some beasts.

x100, and it's been that way for a long time. Both TC and AM seemed to get deluded by "skill" and didn't really look for guys that had an edge to them and would push it to win. I agree with you about XJ, Kopp and from the description of Bates, they sound like they have a bit of an edge. I was always that kind of guy. If I was playing in a game with refs I didn't feel like I gave it my all if I didn't have 3-4 fouls. I wanted to see how they were going to call it and what I could get away with early in a game, and adjust accordingly. Never believed in giving up an easy basket, and still don't. Don't allow the ball to go through the hoop and make them go to the line and earn it. Also always stop the ball and make them pick it up and don't give up a layup. If I was defending on a break, I always stopped my retreat at the FT line and made the guy with the ball pick it up there and make a layup over me or make a pass, and I always tried to have a hand in the most obvious passing lane. Being a "dog" and physical doesn't mean you have to be hack and often just means having some "rules" and being consistent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh.13
I cant wait for people to see X's shot lol. I don't give a f how it looks as long as it goes in. Granted, better odds of it going in if you have good mechanics.
Poor mechanics hinders success, X knows this and has stated it is something he really wants/needs to work on. Landers poor mechanics hinders his results also. Jordan Hulls had poor shot from a mechanics perspective but shot so much that he became a great shooter results wise in spite of that. Look at X's shot, it looks like he is releasing it from his chest. I suspect at the next level those shots come back to him about 90% of the time if he even gets them off.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Just shooting a lot of FT’s is not the answer - correcting their form is the key! Doing something wrong over & over doesn’t lead to success under stress
I agree, I assume the practice comes as a result of fixing the flaws.

I hope its hunter at times the last couple of years i though he was just over rated out of high school but he does show flashes at times that maybe a new system will really benefit him. 6 7ish guys that can stretch the floor and operate in open space can really excel if this offence is what I'm expecting. Another thing that surprised me about Jerome I thought he would have been the 1st one out the door , but never even heard rumor's of him leaving, I would love to see his loyalty pay off big time.
It’s definitely not going to be Hunter!

Did you ever watch him in high school? He was a decent shooter. I’ve watched him play several times he was in the same conference as my son! He played out of position most of the time because he was the tallest player on the team that actually got minutes. His form is horrible especially since his dad uis a high profile high school coach. But he had moments where he would hit 5 or 6 in a row against you. So he wasn’t a great shooter but he wasn’t horrible either. Streaky is what I would say

It could be anyone since we have sooo many players that need fixes to their game. I think we will have 4 or 5 guys that really make a jump this year.

Last year we didn't have a single player that didn't have multiple issues with their game in my opinion. what a disaster CAM had going... really disappointed in his teams, just never thought they'd be as bad as they were.

It could be anyone since we have sooo many players that need fixes to their game. I think we will have 4 or 5 guys that really make a jump this year.

Last year we didn't have a single player that didn't have multiple issues with their game in my opinion. what a disaster CAM had going... really disappointed in his teams, just never thought they'd be as bad as they were.
wasted 4 yrs . Time to turn the page. No more talk of pack line defense or Brad Stevens. I'd rather talk about deflections.

and practice your damn free throws please.

Reactions: BHAII and Lucy01
Durr. And as he improves, so do TJD and Race.
If he is patient, Duncomb should improve by practicing against these 3.
With excellent coaching (IMO, there wasn’t even good coaching under miller), they all 4 will show improvement.
But where individual improvement will make the most significant improvement to IU BASKETBALL,
will be a result of the addition of Durr. TJD and Race will be able to practice against a legitimate BIG, (hopefully/high expectations) allowing for better execution in games.

But Foremost, having a legitimate BIG defend against other BIGS in the B10, allowing TJD and Race to be fresher late in the games, resulting in Wins!

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

Interesting point about dogs. I wonder what effect that will have on Galloway, Leals, and Lander.

I think Race has peaked. He could get better with improved shooting, but I am not expecting a jump from him.
TJD could jump if his right hand and a jump shot come along. It occurs to me he might stay all 4 years at IU to develop that.
I wonder if Geronimo could be the biggest surprise.
We shall see.

I think Race has peaked. He could get better with improved shooting, but I am not expecting a jump from him.
TJD could jump if his right hand and a jump shot come along. It occurs to me he might stay all 4 years at IU to develop that.
I wonder if Geronimo could be the biggest surprise.
We shall see.
On Geronimo. I would love to see him come first off the bench. Crowd favorite be praying for him. Be nice to see him come in and just lock down the other teams “3” and hustle for loose balls, dive on the floor, draw a charge, knock down an open three. He could avg 6-7ppg 4 rpg and still be our most loved Hoosier on this roster. He has that “ability” outside of the offensive stats.

On Geronimo. I would love to see him come first off the bench. Crowd favorite be praying for him. Be nice to see him come in and just lock down the other teams “3” and hustle for loose balls, dive on the floor, draw a charge, knock down an open three. He could avg 6-7ppg 4 rpg and still be our most loved Hoosier on this roster. He has that “ability” outside of the offensive stats.
Lander, Galloway, Geronimo
Don’t forget Super Shooter Leal.

Durr. And as he improves, so do TJD and Race.
If he is patient, Duncomb should improve by practicing against these 3.
With excellent coaching (IMO, there wasn’t even good coaching under miller), they all 4 will show improvement.
But where individual improvement will make the most significant improvement to IU BASKETBALL,
will be a result of the addition of Durr. TJD and Race will be able to practice against a legitimate BIG, (hopefully/high expectations) allowing for better execution in games.

But Foremost, having a legitimate BIG defend against other BIGS in the B10, allowing TJD and Race to be fresher late in the games, resulting in Wins!
Wins will come because of improved perimeter play on both ends of floor. It's that simple.

I hope its hunter at times the last couple of years i though he was just over rated out of high school but he does show flashes at times that maybe a new system will really benefit him. 6 7ish guys that can stretch the floor and operate in open space can really excel if this offence is what I'm expecting. Another thing that surprised me about Jerome I thought he would have been the 1st one out the door , but never even heard rumor's of him leaving, I would love to see his loyalty pay off big time.
I was watching some clips of Geronimo and I hope this young man takes off this year. He could be a nightmare matchup with his size and strength.

1. Lander 1a Geronimo

These two have the potential of being all B1G! They will add a speed and athleticism to this team which has been sorely lacking

Reactions: LifeLong_IU77
Geronimo, if I am forced to pick just one. He has the most untapped potential IMHO. I will bet that Woodson gets all of their attentions so much better than Archie ever did. Hopefully they will listen. This IU team has potential to be much more consistent. They may not have top-of-the-BIG talent yet, but they need to stop losing games they should win. Woodson has the opportunity to get consistent and intelligent play out of these players.

The Hoosiers need everyone to get better. Archie Miller’s biggest problem was he was putting a team on the floor that was not very good.

Hell, his first season he had a co-captain that played 15 minutes a game and never attempted a free-throw for the entire season. Basically that means the opponent coaches told his players not to be concerned about this guy driving to the basket because he knew his shot was going to be blocked or the ball is going to be stolen.

And then of course there was Priller who somehow managed to go all four years without finding the weight room.

I think that might’ve been a first in NCAA history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT