ADVERTISEMENT

What if's

IndyMitchell

Benchwarmer
Apr 29, 2008
With all the smoke of change coming to the program it got me thinking about all of the what if's. I think Coach Crean is a better coach than what people give him credit for. With that being said, I don't think he is the right fit at Indiana. I think he will have a very positive time at his next program. A lot of breaks didn't go IU/Crean's way. Again, assuming the noise that change is coming is true.

What if he doesn't have to start from ZERO. The only returning player was a former walk-on. Even a few role players would have been nice.

What if Kyrie Irving plays at IU. He could have made IU a popular spot for top recruits and their team would have been much better. (assuming he doesn't get injured)

What if Maurice Creek doesn't get hurt. Again, he was going to be IU's best player that year and the next.

What if the 2012 class (all guys with Indiana ties) was a home run. Crean had a chance to be THE school for top Indiana kids. That momentum could have been huge. Instead, underachieving and injuries.

What if Verdell Jones doesn't get hurt right before the NCAA tournament in 2012.

What if IU didn't have to face the hands down best team in the 2012 NCAA tourney (KY). Any other bracket could have very easily meant a potential F4 run. That team was really good! The VCU team that they had to beat prior to the KY game was a F4 team the year before.

What if IU doesn't draw Syracuse in 2013. What if Hulls doesn't get hurt right before that game. They were a tough match up with their length. They had 5-6 inches on Hulls and Yogi. Cody had 3 guys w/ length collapsing on him.

What if Blackmon & Robert Johnson were healthy enough to play against NC. Hartman had to played injured.

What if we didn't lose Hartman for the year. He was suppose to be the glue guy for this team. Then we lose OG to boot.

Again, these are just what if's. I think IU and Crean will both benefit from a change. My guess is that Glass wants to treat Coach Crean right as he probably leaves soon. He won't have this much bad luck at his next stop. He also has a skill of finding guys that are under the radar. He did things the right way, no scandals, no issues that he personally caused, works hard, cares about the players, etc.

Reactions: jverlb and ORG
With all the smoke of change coming to the program it got me thinking about all of the what if's. I think Coach Crean is a better coach than what people give him credit for. With that being said, I don't think he is the right fit at Indiana. I think he will have a very positive time at his next program. A lot of breaks didn't go IU/Crean's way. Again, assuming the noise that change is coming is true.

What if he doesn't have to start from ZERO. The only returning player was a former walk-on. Even a few role players would have been nice.

What if Kyrie Irving plays at IU. He could have made IU a popular spot for top recruits and their team would have been much better. (assuming he doesn't get injured)

What if Maurice Creek doesn't get hurt. Again, he was going to be IU's best player that year and the next.

What if the 2012 class (all guys with Indiana ties) was a home run. Crean had a chance to be THE school for top Indiana kids. That momentum could have been huge. Instead, underachieving and injuries.

What if Verdell Jones doesn't get hurt right before the NCAA tournament in 2012.

What if IU didn't have to face the hands down best team in the 2012 NCAA tourney (KY). Any other bracket could have very easily meant a potential F4 run. That team was really good! The VCU team that they had to beat prior to the KY game was a F4 team the year before.

What if IU doesn't draw Syracuse in 2013. What if Hulls doesn't get hurt right before that game. They were a tough match up with their length. They had 5-6 inches on Hulls and Yogi. Cody had 3 guys w/ length collapsing on him.

What if Blackmon & Robert Johnson were healthy enough to play against NC. Hartman had to played injured.

What if we didn't lose Hartman for the year. He was suppose to be the glue guy for this team. Then we lose OG to boot.

Again, these are just what if's. I think IU and Crean will both benefit from a change. My guess is that Glass wants to treat Coach Crean right as he probably leaves soon. He won't have this much bad luck at his next stop. He also has a skill of finding guys that are under the radar. He did things the right way, no scandals, no issues that he personally caused, works hard, cares about the players, etc.

It makes sense to me to let a defeated foe have some dignity.

Cared about them so much that his name became a verb for getting rid of them?

Lot of other bs in your post. No other coach has his kinda bad luck. Poor Tom the Martyr.

You are not real.

Poor us drawing syracuse when we are a 1 seed. How dare should we expect to beat a 4 seed. Lol.

Reactions: hondo314
There are probably thirty programs that can play the what if.

What if we moved on from Crean after year three and grabbed Stevens when he was right there for the taking?

What if we moved on from Mike Davis and grabbed Matta or Pearl.

What if we had a real coaching search in 2001 and grabbed Pitino.

What if we would have hired Bobby Leonard like the family wanted because he was connected to our last national title instead of Bob Knight from Ohio State?

Poor us drawing syracuse when we are a 1 seed. How dare should we expect to beat a 4 seed. Lol.
Not to mention we actually limped into the tournament with a first round loss in Big to an inferior wisky team and we barely beat St johns in round of 32

What if a video doesnt surface with RMK choking Reed and he has the same 4 year span that Crean had. There would start to be fan pressure and discontent for him to be fired or step down and yet we cant fire this stupid putz

Which begs the question...has Crean looked into his strength and conditioning program? My goodness his team is always hurt

There are probably thirty programs that can play the what if.

What if we moved on from Crean after year three and grabbed Stevens when he was right there for the taking?

What if we moved on from Mike Davis and grabbed Matta or Pearl.

What if we had a real coaching search in 2001 and grabbed Pitino.

What if we would have hired Bobby Leonard like the family wanted because he was connected to our last national title instead of Bob Knight from Ohio State?
Slick wasn't coming to IU. Branch told him not to trust that Michigan man, Orwig.

Reactions: iubhounds
Which begs the question...has Crean looked into his strength and conditioning program? My goodness his team is always hurt
Interesting observation. I've been curious about all the non-contact injuries we've had. I don't remember any season ending non-contact injuries from my generation. It makes you wonder if they are under-worked, over-worked, or that today's athletes just have more stress on their bodies. I'd like to see how prevalent these types of injuries are across the rest of the NCAA.

What if the IU coach made adjustments in real time, in game situations.
What if CTC knew how to make logical substitutions.
etc..........

Two more? How so?
one with Henderson and one with Scott May . Scott May had broke his arm and I think he actually came back for the NCAA tournament was not nearly the same player and they lost to UK. Wasnt that 75 I think and then the next season they had the undefeated one. So yes, 1 with Scott May getting hurt and then with Henderson.

What if I told you there was no such thing as rock bottom......the tagline if they did a 30-for-30 on the post-RMK years.

IU lost to UW in the semi finals of the BTT.
Ok, my bad. I went back and looked and Indiana had beaten Illinois the first round. As strong as that team was or should have been they had some pretty bad losses that year, at home to Ohio St, at Illinois, and at Minnesota, and also the Butler game. Now I understand I dont expect to win every single game but thats 4 losses that honestly shouldnt happen and it can all be erased by a good NCAA run and that definitely didnt happen. I know we cant expect deep runs every year but this underachieving year is then followed up by missed NCAA, a 10 seed early round exit and also another missed NCAA.

Reactions: bsmitty08
My point is that I think he will do just fine at his next program. It just didn't work out here like people would have liked or like he would have liked. His style of play appeals to a lot of kids and will appeal to most fan bases. The fast paced, go go go, out athlete you is appealing to many fans and it mirrors the NBA a bit. He also really works on each kid's individual game really well. I think he will have better luck, more 4 year guys, & more success at his next stop. This reminds me a bit of when you dated a girl that was nice, didn't do anything wrong, tried hard but you knew she wasn't the one.

Growing up in Indiana, outsmarting your opponent and being extra solid in fundamentals is what is expected. You want good athletic guys but sometimes you have to have a strategy to overcome that. That is basically how IU had their good tournament runs.

one with Henderson and one with Scott May . Scott May had broke his arm and I think he actually came back for the NCAA tournament was not nearly the same player and they lost to UK. Wasnt that 75 I think and then the next season they had the undefeated one. So yes, 1 with Scott May getting hurt and then with Henderson.
Ah, didn't see the AH reference. May came back and played but he wasn't the same. Tough loss.

Ok, my bad. I went back and looked and Indiana had beaten Illinois the first round. As strong as that team was or should have been they had some pretty bad losses that year, at home to Ohio St, at Illinois, and at Minnesota, and also the Butler game. Now I understand I dont expect to win every single game but thats 4 losses that honestly shouldnt happen and it can all be erased by a good NCAA run and that definitely didnt happen. I know we cant expect deep runs every year but this underachieving year is then followed up by missed NCAA, a 10 seed early round exit and also another missed NCAA.
That team could've been much better. UW and SU were simply smarter and better prepared.

What if CTC coached a little defense
What if CTC developed some semblance of a half court offense
What if CTC knew how to coach big men and get the ball to them
What if CTC didn't haphazardly substitute

I am so over CTC if he started to win consistently with his "system" I still wouldn't watch.

What if the IU coach made adjustments in real time, in game situations.
What if CTC knew how to make logical substitutions.
etc..........

He is too busy reading his notes on those 8.5"x11" cards on the scorers bench to make any real time game adjustments. Plus he never played the game at any level by his admission, sat the bench in high school. Because of that I doubt he has a feel for the game that most players have.

What if Branch McCracken didn't have to go serve in the military between his two National Championships? What if the NCAA had only punished IU's football team in 1960 instead of screwing the basketball program? Maybe Branch could have hung a couple more banners.

My point is that I think he will do just fine at his next program. It just didn't work out here like people would have liked or like he would have liked. His style of play appeals to a lot of kids and will appeal to most fan bases. The fast paced, go go go, out athlete you is appealing to many fans and it mirrors the NBA a bit. He also really works on each kid's individual game really well. I think he will have better luck, more 4 year guys, & more success at his next stop. This reminds me a bit of when you dated a girl that was nice, didn't do anything wrong, tried hard but you knew she wasn't the one.

Growing up in Indiana, outsmarting your opponent and being extra solid in fundamentals is what is expected. You want good athletic guys but sometimes you have to have a strategy to overcome that. That is basically how IU had their good tournament runs.

Crean can have sporadic success that would make him a rock star at a place like LSU.

His philosophy can have great moments and disastrous lows. I liken it to deciding that the best way to get to work each day is to drive 120 mph. Occasionally it might work and people will be amazed at how quickly I got to work that day. There a lot of things that could adversely effect my driving philosophy though and when they do...and they will... I'm gonna look pretty stupid to even the dumbest of drivers.

Reactions: IndyMitchell

What if Cody picked Butler?

What if Temple finishes the 2013 team off in the 2nd round?

What if Beilein didn't run Max Bielfeldt off at Michigan?

He had some good breaks too.

What if Tom Crean taught defense that worked?

What if Tom Crean was able to make in-game adjustments?

What if Tom Crean had not creaned Ron Patterson, thereby alienating area coaches?

What if Tom Crean was a disciplinarian from the beginning?

What if Tom Crean took responsibility for being the leader, instead of blaming non-leaders he recruited who do not have that personality?

What if Tom Crean had the integrity to admit he is not the caliber of coach needed for tradition-rich Indiana University?

What if Tom Crean could have not looked incompetent vs Syracuse in 2013?

What if Tom Crean started to value possessions instead of trying to outrun teams even when it's obviously not working?

What if Tom Crean was willing to take the money offered by Missouri, instead of trying to find another dipshit who'd overpay him like his friend, not boss, currently does?

Reactions: fpeaugh
What if Tom Crean taught defense that worked?

What if Tom Crean was able to make in-game adjustments?

What if Tom Crean had not creaned Ron Patterson, thereby alienating area coaches?

What if Tom Crean was a disciplinarian from the beginning?

What if Tom Crean took responsibility for being the leader, instead of blaming non-leaders he recruited who do not have that personality?

What if Tom Crean had the integrity to admit he is not the caliber of coach needed for tradition-rich Indiana University?

What if Tom Crean could have not looked incompetent vs Syracuse in 2013?

What if Tom Crean started to value possessions instead of trying to outrun teams even when it's obviously not working?

What if Tom Crean was willing to take the money offered by Missouri, instead of trying to find another dipshit who'd overpay him like his friend, not boss, currently does?
What if the Mizzou offer was actually real?

Reactions: Bligedy
Ah, didn't see the AH reference. May came back and played but he wasn't the same. Tough loss.
My initial response with May was quoting somebody else that mentioned Grahm and AH. I added in Scott May and was referring to both could have been national title contenders that year. By no means does it guarantee we would have. If we win it in 75 with May then do we go on our tear the next season and win it all too with an undefeated team, who knows. Guess you could play devils advocate and wonder if Keith Smart didnt hit that shot in 87 we would be 40 years removed from a NC.

What if Cody picks UNC? What if Watford missed? What if Crean was a good coach?

See, this is why what ifs are pointless. Fun, but pointless. They serve no purpose at all

What if Cody picks UNC? What if Watford missed? What if Crean was a good coach?

See, this is why what ifs are pointless. Fun, but pointless. They serve no purpose at all
One of my points with writing this was to show that one or two years with big recruits or good luck can be viewed with too much importance. Cody coming to IU completely changed the whole complexion of the program at that time. The 2002 Championship Game run changed most people's view of the program at the time. FG and fans need to keep this in mind when looking for the next coach. Anyone can win when all the top recruits say yes. We need a guy that can find a way to win w/ a team even when the injuries happen or when the top recruits aren't there. To be honest, that is what scares me w/ Billy Donovan. He could recruit with the very best of them but when he wasn't stocked with top talent his teams struggled.

I will be rooting for Coach Davis for as long as he coaches. I am really glad that he has reached the tournament again. I will also be rooting for Coach Crean for as long as he coaches too. They gave their best and I will always appreciate their efforts.

What if Big George didn't bolt for the ABA? What if Larry Bird didn't bolt at all? IU may have strung a bunch of titles together in 70's.

What if Mike Woodson doesn't have a back injury in 1980?

What if Landon Turner doesn't turn his game around in the BiG season during 1981?

I love this game . . . .

What if Big George didn't bolt for the ABA?

World War III would have been fought in daily battles between McGinnis and RMK at IU's men's basketball practices, and IU never goes to the Final Four with Steve Downing and John Ritter . . . .

What if Larry Bird didn't bolt at all?

Bird becomes a primary screener for others to shoot as the prototype for Steve Bouchie's IU career . . . remember, Bird upped his game during the year he took off from college after leaving IU by playing highly competitive pick up games with adults in French Lick . . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT