ADVERTISEMENT

What I am most excited about for next years team

Beorik

Junior
Sep 25, 2019
In a word, toughness.

Looking back at the 2020 Hoosiers I saw Race Thompson as incredibly tough. Then there was a pretty big gap and you had probably Trey Galloway and Aljami Durham who were tough at times. Then there was in my opinion a group of players who I will say played soft mostly. I don’t want to call them soft players because I don’t know that for a fact, but there was a lot of times they certainly played like it. That list includes Armaan Franklin, Jerome Hunter, Khristian Lander, and Rob Phinisee. That is a lot of minutes being played without a ton of toughness. In my opinion most of the other fell in the spectrum in between. I just don’t think that was enough toughness to get through the many hard games you play in the Big Ten.

When I look at the players that Coach Woodson has brought in this year, I see toughness as a theme. In the transfer market we brought in Xavier Johnson and Michael Durr who I believe will immediately compete with Thompson for toughness. Then we have Miller Kopp and Parker Stewart who may not be that level but certainly look to be similar to Galloway in toughness. Plus, both freshman Tamar Bates and Logan Duncomb appear to be incredibly hard-nosed. From what I have seen on Bates he could come in and challenge Race for toughness from day one.

I am not one of the people who has thought our talent was lacking overall the last 10 years or so. I do feel that we have been lacking toughness though. Here’s to hoping next year is the first step towards fixing that!!!!!

In a word, toughness.

Looking back at the 2020 Hoosiers I saw Race Thompson as incredibly tough. Then there was a pretty big gap and you had probably Trey Galloway and Aljami Durham who were tough at times. Then there was in my opinion a group of players who I will say played soft mostly. I don’t want to call them soft players because I don’t know that for a fact, but there was a lot of times they certainly played like it. That list includes Armaan Franklin, Jerome Hunter, Khristian Lander, and Rob Phinisee. That is a lot of minutes being played without a ton of toughness. In my opinion most of the other fell in the spectrum in between. I just don’t think that was enough toughness to get through the many hard games you play in the Big Ten.

When I look at the players that Coach Woodson has brought in this year, I see toughness as a theme. In the transfer market we brought in Xavier Johnson and Michael Durr who I believe will immediately compete with Thompson for toughness. Then we have Miller Kopp and Parker Stewart who may not be that level but certainly look to be similar to Galloway in toughness. Plus, both freshman Tamar Bates and Logan Duncomb appear to be incredibly hard-nosed. From what I have seen on Bates he could come in and challenge Race for toughness from day one.

I am not one of the people who has thought our talent was lacking overall the last 10 years or so. I do feel that we have been lacking toughness though. Here’s to hoping next year is the first step towards fixing that!!!!!

Race might play tough but he is not a leader. He reminds me a lot of Juwan in his demeanor. Great guys to go to war with, but you don't want them as the leader, he is strictly a soldier. TJD and Tamar I expect to be the leader of this team.

Reactions: hoosier48
Race might play tough but he is not a leader. He reminds me a lot of Juwan in his demeanor. Great guys to go to war with, but you don't want them as the leader, he is strictly a soldier. TJD and Tamar I expect to be the leader of this team.
I don’t disagree. But leadership and toughness are two different attributes. Ideally you want both but unless Bates has them both right away I don’t see it on this team. Perhaps Johnson will have both. I just do not view TJD as tough.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I don’t disagree. But leadership and toughness are two different attributes. Ideally you want both but unless Bates has them both right away I don’t see it on this team. Perhaps Johnson will have both. I just do not view TJD as tough.

I think we are really watching growth in TJD. He needed to be coached up IMO last year. When he did (rarely) he showed he could be tough and play with passion. Unfortunately, it took an ass kicking in the 1st half to wake him up a lot. I am hoping he continues to grow, and with the new staff, he plays more consistent.

I think we are really watching growth in TJD. He needed to be coached up IMO last year. When he did (rarely) he showed he could be tough and play with passion. Unfortunately, it took an ass kicking in the 1st half to wake him up a lot. I am hoping he continues to grow, and with the new staff, he plays more consistent.
Agreed and I think adding more tough minded players will help too. Toughness can become a team mentality when you get enough of them together. The old Pistons teams come to mind.

Agreed and I think adding more tough minded players will help too. Toughness can become a team mentality when you get enough of them together. The old Pistons teams come to mind.
I think you’re going to find that a culture that includes “toughness” takes much longer to build than one off season, especially since it’s been a missing element in the program for many years. I think Woodson can build it, but it will definitely take time.

Reactions: hoosier48
I'd like to think that ANYONE not playing tough or with all out effort will find their arse on the bench. Seems pretty simple, but it was a motivational tool that Archie seldom used. That is the toughness that I'm looking forward to seeing. Oh, and winning.

I think they all needed to be coached, but maybe more importantly they (mainly Lander) needed confidence and chemistry. I am all in with Woodson and believe he assembled a staff not just for the future, but for immediate help. He clearly knows this team underwhelmed people and I feel like he knows how to fix these issues.
BTW watch the Big channel yesterday and saw how IU used to hit free throws and 3's....it was fun and hope Woody has this team fun to watch again.

I think they all needed to be coached, but maybe more importantly they (mainly Lander) needed confidence and chemistry. I am all in with Woodson and believe he assembled a staff not just for the future, but for immediate help. He clearly knows this team underwhelmed people and I feel like he knows how to fix these issues.
BTW watch the Big channel yesterday and saw how IU used to hit free throws and 3's....it was fun and hope Woody has this team fun to watch again.
Our FT shooting paired with the motion offense was a huge weapon, especially in the 2nd half of close games. Those days are long gone. But...would still be nice to shoot 70%+ as a team for a season again. Another one of CAM's legacies from which we have to recover.

Reactions: BHAII
I think you’re going to find that a culture that includes “toughness” takes much longer to build than one off season, especially since it’s been a missing element in the program for many years. I think Woodson can build it, but it will definitely take time.
Perhaps, but the team we’ll see next season might not look anything like the one from the previous two. I can see one or two guys from last year getting significant minutes and I can see a team full of newcomers on the floor most of the time. With all of the new players, plus a new coaching staff, the dynamics of the program has changed considerably. And remember too that Woodson has brought in some veteran players, via the portal, so this will be an experienced group, which includes existing upperclassmen, TJD, Phinisee, and Race.

Perhaps, but the team we’ll see next season might not look anything like the one from the previous two. I can see one or two guys from last year getting significant minutes and I can see a team full of newcomers on the floor most of the time. With all of the new players, plus a new coaching staff, the dynamics of the program has changed considerably. And remember too that Woodson has brought in some veteran players, via the portal, so this will be an experienced group, which includes existing upperclassmen, TJD, Phinisee, and Race.
Bit the next game under this staff will be the first, and establishing a winning culture takes time, regardless of the components. If we’ve seen one consistent thing over the last two decades, it’s that the positive impact of change never occurs as quickly or smoothly as people hope it will. I understand short memories, but history tells us very conclusively that these things take longer than most people generally estimate.

Bit the next game under this staff will be the first, and establishing a winning culture takes time, regardless of the components. If we’ve seen one consistent thing over the last two decades, it’s that the positive impact of change never occurs as quickly or smoothly as people hope it will. I understand short memories, but history tells us very conclusively that these things take longer than most people generally estimate.
Ordy, this thread is about toughness, and you know nothing about that. You are a cowardly lion. All roar, nothing else. STFU. Nobody wants to read your garbage posts Ordy.

In a word, toughness.

Didn’t Johnson quit on his Pitt team? What was the story there?

Ordy, this thread is about toughness, and you know nothing about that. You are a cowardly lion. All roar, nothing else. STFU. Nobody wants to read your garbage posts Ordy.
This place is about IU basketball, something you’ve demonstrated you know absolutely nothing about. Leave, little boy. We both know you have no business bringing your incredibly dumb ass here, and we both know you don’t have the first clue about IU sports. Go be the lazy, idiot stoner that we all know will be the zenith of your miserable existence. Once you’ve looked up all of the bigger words, I’m sure we’ll be treated to another illiterate and inane response from your (still) dumb ass. Thanks, in advance, for wasting our time.

And thanks for continuing to stalk me. I knew you wouldn’t be able to stay away, since I own your meager mind. Lol

This place is about IU basketball, something you’ve demonstrated you know absolutely nothing about. Leave, little boy. We both know you have no business bringing your incredibly dumb ass here, and we both know you don’t have the first clue about IU sports. Go be the lazy, idiot stoner that we all know will be the zenith of your miserable existence. Once you’ve looked up all of the bigger words, I’m sure we’ll be treated to another illiterate and inane response from your (still) dumb ass. Thanks, in advance, for wasting our time.

And thanks for continuing to stalk me. I knew you wouldn’t be able to stay away, since I own your meager mind. Lol
So witty. :rolleyes: Just insults and projection. It’s all you have left. You’ve been called out and embarrassed by me. Keep flailing about though, as it totally suits you Ordy.

So witty. :rolleyes: Just insults and projection. It’s all you have left. You’ve been called out and embarrassed by me. Keep flailing about though, as it totally suits you Ordy.
Nah. You’ve been exposed as someone who can’t talk IU sports, so you resort to stalking to overcome your inferiority. You‘ve only embarrassed yourself. And, as usual, you’re not able to add anything about IU basketball. You really don’t belong here.

He won't stop. This is his life. Just stop giving him and audience and he won't be able to trash every thread.

Nah. You’ve been exposed as someone who can’t talk IU sports, so you resort to stalking to overcome your inferiority. You‘ve only embarrassed yourself. And, as usual, you’re not able to add anything about IU basketball. You really don’t belong here.
Oh Ordy. You are being called out, not stalked. Everyone here is embarrassed for you, since I gave you everything you asked for, and you moved the goalposts yet again. You claim that you’re a big IU fan, so you’ll clearly be at the Idaho game. Come say Hi and take a picture. That’s all Ordy.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Oh Ordy. You are being called out, not stalked. Everyone here is embarrassed for you, since I gave you everything you asked for, and you moved the goalposts yet again. You claim that you’re a big IU fan, so you’ll clearly be at the Idaho game. Come say Hi and take a picture. That’s all Ordy.
No, stalked. It‘s a tactic of the weak. Court has done the same thing since I busted him as a serial liar, and you’re doing it now since I’ve busted you for not being able to talk IU sports. Your inferiority complex should concern you.

He won't stop. This is his life. Just stop giving him and audience and he won't be able to trash every thread.
Jimmy Laskowski. Crean being fired immediately after winning the Big Ten championship. Being an IU grad. The HYPER. Phantom DM’s. Your lies are well known to all. Oh, and your conduct on the Purdue board. Wow.

Reactions: Lucy01
This from someone who has replied to him over 2000 times! Does this mean you've seen the error of your ways?
My response rate was nowhere close to his (which is over 2K just since he swore to never respond ro me again) but to your point; yes I wasted my time on ordy and that of others here. I see others falling into the trap and see how silly it is to enable this lying sack of shit.

My apologies.

I repent!

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
My response rate was nowhere close to his (which is over 2K just since he swore to never respond ro me again) but to your point; yes I wasted my time on ordy and that of others here. I see others falling into the trap and see how silly it is to enable this lying sack of shit.

My apologies.

I repent!
DING!

Again, this all started because you became angry when I caught you lying about Crean. You’ve continued to double down and you’re now well known for it here. This is all on you, sport, and you know it.

Last edited:
From what I saw, he was hustling down the court yesterday, that alone is a +...

From what I saw, he was hustling down the court yesterday, that alone is a +...
He was hustling for sure.
I got a few requests to cut it off. No one important, but I’d rather see what happens again tomorrow before someone really decides to can my account. Let that happen tomorrow! More filming to do lol

He was hustling for sure.
I got a few requests to cut it off. No one important, but I’d rather see what happens again tomorrow before someone really decides to can my account. Let that happen tomorrow! More filming to do lol
Far as I know, recording on your phone doesn't 'violate' anything/anyone. What one may or may not do with it afterwards is another matter, but for personal use, pffft.

Doubt if any Conference personnel made the trip - any official IU presence there apart from Program Staff?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT